Booster now required to be fully vaccinated

Anna Chassereau

DIS Veteran
My head is spinning right now...just read that they will soon in the next couple of weeks require a booster to be considered fully vaccinated. Our son is 10 and isn’t eligible for the booster. What will that mean for him? Will he have to test now before we go? Also we’re going to Maui and apparently he won’t be able to go eat at any restaurants there without a booster? Just thinking we may need to change some things if this is going to be the case...

Under 12's are not eligible for boosters so it would not include them. I'm waiting for more clarification because here in Canada, the booster is not authorized for the 12-17 yet 🤦 Now, we are not booked for Aulani til the end of the year (booking as soon as our 11 month window opens for week after Christmas) but if this rule applies for the 12+ then I'll have to pop over the border (we live 20 minutes from a US CAN border crossing) to get them boosted.

Officially, Maui is the only county requiring a booster. Boosters are only required for those who are eligible.

It seems inevitable that a booster will be required for Safe Travels and for Oahu’s Safe Access program, but nothing has been officially announced. The politicians are just floating the story for now.

You're giving way too much credit regarding the common sense of the bureaucrats who make the decisions about these policies! :rotfl2:
I agree completely!! I have zero faith in these people and am pretty sure they are going to require testing for those that aren’t eligible for a booster instead of just exempting all of them. Hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling

You're giving way too much credit regarding the common sense of the bureaucrats who make the decisions about these policies! :rotfl2:
I agree completely!! I have zero faith in these people and am pretty sure they are going to require testing for those that aren’t eligible for a booster instead of just exempting all of them. Hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling
Unvaccinated kids under 5 don't have to test.

At this point, until it official, I don't think it will help to keep guessing on the details, and no sense in worrying. Hopefully, the Hawaii Safe Travel will be more sensible than the Oahu Safe Access program, but I do think it will be, but it's just my opinion and not helpful until all the facts are released.

Great3

Officially, Maui is the only county requiring a booster. Boosters are only required for those who are eligible.

It seems inevitable that a booster will be required for Safe Travels and for Oahu’s Safe Access program, but nothing has been officially announced. The politicians are just floating the story for now.

It was announced this morning that all of Hawaii will be requiring the booster. Hawaii to require travelers have COVID booster shot to be 'fully vaccinated' - ABC News (go.com)

Shameful report by ABC. Quite literally fake news. Ige said they're CONSIDERING it. Now, it's almost certainly going to happen, but this headline makes it seem like a done deal and it isn't.
In one article it seemed like they were quoting Ige.

The whole this is amateur hour. If you want to change the rules, fine, release a CLEAR public statement. How embarrassing.

Shameful report by ABC. Quite literally fake news. Ige said they're CONSIDERING it. Now, it's almost certainly going to happen, but this headline makes it seem like a done deal and it isn't.
Thanks for the additional info. I definitely interpreted it as the official announcement that all of Hawaii would be requiring the booster. The morning national news shows were also making it sound like all of Hawaii had transitioned to this requirement.

Yes, until this official webpage is fully updated: Travel - Hawai‘i DOH: Info & Resources for Managing COVID-19 (hawaiicovid19.com) , nothing is quite official yet. Everything I read, is Hawaii is considering and will most likely* be moving to change definition of fully vaccinated, but haven't officially done so.

So, it's quite strange that a news outlet would publish something without the full facts.

Great3

I saw the actual interview with Hawaii News Now and it would seem like they are waiting for the CDC to make an official announcement on what constitutes "fully vaccinated" or "up to date" on Covid shots. The words "up to date" and CDC were mentioned by Gov. Ige multiple times in the same sentence. It also seemed like they would not make you test if you had two shots but aren't eligible yet for a booster. The news articles I have seen have been very misleading and are causing a ton of confusion.

I do agree that it will likely be updated at some point. My husband and I are both boosted. Just will have to re-enter our information on Safe Travels if this goes into effect before 2/26.

I've been paying attention and wondering about this because we're in this same situation for a Feb trip for our 2 kids that are aged 11 and 8 and got their second shot in December. As others have said, it's frustrating to try to find information because I've read about 10 different articles from different sources that all essentially repeat the same information from the Governor's quote from last week.

I read somewhere in Maui's order the official language was that you had to have at least 2 shots and the most recent within 5 months. The idea for the booster is that your immunity has faded after that 5-6 month period of time. It seems like quite a logistical headache down the road to start counting shots when further boosters may be required. Will there come a point where if you've never had a shot, you can't come to Hawaii until you've gotten 4 or 5? How would you ever get caught up 2 or 3 years from now if you were just starting the vaccinations? Surely it will just be most recent in last 5 months.

I've been paying attention and wondering about this because we're in this same situation for a Feb trip for our 2 kids that are aged 11 and 8 and got their second shot in December. As others have said, it's frustrating to try to find information because I've read about 10 different articles from different sources that all essentially repeat the same information from the Governor's quote from last week.

I read somewhere in Maui's order the official language was that you had to have at least 2 shots and the most recent within 5 months. The idea for the booster is that your immunity has faded after that 5-6 month period of time. It seems like quite a logistical headache down the road to start counting shots when further boosters may be required. Will there come a point where if you've never had a shot, you can't come to Hawaii until you've gotten 4 or 5? How would you ever get caught up 2 or 3 years from now if you were just starting the vaccinations? Surely it will just be most recent in last 5 months.

I haven't read Maui's order but I think it means that if its been 5 months since your second shot then you need to get a booster. That is in line with CDC's recommendation. I don't think they mean that you need to have a new shot within 5 months every 5 months. Additional doses beyond the 3rd shot haven't been authorized and so no one can get them. I think only if immunocompromised and even still only 4 shots.

I don't think Hawaii is making this update to stop the spread. Its now very clear that vaccinated or not you can still spread and get the virus. They are doing it to align with CDC's recommendation on vaccines.

I've read numerous articles since this news came out. All contain a lot of grey areas especially with those who are now considered fully vaccinated but aren't yet eligible for the booster shot. From the way it was worded in every single article was that you had to be either fully vaccinated with booster or you would have to quarantine the 5 days at your own cost. However please be aware that nothing has been finalized as of yet and from my understanding there would be an announcement within the next few weeks on when these changes could take place. Having to be to be fully vaccinated + booster as the only way to forgo the 5 day quarantine could be a very big hit to the economy which is already struggling at the moment. Maybe they consider having people be fully vaccinated + testing within a certain timeframe in order to forgo the quarantine similar to what DCL has been doing.

I haven't read Maui's order but I think it means that if its been 5 months since your second shot then you need to get a booster. That is in line with CDC's recommendation. I don't think they mean that you need to have a new shot within 5 months every 5 months. Additional doses beyond the 3rd shot haven't been authorized and so no one can get them. I think only if immunocompromised and even still only 4 shots.

I don't think Hawaii is making this update to stop the spread. Its now very clear that vaccinated or not you can still spread and get the virus. They are doing it to align with CDC's recommendation on vaccines.
Yes, that was my understanding. The only thing that makes sense as a policy going forward is to say (a) you have to have the initial series and (b) your most recent shot is within a certain time frame. If your second shot was longer than that, you'll need a 3rd. But the more things get added, the more of a mess all this becomes down the road trying to figure out where you stand in the process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter