Broadway shows??????

I want to read "the brick" (Les Mis), but I know I'd never have time to finish it.

(PS, this is my 900th post on The Dis. Glad I'm talking about musicals on it ;) )

I've read Wicked, but I was a youngster...eleven or twelve. It was odd compared to the show.
Newsies, is it really that long? Lol.

I've read Wicked, but I was a youngster...eleven or twelve. It was odd compared to the show.
Newsies, is it really that long? Lol.

25th longest novel in the world. 1.5k pages I think? It's MASSIVE.

I've read a part of Les Mis and probably Matilda when I was younger

I used to read Matilda all the time when I was little!!! It was my favorite book growing up!!! I used to cry at the ending all the time. I don't think there was a moment when I wasn't crying the first time I saw it on Broadway lmao

Honestly, I don't know how I was able to land my username. This website was around for like over a decade and nobody had taken it? Crazy :rotfl:

Tell me how LK and Motown are!!!

Lion King was amazing of course. I'm seeing it again this week! The set and special effects were spectacular. I loved Rafiki (her range was crazy good) and Mufasa singing They Live In You. The actor playing Mufasa was a perfect fit. Simba was great and so talented. The actor playing Scar was SPOT-ON. I couldn't have imagined better casting for that role. There was a talk-back after the show where we asked the Young Nalas, Young Simbas, and Pumbaa some questions. The boy who played Young Simba that night, it was his very first show for the LK but LK was also the first show he's EVER BEEN IN! Talk about some natural talent. So two thumbs up to LK!!!

Haven't seen Motown yet but I will tell all about it when I do!

Kind of a theater fan - here's my Broadway/Broadway Touring Company list, in no particular order (my review + 1-4 "stars"):

Musicals:
=======
Les Miserables (seen 4 times) = ****
Phantom of the Opera = **
Wicked = ***
Annie = ***
Scarlet Pimpernel = **
Avenue Q = *
Into the Heights = ***
Young Frankenstein = ****
Joseph & Technicolor Dreamcoat (2 times) = ****
The Producers = ****
Mary Poppins = ***
Miss Saigon = **
Will Roger's Follies = ***
Hairspray = ***
Buddy Holly Story = **
Thoroughly Modern Millie = ****
Rent = **
Cats = ***
Crazy for You = **
42nd Street = ***
Footloose = **

Non-Musicals
=========
Arsenic and Old Lace = ***
Lady in Black = **

That's quite a list! I love a lot of these! But I love that you put down Scarlet Pimpernel! Not many people know that musical. I did the show last year and really enjoyed it. The book is great too.

I love King of New York, but my favorite has to be Once and For All. The set moving forward gives me chills everytime. And I hope to play to Katherine someday also! :)

I didn't either, I didn't even know the movie existed! (which I still have never seen :rotfl:)

Once and For All has some of the best harmonies ever. Period. Great choice. It's so hard to pick a favorite.

PLEASE watch the movie. I love it and it just helped my love for the musical theater world grow. Been watching that movie ever since I was little. It didn't do so great in the movie industry world (I never could understand why but I guess the whole musical thing), but it is a fantastic movie! Definitely one of my top favorites of all time. I watched it a long time before the Broadway stage version came out, so you might have different feelings (since you've seen the Broadway version first). But it's definitely worth a watch!

Have any of you on here ever read the novels that some of these musicals are based off of?

I read Scarlet Pimpernel right before I did it on stage. Loved loved loved the book! It became one of my favorites. SP isn't very well-known, but it has some beautiful music in it. There are two movies (but non-musicals of course). The Broadway soundtrack is really beautiful (but read the synopsis of the musical first or it won't make sense)!

I really need to read more of these books. Been meaning to read POTO for a while.

Hmm. I've been meaning to Read Les Mis, but I don't know...The movie was sort of dark...
DramaPrincess, if you do get around to reading POTO, I believe the David Coward translation is the most accurate. The free version is abridged by 80ish pages. It's good other than being a bit darker than the musical, which is why I have mixed feelings for it.

littleorangebird - I agree with Dramaprincess. Watch the movie!

Anyone know if Matilda's worth seeing?

Hmm. I've been meaning to Read Les Mis, but I don't know...The movie was sort of dark...
DramaPrincess, if you do get around to reading POTO, I believe the David Coward translation is the most accurate. The free version is abridged by 80ish pages. It's good other than being a bit darker than the musical, which is why I have mixed feelings for it.

littleorangebird - I agree with Dramaprincess. Watch the movie!

I didn't read Matilda or watch I only watched one song from it.But based on the one song I think that it would be interesting to watch.

I've seen Matilda twice and I'm going in for a third time in March. The show is stunning, my third favorite show currently running just under Aladdin and Wicked. The music is clever and the effects are spectacular- it's a tearjerker, but it's incredibly moving and inspiring.

Hey guys!!

Couple updates I wanted to share with you theater-lovers!

I saw the Lion King for the second time this week and it was OF COURSE amazing! I was cracking up during some parts. So much wit, but also, one of the birds on one of those long stick thingies (ya know, the ensemble members wave these above our heads in the aisles and pray they don't take out an audience member or two) FELL OFF THE BALCONY AND ALMOST WHAMMED SOMEBODY. When written in caps, it might sound harmful. But it wasn't. Just hilarious to witness. Nobody got hurt;) Before the show though, I did a master class with two of the ladies from the show. SO MUCH FUN! We learned the dance where the lionesses are hunting the gazelle (that one part in the show that is kinda a time-filler but a beautiful dance piece) and we learned the WORDS. The actual words they sing in the show...I don't have to go around spitting out a type of alien language claiming to know the right words! Score. Now I just have to never forget them and I'm good:rolleyes1

Second, brief story. I did Les Mis last summer (best show I've ever been a part of) and we had an awards show last week for all our surrounding theaters (like the Tony Awards in NYC. But not in NYC. And we don't have Hugh Jackman. Or James Monroe Iglehart. ok, whatever.) Anyway, our show ended up winning almost all our nominations and best overall production. A very exciting night! But the best part is....the little girl who played Young Cosette in our show just got cast on BROADWAY IN LES MISERABLES!!! She will be ensemble and an understudy for Young Cosette/Young Eponine, I believe.

That's what I wanted to share. Everybody keep posting...I love reading each person's comment and opinion!!!

Have a wonderful week. Pixie-dust to allpixiedust:

Last edited:
Second, brief story. I did Les Mis last summer (best show I've ever been a part of) and we had an awards show last week for all our surrounding theaters (like the Tony Awards in NYC. But not in NYC. And we don't have Hugh Jackman. Or James Monroe Iglehart. ok, whatever.) Anyway, our show ended up winning almost all our nominations and best overall production. A very exciting night! But the best part is....the little girl who played Young Cosette in our show just got cast on BROADWAY IN LES MISERABLES!!! She will be ensemble and an understudy for Young Cosette/Young Eponine, I believe.

That's what I wanted to share. Everybody keep posting...I love reading each person's comment and opinion!!!

Have a wonderful week. Pixie-dust to allpixiedust:

That's so awesome! Congrats to you and your cast!

So in theatre related news for me......I recently got cast in The Drowsy Chaperone! :goodvibes
I also bought tickets to see Matilda in May and I'm very, very excited!

Last edited:
So in theatre related news for me......I recently got cast as Trix in The Drowsy Chaperone! :goodvibes
I also bought tickets to see Matilda in May and I'm very, very excited!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Very exciting! And I love Matilda (Mrs. Wormwood would be such a fun role to play)!!

Congratulations!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Very exciting! And I love Matilda (Mrs. Wormwood would be such a fun role to play)!!

Thank you both!!

And Mrs. Wormwood is a role that I would love to play one day! Speaking of that.....what is everyone's dream role(s)? Some of mine are-
  • Nina/Vanessa (In the Heights)
  • Katherine (Newsies)
  • Ariel (TLM)
  • Millie (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
  • Fastrada/Leading Player (Pippin)
  • Anita (West Side Story)
  • Nessarose/Elpahaba (Wicked)
I have an entire list of roles I would love to play (not kidding.....it's in the notes section on my phone). Share your dream roles too!

Last edited:
With emphasis on the 'dream':
Belle (BatB)
Cosette (Les Mis)
Christine Daae (Phantom del Opera)
Millie (Throughly Modern Millie)

Well, Christine's probably my biggest, but it's really unrealistic for me because of the whole PONR sequence. I finally hit her high E (not well at all), though!

Last edited:
Dream roles would be:

Katherine (Newsies)
Glinda (Wicked)
Christine/Meg (POTO)
Eliza (My Fair Lady)
Kathy (Singin' in the Rain)
Cosette (Les Miserables)
Hope (Anything Goes)
Laurie (Oklahoma)
Maria/Anita (West Side Story)

*Some aren't on Broadway currently, but have been in the past. I have so many more I would love to play, but these are the more common ones.

Last edited:
Dream Roles:
Mrs. Wormwood (Matilda)
Doralee (9 to 5)
The Chaperone (Drowsy Chaperone)
Paulette (Legally Blonde)
Lucy (You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown)
Matilda "Tillie" (Effects of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds)
Little Sally (Urinetown)
Domina (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum)
Clara (Sweatshop)
Miss Sandra (All Shook Up)

I saw Aladdin for the second time yesterday!! Just as fabulous as the first time around!!

Anyone else pumped for Hamilton to transfer to Broadway!? Lin-Manuel Miranda is my favorite composer and one of my favorite Broadway actors and I'm just so excited. I'm planning to go see it the week it opens in August (hopefully).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter