I thought it was a cool ride for sure but not one I would wait 2 hours for. Ride if you can get a FP or try getting in right before the park closes.

It is one of the best rides . We have waited 60 minutes and didn't feel bad. The que is amazing, FP line misses some of the cool areas.
I don't think any ride is worth 2 hours.
If you cannot do this at rope drop (getting there 45 minutes early), then right before park close often has a shorter line.

I would wait an hour for it, as that is my absolute limit for certain rides. Best ride in all of WDW.

Really looking forward to fop. We have two fp and probably will rope drop once for it. All the hype here on the dis has got me really excited to try it. But what about it is better that other simulator rides? The story line.... or is it more than that?

We were in AK the week after Pandora opened. We rode Fop at rope drop twice in a row (as in, cast member told us to sit back down if we wanted to ride again, we all did - I think the pre-show rooms were slow loading that morning). Later that afternoon, my husband and 9 year old decided it was worth it to wait in the 2 hour line to ride it again. My mother, myself, and my 6 year old opted for a quiet meal and some down time. Worth it definitely depends.

Really looking forward to fop. We have two fp and probably will rope drop once for it. All the hype here on the dis has got me really excited to try it. But what about it is better that other simulator rides? The story line.... or is it more than that?
It’s more.....but as someone else said, you are better off going in cold! The first time is just wow, completely in awe. On subsequent rides when you aren’t so in awe you can actually......

FOP is amazing, that said 1 hour would be by limit.

Definitely NOT worth 2 hours standby. Not at all. I just rode this for the first time and was seriously underwhelmed. This ride is WAY overhyped. I think both Harry Potter rides at Universal are WAY better. In my opinion, this ride is only worth it with a fastpass.

I am a jaded Orlando resident and refuse to wait in line for anything.

That said, when a friend visited a few weeks ago, she really wanted to go on FoP. We got in line round 4 pm and waited for about 90 minutes. It was worth every single second. So much so that we got in line again at the end of the day and waited for another hour.

While I would NOT wait in line for two hours for a ride, it is probably the best ride I have ever been on. Get a FP for it without hesitation. But waiting two hours? That is not for me.

Definitely NOT worth 2 hours standby. Not at all. I just rode this for the first time and was seriously underwhelmed. This ride is WAY overhyped. I think both Harry Potter rides at Universal are WAY better. In my opinion, this ride is only worth it with a fastpass.
What surprised me is that this is exactly how I thought we'd feel. We all love Potter and all the rides. My kids thought Avatar was ok; I can't even stand to watch it all--I've only seen snippets. But I think Disney really built something great here; I was surprised how much we enjoyed it. And somehow it didn't make me nearly hurl like FJ does, so maybe that colored my opinion LOL.

To me, It’s the only attraction at WDW knowingly worth an hour wait.

As mentioned, get in line at the end of the day. <30 minutes before park close, Ride times are inflated.

2 weeks ago I entered the FOP line at the end of the day with a posted 90 minute time and “only” waited 46 min to the 1st show room... definitely worth it! (And I’ve been on FoP multiple times)

You never know what you are going to like, and this one is good enough that everyone should try it once. That’s what my wife did, and she could appreciate how cool and immersive the ride was, but she struggled with her usual motion sickness issues. My kids and their friends, who have done the Harry Potter attractions numerous times, all thought FoP was better, but everyone is different! I don’t think we’ll ever willingly get on a 120+ minute line, but if we wait 60-90 from gate to exiting the gift shop at rope drop I’d be ok with it (and we DON’T do lines, EVER), and after all the comments I’ve heard I kind of want to see the queue. That’s the biggest downside of FP, the return entrances are always underwhelming! Of course we’ll shoot for multiple rides using FP+!

I think the different perspectives on things are so interesting to read. One influence on me has been how young I was when we first did WDW. No FP's. Lines only... and you waited a loooonnnggg time. Mostly in the heat with no cool line queue... and no smartphones. Just you, your family, and the heat for close to 2 hours to get on.... 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea! :P

Same holds true for who likes what rides; while if I was forced to wait 2 hours for FoP (which I never have had to do, longest wait was around 40 min. if you count waiting at AK gate), I would, you couldn't pay me to ride Forbidden Journey over in Universal again. I try not to hype the FoP love too much, because I don't think any ride can hold up to that unless it strikes a chord with a person.

I think the different perspectives on things are so interesting to read. One influence on me has been how young I was when we first did WDW. No FP's. Lines only... and you waited a loooonnnggg time. Mostly in the heat with no cool line queue... and no smartphones. Just you, your family, and the heat for close to 2 hours to get on.... 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea! :P

Same holds true for who likes what rides; while if I was forced to wait 2 hours for FoP (which I never have had to do, longest wait was around 40 min. if you count waiting at AK gate), I would, you couldn't pay me to ride Forbidden Journey over in Universal again. I try not to hype the FoP love too much, because I don't think any ride can hold up to that unless it strikes a chord with a person.

I think this is very true. I just didn't have an emotional reaction to FoP. In fact, I thought the ride went on for too long with visuals I just couldn't relate to and didn't have any attachment to (I hated the movie and couldn't even finish it.) I was also quite annoyed by the constant buzzing/vibrations in the seat and didn't feel they added anything to the experience. I think the technology is great and could have been an amazing attraction with a different IP. On the other hand, I loved all the Harry Potter books and felt those rides were way too short and wished they were longer.

My husband had a similar reaction to FoP. His words were "That could be an amazing Star Wars ride. As it is, it has cool tech but the content is just so lame. Give me a speeder bike ride through Endor and I'd be all over it."

I just didn't have an emotional reaction to FoP......."That could be an amazing Star Wars ride. As it is, it has cool tech but the content is just so lame. Give me a speeder bike ride through Endor and I'd be all over it."
Yes! I’m hoping Disney achieves similar greatness with an attraction in Star Wars land! FoP set the bar (for me) at such a high level compared to any other attraction I’ve ever experienced! TSL is a decent placeholder, but SWL required FoP level greatness.

As for Avatar, I’ve never seen the movie, not all the way through, so FoP was not emotional for me based on familiarity with the movie. Rather, the ride is a purely visceral hit, even with unfamiliar visuals it was still a fascinating ride, and the motion and other effects they achieve are pretty great, if you ask me!

I loved the Harry Potter books more than I loved Avatar (loved both, but I'm a book nerd first and foremost), and I absolutely adore the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, both lands; with the shops and storefronts in that specific part of their parks, Universal knocked it out of the park. I could hang out an just enjoy the atmosphere, but the Gringott's ride was just ok for me and I loathe Forbidden Journey. Whereas I think Disney did a fine job with the land of Pandora, and knocked it out of the park with FoP. It just shows you can actually love the IP and hate a ride based on it, and I'd assume you could hate the IP and love a ride.

We were able to ride twice with FP on our most recent trip and thought it was an amazing ride. However, we would not wait two hours for it, nor would we be up early enough on vacation to be at the park an hour before park opening. It's good, but not how we would choose to spend our vacation time. so for us it's FP or skip.

If you ride FoP at closing, do you miss ROL or can you do both?
Riding at closing means you get on the standby line at approximately 5min before the parks closing time. When the park closes a CM comes to the end of the line(if it's outside the regular queue) and prevents any more guests from joining. So long as you are on the line you are guaranteed to ride. Additionally, since there are no more fp+ after closing time the ride is fed completely from standby, and this the wait time drops tremendously.
Since, when you exit the ride the park is closed you cannot join another standby queue. So you would have to choose between FOP or ROL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!