Can I buy Disney gift cards with a Target gift card?

So annoying as I often use target goft cards to purchase Disney giftcards. I hope they get this fixed soon!

I've had issues in the past six months where my particular target store has a limit of how many Disney giftcards you may buy per day (even if I'm paying with my credit card and not gift cards). Super annoying!

Does anyone know what type of fraud is being committed? I am confused as to what is happening and what they are trying to prevent from happening.
Steal stuff, return it for store gift card because you “lost” your receipt, buy the gift cards you want. One of the reasons you can’t buy cash equivalent cards like Visas. That particular turn was a favorite of opioid addicts: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/07/gift-card-crime-fueling-opioid-addiction-across-the-us.html

@Mark Cameron good news! Sounds like it might actually be a bug after all... we shall see!

...Does anyone know what type of fraud is being committed? I am confused as to what is happening and what they are trying to prevent from happening.
The manager at my local store blamed it on money laundering. She said it was so bad that the store now bans any gift card for gift card transaction (so not only can I not buy AMEX, Visa, and MC gift cards with a Target gift card, I also can't even buy Disney gift cards with a Target gift card at that particular store). We don't live in a bad neighborhood so money laundering never even occurred to me as an issue, but we have to visit Target stores near DLR to get our Disney gift cards.

Last edited:
The manager at my local store blamed it on money laundering. She said it was so bad that the store now bans any gift card for gift card transaction (so not only can I not buy AMEX, Visa, and MC gift cards with a Target gift card, I also can't even buy Disney gift cards with a Target gift card at that particular store). We don't live in a bad neighborhood so money laundering never even occurred to me as an issue, but have to visit Target stores near DLR to get our Disney gift cards.

Wow! The manger at my store used the phrase money laundering too. It was frustrating at the time because I was trying to buy a large amount of Disney GC for our DLH stay and I had to split it up over two days. I am in that store weekly, I was using my redcard, it was really frustrating.

Just for a disheartening update: I went back to Target yesterday to try to use my $50 Target GC to purchase a $50 Disney GC and was still unable to. Guess they haven't fixed the issue yet. Come on Target!

Just for a disheartening update: I went back to Target yesterday to try to use my $50 Target GC to purchase a $50 Disney GC and was still unable to. Guess they haven't fixed the issue yet. Come on Target!
Yeah, me too. I had a bunch of Target GC (purchases 10% off) which I hadn’t “converted” to Disney GC. But I guess I shop there often enough I’ll just save it for future purposes and use my Redcard to at least get 5% off.

Call me a skeptic, but I don't think they plan to fix this issue.

Target's continued incompetence with this issue is the reason we decided not to buy our Disney gift cards there any more. Just too frustrating, too often. This latest problem was the last straw.

To be honest I'm shocked Target still allowed gift card to gift card purchases of any kind for this long. I worked for a large retailer over a decade ago and even then we didn't allow gift cards to be purchased with other gift cards because of fraud.

To be honest I'm shocked Target still allowed gift card to gift card purchases of any kind for this long. I worked for a large retailer over a decade ago and even then we didn't allow gift cards to be purchased with other gift cards because of fraud.
The issue is the terminology - "Gift" card is what they are all called, but cards for such things a movie theaters/Disney were considered "Entertainment" cards. You could buy Entertainment cards with a gift card, but you couldn't buy a gift card with a gift card.

What I think has really happened is so many people were gaming the system (buying Target gift cards, using the Red card - 5% off. Then turning around and using the Target gift cards online to buy Disney gift cards, while SAYING they were going to pay via their Red Card, thus getting 5% off the Disney card, but then pay using the Target gift card).

Target is probably tired of monitoring who's playing by the rules, and who's not.

I'm holding on to hope lol. But at least I only have a $50 card I'm trying to redeem.

Hang on to that Target gift card! If you will be visiting DLR for several days, you can use that gift card at the Target on Harbor in Garden Grove (about a mile or so south of DLR) to buy bottled water, snacks, sunscreen, and other park supplies/groceries to stock your hotel room. The bottled water alone should save you quite a bit over buying water in the parks.

While this isn't specific to Target and Disney gift cards, awhile back I was reading about people who were stealing people's credit card info/identity, buying gift cards, using those gift cards to pay for other gift cards (because the first gift card would be linked to the stolen credit card), and then selling those gift cards on one of the discount gift card sites. That could be what is being referred to as money laundering, and part of what they are trying to combat.

Just tried with my last Target gift card from the sale in December. I have never been through such a hassle at my local Target...had to call over the manager, was given different excuses why they couldn’t do it (nothing about a glitch though). Was told it was new California law, that it had something to do with taxes, can’t buy a gift card with gift card, etc. They even said “the transaction will go through but it’s against policy” Finally I asked for the number for corporate and the mgr’s name...they finally relented and completed the transaction, I think just to get rid of me. I’m just glad I was able to get rid of my last card and be done with this!

Was told it was new California law,
New California law? I doubt that. When there are new laws, they are effective in January, not April.

The only CA gift card law is "Expiration dates, service fees and dormancy fees are prohibited by law for single-store cards"

Just tried with my last Target gift card from the sale in December. I have never been through such a hassle at my local Target...had to call over the manager, was given different excuses why they couldn’t do it (nothing about a glitch though). Was told it was new California law, that it had something to do with taxes, can’t buy a gift card with gift card, etc. They even said “the transaction will go through but it’s against policy” Finally I asked for the number for corporate and the mgr’s name...they finally relented and completed the transaction, I think just to get rid of me. I’m just glad I was able to get rid of my last card and be done with this!

This sounds discouragingly familiar. Headaches and poor customer service like this are why we just don't want to go through this anymore with Target. Sucks all the magic out of our Disney gift cards.

Last edited:
I can confirm that it worked for me. I had $600 leftover Target GC from December and was able to get Disney GCs. Used self checkout too! I did it in 2 separate transactions, $300 + item and $300+item. The second transaction was with $50s (they ran out of $100s), so I scanned in some a bit too fast, and it jammed up the system momentarily but the checkout person was able to fix it. I was in Downtown LA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter