coasters and drops

I am curious why you said Test Track is not an option? :confused: It doesn't have any huge drops or anything. If you can do BTMRR and 7DMT then TT should be a breeze. My DFi hates rollercoasters and will not do anything of the sort, but loves TT.

I'm guessing that was meant to be Tower of Terror, not Test Track. I love TT, but no way am I going on ToT!

I'm not a complete wimp, I love BTMR, 7D and EE if I can ride in the front (I know it's all going the same speed, but feels slower in the front to me, don't judge :crazy:) Having said that, I hated Splash, once and done for me.
I have done ToT and the preshow was scarier then the actual drop. But had we dropped twice more, dh might have gotten a little green around the gills.

I hate drops. I don't like Splash at all but ride it for the kids. I much prefer WDW to DLR on this ride, because you have a lap bar, so you feel a ton more secure. I timed the drop while watching the ride (less than 3 seconds) and it still took me several trips to get the courage to go on it. My tips (1) only ride with a FP, it is too stressful to wait in line when you are nervous to ride, (2) I plan what kind of poses my family will do on the ride (it gives me something to talk to them about on the way up the hill which keeps me a little distracted).

For the small coasters, sitting in the front really helps those little hills feel little, because you are half way down them before it starts moving. I can get that lose my stomach feeling on Barnstormer - the front really helps.

On RnR, scream on takeoff. I used to be scared and close my eyes and hold my breath - which makes the feeling in your stomach worse. Screaming (letting your air out) during take off makes it completely manageable. I now love the ride!

No advice on Tower of Terror - I won't ride that one :)

It took me 8 lifetime trips to ride Splash for the first time. I rode with DS11 with DW in the row behind us. I was near to having a panic attack. DW doing everything she could to soothe me. Didn't even notice the final 'scene' at the top of the big drop when Brer Rabbit is tied up. Rode down it clutching for life and holding my breath.

Then I rode it a few more times. Last one I was brave enough to hold both arms up for the picture. Splash was my "gateway drop" as I then had enough courage to try EE. Did it once and would try again, but didn't that trip. I would have done Space on our last day, but we never made it over there.

Still haven't done ToT or RnRC (that's DW and DS in the back row of my avatar, but not me in the front), but I might give them a try next trip.

It's really not too bad. Give it a shot, at least once.

Couldn't agree more!! Expedition Everest is still my favorite Disney roller coaster. Ironically, the biggest drop actually looks scarier from the ground than it is in the ride itself, in my opinion. It's actually so smooth and happens so fast that by the time you feel it, you're immediately climbing back up and around back into the mountain. Unlike a Splash Mountain, where there's this whole psychological buildup that you're going to have *the big drop* at the end. It's definitely worth a try even for people who don't think they like drops.

HINT: SDD, if you have any fears, sit on the right side.

Okay, I'll bite...why is the right side less scary?

When we get on rides I usually put my DS (disabled) on first then I get on. This is what we did the first 5-6 times on SDD. Well it banks a lot and at times banks high up off ground. We are both "height intimidated" but he is non-verbal so likely can't express any concerns. It occurred to me that most the ride banks left putting him in direct view of the ground. Last trip I got in first and kept him on the right. OH MY, yes I was hanging down and looking down and it was much scarier than sitting on the right. I felt really bad I had made him sit there all those times. And felt lucky it hadn't triggered a panic attack.

When we get on rides I usually put my DS (disabled) on first then I get on. This is what we did the first 5-6 times on SDD. Well it banks a lot and at times banks high up off ground. We are both "height intimidated" but he is non-verbal so likely can't express any concerns. It occurred to me that most the ride banks left putting him in direct view of the ground. Last trip I got in first and kept him on the right. OH MY, yes I was hanging down and looking down and it was much scarier than sitting on the right. I felt really bad I had made him sit there all those times. And felt lucky it hadn't triggered a panic attack.
Well that's something I hadn't thought of!! I hope you don't still feel bad - who could've known this without experimenting like you did?

This is so helpful!! I wish I could do a no-drop Splash option, haha. I would love to see the ride. It does look steep but also looks like the actual drop is over fast.
I know, right? I always think there should be a chicken exit from the boat at the point before you go up to the drop. But it's really only one good scream.

I'm deathly afraid of drops too. 7DMT is doable for me if I'm in the first few rows cause you don't really feel the drop much up front because it starts out slow and controlled down the hill. I love BTMR and don't feel there are any big drops in that one. I'm ok with Space Mountain because I can't see the drops coming, and the drops don't feel overly long anyway. I absolutely can't stand Splash! I go on it for my kids and it has been consistently horrible for me every time.

Just went on Slinky last trip 2x and the first time I was paralyzed with fear. The second time I almost enjoyed it. I just closed my eyes on 2 parts. I'm anxious to try it again next month because it's such a cute ride and I really want to love it. The key is to go on it at night and focus on how cool the ride looks all lit up. Surprisingly I wasn't bothered by drops but more the going up parts.

ToT will never happen for me. EE maybe someday. RRC I'm trying next month.

I went on Splash and survived. The kids were thrilled that I went on it and we got a hilarious picture of me screaming. I don’t need to do it again :laughing: But now I’m trying to work up the nerve to do SDD on Saturday.

No one seems to have pointed out the cute theming of the coaster. When the car stops partially through the ride and does a "launch" again, you can hear Slinky's coils compress and make all sorts of fun slinky noises throughout the ride. There's an adorable Weezy animatronic at the end of the ride! The track lights up at night! If you go at night you can't see the ground if that's the type of thing that bothers you. I think it's worth it for the fun elements that make it very Toy Story to just give it one shot. I went with my friend who's a chicken about all sorts of rides (her family had never been on Spaceship Earth because they thought it was going to be scary) and she had a great time.

I love roller coasters but hate big drops specifically the feeling in my stomach during a drop. I tolerate the big drop on Splash just because the rest of the ride is so great and my kids like for me to ride with them. The one ride at WDW that I haven't gotten the courage to try is ToT. I know I would love the theme but I just can't bring myself to try it.

I went on Splash and survived. The kids were thrilled that I went on it and we got a hilarious picture of me screaming. I don’t need to do it again :laughing: But now I’m trying to work up the nerve to do SDD on Saturday.

Way to go! IMO Splash is much scarier than SDD so you should be fine!

I don’t like coasters but can tolerate BTMRR. I tried SDD and felt it was much more intense, but I think some of that comes from the coaster track being more exposed than BTMRR. I did have to keep my eyes closed on the two drops, but it didn’t make me feel sick (I do take motion sickness meds every day at Disney though). I am going to try it again and see if I like it any better (or at least can keep my eyes open).

I'm not going to laugh at you at all. I love Big Thunder Mountain. Seven Dwarfs is a kiddie ride. I've ridden Expedition Everest, and enjoyed it. Splash Mountain horrifies me lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter