CM’s entering resort rooms with and without RO sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we were there, I was so happy to see the trash was removed when we got back to room. At least we could assume there wouldn't be a second knock on the door.

To us , one of the joys of DVC was not worrying if housekeeping had made it to our room. Of course they come every four days, but there have been times we did split stays and never had a need for housekeeping to come in.

I can relate. I take full advantage of FP plus. I schedule my trips so that I can get a late morning start, use the FP’s then return to the room. I may nap or swim, shower, and rest and read. If the trash/security visit has happened, it’s a huge relief. If not, the security bar gives time to answer but may or may not happen at any particular time.

One of the selling points of onsite stays is being able to return to the resort for R and R. The pools, the cabanas, the boats for rent.

It’s seem counter intuitive to me that Disney offers not only all the amenities but also encourages you to plan ahead, order magic bands, Magical Express, FP plus, make dining reservations, mobile meal ordering, add tickets, heck now you can even see when busses are arriving at the resort. All components of your trip can be organized for your convenience (as well as Disney’s). But then you are wondering when you will get a security check.

It appears now that, contrary to what DVC member satisfaction told me in February, a guest can’t schedule a time frame for these daily visits. It’s great if they occur when you are out, if your are not opposed to staff being in your room with your stuff (not a problem for me, but for some), but if your visit is later in the day, you will get that knock. Might not take too long but it can and does interrupt activities that are part and parcel of the vacation we planned and paid $$ for.

I've been twice since this policy started--once at SSR and once at AKL--and experienced zero instances of security knocking on the door. We had housekeeping in both instances. I believe even if you wanted to, you can't decline housekeeping at the deluxes. We were at SSR through a regular WDW resort reservation, btw, not DVC.

I can't remember if I shared our experience at AKL from June or not, so here it is:

We usually removed the "No Not Disturb" sign before we left for the parks in the morning. On the two days we forgot to do so we got a phone call about 10 minutes after returning to our room (IDK if they knew we were back from scanning in at the parking gate or if if their timing was just uncanny). On one day we said we were getting ready to nap and they asked for a return time, another time we said we were leaving again in about an hour and that they could return then. We did forget the sign one night, and the next morning we got a knock. It was the normal amount of time to wait before someone would answer the door before I heard the lock turn, but I was at the door right at that moment. She apologized profusely and said she'd return later.
I do feel bad for the housekeeping staff being forced to do these checks. I read that the union of housekeepers outright refused to do it with Caesars hotels- so only security does it (and again only if DND is up over 24 hours) which is understandable.

I do feel bad for the housekeeping staff being forced to do these checks. I read that the union of housekeepers outright refused to do it with Caesars hotels- so only security does it (and again only if DND is up over 24 hours) which is understandable.

Sure- I have no problem with them wanting to check on a room that has a DND sign up for more than a day. Also, at other hotels you can call the REAL front desk from your room and verify the identity of someone knocking at your door which is very important. A call center cannot do that.

I agree. A DND sign up for over 24 hours could be a red flag. Leaking/seeping water like the family at BWV over on the DVC resort board, apparently a red flag for them only after multiple calls to engineering and a couple hours at the front desk.

I agree. It’s helpful to me at least to know what’s happening with the room checks. I have frequented certain threads here for years to stay informed. Not sure if or why that’s a problem.
I think the reason folks said "again" is there are SOOOOOOO many threads about this another is just redundant. Nothing is changing. It's the same thing over and over and over again. There's a even a sticky at the top that covers it all. That's the reason for the again.

I agree. A DND sign up for over 24 hours could be a red flag. Leaking/seeping water like the family at BWV over on the DVC resort board, apparently a red flag for them only after multiple calls to engineering and a couple hours at the front desk.

Wow- leaking water would be terrible!!

FWIW I believe the previous threads about this subject were locked NOT because of the topic of discussion, but rather because it had once again turned to nothing but bickering. If this thread can somehow manage to stay on topic, not get heated then it may get to stay open. Just my opinion.

Best of luck to you all!

(PS...my May stay at SSR had no disruptions. We didn't even have a sign in the room to use on the door. Trash was removed every day when we returned to our room. I though I heard someone knock one day as we were getting in the shower, and it's possible the door opened and hit the security bar, but whoever it was went away and didn't come back while we were in the room).

A few thoughts:
  • Disney may not want to clarify anything concerning their standard procedures on room checks. If they do things the same way every time every place, then there will be ways for people to circumvent them.
  • I have not stayed at WDW since the policy started. I've only read a couple pages of reports about this, but it's not clear to me whether the people checking rooms had identified themselves or showed an ID (other than being MouseKeeping staff or someone in a suit a "official-looking."
  • Honestly, I'm not sure I want to open the door when someone knocks. If they walk in, they already have physical access (a key), and so I might better assume they are official. But this seems to be a policy that could easily lead to impostors randomly knocking on doors to see if someone will open up.
  • The sticky post doesn't allow for discussion such as this. No doubt -- one man's discussion is another man's complaining, and I don't know what the criteria is for closing a thread. I still think there is value in having a discussion thread.

FWIW I believe the previous threads about this subject were locked NOT because of the topic of discussion, but rather because it had once again turned to nothing but bickering. If this thread can somehow manage to stay on topic, not get heated then it may get to stay open. Just my opinion.

Best of luck to you all!

(PS...my May stay at SSR had no disruptions. We didn't even have a sign in the room to use on the door. Trash was removed every day when we returned to our room. I though I heard someone knock one day as we were getting in the shower, and it's possible the door opened and hit the security bar, but whoever it was went away and didn't come back while we were in the room).

Glad you had a good experience. Thanks for sharing.

No bickering so far! All good!

A few thoughts:
  • Disney may not want to clarify anything concerning their standard procedures on room checks. If they do things the same way every time every place, then there will be ways for people to circumvent them.
  • I have not stayed at WDW since the policy started. I've only read a couple pages of reports about this, but it's not clear to me whether the people checking rooms had identified themselves or showed an ID (other than being MouseKeeping staff or someone in a suit a "official-looking."
  • Honestly, I'm not sure I want to open the door when someone knocks. If they walk in, they already have physical access (a key), and so I might better assume they are official. But this seems to be a policy that could easily lead to impostors randomly knocking on doors to see if someone will open up.
  • The sticky post doesn't allow for discussion such as this. No doubt -- one man's discussion is another man's complaining, and I don't know what the criteria is for closing a thread. I still think there is value in having a discussion thread.

I too think there is value in discussion and asking and answering questions, which if it happens in the sticky thread will be deleted.

I am not sure either what I will do when someone knocks during future trips. If a solo trip or I happen to be by myself in the room, I’ll likely request he/she return later without opening the door further than the security latch allows. I like the idea of having the trash bins right by the door and handing them off for emptying. I also plan to do as DVC member satisfaction suggested and ask to speak to a manager in person upon arrival at the resort and ask that the room check be done during a specified time frame when I will be out of the room. And as the member satisfaction gal said, take the name of the manager. If I had a problem I can add that later to any contact I feel I need to make with member satisfaction.

Last edited:
Yes I am interested in reading actual experiences with this policy as well as discussing or asking questions. I really want to stay at a Disney resort again, so I'm very interested in how this policy is implemented and possibly changes. A well-informed traveler is a happy traveler!:thumbsup2

People are still worrying about this? Good grief, lol.

Seriously though. We are just back from a 13 night stay at Coronado Springs. (Fantastic trip). We opted out of housekeeping for the gift card, and did not experience anyone ever knocking at our door for security reasons for the entire stay. That's not to say someone didn't check the room, just never while we were there. While we did not spend a ton of time in the room, we were there every morning prior to 8am, and many evenings. We also had a few resort\swim hang out days and never had anyone at the door either.

Wouldn't it be great if Disney published a document outlining what guests can expect as a result of this policy so we don't all have to sit around wondering?
Then they wouldn't be RANDOM! That's the POINT. :( The point of the policy is to catch guests off-guard, just in case they miiiiiiiight be doing something that Disney doesn't want going on in their hotel rooms. ;)
There really isn't any purpose to a thread where others share their room-check experiences, because.... then they wouldn't be RANDOM and UNEXPECTED. It's the Circle of Liiiia~billlllllity!

FWIW I believe the previous threads about this subject were locked NOT because of the topic of discussion, but rather because it had once again turned to nothing but bickering.

The sticky post doesn't allow for discussion such as this. No doubt -- one man's discussion is another man's complaining, and I don't know what the criteria is for closing a thread. I still think there is value in having a discussion thread.

The most recent thread was locked because it devolved into arguing about arguing.

That's a very good idea! It may take some extra time, but you might get some important information. :thumbsup2
Yep, kind of like when you are having anesthesia, make sure you have a friendly face to face with your anesthesiologist. Face time counts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter