best and worse meal of your last trip to WDW?

We were on a budgeted trip so we calculated out knowing we weren't going to be able to tip much, and we apologized to the servers that we weren't able to tip as much as normal/expected. We tipped $10.00 for our meal, completely based on our budget AND the quality of service we received. She opened up the black book when she picked it up and complained to us that we only gave her $10! "Only $10? Really? I have to live off my tips and you only gave me $10!" She said quite loudly. I would've taken it back if I didn't have any nice bones in my body.

You are both in the wrong here. I assume that your tip was less than the standard 15-20%+ that is customary in the US, prompting her response.

1) The server was wrong for commenting on your tip. Horribly rude for her to do so. Even providing good service, some people tip more, some people tip less. It averages out. I understand her reaction, but I don't excuse it.

2) You were wrong for expecting to eat at places where the cost of food and service was more than you had budgeted. That's wrong, and you really are doing a disservice to the person bringing you your food, and probably the cooks in the back. In most restaurants, a portion of the server's tips are given to the back of the house, to show appreciation, and for those in the back to support their families. You should choose menu items or restaurants in your price range in the future.

I can get over a foreign tourist not understanding American tipping culture. I think it's horrible that you fully understand the culture yet decide to take it out on someone doing their job for your enjoyment. Absolutely unforgivable.

You are both in the wrong here. I assume that your tip was less than the standard 15-20%+ that is customary in the US, prompting her response.

1) The server was wrong for commenting on your tip. Horribly rude for her to do so. Even providing good service, some people tip more, some people tip less. It averages out. I understand her reaction, but I don't excuse it.

2) You were wrong for expecting to eat at places where the cost of food and service was more than you had budgeted. That's wrong, and you really are doing a disservice to the person bringing you your food, and probably the cooks in the back. In most restaurants, a portion of the server's tips are given to the back of the house, to show appreciation, and for those in the back to support their families. You should choose menu items or restaurants in your price range in the future.

I can get over a foreign tourist not understanding American tipping culture. I think it's horrible that you fully understand the culture yet decide to take it out on someone doing their job for your enjoyment. Absolutely unforgivable.

RIP me, I wasn't aware that this thread was used to rip people apart on the choices they make. It was solely based on the servers effort. I used to be a server myself and the server is the first time of 'defense' for this type of thing. You don't interact with the chef (normally) during a meal, or a busboy, and even if they split tips, most of the time (at least in my mind), it's based on the service that was provided to me upfront.
I'm not going to say anything else towards this because I really don't want this to blow up into something it's not.

...but if you are on a budget order less food/eat at less expensive places. Don’t stiff your waiter/waitress. Tips are not where you cut corners.
We were on the Deluxe Dining Plan, which we got for a discount through the free dining offer.

RIP me, I wasn't aware that this thread was used to rip people apart on the choices they make. It was solely based on the servers effort. I used to be a server myself and the server is the first time of 'defense' for this type of thing. You don't interact with the chef (normally) during a meal, or a busboy, and even if they split tips, most of the time (at least in my mind), it's based on the service that was provided to me upfront.
I'm not going to say anything else towards this because I really don't want this to blow up into something it's not.

Dude, words have meaning. It wasn’t “solely based” on the service. You said “We were on a budgeted trip so we calculated out knowing we weren't going to be able to tip much, and we apologized to the servers that we weren't able to tip as much as normal/expected. We tipped$10.00 for our meal, completely based on ourbudget AND the quality of service we received.”

Their service, sure it was bad. But you were wrong for thinking you were entitled to sit there in the first place. “As a server...”. Yeah I don’t believe for a second that a server would do what you did.

Last trip
Best - Ale & Compass (food and service was excellent)

Worst - Kona (food good, just slow service)

Previous trip with Deluxe Dining
Best - Tie between Flying Fish & Tiffins

Worst - Citricos

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter