Beggars are getting bold!

That's just who jobs like that are for. They aren't meant to support adults and you can't expect the business to pay more than the going rate of pay

And holding that as an example of a job street people can take is false. It won't even begin to do anything for them.

The small town I live in does have a small population of homeless people. There's even a camp somewhere in town. But they don't pan handle.

I'll see homeless people and pan handlers when I go to Indy. Esp if I'm downtown for a con. Once during a con I saw a guy with a sign that said, "I'm not going to lie, I need a drink!" He got his picture taken a lot.

But the oddest encounter I had was running into a pan handler INSIDE the con! There was a guy in the hallway selling pins with the con logo on it. They looked really cool and I kinda wanted one. Since you have to be a vendor to sell anything at the con, I thought it was something the con was doing to raise money for charity. But after talking to him for less than a minute something felt off. He was also wanting $5 each for the pins. Another red flag in my mind. I asked him where the money was going. He admitted that he was just "trying to make a way". I told him no and walked away at that point. If the pin had been $1 I might have bought it, but not at $5.

sailorstitch

It's even easier to not start. We all know what happens when when you take that first puff of crack so why do it.

Off topic, but I've often wondered if all it really takes is one puff of crack or one does of heroin. I'm pretty strong willed and I've often thought I could avoid becoming addicted but I'm also smart enough not to chance it.

Just the musings of 3 Men after a glass of wine.

My employer had a 2:1 ratio of matching gifts to charitable organizations. It would have been STUPID of me to give to anybody or any organizations that did not get the matching funds. Lets see - $1 to help someone or $3 to help someone - a no brainer.

$1 to a druggie or $3 to someone truly in need? Another no brainer.

I need to stay out of this thread. The compassion and understanding in here is underwhelming. :sad2:

I am truly glad so many of you never had to live without a roof over your head and without knowing where your next meal is coming from. Maybe next time you see a "bum" you can at least consider the hardships they face on a daily basis instead of immediately judging and showering them with contempt.
Most of those people probably think they have high moral standards. :sad2: It amazes me that those who don't appear to care about the less fortunate have somehow convinced themselves that they are morally superior. Sadly, I know too many people like that. They're not fooling anyone who actually cares about people.

Last edited:
I need to stay out of this thread. The compassion and understanding in here is underwhelming. :sad2:

I am truly glad so many of you never had to live without a roof over your head and without knowing where your next meal is coming from. Maybe next time you see a "bum" you can at least consider the hardships they face on a daily basis instead of immediately judging and showering them with contempt.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Even calling them beggars and bums is a shock to me.

Do you live in an area with a large number of bums?

Because I have plenty of sympathy for the actual homeless and down on their luck folks. But the bums where I live work the same corners with the same outlandish stories for months on end. They aren't doing it for food or housing. They're doing it for the Mary Jane and convenience store booze and smokes.

Off topic, but I've often wondered if all it really takes is one puff of crack or one does of heroin. I'm pretty strong willed and I've often thought I could avoid becoming addicted but I'm also smart enough not to chance it.

Just the musings of 3 Men after a glass of wine.

I watch a ton of Intervention (A&E show) and many of the addicts say that they get hooked the very first time.

I don't do illegal drugs but I know I have an addictive personality and would get hooked on something quickly. A few times over the years I have had to take a super high dose of steroids and I get addicted to it after two days. Most people can stop cold turkey but I can't..I have to have a two month weaning off period. If I stop cold turkey I get chills, hallucinations, and get super paranoid. I can see why people would take more drugs rather than go through that every day.

I watch a ton of Intervention (A&E show) and many of the addicts say that they get hooked the very first time.

I don't do illegal drugs but I know I have an addictive personality and would get hooked on something quickly. A few times over the years I have had to take a super high dose of steroids and I get addicted to it after two days. Most people can stop cold turkey but I can't..I have to have a two month weaning off period. If I stop cold turkey I get chills, hallucinations, and get super paranoid. I can see why people would take more drugs rather than go through that every day.
It's one of those situations that I hope I never find out. I've never used an illegal drug, not even pot, I'll drink a beer, glass of wine, or a drink but I don't use drugs. I've just often wondered was it actually addictive or is it the feeling that one wants to replicate.
Say if someone slipped something in my drink or injected me without my knowing. Could I become addicted? Or would I continually try to replicate the feeling?
I hope I never find out.
I know plenty of people that do drugs, and witnessing them is enough to keep me straight.

Where I live we don't get panhandlers except for during the holidays and then they are at the entrances to the shopping plaza's. But now in the summer, nope not a one. I've never given to any. I give to charities and my church. I can't help but be skeptical that they aren't really in need. And besides, it's rather suspicious to only be out begging at the holidays and no other time.

I hate to say it but my church runs a food bank that I have donated to many times. One day I was up at the church and saw folks loading food bank groceries into their car. The lady was wearing the latest trendy clothing and shoes and decked out with jewelry. I don't think our food bank is very careful to make sure the folks are truly needy. It looked like she had more disposable income than me because she spent less on groceries! I do still give, but I worry a bit more than I used to that I am really helping needy people.

I worked with someone who got most of her groceries at the food bank. She lived in a nice house and drove a nice car. There is no way she would have qualified if she had to provide proof that she was in need. It was really odd.

ETA: I didn't see it was an old thread when I posted. Sorry!

Last edited:
Well, the panhandlers here who "live" in the mission all have food stamp cards so somehow they manage it.

Not every town has a mission for the homeless to live in. The shelter here is for night time only and they can't use it as a permanent residence so no address. And no food stamp cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter