• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

best and worse meal of your last trip to WDW?

This is a fasinating thread. It is amazing how a restaurant can be the best for some and the worse for others. A very subjective topic.
I agree! I have been reading through the posts. Some hate the ones I love and some love the ones I refuse to go back to. So many different opinions and experiences. How can anyone say my favorite restaurants are their worst:rotfl:!

but we're a party of 5 that they sat at a 4 top
By far my BIGGEST pet peeve as a family of five!! I can't stand when they just throw a chair at the end of a 4 top. Half the time that chair is in the aisle and in the way, and the poor three people on that end of the table have to share space meant for two people. I often think about saying we're a party of 6 just to avoid this from happening.

I can't recall any "worst", but I think a highlight was at Nine Dragons. I believe I ordered a honey seared chicken of some sort. But I love chinese food, so I'm biased in that sense. I really enjoyed my meal at BOG, it was a seafood dish with pasta. I think the best buffet on property is definitely tusker house.

Last trip was in December.

Best: Rose and Crown
Worst: Liberty Tree Tavern (We had to wait 1 hour with a reservation, salad was soggy, meat was cold).

I'm trying to remember my October WDW trip:

Best: Garden Grill - Lunch (only because I always say Tusker House Breakfast)
Worst: Min & Bill's - Breakfast burrito of some kind - it really wasn't terrible or anything, but I only ate it because I was starving and about to lose my mind.

My most recent trip though was at DL, so I'll toss that in too:

Best: River Belle Terrace
Worst: Trader Sam's - Island Dog

Best - Tokyo Dining. Everything was fresh and delicious, the service was amazing, and we got to watch Illuminations from our table.
Worst - Hollywood & Vine. To be fair, it was during the first year of Minnie's Holiday Dine, so I think they were still working out the bugs. The character interactions were great, though, and the food was not bad, but we were slow to be seated and then the service was slow as well. I think everything else we had that trip was so good that this maybe seems rather worse in comparison.

Apologies in advance for the snark, but how can the service be slow at a buffet (H&V)? I mean...you serve yourself. I get your gripe about the seating and whatnot, and I'm not defending the food there, just curious about that comment really.

@coast2coastmickey While I am not the one who made the original slow buffet service remark, there can definitely be very slow service at a buffet. Taking drink orders, bringing you your drinks, bringing you your check, ect. I experienced that first hand on my trip last week at 1900 Park Fare dinner. I was already 2 (well paced) plates in before my drink finally arrived. And we had already been done eating for a good 10-15 minutes before our waiter finally brought us our check.

@coast2coastmickey While I am not the one who made the original slow buffet service remark, there can definitely be very slow service at a buffet. Taking drink orders, bringing you your drinks, bringing you your check, ect. I experienced that first hand on my trip last week at 1900 Park Fare dinner. I was already 2 (well paced) plates in before my drink finally arrived. And we had already been done eating for a good 10-15 minutes before our waiter finally brought us our check.
Ah, fair enough. I'm one of those people that politely will walk up to the nearest server at a computer and quietly ask for the check if I perceive it taking too long, and we usually only drink water with meals, so I'm not eagerly waiting for refills, generally. Thanks!

Just there 4/14-4/21 --

Best was probably a tie - liberty tree tavern and brown derby and for QS Satuli
Worst - was Ohana -- not that it was terrible food, but did not live up to the hype.

Apologies in advance for the snark, but how can the service be slow at a buffet (H&V)? I mean...you serve yourself. I get your gripe about the seating and whatnot, and I'm not defending the food there, just curious about that comment really.

No worries. It was basically like @Destinyz12 described- slow to bring drinks, dirty plates piling up (we were a group of 7), slow to bring the check... and it was hard to even get a server's attention. It seemed like there just weren't enough to go around. Maybe someone called in, hard to say. It wasn't horrible, but I might go again sometime, but it just stood out during that particular trip.

Last visit was last September. Best meal was California Grill. Honestly I don't remember having a bad meal at any restaurant at WDW.

In the last 12 months (this is hard!):

Best: a couple of weeks ago, we stopped by Tambu Lounge for dinner. We shared the pulled pork nachos & 'Ohana potstickers and it was more than enough food and less than $20 for us both! The food & service were both great but the cost probably knocked it into the "best" of the last year. We had a great meal at 'Ohana recently, too, but my favorite dishes are also served at Tambu so...

Worst: rarely have a truly bad meal but we were disappointed in Trails End breakfast and won't dine there again. Buffet is very small, food was not replenished frequently nor very tasty, service was slow, and it's a pain in the rear to get to just for mediocre buffet food. IMO time is money at Disney and it takes way too much just getting there (HDDR, though, is definitely worth the hassle!).

We also were disappointed in 1900 Park Fare dinner but only because the stepsisters weren't there that night and they were the only reason why I booked it. Food was decent Disney buffet food. I'm not sure we'll take a chance on it again because with our luck, they won't be appearing again!

March 2018

worst (both really bad food): BOG breakfast second worst: chef mickey's lunch
best: Satuli

Caveat: We didn't eat at many places, only a couple more than listed above.

I think the Disney should be ashamed at the food put out for BOG and Chef Mickey's.

Just for fun - what meal did you enjoy most and least during your last trip, or if you are lucky to live near and visit all the time - last 12 months?

Okay so I want to split my answer into two parts: Food and Atmosphere/Service

FOOD Wise:
Best
: California Grill - Very fancy and out of our 'comfort comfort zone' but the food was great!
Worst: Chef Mickey's - As I say every time I end up going here, Chef Mickey really needs to go back to cooking school.

ATMOSPHERE/SERVICE wise:
Best: Tony's Town Square, our server was FANTASTIC and totally put up with us being needy for our first meal after spending 12 hours travelling.
Worst/Best: Coral Reef: Showed up 45 minutes early for our reservation (on my cousins bday) to request a on window view. We knew their would be a significant wait so that is why we showed up so early offering to wait a bit. We waited two hours because the hostess said "She kinda forgot about our request". When we asked our server to rush our food, the Manager came over to ask if everything was okay and we told her how we waited two hours (now almost an hour and a half past our reservation time that we had just been seated). She rushed our food, tried to get us into the premiere viewing area for Illuminations (which is why we were rushing) but was unsuccessful. So she gave us three-three person fastpasses to be used anywhere on property. It's the little tiny paper passes. So went from pretty bad to not too shabby at all.
Worst: STK Orlando - Just keep in mind this is a partnership with Disney rather than a Disney owned restaurant. Food was great, but our server was so rude and snobby. She ignored us most of our meal, and was very slow. We were on a budgeted trip so we calculated out knowing we weren't going to be able to tip much, and we apologized to the servers that we weren't able to tip as much as normal/expected. We tipped $10.00 for our meal, completely based on our budget AND the quality of service we received. She opened up the black book when she picked it up and complained to us that we only gave her $10! "Only $10? Really? I have to live off my tips and you only gave me $10!" She said quite loudly. I would've taken it back if I didn't have any nice bones in my body.

Best: Art Smith's Homecomin' Kitchen. Fried chicken and shine cake fully lived up to the hype. Table on the screened in porch was the perfect setting for some good home cookin'.

Worst: Food and Wine Festival. I was really disappointed. Maybe I chose poorly, but I felt like very few things I had were actually really good. They felt like they were setting around for a bit. There were maybe 2 or 3 gems, but overall I felt disappointed I didn't have a nice sit-down lunch instead. Especially with so many restaurants around I haven't tried yet. I'm done with F&W for the foreseeable future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter