changes to GAC with AP issued at WDW

What is RFID?

Refers to the new type of tickets. Basically containing a chip that transmits your ticket info to the turnstile. Or your key to the lock on your door. In the future all of these functions will be on a MagicBand, a wristband containing the chip.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

There actually was a thread on the same subject, so I merged the 2 threads nd retitled the first one a little.

DH and I had lunch at LTT today, and as we were waiting for our table, I noticed three people with the magic bands. I started talking to them. They were three CMs who were beta testing the bands. They actually checked into a resort and stayed the night an had a whole host of things they needed to do to test them out. I asked about the GAC and they said they did not foresee it being added to the band.

I got a GAC a couple years ago for my son. I brought a letter from his physician and other documentation of my sons disability. At that time the CM wasn't interested in any of that paperwork and just asked me a few questions. Has that changed and should I work on getting physician documentation for our upcoming trip?

I got a GAC a couple years ago for my son. I brought a letter from his physician and other documentation of my sons disability. At that time the CM wasn't interested in any of that paperwork and just asked me a few questions. Has that changed and should I work on getting physician documentation for our upcoming trip?

You don't need documentation.

If it makes you feel more confident asking for a GAC with a letter, go ahead nd bring one. The CMs are likely not to look at it though.

The information in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread about GACs is still accurate.

WOW!! When I enter a park on my scooter, I don't use the finger scan at all as I am let in thru a gate and I have NEVER been asked to show any ID to verify my AP. Isn't that crazy the inconsistencies in how things are handled??!!

This has been my experience in the past. I just hand my AP to the CM and he runs it through. Mine has never had a finger scan associated with it.

My mom uses an ECV down there. In the past she just handed the CM her ticket, he scanned it, and then let her through the gate. There has never been a finger scan associated with her tickets. However, when we were there in May that procedure changed. We got a her a new AP our first day, so it had the new technology in it. She had to drive close to the scanner and put her finger on it, while they scanned/tapped her AP against it.

My mom uses an ECV down there. In the past she just handed the CM her ticket, he scanned it, and then let her through the gate. There has never been a finger scan associated with her tickets. However, when we were there in May the CMs that procedure changed. We got a her a new AP our first day, so it had the new technology in it. She had to drive close to the scanner and put her finger on it, while they scanned/tapped her AP against it.
We have APs and previously, whoever was with my DD would do their own pass
With finger scan. Since that person would be pushing DD thru the wheelchair get, the CM would advance the turnstile until it locked to simulate one person going thru.
Then DD's AP would be scanned, with no finger scan. The CM would punch some numbers into their keypad and then rotate the turnstile again and DD would be pushed thru the gate.

When we were at WDW in April, we got our APs changed to RFID cards. The CMs said each card had to have a finger scan associated with it. We had DD drive up close to the scanner and helped her scan her finger. This involved one of us holding her other fingers against her palm to isolate one finger o use, then pressing it down for her.
This took a few extra seconds and every single time, the CM would tell whoever was with DD that they old scan their own finger instead of trying to do hers. We did not want to do that since we often split up and may not have the same person always with DD. The CMs didn't really seem to get that and some looked impatient with the extra time we needed.

For our DD, doing the finger scan is physically difficult, but she understands and tries to cooperate ith the process. For some people with disabilities, it my be more physically difficult or they may not be able to cooperate.
So, I can see the scanning may not work for everyone. I'm sure the thought probably was that whoever was with thm could scan their own finger, but some my not want to for the same reasons we had.
I can imagine it could be a mess if the next time they came in was with a different person.

SueM in MN said:
We have APs and previously, whoever was with my DD would do their own pass
With finger scan. Since that person would be pushing DD thru the wheelchair get, the CM would advance the turnstile until it locked to simulate one person going thru.
Then DD's AP would be scanned, with no finger scan. The CM would punch some numbers into their keypad and then rotate the turnstile again and DD would be pushed thru the gate.

When we were at WDW in April, we got our APs changed to RFID cards. The CMs said each card had to have a finger scan associated with it. We had DD drive up close to the scanner and helped her scan her finger. This involved one of us holding her other fingers against her palm to isolate one finger o use, then pressing it down for her.
This took a few extra seconds and every single time, the CM would tell whoever was with DD that they old scan their own finger instead of trying to do hers. We did not want to do that since we often split up and may not have the same person always with DD. The CMs didn't really seem to get that and some looked impatient with the extra time we needed.

For our DD, doing the finger scan is physically difficult, but she understands and tries to cooperate with the process. For some people with disabilities, it my be more physically difficult or they may not be able to cooperate.
So, I can see the scanning may not work for everyone. I'm sure the thought probably was that whoever was with thm could scan their own finger, but some my not want to for the same reasons we had.
I can imagine it could be a mess if the next time they came in was with a different person.

Bolding is mine...
Well as long as you have acceptable photo ID, they CANNOT FORCE you to attach a finger scan to your pass. You just have to be willing to present that ID (along with your pass) each and every time you want to enter the park. So technically those CMs are wrong.

Bolding is mine...
Well as long as you have acceptable photo ID, they CANNOT FORCE you to attach a finger scan to your pass. You just have to be willing to present that ID (along with your pass) each and every time you want to enter the park. So technically those CMs are wrong.
It was easier with the old turnstiles because the CMs had a sort of console they could use to enter codes and bypass the finger scan.

We were there sort of early in using RFID passes, so things may have changed, the CM may have been misinformed or not have wanted to send us thru to the CM who was handing 'exceptions' and problem.
I'm sure it was easier for the CMs to just convince us to do a finger scan. In our case, it did work and was easier than getting out DD's ID would be.

It was easier with the old turnstiles because the CMs had a sort of console they could use to enter codes and bypass the finger scan.

We were there sort of early in using RFID passes, so things may have changed, the CM may have been misinformed or not have wanted to send us thru to the CM who was handing 'exceptions' and problem.
I'm sure it was easier for the CMs to just convince us to do a finger scan. In our case, it did work and was easier than getting out DD's ID would be.

I would have simply pointed out that this would discriminate against someone who had no hands. And then proceed to inform them that for all intents and purposes your DD had no hands that would be capable of doing the finger scans. Since it worked, I suppose no harm, no foul, but they can't possibly require a finger scan for everyone, as some have no fingers to scan.

SueM in MN said:

It's not an 'exception', it's policy. Any One who wants to show ID instead can and it can be verified by any CM at the entrance. I'd say it appears that this CM needs retraining because all they have to do is match the name on the ticket to the photo ID and then scan the ticket. They are not making any exceptions. They are following their policy!

It's not an 'exception', it's policy. Any One who wants to show ID instead can and it can be verified by any CM at the entrance. I'd say it appears that this CM needs retraining because all they have to do is match the name on the ticket to the photo ID and then scan the ticket. They are not making any exceptions. They are following their policy!

Sorry it not the cm that needs retraining it the new turn styles have no over ride system. So they can't over ride it so your ticket won't be active or it look on camera you are sneaking in. Disney needs to fix the system so they have a way to over ride the system like they do with the old turn styles.

I would have simply pointed out that this would discriminate against someone who had no hands. And then proceed to inform them that for all intents and purposes your DD had no hands that would be capable of doing the finger scans. Since it worked, I suppose no harm, no foul, but they can't possibly require a finger scan for everyone, as some have no fingers to scan.

You would be surprised the number of times they do just that-insist they need a finger scan.

As far as the pp comment of "retraining" yes-there is a MAJOR training issue when more then one cm INSISTS a finger be used even after seeing there are no fingers.

Sorry it not the cm that needs retraining it the new turn styles have no over ride system. So they can't over ride it so your ticket won't be active or it look on camera you are sneaking in. Disney needs to fix the system so they have a way to over ride the system like they do with the old turn styles.

Sorry, But when they Say you HAVE to attach a finger scan to your ticket and YOU CLEARLY DON'T...Because Disney policy says if you are willing to show acceptable photo ID along with your AP instead... then you do not need to use the finger scan... Then That CM needs RETRAINING! They are Clearly misinformed. :goodvibes

Sorry, But when they Say you HAVE to attach a finger scan to your ticket and YOU CLEARLY DON'T...Because Disney policy says if you are willing to show acceptable photo ID along with your AP instead... then you do not need to use the finger scan... Then That CM needs RETRAINING! They are Clearly misinformed. :goodvibes

They don't they also can't say to someone in a wheelchair sorry you can't use these turn styles you have to use the old ones. It a system issue Disney needs to fix and give the cms more of the swipe iPod touches so they can just swipe your ticket that where they may need more training. I understand that is their policy and it should carry over to the new turn styles. What I am sayin it a system issue that they can't over ride it and maybe the cms are not sure what Disney going to do and that why they my he trying to get guest use the finger scanner when they shouldn't. I like to say let give Disney a chance to fix it and out a over ride in then see. Because when Disney came out with the new RFID maybe they did retrain the cms and read at what they was told to do for now because when they first came out they found out they had a problem and now have to have a guest services cm their to help with over ride and any ticket issue they have so I figure they will come up with something soon and then retrain them again. So for now if you don't want to or can't use the finger scanner I use the old ones until they come up with a a fix. Sometimes it not the cm fault and they are just doing what they told. Even though it is policy that you don't have to use the scanner and they can use your Id.

They will have to do something these was meant to speed up entry and save them money. But thanks to them not thinking about everything it coasting them more money.

You are taking the word 'exceptions' in a way I did not intend it when I wrote it.

I meant it as not following the process that the majority of guests are following.
In the case of tickets, exceptions included things like cards which would not scan (this happened to my DH one time), anyone who tried a finger scan and was not able to make it work after a few attempts, people who are unable to do the finger scan for whatever reason, any time a ticket is scanned without a finger scan associated with it, etc.

We DID know that we could have shown ID instead for DD and I did have her ID with us. DD understood and wanted to do the finger scan like the rest of us. But she needed help to do so.

There were 2 issues I wanted to make people aware of when I posted:
1) CMs are likely to suggest someone else in the group scan for someone who is unable to do a finger scan because of a disability. I think the CMs were trying to be helpful when they suggested that.

2) If someone else does the finger scan, that is the one that will be 'attached' to that ticket and if the person with a disability enters the park at a different time, with a different person, the finger scan won't match. That will cause lots of problems for the guests.
We did explain this to each CM who suggested one of us do the finger scan for DD. THat is a point they need re-education on.

The CMs at the RFID readers have nothing (at least as far as I know) that lets them overide the system. So, if the card doesn't work or no finger scan is completed, they need to send the guest to a CM with an iPod touch, who is able to do more.
It seemed that they did not have enough CMs with iPod touches to handle the guests who needed them. That may be why CMs are telling guests a finger scan is needed for each ticket scanned.

I don't think WDW really realized how many people were bypassing use of the old finger scanners. The new finger scanners are more accessible than the old ones were, but I think they assumed just making them easier to get to would make them accessible to everyone.
They are more accessible to my DD than the older ones, just because she can get closer, but getting closer doesn't equal accessible to every guest.

Going back to showing an ID for a GAC. It is not required. Where the ID will come Into play is when someone is requesting one valid for two weeks because they say they are annual pass holders. They then are supposed to present their annual pass with photo ID. In the case of those under 18 no ID is needed. Again the CM may ask for the parents ID in order to "vouch" for the child.

Additionally you could be asked when bringing an old GAC so it can be verified it truly belongs to you. Same rules for children would apply as above.

We went to the MK yesterday. Based on or experience, the only change we noticed was the 2 week expiration date. Everything else was done the same as before. Only thing we were asked was to see his AP. The cm apologized for the change in the length of time she could write. No apology was necessary.

Going back to showing an ID for a GAC. It is not required. Where the ID will come Into play is when someone is requesting one valid for two weeks because they say they are annual pass holders. They then are supposed to present their annual pass with photo ID. In the case of those under 18 no ID is needed. Again the CM may ask for the parents ID in order to "vouch" for the child.

Additionally you could be asked when bringing an old GAC so it can be verified it truly belongs to you. Same rules for children would apply as above.

Can you share the thought behind asking for an adults ID to "vouch" for a child?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter