Beggars are getting bold!

Not every town has a mission for the homeless to live in. The shelter here is for night time only and they can't use it as a permanent residence so no address. And no food stamp cards.

They can't stay all day in the mission nor use it as a mailing address. That's my point. But I know for a fact that several of them have ebt cards. I see them panhandle and then go in to the convenience store and buy booze with their cash and junk food with their ebt. So they get them somehow.

In A paper there was a story.m with a picture...a car dealer had a big sign on one of his cars to warn people..Not to give their hard earned money to a panhandler that apparently uses the busy area at the dealership. The dealership Allegedly stepped up and offered the guy a job at , I think $10./hour but the panholder Turned it down and indicated he makes more than that doing what he does.
Sad and wrong on so many levels...:(
Oh, just read thru and looks like someone actually posted that sign/story.

I don't even know what a zombie thread is... ??

Off topic, but I've often wondered if all it really takes is one puff of crack or one does of heroin. I'm pretty strong willed and I've often thought I could avoid becoming addicted but I'm also smart enough not to chance it.

Just the musings of 3 Men after a glass of wine.

The statistic for heroin is something like 25% of people who try it will become addicts.

Lets just say, that there is just the very slight chance that a pahnandler is actually a parent in need...

Let's just say, that there is just the very reasonable chance that a panhandler is a person in need... and not be too judgmental. Cynicism isn't a nice quality, and persons without children fall on hard times too.

Last edited:
This may have been said (I tend to jump in on the deep end) but beggars are in trouble here in the UK. A bunch of travellers showed up in a grave yard and had a barbeque on a tomb. The police came and issued them with a dispersal order, but the travellers said they'd just come back when the ban ended. I find that sick.

Last edited:

They can't stay all day in the mission nor use it as a mailing address. That's my point. But I know for a fact that several of them have ebt cards. I see them panhandle and then go in to the convenience store and buy booze with their cash and junk food with their ebt. So they get them somehow.

Oh, I see what your saying. The homeless camp down by the creek is right behind Walmart. They don't have EBT. They may not have id or maybe it's the not being able to buy prepared food that they just don't use it. There are several convenience stores close by and honestly have never seen one of these guys in these stores buying anything let alone junk food. Not saying none of them buy alcohol or cigarettes, just haven't seen it.

I have been asked straight out for a cigarette and have given it to them.

Dh was approached by a guy at a truckstop who asked for some change. He straight up told him he was an alcoholic and was going to buy beer. He was honest and was obviously very upset that he needed it. Dh gave him the money.

In all honesty it wouldn't matter to me if they have EBT. I just can't bring myself to judge these people. I sleep in a soft comfortable warm bed every night. I have ac in the summer and heat in the winter. The most I have to get in the rain is from my house to my car. I have hot water to bath everyday and to have clean clothes. They live on a creek bank. They can't get out of the rain. They sleep on the sand or if they are lucky they have a sleeping bag or some old blankets. No way to ever have clean clothes or a bath. One or two may have some kind of make shift tent but it's not much. I find it incredibly sad that anyone in this great country has to live this way.

I watch a ton of Intervention (A&E show) and many of the addicts say that they get hooked the very first time.

I don't do illegal drugs but I know I have an addictive personality and would get hooked on something quickly. A few times over the years I have had to take a super high dose of steroids and I get addicted to it after two days. Most people can stop cold turkey but I can't..I have to have a two month weaning off period. If I stop cold turkey I get chills, hallucinations, and get super paranoid. I can see why people would take more drugs rather than go through that every day.

Actually nobody can stop high doses of steroids cold turkey; it's quite dangerous. Doctors typically prescribe doses that taper over a period of weeks.

Actually nobody can stop high doses of steroids cold turkey; it's quite dangerous. Doctors typically prescribe doses that taper over a period of weeks.

My neurologist said that most people can just stop after a three day dose. He also said it's rare to need a taper like mine but obviously does it for me.

Thanks for the actually though :thumbsup2

I watch a ton of Intervention (A&E show) and many of the addicts say that they get hooked the very first time.

I don't do illegal drugs but I know I have an addictive personality and would get hooked on something quickly. A few times over the years I have had to take a super high dose of steroids and I get addicted to it after two days. Most people can stop cold turkey but I can't..I have to have a two month weaning off period. If I stop cold turkey I get chills, hallucinations, and get super paranoid. I can see why people would take more drugs rather than go through that every day.
As someone else said, everyone has to do that. In fact, that is why there is such a thing as a steroid pack. Even a pretty straight forward dose, for just one day, requires five days to wean off.

It took me six months to wean off of steroids. Why? Because I had to take them at a high dose for about five years.

And it's even easier to turn a blind eye.
Are you implying that I do? Other wise that comment makes no sense. You have no idea what I do, or don't do. Infact you might be shocked at the money I have given to charity and the things we do. The homeless cause seems very important to you. So I would guess and hope that you are very generous with your time, talent and treasure. Most people I have found are not. They talk a big game but do nothing to help. Homeless people, bums, hobo's panhandles what ever you want to call them do not belong out on the streets begging for money.Giving them a couple of bucks or a smoke does not help them at all. So please, keep up the good work.

As someone else said, everyone has to do that. In fact, that is why there is such a thing as a steroid pack. Even a pretty straight forward dose, for just one day, requires five days to wean off.

It took me six months to wean off of steroids. Why? Because I had to take them at a high dose for about five years.

DH experienced a similar thing a few years ago. He was recovering from a virus that almost killed him and ended up taking steroids for a couple years. Every time the doctor tried to him wean down his lung and chest problems returned requiring brief hospitalization. It took him at least 3 tries over the course of a year to get off steroids. He has been warned to avoid steroids in the future if possible.

Are you implying that I do? Other wise that comment makes no sense. You have no idea what I do, or don't do. Infact you might be shocked at the money I have given to charity and the things we do. The homeless cause seems very important to you. So I would guess and hope that you are very generous with your time, talent and treasure. Most people I have found are not. They talk a big game but do nothing to help. Homeless people, bums, hobo's panhandles what ever you want to call them do not belong out on the streets begging for money.Giving them a couple of bucks or a smoke does not help them at all. So please, keep up the good work.

Except in the sense of taking a moment to acknowledge that this person as an actual human being, making eye contact, sharing a smile, a brief greeting, a small moment of generosity, a cup of coffee (or whatever else they want to spend it on).

This is not the same as feeding bread to wild ducks and making them dependent on human handouts and potentially malnourished because they're now eating Wunderbread instead of foraging on the lake bottom. These are actual people. When they were six, they were not proudly announcing to everyone, "When I grow up, I want to sit on a street corner and beg for spare change!" They're where they are because all other options seem untenable at the moment.

Will two dollars, or a couple of bus tickets, or a cup of coffee solve their problems? Of course not. But, it'll make the next five minutes a little bit better.

(For the record, I don't give to scam artists. I like honesty. If you want a couple bucks, just ask. If I have it, great, if I don't, I'll wish you better luck with the next person.)

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I'm going to trust my neurologist over some random people on the internet.

Maybe it's different for us because of the whole drug culture thing? Who knows..

I said I wouldn't come back and comment, but this I can't ignore.

It is great that you contribute to charities, truly it is.

Do not think, for a second, however, that cash does not help these people. I've shared my past here before in this thread. So I know exactly what I'm speaking about.

I remember, vividly, being 7 years old (a little after my parents found us a home), but money was still so tight. I remember bringing the mail in one day and there was an unstamped envelope in there, addressed to my mother, with a small note telling her what wonderful children she had and welcoming us to the neighborhood and $50 inside. I remember her breaking down (and my mother rarely cries, she is an incredibly strong woman) because we needed that so desperately.

We didn't panhandle, but it was obvious to our neighbors we had had a rough life. We were clean, but our clothes were beyond worn, shoes desperately needed replaced and we were almost skeletal.

Our kind neighbors recognized that and chose to help us. So, don't you for a second, not one second say that giving a desperate person money doesn't help. You've never seen my mother break down in the kitchen, so relieved that the kindness of one person meant that we could have food, or electricity or my siblings' & father's insulin.

People who sit at their keyboards and judge and condemn people because they probably have drug problems/alcohol problems/mental issues/poor money management, while saying, well I donate to charities and that's really more help, are people who turn a blind eye and don't realize how difficult these people truly have it and how hard every day for them is.

I have been there. I have watched my parents struggle. I actually know. You have no clue. You have no clue what these people go through. The mentally ill, the down on their luck, our veterans. Thank God you don't know. Trust me. It isn't a camping trip with free booze and drugs, bought by the donations of hard working Americans. It is uncertantity, constant hunger, fear and soul crushing depression.

Maybe try to remember that next time you see a "bum" and at least be grateful for how well you have it.

I said I wouldn't come back and comment, but this I can't ignore.

It is great that you contribute to charities, truly it is.

Do not think, for a second, however, that cash does not help these people. I've shared my past here before in this thread. So I know exactly what I'm speaking about.

I remember, vividly, being 7 years old (a little after my parents found us a home), but money was still so tight. I remember bringing the mail in one day and there was an unstamped envelope in there, addressed to my mother, with a small note telling her what wonderful children she had and welcoming us to the neighborhood and $50 inside. I remember her breaking down (and my mother rarely cries, she is an incredibly strong woman) because we needed that so desperately.

We didn't panhandle, but it was obvious to our neighbors we had had a rough life. We were clean, but our clothes were beyond worn, shoes desperately needed replaced and we were almost skeletal.

Our kind neighbors recognized that and chose to help us. So, don't you for a second, not one second say that giving a desperate person money doesn't help. You've never seen my mother break down in the kitchen, so relieved that the kindness of one person meant that we could have food, or electricity or my siblings' & father's insulin.

People who sit at their keyboards and judge and condemn people because they probably have drug problems/alcohol problems/mental issues/poor money management, while saying, well I donate to charities and that's really more help, are people who turn a blind eye and don't realize how difficult these people truly have it and how hard every day for them is.

I have been there. I have watched my parents struggle. I actually know. You have no clue. You have no clue what these people go through. The mentally ill, the down on their luck, our veterans. Thank God you don't know. Trust me. It isn't a camping trip with free booze and drugs, bought by the donations of hard working Americans. It is uncertantity, constant hunger, fear and soul crushing depression.

Maybe try to remember that next time you see a "bum" and at least be grateful for how well you have it.
I have supplied many Christmases and Thanksgivings over the years, it's nice and kind and the right thing to do. And it's really not that expensive. But for the homeless the best thing for them to be is in a shelter. That's not coming form me. That's coming for people who work with them.

Except in the sense of taking a moment to acknowledge that this person as an actual human being, making eye contact, sharing a smile, a brief greeting, a small moment of generosity, a cup of coffee (or whatever else they want to spend it on).

This is not the same as feeding bread to wild ducks and making them dependent on human handouts and potentially malnourished because they're now eating Wunderbread instead of foraging on the lake bottom. These are actual people. When they were six, they were not proudly announcing to everyone, "When I grow up, I want to sit on a street corner and beg for spare change!" They're where they are because all other options seem untenable at the moment.

Will two dollars, or a couple of bus tickets, or a cup of coffee solve their problems? Of course not. But, it'll make the next five minutes a little bit better.

(For the record, I don't give to scam artists. I like honesty. If you want a couple bucks, just ask. If I have it, great, if I don't, I'll wish you better luck with the next person.)
Can you spare a couple of bucks! US currency please. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter