I think the different perspectives on things are so interesting to read. One influence on me has been how young I was when we first did WDW. No FP's. Lines only... and you waited a loooonnnggg time. Mostly in the heat with no cool line queue... and no smartphones. Just you, your family, and the heat for close to 2 hours to get on.... 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea! :P

You must have been there on a very major holiday. We used to go at that time and before (that ride closed in '94) and hardly ever needed to wait in lines for rides. Definitely was no 2 hr. ones.

You must have been there on a very major holiday. We used to go at that time and before (that ride closed in '94) and hardly ever needed to wait in lines for rides. Definitely was no 2 hr. ones.

I waited in MANY 2+ hour lines prior to the advent of Fastpass. We always went in summer, not around any holidays. I specifically remember waiting 2 hours for Splash Mountain in 1990, Space Mountain in 1987, and over an hour for 20K in the 80s.

Yes, early on we didn't go on holidays at all, and the lines were definitely over and hour and a half many times. Jungle Cruise used to be a killer, and 20K I remember as being the worst. When you see queues of the old style and all the twists and turns they used to be crammed full, ever single turn, and then out into the walkways on particular rides.

We went many times in 80's early 90's before 20,000 LUS closed and never waited long for any rides, or saw any, just our experiences, I guess.

My son just went on FoP back in May. Prior to going there he had read about the long waits. He also could not get a FastPass nor was he staying on the park so no EMH. One thing we kept hearing was that the actual wait time did not reflect the published time.

The first day he went to AK, the wait time was posted as 120 minutes. The person he was travelling with just wouldn't do it, so he didn't do it. Prior to leaving his trip, he went over to AK right when it opened for regular guest (9AM). It was an EMH day so the park had already been open for 1 hour. By the time he got to the line the wait was about 120 minutes. He was texting me that he couldn't do it and was going to give up. I had to give him the "what for's" and tell him he went all the way to Florida really JUST to do that ride and he should just suck it up and do it. So he did. Actual wait time 60 minutes. He got no benefit from being a single rider. So I've heard a number of times that they just don't have their wait time accurately posted for this ride and in my son's case this was true.

Last edited:
For whatever reason when we were in the pre-pre-show area they were looking for a party of 2 a lot more than single riders. That happened at least 3 or 4 times.

And, I'd add in our experience of EMH recently there are many people who see the line at rope drop and leave to go somewhere else. If that's you, don't leave, the line moves really really fast. They have to get everyone ran through the queue (the FP queue) and get everyone loaded.

Do you guys think I will have a problem getting a FP+ for FoP for the first day of our trip at 60 days out? We have a flight landing at MCO at 9:30 am on a Sunday and we're planning on AK that day. The only thing my husband requested for the trip was FoP, so I need a FP+.

I can always rearrange our schedule if need be.

It's the best ride in Disney World but I still wouldn't wait 2 hours for it. Either rope drop it or get in line at park close so you can see the whole queue
When you say get in the line at Park close, what time does that actually mean? Let's say the park close time is listed as 9 p.m. what time can I get in the line still be allowed to wait?

When you say get in the line at Park close, what time does that actually mean? Let's say the park close time is listed as 9 p.m. what time can I get in the line still be allowed to wait?

You can get in line up until 8:59 and still be allowed to wait. They usually inflate the posted wait time before the park closes to discourage people from getting in line but as long as you're in line when they close the queue when the park closes you'll be able to ride.

30-40 is usually my wait limit max. But we jumped into a 95 post time last week to ride for the third time (first at rope drop which took 30 and second with FP). We would have waited 95 without complaint because it is THAT good. We got in line about 30 minutes prior to park close and it took about 50 minutes.

I agree with a PP that it would be better if it was SW instead of Avatar. They have set the bar REALLY high for SW now (but that’s a discussion for another thread :) )

I have waited in line for two hours for this attraction and would do so again. It's a must-do for us! We re-rode it after our FP's and stood in line.

I have heard of the line for this ride being more than 2 hours at times. Just wondering if this ride lives up to the hype and is worth waiting for?

We got in line right at park closing and it was only 45 minutes one night and about an hour the second. My son is autistic and struggles with lines. He said it was worth the 45 wait. The rest of my family agrees. We would not, however, wait 2 hours for it and miss that amount of time in the park. Again though, go at closing so you're not missing anything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter