BL 3 - Red Team week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you all sooo much for the encouragement! Means a lot to know ppl care... And I know all about sparkpeople.. it is a great place.. I just gave up on it but I went back to it tonight... I am making out a weeks worth of meals and am going to get on track... thank you all!

Good Saturday Morning Red Team! I am heading off for the gym. 30 minutes cardio, followed by 30 minutes of weights and some core strengthening.

We are supposed to have a beautiful last day of summer here between Boston and the Cape. Not sure what is on tap for the day. I was trying to take DD and her BFF to Boston on the train to roam (shop, have a nice lunch, visit a yummy Italian Bakery to get 1 Pistachio Macaroon and get some history, Paul Revere's House). Haven't heard back from her mom though.

I love cooking/baking. So I strive to find recipes that are healthy. I don't want to rely on frozen meals often because of the high sodium. That is what is causing us so much weight. Cooking Light has some great easy recipes (magazine and website). Also Weight Watchers web site. They even have a little quiz about how you eat.

I did the 6 Week Body Makeover a while ago and believe its core concept is correct. Basically you are cutting out all processed food. Sodium is evil. Did all of you know that celery is actually an empty enemy. Yes it cures our cravings for crunch, but it is high in sodium.

Here is my Moms recipe for Stuffed Peppers: 5 WW Points

6 bell peppers (color of choice)
1 pound ground turkey
1 medium onion chopped
1 cup cooked rice (I like to use the boil in bag for convenience)
1 teaspoon chopped garlic (yes I use jarred garlic, again for convenience)
15 ounce can tomato sauce
3 ounces shredded mozzarella
salt and pepper to desired tasting

Oven to 350 degrees

Cut top center of pepper off and clean out inside. Cook in boiling water until it is in a state between crisp and just a little tender. You don't want to over cook them to mush. Drain and set aside.

Cook beef, onion and garlic until brown, drain out the fat. Add back to pan and stir in rice, salt, pepper and 1 cup of tomato sauce.

Stuff peppers with the mixture above and put them in a dish that will hold the peppers upright. Pour remaining sauce on top, cover and toss in the oven for about 45 minutes. Uncover sprinkle with cheese and cook until cheese is melted.

See you later!

i have to admit that i have not been trying hard enough. i walk everywhere around campus, even up 4 flights of stairs (i refuse to take the elevator). these past few weeks have been tough for me since i don't really get home in time to make dinner, then my boyfriend will make what he likes and i'll eat like a pig. terrible, i know. i have however been drinking tons of water thanks to my brita pitcher (i occasionally sneak a ginger ale at dinner if i eat out, because i don't like the taste of restaurant water). i do eat a small lunch though and i've been trying to eat a clif bar for breakfast every day (lots of fiber and nutrients!).

this week should be a little better, my boyfriend is going abroad for a conference for the whole week and i'll get to exercise in the morning without feeling guilty that i'm not spending those extra hours with him in bed. here i come pilates!

i don't have much to lose (about 15-20 lbs) and i've seemed to hit a plateau, but i know i can lose it, i've done it once before.

i also have to admit that the last 2 nights we went out for dinner. both nights though, i stopped myself when i felt full, which did not mean finishing everything on my plate! i was proud of myself.

Morning Red Team...It has been a very rough week for me. Healing from knee surgery stinks. :eek: Although I am very used to it, it still stinks. I had a meeting at my son's school yesterday and went to Target after, took a cart instead of the crutches and walked around for about 1/2 hour. Slow, steady, and painful. I feel like such a beached whale just sitting but I know that that is what I need to do in order to heal faster and safer. I am terrified to get on the scale this week, I feel so bloated from the pain meds. I am only taking 1 at night but this stuff does a number on your body!!! As long as I don't gain I won't feel too bad. I had thought I would be walking with a cane at WDW next week, but will still need the crutches and a wheelchair...lol that only makes me feel worse! At least I am taking care of myself. We can do this, slow and steady, and to our fearless captain we CAN DO IT!!! Thanks for all of your encouragement.:goodvibes

GO RED TEAM!!!:cheer2:

Hey guys! I had another idea for a new veggie and you can combine this with your whole grain serving too.

Hummus!!! If you haven't tried it before, it's a really yummy dip/spread made with chickpeas. Good source of protein. Get a whole wheat pita and cut it up to dip or hummus is also good as a veggie dip. Make a great spread for a vegetarian sandwich too.

Similar idea if you want to try eggplant is baba ganoush. Here's a recipe:

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/appetizersandsnacks/r/eggplantdip.htm

You can usually find hummus already made in the refrigerated deli section. I've seen baba ganoush already made as well, but only at places like Whole Foods.

Hi everyone,

Checking in while I did not fast today, I did try to eat less.

If you can find it get Sabra Hummus, its one of the top 5 packages hummus.

I've never had hummus, does it tast very "chickpea-ish"? I jsut imagine check peas to have that same dry yucky textrue to them as regular peas and that makes me gag. (Like I said, I have texture issues) I think I'm going to go with the soup mix that had leeks in it. OR maybe I'll get daring and try some eggplant!

Hummus is awesome! It does not taste like chick peas at all. I have a favorite recipe at epicurious.com that is Hummus with Yogurt and Lemon (Bon Appetit, October 1997). Very good and I like making it, very easy as well. I know it is fresh.

I've never had hummus, does it tast very "chickpea-ish"? I jsut imagine check peas to have that same dry yucky textrue to them as regular peas and that makes me gag. (Like I said, I have texture issues) I think I'm going to go with the soup mix that had leeks in it. OR maybe I'll get daring and try some eggplant!

Not at all. I don't think you'd even know that's what it was made from it you didn't look at a recipe. Chickpeas are actually more of a bean than a pea I think. You'll also see them labeled as garbonzo beans. Hummus is a dip consistency, so not at all dry. One kind I like also has black olives in it and I've tried the sundried tomato flavor too - YUM!!!

I thought I'd share this form from the Flylady website. It's called the Body Clutter investigator (companion to her book). I think it's a really good worksheet for tracking your daily food and water intake and exercise. It asks all the right questions about what you're doing, including sleep. After a couple of weeks, you can look back and see what days you really lost and tie it back to what you did the day or two before to find what really works with your body.

http://www.flylady.net/images/bc_investigator.pdf

Hi everyone! I went dress shopping today and was pleasantly surprized! I'm down 2 dress sizes!:banana: The scale hasn't moved as much as I wanted it these last few weeks but somethings working! I quess some of my fat is turning to muscle! Its the first time in a long time I came home from trying on clothes happy!

I think my nightly walks are really helping. That and measuring and writing everything down, it really does help.

Hang in there everyone!

Just in case anyone was thinking of trying a prickly pear.....DON'T!:sad2: It was awful! UGH!

tinkamom - Congratulations!!!!

Just in case anyone was thinking of trying a prickly pear.....DON'T!:sad2: It was awful! UGH!

Hey, at least you tried it! You're doing better than me in that area. I am still talking myself into trying something new!

And congrats on the 2 sizes down, WTG!:woohoo:

Might as well worn you all today. I don't expect the scale to move too much tomorrow morning. I had lost an other pound last week, but with TOM just days away the scale will usually read a pound or two higher for a few days. Sorry guys.

:cheer2: GO TEAM GO, BE a LOSER! :cheer2:
And if you're not as big of a loser as you'd like to be, DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP OVER IT. It's ok if you haven't lost as much as you want. Take a breath, and keep going. DO NOT GIVE UP.

Eating healthier? Check.
Getting more exercise? Check.
Finding out you are not alone? Check.
Having a positive goal? Check.

As they said in Galaxy Quest
"Never give up, never surrender!"

Thanks for listening,
agnes!

Hi Cheryl,

Weigh in my midnight Tuesday night.

Celeste

Please check in on our week 4 thread now.

Report your weekly progress to me by Midnight tonight (Tuesday). Thanks Celeste.

Red Team Rocks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter