• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

BL 3 - Red Team week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching the BL show last night, I think we also need some perspective on those big losses.

Did you notice that most of the female contestants lost in the 2-5 lb range, mostly around 2-3 lbs? Those were the results they had after a week of 4 hour workouts with a personal trainer, diet consultations, and being removed from the normal stresses/temptations of their lives.

Ladies, if you lost anything this week, you made progress! All by yourself!!!!! Be proud of that. Even those with no change - guess what? You didn't gain weight! That's a positive too! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

1. I have 2 terrific kids
2. Happily married for 11 years
3. We have great vacations thanks to my planning
4. I’m a hard worker
5. I talked DH into a personal trainer to get healthy together
6. I’m smart
7. I am making positive changes in my life to be a good example to my kids

No loss for me this week. :(

6 things about me....

I'm smart
I have a great sense of humor.
I am pretty.
I know a lot about Special Ed.
I have a great family.
I am a warm person.

Happy Wednesday, TEAM! After doing 5K powerwalks the last 2 days (boy, do my shins and butt hurt), I took today off and went and watched my 2 kids run their first cross-country meet of the season. I purposely parked further away from the park, knowing that it's quite a hike into the park to get to the starting area. :thumbsup2

I'm looking for some help in this weekly challenge ... when I go to the grocery store, I buy "the usual" fruits and veggies. Can anyone suggest some fruits or veggies that I should look for, to try out my new ones for the week? Oh, and since I'm challenged in the area of the kitchen, let me know the best way to cook the veggies. I'm very much a "steam the veggies in the micro" kinda gal, so let me know if that works for anything you're suggesting. :lmao:

Adding to my list for today:

1) I have been married almost 14 yrs to a wonderful DH.
2) I have 2 beautiful children, who make me proud on a daily basis.
3) I am best friends with all of my sisters.
4) I finally got my butt in gear and did a 5K powerwalk at lunch.
5) I wear the title of "Disney Freak" with great Pride.
6) My butt hurts from yesterdays 5K powerwalk, but it's not going to stop me from going out there again today.
7) I was one of the biggest cheerleaders at my kids meet today ... and not just for my own, or their teammates, I was clapping and yelling for EVERYONE, and one of the marshalls commented on how great she thought that was.

gotta go get some more water ... I've probably had around 80oz today, but it's what I really want right now. :goodvibes

Keep up the great work everyone!

P.S. Mary Liz, where did you get your running Mickey? I have my eye on the Disney full one day (2010 to be precise) and he is perfect.:tinker: :donald: :mickeyjum

Hi Linda. I just went into my siggie so hope this image works for you ... I've had the Mickey since before the Inaugural WISH 2005 Team. And I'll be doing the 1/2 again in 2010 ... I promised my nephew that when he's 14, I'd do it with him. :goodvibes The whole "marathon weekend" experiece is awesome, made especially so because of the wonderful WISH'ers that I on-line trained with for a year. :love:

Try pasting this into your signature and see if it works. I had to take out the / before the last
before pasting it into your signature.

http://www.mickeysplace.hpg.ig.com.br/mickeycorrendo2.gif[IMG]

Oh, and I loved that "quarter pounder lady" scenario ... slow and steady not only wins the race but helps you keep it off too.

I had a Fruit & Nut Bar + an apple (a Fuji just picked from my own back yard) for breakfast. But I've got to remember to eat lunch when I should.

I love the four-packs of Lean Cuisines that I can get at Costco. When it's only myself for lunch, those are easy to heat up. That plus an apple and maybe some broccoli fills me up so I don't get the dreaded snackies attack later in the day.

I have decided to put my own spin on the "6 Good things", I want to write about *me*, not my DD or DH or any others (even though I do have a wonderful DH & DD).
About ME. But it is difficult to think of 6 positives "I am..." things about myself, the negatives come so easily, don't they? Do you ever wonder...*WHOSE* voice is that in your head being so negative? Do you have a specific person in mind from your past? I know I do. The constantly negative voice I "hear" is unfortunately my dad's.
Right now I can only think of a few positives, but will add to my own personal "I am..." list as the descriptions come to me.

I am thoughtful.
I am smart.
I am the holder of a Master's Degree.

agnes!
PS - This reminds me of my women's group at church. We have prayer cards. When I write down my request on my 'card', it can only be for myself, not for others. It's actually rather uncomfortable to do that - feels self-centered or something.

welcome to our new members Pyrateswife who's loss was included in our weekly total. Todays new member is Tink06 who is ready to add to new weeks total.
:welcome: to the Rocking Red Team!!

Attention Red Team!!

Our team now numbers 38, Tink will join us next week and one person did not report in for the week. Of our 36 members for this week we had 4 gains, 5 no changes, and 27 losses. We lost 43.5 pounds. EEKS - That is 3 extra people yet 13.4 pounds less than last week.

At this time I would like to annnounce the top five Red Team Losers for week two

(drum roll please)

#5 bcvprincess (Ann Marie) 2.155 %
#4 cherylp3 (Cheryl) 2.491 %
#3 Acklander (???) 2.609 %
#2 tmeyer (Thresa) 2.991 %

And the Red Team week 2 Biggest Loser is ....
bridgetgabbie (Robin) 3.966 %

Week 1 WISH Biggest Loser challenge team results

#1 The Black Team 2.05 %

To beat them we would have had to lose an additional 59 pounds!

#2 The Blue Team 1.64 %

To beat them we would have had to lose an additional 27 pounds!

#3 The Red Team 1.298 %

I hang my head in shame. What can we do Red Team? Do we have a lot of smaller people with less % to lose? Is everyone trying as hard as they can? I know I have not been, but I am with the program now. I do not want to be humiliated next week. This is getting old. Any suggestions Red Team?

I will be sending a PM to all team members pleading for help and making them aware of the weekly team challenge and that will be a royal pain. It would be nice to take that challenge.

I just feel like we have a lot of team members that are only half heartedly doing this. I know that has been me. I really just need to calm down. The world will not come to an end because we lost. This is not a reflection on me personally. We are trying. We are losing. We are developing better healthy habits. That is what this challenge is all about.

Hang in there Red Team. We will persevere. We will boldly move forward on our weight loss journeys. It is important for everyone to buckle down and really work hard, for the team, but most importantly for ourselves and our health.

I have a lot to loose. I did a check in with my nutritionist yesterday.

I started my water challenge today - 64 ox dank going for another 32
Will stop and go shopping for fruits and veggies tonight.

I went to Curves 3 times this week.

I checked the scale today and was up, I plan on adding a walk today and maybe one on Friday. Instead of going to the movies on Sunday, I plan on going to Epcot.

Keep making those healthy choices everyone.

-Cheryl

HI TEAM! I am exactly who Brenda was describing ... perhaps only half-heartedly doing this challenge. I've been doing the baby-steps thing ... get my water back on track, try and make better choices, kick-started my power walking this week. But am I really accountable for what I'm putting in my mouth every day? NO ... and that's not helping my TEAM. :sad2:

Today has been an excellent day, water-exercise-food wise ... so I'm going to pull out that journal tonight, and start being accountable for every bite. I owe it to all of you ... I owe it to myself. And I've been having TOM issues for the past 2 weeks, so I'm really, really hoping for a nice little visit from the Whoosh Fairy this week. ;)

Come on TEAM ... we CAN do this. :yay: :yay: :yay:

A big CONGRATS to everyone this week ... but especially our TOP 5 LOSERS! Weigh to go ! :cool1:

Maryliz, I also have TOM issues. I have elevated DHEAS and cortisol.
I'm trying the new lybrel pill next month.

-Cheryl

I hang my head in shame. What can we do Red Team? Do we have a lot of smaller people with less % to lose? Is everyone trying as hard as they can? I know I have not been, but I am with the program now. I do not want to be humiliated next week. This is getting old. Any suggestions Red Team?

I will be sending a PM to all team members pleading for help and making them aware of the weekly team challenge and that will be a royal pain. It would be nice to take that challenge.

I just feel like we have a lot of team members that are only half heartedly doing this. I know that has been me. I really just need to calm down. The world will not come to an end because we lost. This is not a reflection on me personally. We are trying. We are losing. We are developing better healthy habits. That is what this challenge is all about.

Hang in there Red Team. We will persevere. We will boldly move forward on our weight loss journeys. It is important for everyone to buckle down and really work hard, for the team, but most importantly for ourselves and our health.

Do you have everyone's weights? If we are all mostly in the mid 100s then we won't get big numbers.

There is a chance that the other teams are full of much larger people. They will loose more & quicker than the rest of us.

I know I have only lost 2 lbs in the past 2 weeks but I can honestly say I am giving it my all. I jog, walk & lift weights daily. I do yoga & pilates. I drink only water & eat well. I do not eat fast food or junk food. Even when I spend the day on my feet working a 12 hour shift I still get 40 -60 minutes of exercise in.

I don't expect to loose any big numbers. Last spring when I first began dieting I was losing pretty regularly. The last 20 lbs seems to be the hardest.

So sorry to be causing you humiliation.

It's true that if there are members on the team that have been dieting for a while the weight losses will be slower and a lot less. I've been averaging 2 pounds a week weight loss and I know that is probably going to be tops for me. Age plays a factor in how fast you lose too. The older you are the harder it is to lose. I do weight watchers so I am on program everyday. I don't really exercise too much because my job is pretty physical, lifting a lot and tons of walking.

I just can't see how as a group we could lose 60 more pounds a week (I could see 20 though) unless we have a few that lose more than 5 pounds each.

None of us should feel humiliated...as long as we are all trying to lose weight and it comes off either fast or slow, then we are being successful...even if we finish in last place. (BUT I would like to be in first place just once :) )

So red team members......lets all pledge to work a wee bit harder this week, stay on course, drink our water, take the challenge. No one should be starving themselves for this, watch portion sizes.When you measure out a cup of cereal you will be amazed at how little this really is. The first time I did it I was :eek: , I measured out the amount I usually poured into my bowl in the morning and it was 3 cups!! Well, no wonders I never lost weight! If you are drinking soda (pop) even diet..stop and drink water instead: anything carbonated will hinder weight loss, although a diet soda is better than a regular one. Stick to decaf drinks, caffiene is a no no on WW. (not sure why though:confused3)

PM me if you are having a bad day, I am a great support person. Let me be your panic button! I need to lose 100 pounds so I am not perfect at this weight loss stuff, but I am learning a lot from Weight Watchers that could apply to anyone.

LET'S GO TEAM!!

WE CAN GET IT DONE!!

Ok, so my problem for the challenge. What to try for a new veggie?

I eat broccolli, cauliflower, green and yellow squash, carrots, potatoes, avocado, lettuce, onions, peppers, cucumber, tomato (is that a fruit or veggie), yellow beans, beets, spaghetti squash, butternut squash.

I have tried and do not like: peas, any kind of bean along the line of lima, kidney etc. I have tried brussel sprouts and they were so so. I don't like mushrooms of anykind, I have a texture issue (hence the beans and peas).

So some suggestions for a veggie that tastes good is needed here. I walked the whole produce department today and I was :confused3 .

Has anyone had Rappi? I have a coupon for a free bag of it. How about baby patty pan squash?

Ok, so my problem for the challenge. What to try for a new veggie?

I eat broccolli, cauliflower, green and yellow squash, carrots, potatoes, avocado, lettuce, onions, peppers, cucumber, tomato (is that a fruit or veggie), yellow beans, beets, spaghetti squash, butternut squash.

I have tried and do not like: peas, any kind of bean along the line of lima, kidney etc. I have tried brussel sprouts and they were so so. I don't like mushrooms of anykind, I have a texture issue (hence the beans and peas).

So some suggestions for a veggie that tastes good is needed here. I walked the whole produce department today and I was :confused3 .

Has anyone had Rappi? I have a coupon for a free bag of it. How about baby patty pan squash?

How about spinach, I love it cooked or raw in a salad???:goodvibes

How about broccoli rabe or spagetti squash? Maybe kale or swiss chard? I had a hard time finding a new veggie too....I eat most of them already. I did find a couple of interesting new fruits today, an asian prickly pear and a red pear.

I think we need to be healthy in our expectations. With a 38 member team, a good healthy goal would be 57 - 76 lbs (that's 1.5-2 lbs each). We might not beat the other teams, but we'd all be making some good progress.

I've been brainstorming on this challenge. I'm another one who eats vegetables pretty regularly so there's not much new to try, but I found this website that I thought was helpful. It gave me some ideas, at least, as well as telling how to prepare them. I think artichoke should count as a new vegetable for me since I've only ever had it in a spinach-artichoke cheese dip (not exactly the healthiest):lmao:

http://www.kitchenhelper.net/unusualvegetables.html

The ideas on the site include:
celeriac
yams
chili peppers
fennel
etc.

Other ideas:
asparagus
broccolini (I LOVE this http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_28129,00.html)

eggplant
tomatillo
radishes
water chestnuts
watercress
shallots (use instead of onion)
parsnips
rutabaga
spaghetti squash
okra (I like it pickled - get the spicy - about 10 calories each)
jicama
beets
rhubarb
turnips
leeks (there is a great diet soup recipe using these - I think it's from the French Women Don't Get Fat book)
capers (I think they're a veggie, might be a fruit??)

Also, new to you greens should count. If you normally eat ice berg or romaine, branch out.

Escarole
Endive
Swiss Chard
Broccoli Rabe
mustard greens
cilantro

And the Red Team week 2 Biggest Loser is ....
bridgetgabbie (Robin) 3.966 %
Help!

I used to be really good at math but must be losing my skills. :lmao: I know Bridgetgabbie lost 4 lbs. She is also the winner at 3.966% lost. So, if she lost 4 lbs & that is 4% of her weight, wouldn't that mean she weighs 100 lbs? :confused3

No wonder I have trouble helping the kids anymore. :lmao: Feel free to teach me guys. :lmao:

Seriously, I'm getting more & more confused if someone could help me out. A member of the black team lost 3.6 lbs. It was 4.1% of her weight. Would that mean she weighs 90 some pounds??

By my calculations, taking into consideration that I don't know anyone's actually weight if she weighed 150 lbs & lost 3.6lbs it would be a 2.4% loss. If she weighed 200 lbs & lost 3.6 lbs it would be 1.8%.

So, if these numbers are correct then the other teams must have much smaller people in their groups to have such larger % numbers. Right?

**I know this must be wrong because if BCVprincess lost 1lb & it was 2.155% of her weight loss than wouldn't she weigh around 50 lbs???? Because if she weighed 100lbs & lost 1 pound wouldn't that only be 1%? LOL I must really need math help guys. :()

Ok. I just watched the last BL episode so I could figure out their calculations. The blue team weighed a total of 1761lbs. They lost a total of 43lbs giving them 2.43%.

When I try to apply the same calculations to our program it seems very off to me.

Help!

I used to be really good at math but must be losing my skills. :lmao: I know Bridgetgabbie lost 4 lbs. She is also the winner at 3.966% lost. So, if she lost 4 lbs & that is 4% of her weight, wouldn't that mean she weighs 100 lbs? :confused3

No wonder I have trouble helping the kids anymore. :lmao: Feel free to teach me guys. :lmao:

Ok. I just watched the last BL episode so I could figure out their calculations. The blue team weighed a total of 1761lbs. They lost a total of 43lbs giving them 2.43%.

When I try to apply the same calculations to our program it seems very off to me.

Our weekly team winner is determined by percentage of weight lost. We are calculating cumulative weight lost/initial weight so our percentages should get higher each week. That will be exciting. I just mentioned pounds lost to give you an idea of how we are doing. I'm still waiting on 4 weights. I think today I will PM team members I don't see here too often info about our weekly team challenge. To win this thing we will need EVERYONE participating.

I had a healthy breakfast and am drinking my water already today. Hope your day is off to a great start too.

MM - I bolded the part of D2D's post that I think explains the math questions. Is it cumulative on the show too? I thought they started new each week for the team competition but the individual was cumulative. :confused3 Seems like if the teams are always cumulative then once a team achieived a lead, it would be hard for the other teams to catch up.

I don't really understand either. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter