Booster now required to be fully vaccinated

No one says you have to get a shot every five months. That hasn't been recommended by the CDC and so the state of Hawaii can't just tell people you need to have had a shot every five months to visit.
No, the state can set whatever requirements it wants…..there have been plenty of discussions from the medical community about needing to “just keep getting boosters every 5-6 months.” And the governor hasn’t said anything in his statements about following the CDC; these are his own decisions. But of course we can only just wait and hope any language that comes out will be crisp and leave no room for interpretation.

No, the state can set whatever requirements it wants…..there have been plenty of discussions from the medical community about needing to “just keep getting boosters every 5-6 months.” And the governor hasn’t said anything in his statements about following the CDC; these are his own decisions. But of course we can only just wait and hope any language that comes out will be crisp and leave no room for interpretation.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one because I don’t want to get this thread locked.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one because I don’t want to get this thread locked.
You guys are both mischaracterizing Hawaii's policy, which I believe is the source of your disagreement. They designed it very cleverly to avoid the type of complications you're talking about.

Even setting boosters aside...

Hawaii's policy is not: You must be vaccinated to enter the state.

Hawaii's policy is: You must quarantine for 10 days when you enter the state. If you're vaccinated, you are exempt from the quarantine requirement.

Thus, it's not a vax mandate (and wouldn't be a booster mandate). It's a quarantine mandate with a vaccination carve-out.

You guys are both mischaracterizing Hawaii's policy, which I believe is the source of your disagreement. They designed it very cleverly to avoid the type of complications you're talking about.

Hawaii's policy is: You must quarantine for 10 days when you enter the state. If you're vaccinated, you are exempt from the quarantine requirement.

Thus, it's not a vax mandate (and wouldn't be a booster mandate). It's a quarantine mandate with a vaccination carve-out.
You are technically absolutely correct. My point is just that Hawaii can decide what they consider “fully vaccinated;” they don’t have to follow the CDC on that. So I just hope whatever the governor decides is crisply worded (or says “fully vaccinated per the CDC definition “) so that there’s no room for interpretation. I’m not sure what’s to disagree with there….(but I do agree I don’t want to get the thread locked!)

The only thing I am disagreeing with are your comments about the CDC. Hawaii has followed their recommendations consistently throughout the pandemic. They cannot just do what they want especially when it relates to the vaccines and I think because the CDC has not really defined what it means to be “fully vaccinated” that is why Hawaii hasn’t made a decision.

Hawaii's policy makes it sound like you can enter the state unvaccinated with a negative test and not quarantine.

From the following website: https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/

"Travelers wishing to use the pre-travel test to bypass quarantine must have a negative result from a test taken from a Trusted Testing and Travel Partner no more than 72 hours BEFORE beginning the final leg of their trip. Anyone without a negative test result or up-to-date vaccination record PRIOR to departure must quarantine upon arrival."

One other point I'll make that could speak to why they will drop the booster requirement - it will get very tricky soon to put any time limit on recent shot to be fully vaccinated.

If they were to say anything like "last shot must be within 5 months", you would have people past their 5 month window since their booster. While there have been many that have spoken of potential for repeated boosters, the CDC hasn't even authorized 4th shots for non-immunocompromised people so they'd wind up requiring something that people legally can't even get done for now.

I think that helps speak to the problems they are realizing with a booster mandate. Individual situations will start to get so confusing that the more they try to spell out specific language, the more complicated it gets to verify. I think that's why they could be getting a lot of pushback from local industries on these mandates. I found the Lt Gov's interview linked above very well-reasoned in light of rapidly declining cases.

Honestly, my main issue is that it leaves people in limbo - be clear. This “oh I may change things” uncertainty is awful. And I’m boosted. But who knows what additions the Gov has in mind (like for under 5s).

Interesting...Maui just dropped their booster requirement as of today for restaurants after just implementing it on January 24. I swear this all changes so fast all the time. We’re visiting Oahu, Maui and the Big Island and I just feel like I’m on the edge of my seat trying to make sure we have the correct info.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-cancels-booster-mandate-for-restaurants/amp/
The Lt. Gov said this morning it is unlikely that Hawaii will require a booster to bypass quarantine if eligible. It also seems like Safe Travels may be retired in April. Apparently the federal government is footing a lot of the bill for that program as part of the American Rescue Act and so Hawaii would have to provide funding for it post-April 1.
Probably still best to keep an eye on requirements prior to leaving for any trip to Hawaii.

The Lt. Gov said this morning it is unlikely that Hawaii will require a booster to bypass quarantine if eligible. It also seems like Safe Travels may be retired in April. Apparently the federal government is footing a lot of the bill for that program as part of the American Rescue Act and so Hawaii would have to provide funding for it post-April 1.
Probably still best to keep an eye on requirements prior to leaving for any trip to Hawaii.
That would be amazing!! I hadn’t seen where this was discussed thanks for the info

Again I will point out that the Governor and Lieutenant Governor have often NOT been on the same page throughout the pandemic, and we see how quickly a Maui rule just changed. The implementation of protective policies has not been necessarily directly consistent with the CDC (nor easily predictable) throughout. So the absolute best advice, as you say, is to keep a close eye on the actual requirements and be ready to react if needed.

Finally, something thru more official channels. Goes to show the shoddy reporting done by the various News outlets when Gov. Ige said they are considering requiring booster shots to various News outlet saying Booster shot is required. Definitely not checking the fact and just publishing things. And when news publish something, they seem credible, and the inaccuracies spread. What a shame!

Great3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter