Booster now required to be fully vaccinated

Yes, that was my understanding. The only thing that makes sense as a policy going forward is to say (a) you have to have the initial series and (b) your most recent shot is within a certain time frame. If your second shot was longer than that, you'll need a 3rd. But the more things get added, the more of a mess all this becomes down the road trying to figure out where you stand in the process.

I don't want to get in trouble or get this thread locked but I don't think anyone can say that your most recent shot has to have been within a certain time frame the way things stand now as long as you've had a booster if you are eligible. That is what the CDC is considering to be "up to date" for Covid vaccines as of now. I think most people will have gotten boosters in the fall and early winter and that will get them through this winter and then the thought is that we may have to get annual shots in the fall similar to what we already do for flu.

I think it should also be noted that Gov. Ige did mention more recently that he is in active discussions on when to end the Safe Travels program. Given how much Omicron is spreading and how quickly a lot of the purpose of Safe Travels isn't really as helpful anymore. Just my opinion. I'm vaccinated and boosted.

I think it should also be noted that Gov. Ige did mention more recently that he is in active discussions on when to end the Safe Travels program. Given how much Omicron is spreading and how quickly a lot of the purpose of Safe Travels isn't really as helpful anymore. Just my opinion. I'm vaccinated and boosted.

it always was theater, but I’m glad discussions are ongoing now for its removal

I sure hope that whatever decisions they make I have enough time to cancel my March trip before my points go into holding. I'm vaxxed and boosted in Dec with Pfizer. My fiancé has never been vaccinated- but planned to go in February to get a J&J shot. Our Aulani honeymoon is 3/16-3/29. Under the Maui rules (we are ending our trip there) he is fine because he won't be "booster eligible" under April- two months after the shot. But if Hawaii does something that leaves out freshly vaccinated primary series people then we can't go. Which is fine- I am a rule follower.. just hoping I will have enough notice to cancel without losing points. We literally added on an entire Poly contract to cover this honeymoon. :confused:

Given how much Omicron is spreading and how quickly a lot of the purpose of Safe Travels isn't really as helpful anymore. Just my opinion. I'm vaccinated and boosted.
Don't forget that Hawaii's healthcare system has a much different dynamic than the mainland since it is, quite literally, on an island. Safe Travels serves two purposes in theory... 1) protects Hawaii residents from infection from travelers and 2) gives reasonable assurance that the travelers themselves won't need to be hospitalized for COVID and straining the healthcare system. I get your point about Omicron having lots of breakthrough infections, which speaks to the efficacy of #1, but #2 is still valid.

(I agree with your point that Safe Travels has overstayed its welcome, but I think it's worth offering the devil's advocate position.)

Don't forget that Hawaii's healthcare system has a much different dynamic than the mainland since it is, quite literally, on an island. Safe Travels serves two purposes in theory... 1) protects Hawaii residents from infection from travelers and 2) gives reasonable assurance that the travelers themselves won't need to be hospitalized for COVID and straining the healthcare system. I get your point about Omicron having lots of breakthrough infections, which speaks to the efficacy of #1, but #2 is still valid.

(I agree with your point that Safe Travels has overstayed its welcome, but I think it's worth offering the devil's advocate position.)

Yes, I agree that they want to ensure (as much as one can) that travelers won’t need to utilize the limited hospital capacity for Covid reasons.

I’m leaving on 1/28 if I dont want to get boosted I can still provide a 3 day before test?

You do not need a booster as of now. Nothing official has been announced by the state of Hawaii. As long as you are fully vaccinated -- two doses of an MRNA or one J&J you do not need to test. If the state of Hawaii makes an announcement they will give two weeks notice. If you are leaving 1/28 you should be fine if you are not boosted.

You do not need a booster as of now. Nothing official has been announced by the state of Hawaii. As long as you are fully vaccinated -- two doses of an MRNA or one J&J you do not need to test. If the state of Hawaii makes an announcement they will give two weeks notice. If you are leaving 1/28 you should be fine if you are not boosted.

awesome thanks!

Shameful report by ABC. Quite literally fake news. Ige said they're CONSIDERING it. Now, it's almost certainly going to happen, but this headline makes it seem like a done deal and it isn't.
The headline didn't even match the first sentence of the article:
Hawaii will likely require visitors to the state to have received a COVID-19 vaccine booster if they want to skip quarantine.
it always was theater, but I’m glad discussions are ongoing now for its removal
Hawaii's case numbers have been among the lowest in the US. I don't think that is a coincidence.

It also is cray that they would go against her CDCs definition of fully vaccinated. Also two weeks notice is not acceptable for something so big like this especially when you take the first dose and/or second and it needs a two week incubation period.

So here is the actual policy in Maui that requires boosters from their website:

Who is considered "fully vaccinated"?
A: You are considered fully vaccinated:
- 2 weeks after your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, OR
- 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine.

For those 18 years and older, you must also receive a booster vaccination, if eligible. To be eligible for a vaccination booster 6 months must have passed since receipt of the second dose of Moderna or Pfizer or 2 months have passed since receipt of the initial single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

The requirement for a booster does not apply, if you are under age 16 for Pfizer and under age 18 for Moderna.

So if you are under the age of booster eligibility or are not eligible from a time frame after your first series of shots, you are still covered without a booster. Surely the state would have similar language if they make a travel policy requiring boosters.

Heard a few interviews today that 2/18 is the target date for whatever changes there are and that Oahu might follow suit. Just praying that freshly vaccinated people who aren't yet due for a booster yet aren't required to quarantine.

Four days ago I was nervous about my wedding.. now I'm more nervous about my honeymoon.

Heard a few interviews today that 2/18 is the target date for whatever changes there are and that Oahu might follow suit. Just praying that freshly vaccinated people who aren't yet due for a booster yet aren't required to quarantine.

Four days ago I was nervous about my wedding.. now I'm more nervous about my honeymoon.

I heard an interview yesterday where they implied they are waiting for the CDC to make an announcement about the definition of being “up to date” on your vaccines and they were thinking that definition may be made in mid-February.

I would think that if you aren’t eligible for a booster yet that you would be considered “up to date” on your vaccines with just the two. My husband is a doctor and he says it’s very tricky to define “fully vaccinated” and that “up to date” is a better way of going about it because there are people who just got their second dose and can’t be expected to have a booster.

The same interview also said Hawaii is considering getting rid of Safe Travels in mid-spring.

I heard an interview yesterday where they implied they are waiting for the CDC to make an announcement about the definition of being “up to date” on your vaccines and they were thinking that definition may be made in mid-February.

I would think that if you aren’t eligible for a booster yet that you would be considered “up to date” on your vaccines with just the two. My husband is a doctor and he says it’s very tricky to define “fully vaccinated” and that “up to date” is a better way of going about it because there are people who just got their second dose and can’t be expected to have a booster.

The same interview also said Hawaii is considering getting rid of Safe Travels in mid-spring.

I think the CDC has already done so: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html
But could be wrong... everything is so confusing. My bride brain cannot handle it anymore :angel:

Same! Have a honeymoon planned for 2/11-2/19. We are vaccinated but not boosted.

Heck I’m hoping they don’t make boosted folks get a FOURTH because that would put us having to take it 5 days before we leave!! Trying not to freak out…..yet.

Heck I’m hoping they don’t make boosted folks get a FOURTH because that would put us having to take it 5 days before we leave!! Trying not to freak out…..yet.

Could you even get a fourth dose? I don't think you can unless you are immunocompromised. I think that they just want to see that if you've had two doses and its been five months since your second dose that you've had a booster. My husband had his booster end of September and I had mine mid-November.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter