changes to GAC with AP issued at WDW

I could be wrong. And I will double check when I am working next. But I believe the ID (for under 18 )is more to spell the name more than anything else. If you have a KTTW card that works as well.

An ID is normally required for anything having to do with changing tickets, reservations, any type of compensation etc.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

What about kids with neurocognitive developmental delays? My son can recite entire plays or movies to you, but he can't spell his name, give you his phone number, or address. Different areas of his brain are affected by his brain lesion which affect memory.

What about kids with neurocognitive developmental delays? My son can recite entire plays or movies to you, but he can't spell his name, give you his phone number, or address. Different areas of his brain are affected by his brain lesion which affect memory.
I don't think that poster meant it as a test whether the child could spell the name or not.

I think what they meant was so that the CMs could look at the ID and make sure that they spell the name correctly on the GAC or for entry into a computer.

For minor children without a picture ID of their own, I don't see that there would be an issue with using a parent's picture ID plus the child's resort key.

I don't think that poster meant it as a test whether the child could spell the name or not.

I think what they meant was so that the CMs could look at the ID and make sure that they spell the name correctly on the GAC or for entry into a computer.

For minor children without a picture ID of their own, I don't see that there would be an issue with using a parent's picture ID plus the child's resort key.
I can see this. My name is often misspelled by CM and others and seeing it on my id would help them to spell it correctly. Often they misspell even when I spell it to them. They assume they missed hearing the E when it isn't even there.

SueM in MN said:

But this still has the potential to be problematic as what about those guests not staying on property??? They, including kids, would not have KTTW cards, only regular park tickets. They are still entitled to get a GAC. And if I recall correctly, a regular ticket does not have your name on it unless it is a FL ticket of some sort (then it will have a name attached to it.) So the child's ticket wouldn't have any identifying features.

But this still has the potential to be problematic as what about those guests not staying on property??? They, including kids, would not have KTTW cards, only regular park tickets. They are still entitled to get a GAC. And if I recall correctly, a regular ticket does not have your name on it unless it is a FL ticket of some sort (then it will have a name attached to it.) So the child's ticket wouldn't have any identifying features.
That would be one way, but they could do with just the parent's ID.

That would be one way, but they could do with just the parent's ID.

Except, as I have found when the child has a different last name than the parent.
We have the same problem with tickets/AP. Almost every time we enter a park they ask dd for id.

livndisney said:
Except, as I have found when the child has a different last name than the child.
We have the same problem with tickets/AP. Almost every time we enter a park they ask dd for id.

WOW!! When I enter a park on my scooter, I don't use the finger scan at all as I am let in thru a gate and I have NEVER been asked to show any ID to verify my AP. Isn't that crazy the inconsistencies in how things are handled??!!

WOW!! When I enter a park on my scooter, I don't use the finger scan at all as I am let in thru a gate and I have NEVER been asked to show any ID to verify my AP. Isn't that crazy the inconsistencies in how things are handled??!!

Crazy is not the word I use:furious:. On average she is stopped 6 out of 10 times. All because of a disability.

Have you used the "new" turnstiles (RFID) with your scooter and have you had to use the finger scanner?

Crazy is not the word I use:furious:. On average she is stopped 6 out of 10 times. All because of a disability.

Have you used the "new" turnstiles (RFID) with your scooter and have you had to use the finger scanner?
We used the new RFID scanners with DD when we were there in March and April 2013. We helped her to reach it and isolate her finger. It was easy to get her wheelchair close enough to the finger scanner to use it.
The hard part was getting her hands relaxed enough to use one finger.

The issue we had with CMs was that they wanted SOMEONE to scan a finger for the ticket. Amost every time, the CM encouraged one of us to scan our finger instead of hers. They could not see the issue with that - if DH scanned his finger for her, that meant she would only be able to come in with him because only his finger would match her ticket.

This has been my experience in the past. I just hand my AP to the CM and he runs it through. Mine has never had a finger scan associated with it.

livndisney said:

No, I did not convert my AP. Heard some complaints about them so I decided to stay with my traditional 'paper style' AP.
But when I do get a new ticket media, AP or whatever, I will use my ID with it. The whole finger thing creeps me out!! Part of it is my germaphobe side w/ everyone touching that same thing. ICK! and say what you want, one never truly knows what happens with info given up to others. I will choose to protect mine. :)

We used the new RFID scanners with DD when we were there in March and April 2013. We helped her to reach it and isolate her finger. It was easy to get her wheelchair close enough to the finger scanner to use it.
The hard part was getting her hands relaxed enough to use one finger.

The issue we had with CMs was that they wanted SOMEONE to scan a finger for the ticket. Amost every time, the CM encouraged one of us to scan our finger instead of hers. They could not see the issue with that - if DH scanned his finger for her, that meant she would only be able to come in with him because only his finger would match her ticket.

Trust me, they are STARTING to understand the problem with that! Several MK GS managers are "working" on a fix as is a member of the RFID team. They have admitted to me those with disabilities were not considered when it came to planning RFID.

If you like I can send you an email with the "work around" they have come up with so far.

Trust me, they are STARTING to understand the problem with that! Several MK GS managers are "working" on a fix as is a member of the RFID team. They have admitted to me those with disabilities were not considered when it came to planning RFID.

If you like I can send you an email with the "work around" they have come up with so far.

What don't you like about the new turn styles what didn't they take into consideration. They removed gates is it the fact you have to hold the ticket up and then put your finger on the scanner. Not trying to start anything just am curious to why the new turn styles and RFID are not disabilities friendly.

What don't you like about the new turn styles what didn't they take into consideration. They removed gates is it the fact you have to hold the ticket up and then put your finger on the scanner. Not trying to start anything just am curious to why the new turn styles and RFID are not disabilities friendly.

I did not say I did not like the new turnstyles. What I said was CM's have admitted to not taking into consideration those with disabilities with the new design.

In the case of the RFID cards-they system is designed to either use your fingers or an id. If you don't have either-there is a problem. With the "old" turnstiles-there was an "override"-that was omitted with the new design.

I did not say I did not like the new turnstyles. What I said was CM's have admitted to not taking into consideration those with disabilities with the new design.

In the case of the RFID cards-they system is designed to either use your fingers or an id. If you don't have either-there is a problem. With the "old" turnstiles-there was an "override"-that was omitted with the new design.

okay sorry that has been a problem with the new system that effect everyone yes guest with disabilities will see if affect them more. yes with the old system they could use the key pad and could over ride the system now they have an ipod touch that just tell them your name and give them a green arrow. but if the ticket dose not work or if they need to over ride something they can't help you and need to have a guest service cm come over and help. they have an ipad with a RFID reader on it not sure how much longer disney wants to keep the extra cms so they will have to come up with a system that can be over ridden. truthfully it not that hard they do have the i pod touches that can swipe a ticket that dose not use a finger scanner so they could use that for guest who don't want to or can't use the scanner.

okay sorry that has been a problem with the new system that effect everyone yes guest with disabilities will see if affect them more. yes with the old system they could use the key pad and could over ride the system now they have an ipod touch that just tell them your name and give them a green arrow. but if the ticket dose not work or if they need to over ride something they can't help you and need to have a guest service cm come over and help. they have an ipad with a RFID reader on it not sure how much longer disney wants to keep the extra cms so they will have to come up with a system that can be over ridden. truthfully it not that hard they do have the i pod touches that can swipe a ticket that dose not use a finger scanner so they could use that for guest who don't want to or can't use the scanner.

Yes, it SHOULD be simple. However for reasons unknown to me it is far more challenging that it needs to be. We have to argue to even get to the CM with the scanner (happened again yesterday).

Since this is a painful issue involving a child-I am not going any further discussing or defending my position on this thread.

Yes, it SHOULD be simple. However for reasons unknown to me it is far more challenging that it needs to be. We have to argue to even get to the CM with the scanner (happened again yesterday).

Since this is a painful issue involving a child-I am not going any further discussing or defending my position on this thread.

Well I am sorry it happening to you and your child this system should be so easy but it seems not. Disney always finds a way to make something that should be easy harder then it has to be. They have iPod touches they should be no reason that they can't have an over ride button. Well I hope they come up with something soon that will fix this problem so guest don't have to suffer.

I tried searching ~ and read the GAC section on the FAQ and didn't see this.

Usually with my AP I get my GAC issued for 2 or 3 months at a time. I went to have it re-issued last week and they now only do a 2 week max. I asked why and they said in preparation for some changes to GAC that are coming. I asked if it had to do with the RFID and CM said yes.

Not sure how accurate this information is... but the 2 week expiration is for sure in place.

Also the line at MK for GR was like nothing I have seen before. I asked if I could get the GAC at DTD since that GR line is usually short, non-existent or at least quick and they said no... it has to be a park.

Yes it is now only good for two weeks. It does not seem to be an issue for those who truly need accommodations as they do not mind having to wait again to get one. It will likely deter those who actually do not need one.

And yes you cannot get one at DTD but you can get one at any of the window location before you enter the park. If it is after park opening there is generally not a long line as ticket issues are usually resolved early in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter