• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CM’s entering resort rooms with and without RO sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like an awesome trip. Declining HK for 13 days results in a pretty sweet gift card. Congrats!

Yes. Yes it was, lol. First time in a while souvenirs cost me nothing!

As a side note. This is the first time we opted out of housekeeping. If they keep offering it, I’ll keep doing it. It was no issue getting anything we needed at any time. Matter of fact, I caught one of the ladies early one morning and asked for new sheets. She offered to just change them for me so I gave her a decent tip. Very good experience overall!

Yep, kind of like when you are having anesthesia, make sure you have a friendly face to face with your anesthesiologist. Face time counts!

:thumbsup2 I have friends that are currently on vacation staying at Ft Wilderness. I did caution them about the room check policy and about making sure to inquire about it with the CM's. They are returning soon so I will have a first hand account from them to share. They are not DIS members or readers. I was their vacation planner!:)

The point of the policy is to catch guests off-guard, just in case they miiiiiiiight be doing something that Disney doesn't want going on in their hotel rooms. ;)

Yea I imagine they are catching some off guard. Better to have guests out of the rooms spending their last dime anyway.:rolleyes1

Yes. Yes it was, lol. First time in a while souvenirs cost me nothing!

As a side note. This is the first time we opted out of housekeeping. If they keep offering it, I’ll keep doing it. It was no issue getting anything we needed at any time. Matter of fact, I caught one of the ladies early one morning and asked for new sheets. She offered to just change them for me so I gave her a decent tip. Very good experience overall!
Good for you for tipping her generously! I have good experiences declining HK at the Dolphin for SPG points. Likewise give good tips for fresh towels, Starbucks refills, etc. I even tipped the maintenance guy who brought me a replacement tv remote at the Dolphin. He reported that he wasn’t allowed to knock when I had the DND sign one my door. I had it up by mistake when they sent him to my room. I happened to open the door and he was quietly waiting there. He said they have to bring up new remotes a lot. Either the batteries, or in my case, I couldn't locate mine under the pile of bed linens.

Last edited:

Then they wouldn't be RANDOM! That's the POINT. :( The point of the policy is to catch guests off-guard, just in case they miiiiiiiight be doing something that Disney doesn't want going on in their hotel rooms. ;)
There really isn't any purpose to a thread where others share their room-check experiences, because.... then they wouldn't be RANDOM and UNEXPECTED. It's the Circle of Liiiia~billlllllity!
What about the people with dogs? Is bringing a dog just a major loophole with this policy?

Sure- I have no problem with them wanting to check on a room that has a DND sign up for more than a day. Also, at other hotels you can call the REAL front desk from your room and verify the identity of someone knocking at your door which is very important. A call center cannot do that.
For some reason I can't upload a photo on here but I took one of the sign at the past hotel I was in that specifically told people not to let staff in without verifying it with the front desk first. It's kind of a big deal to go from one hotel telling you "this is important to your safety" to another saying "do what we say even if you feel unsafe." Has anyone gotten a response from Disney about this?

For some reason I can't upload a photo on here but I took one of the sign at the past hotel I was in that specifically told people not to let staff in without verifying it with the front desk first. It's kind of a big deal to go from one hotel telling you "this is important to your safety" to another saying "do what we say even if you feel unsafe." Has anyone gotten a response from Disney about this?

If the picture is on your phone, e-mailing it to yourself and then posting here has worked for me. :thumbsup2

I do think this is the missing piece of the puzzle- what has been Disney's response if you ask them what you should do about someone at your door?

No, but it sure would help me to know how Disney suggests we handle it. I have stuff to do in the next few hours but I think I’d like to tackle that when I can get to it, especially with an upcoming 8 night BWV stay. I stay DVC so I might try a call to the rep I talked to in February. She shared her direct phone number I think.

The sticky thread is for reporting ONLY - no discussion allowed.

This is correct, and all discussion is deleted, as mentioned above. I know because I didn’t realize it or forgot and had my post/comments deleted a while back.

I think the reason folks said "again" is there are SOOOOOOO many threads about this another is just redundant. Nothing is changing. It's the same thing over and over and over again. There's a even a sticky at the top that covers it all. That's the reason for the again.
We are following instructions given by the moderator of that thread. :-)
"
Guys, please do not post anything but guest experiences on this thread. It is not a discussion thread; the only posts that should be made here are first-person accounts of your experiences with the room check policy while staying at a Disney resort. All other posts will be deleted.

If you want to ask questions about the policy or discuss it, either post on an existing thread on the Resorts board or create a new thread.

So anyway, I'm working on a letter with asking for specifics on what guests can expect with the policy (such as, how late these checks will occur) so if anyone has any specific questions to add to my list I would appreciate it!

We are following instructions given by the moderator of that thread. :-)
"

So anyway, I'm working on a letter with asking for specifics on what guests can expect with the policy (such as, how late these checks will occur) so if anyone has any specific questions to add to my list I would appreciate it!

Ok here’s what first comes to me, and I will also call. It will be interesting to compare notes on the answers.

I am interested in asking:

Can we request a preferred block of time for room checks as late morning, late afternoon, early afternoon. If so is the best way to make sure the request is honored to speak in person to a resort manager, a HK Manager, or someone else

How can we verify that a person requesting access is a legit CM

Does the HK visit or the trash visit in a DVC count for the daily room check

If the RO sign is missing from the unit, what should we do

If the RO sign is up, is the protocol to knock, call and ask when a room chdckbus convenient, or something else? Is that a Disney wide protocol or dies it vary by resort

Can a guest request that they be present when a room check is performed

Dear Snappy,
Thank you for taking the time to post and keep the discussion going. People need to hear about this intrusive policy and what other guests are experiencing. I like having a place where I can share my concerns about this policy. People who complain about other people posting on this topic are only wasting their own time.

I hope that we can learn from other people's experiences and concerns in dealing with these intrusions. Hopefully we will find a way to make our trips more satisfactory.

~NM

Ok here’s what first comes to me, and I will also call. It will be interesting to compare notes on the answers.

Can we request a preferred block of time for room checks as late morning, late afternoon, early afternoon. If so is the best way to make sure the request is honored to speak in person to a resort manager, a HK Manager, or someone else

If the RO sign is up, is the protocol to knock, call and ask when a room chdckbus convenient, or something else? Is that a Disney wide protocol or dies it vary by resort

These are good. I have a few more I've been thinking about:

What is Disney policy on entering rooms with unaccompanied minors (notably teenagers)?

What is Disney policy if a female guest requests that a single man not enter the room without a female chaperone present?

What is Disney policy regarding people with anxiety disorders that are exacerbated by unexpected disruptions? Can they schedule a visit around when they will be out of the room?

What is Disney policy regarding people using the latch who are in the shower, sleeping, or otherwise occupied and unable to come to the door? How long will the CM continue to knock, and do they ever bypass the latch as a matter of policy?

Very good ones!:thumbsup2

These are good. I have a few more I've been thinking about:

What is Disney policy on entering rooms with unaccompanied minors (notably teenagers)?

What is Disney policy if a female guest requests that a single man not enter the room without a female chaperone present?

What is Disney policy regarding people with anxiety disorders that are exacerbated by unexpected disruptions? Can they schedule a visit around when they will be out of the room?

What is Disney policy regarding people using the latch who are in the shower, sleeping, or otherwise occupied and unable to come to the door? How long will the CM continue to knock, and do they ever bypass the latch as a matter of policy?

Yes- I remember reading one poster who said their daughter woke up and there was a man standing over her bed! She didn't have the latch on because her family was still at the park!

Also, what are the times involved? Does this end at say 6pm? or can we be disturbed in the evening?

The new policy, which can be found on the signs, states that a Walt Disney World cast member will go into the room at least once a day, citing maintenance, safety, security or any other reason, even if the sign is placed on the door. Cast members will knock and announce themselves before entering the room.

"The hotel and its staff reserve the right to enter your room for any purpose including, but not limited to, performing maintenance and repairs or checking on the safety and security of guests and property," Walt Disney World said in a statement

This is the policy. There is no policy for the rest.

I have posted my experience this past March at POFQ before, and will do it again.
It was my husband and I, no children or grandkids. Upon checking in at POFQ, I informed them that my husband and I had health concerns and MUST (not WANT) rest during the afternoon due to those. They said of course, and they would inform housekeeping.
All was well for the first few days. One day we came back a little later than usual, very much in pain and fatigued. Housekeeping had not been in, so I went to the front desk to get a RO sign so no one would disturb us for a while. I explained about our medical situation to the CM, and she said a HK would bring the sign right away the No One would disturb us. I was amazed that this did happen. We rested up and were ready to go to the parks like every one else later that day.

Then the next day, same thing, no HK. We were also late again and had same problems compounded. I called the front desk, explained it all again, and was assured that HK would be notified not to disturb us. Good.........My husband fell asleep, and I was about to do so, when a knock came at the door. I didn't want to wake up my husband, so I just talked through the door. She said she had to clean the room NOW. I explained our conversation with the CM. She got very rude and angry and said, They can't say that! I need in right now!!! I had had enough, tired, hurting and not feeling well at all, so I told her No, please come back in a couple of hours after we have rested. She huffed around and left. About 15 minutes later, a man came to the door. I was in the bathroom, so he woke up my husband, who also was not well, and told him he needed to do a security check. My husband told him to come back in 15 minutes so we could get dressed. He said okay. I was Furious!!! It was no coincidence that he just happened to come back 15 minutes after HK. By that time, we were up for the rest of the day and not feeling well at all. I told my husband we would wait til 4pm and if they came back (2 hours later) before then, we would go to the manager. Well, it must not have been important, because he never bothered to come back.

I DO feel that discussions are important on this subject. Those who don't feel that way, then just respect others right to discuss what has happened to them and their fears, expectations. Just ignore or don't open the thread. Saying, not again, does nothing. Apparently there IS a need to discuss this, even with all the closed threads when this subject comes up. It needs to be discussed.
I feel that our basic expectations as guests on our very expensive vacations should count for something. What is wrong with going back to your room for WHATEVER reason without being interrupted, sometimes rudely? I don't understand it. What really concerns me is that we apparently don't have a way to verify if security really is security. They need an ID, at the least. If we run into this when we visit this December, I will demand verification that the security person is really who they say they are. Right now, anyone could say they security and enter your room. Safety used to be #1 with Walt Disney!

I have posted my experience this past March at POFQ before, and will do it again.
It was my husband and I, no children or grandkids. Upon checking in at POFQ, I informed them that my husband and I had health concerns and MUST (not WANT) rest during the afternoon due to those. They said of course, and they would inform housekeeping.
All was well for the first few days. One day we came back a little later than usual, very much in pain and fatigued. Housekeeping had not been in, so I went to the front desk to get a RO sign so no one would disturb us for a while. I explained about our medical situation to the CM, and she said a HK would bring the sign right away the No One would disturb us. I was amazed that this did happen. We rested up and were ready to go to the parks like every one else later that day.

Then the next day, same thing, no HK. We were also late again and had same problems compounded. I called the front desk, explained it all again, and was assured that HK would be notified not to disturb us. Good.........My husband fell asleep, and I was about to do so, when a knock came at the door. I didn't want to wake up my husband, so I just talked through the door. She said she had to clean the room NOW. I explained our conversation with the CM. She got very rude and angry and said, They can't say that! I need in right now!!! I had had enough, tired, hurting and not feeling well at all, so I told her No, please come back in a couple of hours after we have rested. She huffed around and left. About 15 minutes later, a man came to the door. I was in the bathroom, so he woke up my husband, who also was not well, and told him he needed to do a security check. My husband told him to come back in 15 minutes so we could get dressed. He said okay. I was Furious!!! It was no coincidence that he just happened to come back 15 minutes after HK. By that time, we were up for the rest of the day and not feeling well at all. I told my husband we would wait til 4pm and if they came back (2 hours later) before then, we would go to the manager. Well, it must not have been important, because he never bothered to come back.

I DO feel that discussions are important on this subject. Those who don't feel that way, then just respect others right to discuss what has happened to them and their fears, expectations. Just ignore or don't open the thread. Saying, not again, does nothing. Apparently there IS a need to discuss this, even with all the closed threads when this subject comes up. It needs to be discussed.
I feel that our basic expectations as guests on our very expensive vacations should count for something. What is wrong with going back to your room for WHATEVER reason without being interrupted, sometimes rudely? I don't understand it. What really concerns me is that we apparently don't have a way to verify if security really is security. They need an ID, at the least. If we run into this when we visit this December, I will demand verification that the security person is really who they say they are. Right now, anyone could say they security and enter your room. Safety used to be #1 with Walt Disney!

That's what the experiences thread is for. The reality is it's Disney property. Their policy is now that they will enter a room every day for any reason. It's their property and they have that right. Being upset about it doesn't change that.

I remember your post in a previous thread. It’s painful for me to know what that was like, and I am sure, painful to relive. Thanks for posting again though for the benefit of any readers that might benefit from knowing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter