coasters and drops

Kristin0713

Mouseketeer
Is there info about how long the drops are (like how many seconds) for the different coasters?

I really don't like drops and I'm a total chicken. But my kids want me to go on these roller coasters with them. You will probably laugh but the ones I'm nervous about are Splash Mountain and SDD. I've done 7DMT and it was fine; BTMRR was ok too but I wouldn't do it twice in a row. Rides like EE, TT, RnR are definitely not options.

I’m curious to hear the information on SDD. I’m not a fan of coasters either but love the more mellow coasters like seven dwarves and thunder mountain. I wasn’t sure which category SDD belonged to.

Is there info about how long the drops are (like how many seconds) for the different coasters?

I really don't like drops and I'm a total chicken. But my kids want me to go on these roller coasters with them. You will probably laugh but the ones I'm nervous about are Splash Mountain and SDD. I've done 7DMT and it was fine; BTMRR was ok too but I wouldn't do it twice in a row. Rides like EE, TT, RnR are definitely not options.

The drop on Splash is big, not going to lie. Having said that, DW is also a big time coaster chicken, but Splash is her favorite ride in all of WDW. She just closes her eyes for the big drop...there are a few small drops before the big one too, FYI. Think of the ride as Small World with drops sprinkled in.

SDD doesn't really have any big drops. If you can handle 7DMT, you should be able to handle SDD.

RnR is fast, but it actually doesn't really have any "drops"...just 3 inversions and a wickedly fun launch. But it's definitely one of the, if not the, most "intense" coasters on property. If you don't like coasters in general, or don't like being upside down, you may not like RnR. I know you said it wasn't an option anyway, so I guess no harm no foul.

If you can do 7DMT and BTMRR then SDD should be fine.
I'd probably say skip Splash Mountain. There are several drops plus the big one.
I love drops but for someone that hates drops I wouldn't recommend it.

My wife hates drops. She will not ride any roller coaster. But, she will ride Splash. It's a slow moving ride. There are no weightless (lose your stomach) moments like at top of a hill on bigger coasters. That's the part she does not like. Splash has one big hill, but it is not a bad "drop".

I also do not care so much for drops but I have ridden everything on your list except for SDD (but I would assume this would be okay)

If drops are your main concern, you would probably be ok on RnR. This one is more fast than anything and there are loops. It is also very dark. Its been a few years since I rode it but I don't recall drops being a problem on that one at all.

You may want to avoid Splash Mountain. The good thing with this ride though is you can see the worse drop from outside. There is nothing inside of the ride that is a big drop. The drop for me is scary and I make myself nervous on the ride by anticipating the drop, so I don't ride it that often. With that said, the drop is quick and you are at the bottom before you know it. I would suggest just watching that one and deciding for yourself once you see it.

You didn't mention Space Mountain. That one has drops but it is in the dark. I personally don't mind this one at all. My main problem is a fear of heights and dropping from a tall place...so if I can't see where I am, the drop doesn't bother me quite as much.

Hope this helps!

SDD was actually a little more intense than I was expecting. Probably what I noticed the most was the 3 "humps" towards the end. I wouldn't consider them to be drops, but did feel it a little in my stomach. That said, I rode it several times in a row at Early Morning Magic. The first couple of times it was nothing. I felt it more on the 4th or 5th time. In order of intensity, I would say Barnstormer->SDMT->SDD->Splash->BTM->Space.

I hate drops-or really roller coasters in general to be honest-but I have no problem with 7DMT, BTMRR, and Space Mountain (I don't LOVE them, but I will go on them just because my Husband loves roller coasters and these ones aren't horrible.) However, I will not do RnR, Tower of Terror, Splash, or EE. I tried Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain about a year ago for the first time, and hated every second of it. Splash mountain was a great ride up until the big drop, and that ruined it for me. I think it was the steepness of the drop along with the length. If it wasn't so steep, I may have been ok with it. I wouldn't do it again. And Tower of Terror would have been ok for me if you only dropped once, but multiple times did me in. I haven't tried SDD yet, but plan to give it a go next week when I go to HS, because from what I can understand it is on par with 7DMT and BTMRR. But I am the biggest chicken ever, and I gave splash mountain a shot and hated it more than anything. Way to steep! I will let you know how I feel about SDD next week if you want!

I am a ride wimp and hate drops but I promised my traveling companions I'd try every ride at WDW. SDD, BTMR, Space, SDMT, RnR, EE, and ToT were all fine for me but I really dislike Splash. Like a few others have said, the drop is long and steep. On the other rides, either you are in the dark or the drops are super quick but this one just seemed to go on forever. I did ride it twice but it was no better the second time.

My sister hates drops. HATES them.

She does not do Splash Mountain, ToT or Expedition Everest.

She does RnRC, Space Mountain, BTMRR, SDMT. There is one drop in Space Mountain that she doesn’t love but is tolerable. She finally went on RnRC this year and was so glad she did. For years I’ve tried to convince her there were no drops. Super fast, but no drops. She finally believes me :)

We have not been there while SDD has been open yet.

This is so helpful!! I wish I could do a no-drop Splash option, haha. I would love to see the ride. It does look steep but also looks like the actual drop is over fast.

I used to be very afraid of the big drop in Splash, but I enjoy the rest of the ride so much that it made up for it. I tried to count the seconds in the last drop when I was there last, and I estimated about 3 seconds. You can do it!

I rode a kid’s free fall tower with my then 4 year old at a fair and was terrified. Everybody thought it was hilarious and I swear the ride went on forever... that being said I hate drops. My daughter thinks it’s hilarious that I’m terrified and thinks it is so much fun making me go on those rides. I’ve done 7dmt a few times and I’m fine with it. Thunder mountain is okay as well since there are really no unexpected drops. I just rode SDD earlier this month for the first time and I was screaming the whole time. People behind me were trying not to laugh and my dear daughter refused to hold my hand. I didn’t ride it a second time. My husband rode it with my daughter and said that it was really unexpected, fast and high drops for a kids ride.

This is so helpful!! I wish I could do a no-drop Splash option, haha. I would love to see the ride. It does look steep but also looks like the actual drop is over fast.

I used to dread the Splash Mountain drop, until I figured out the trick that worked for me: lean into it. Thrill rides are thrilling because they make you feel like you're out of control. But if you mentally focus on racing down the side of the hill, it feels just a bit different. YMMV!

I've been reading a lot of roller coaster comparisons lately to try to figure out who in my family should and shouldn't try SDD in a few weeks. I don't like big drops, riding backwards, or loops. If there's a risk that I'll feel sick after I get off, I want no part of it! Time at WDW is too limited to risk it. I like Barnstormer, 7DMT, and BTMRR. (I *might* be willing to try Splash, but since none of the kids are interested now it'll wait. All of the other coasters are on my "no way!" list. And I'm one of the more adventurous members of my family, LOL!)

There seem to be two separate schools of thought on SDD. All of the reviews I've read agree it's more intense than 7DMT. Some people say it's more intense than BTMRR and others say it's less intense. I'm getting the impression that compared to BTMRR, SDD has a few more intense hills but an overall smoother ride. Maybe that makes it register as less intense in some people's minds and more intense in other's.

DH and DS15 will definitely be skipping SDD. They're both planning to try 7DMT for the first time this trip, and I don't think bigger will happen. (DH is talking a good game about the coasters for this trip, but it has been YEARS since he was willing to ride on even the gentlest coasters. If he enjoys 7DMT, then we can talk about him trying others. I suspect that conversation won't happen!) DD9 and I will try SDD. The biggest question is DS12. He surprised me by loving 7DMT on our first trip, and he wants to try BTMRR this trip. I probably won't take him on SDD without riding it myself first. He's on the autism spectrum and has other special needs, and I'm worried that if he rides it and it's too much for him he might melt down and let the negative experience ruin a few hours of his day.

Last edited:

I am curious why you said Test Track is not an option? :confused: It doesn't have any huge drops or anything. If you can do BTMRR and 7DMT then TT should be a breeze. My DFi hates rollercoasters and will not do anything of the sort, but loves TT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter