Anyone else rethinking riding the Gondolas?

lovedisneycruise

Mouseketeer
POP is my favorite value resort and I was pretty excited about the new mode of transportation and anxious to try on my next trip. I read the various posters who always said no way! and others who claimed Disney knows what they are doing. I kind of fell in the middle.

However after seeing that picture of the crushed cars last night at the skyliner station and hearing about people in the air for hours after only a few days operational, I think I will steer clear. It just seems too soon for a problem like this. Suddenly the crowded buses seem ok to me.
Anyone else feel this way?

Not at all. Looking forward to riding the Skyliner. We usually stay at POP so certainly in our plans!! If a plane crashes. Well still fly...
Cars crash everyday. We still drive.
We will 110% want to ride the Sky Liner.

Last edited:

I didn't want to ride them before the accident, and now I for sure won't ride them. Too many variables at this point to change my mind. I feel awful for those poor people trapped in those cabins for 3 hours. They must have been miserable. I'm sure no one wanted to try to use the cups to urinate in front of everyone either.
People relate the gondolas to the skyliner ride at the MK. It was only one short straight ride across the MK and it was fun. There's no way I would want to ride these. Too much can go wrong while you are many feet in the air. Just my thoughts. I'm sure there are those who love it and will have no problem riding it. That's fine.

I was looking forward to the experience until I read real time, firsthand accounts last night on Twitter and FB. Now it’s going to take months of problem-free running before I’ll take a chance. The videos of the views look amazing until you imagine being trapped up there for hours and hours.

POP is my favorite value resort and I was pretty excited about the new mode of transportation and anxious to try on my next trip. I read the various posters who always said no way! and others who claimed Disney knows what they are doing. I kind of fell in the middle.

However after seeing that picture of the crushed cars last night at the skyliner station and hearing about people in the air for hours after only a few days operational, I think I will steer clear. It just seems too soon for a problem like this. Suddenly the crowded buses seem ok to me.
Anyone else feel this way?
Nothing was CRUSHED. Your extreme description is uncalled for. If you choose not to ride, good for you

For next month, no we will not ride unless they’ve been running long enough without incident. I have my doubts, since we don’t know how long they will be down. My family is less concerned than I am, so we shall see.

In 2 years when we return, sure.

We actually experienced major issues on the 2nd day open, first day open everything was perfect, but issues like last night unfortunately may happen again, but even at that we aren’t opposed to riding the gondolas again, they are actually very nice and I even joked they are the quietest and most peaceful place on Disney property once they leave the stations lol!!!

Also they have been running these for months already so it isn’t like this past week was the first time they’ve been going, the monorails have been going since we all know when and still have issues and even when the new ones do arrive, I’m sure they will have issues also.........but we still ride them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing was CRUSHED. Your extreme description is uncalled for. If you choose not to ride, good for you

The person who was IN the gondola disagrees.

Ok... soooo... this is my wife and I last night...View attachment 441875

Let me start by saying this was our first time on the gondola. We had tacos and a bottle of Prosecco to celebrate our inaugural ride at the Caribbean Beach quick service. We got on at the skyliner at the Caribbean and were on our way to EPCOT. When we arrived at the Rivera we came to a stop. The system was down for a while... 5 to 10 minutes. While it was down our doors were open and a cast member was doing a Disney trivia game with each car. Then the system came back on line, our doors shut, and we moved forward... the blue car in front of us was NOT moving, so we crushed up into it and the car behind us crushed into us and the car behind that hit them and so on... you could hear the metal into metal scraping and the breaking of the plexiglass vents. The accident didn’t last long... but I remember sitting there and saying to my wife “I don’t think that was supposed to happen...” Security started going around asking if everyone was OK. A maintenance guy came over with a giant pole type tool, like a overgrown hanger pole they use at clothes stores to get up high. He did some jockeying of the blue car in front and we were freed up. The car swung around pretty hard and the noise was pretty harsh. My wife screamed. We noticed our doors were bent and weren’t shut all he way. There was definitely body damage to our car and several others, including broken vents. We were lucky that we were at the Rivera turnstile because our evacuation was swift! I don’t think we realized the extent of the accident until we saw pictures of our car on the news. So that being said the cars are pretty tough. I think it could of been worse, and we’re very lucky it wasn’t. Cast members were very calm and super nice. They offered us transportation, but we decided to walk back to our car.
I would like to add.. that the odds are so low that this would happen. I mean we can’t win the lottery! My wife and I have been talking about it all morning, it’s very bizarre. The weird thing is... is OUR car was the car that was crushed... the first car before the blue car that failed. Yet after they fixed the placements of the cars and we evacuated... no one from Disney approached us and all. Disney management doesn’t know we even exist... it kinda odd. Here we are watching videos from the local news and YouTube and we keep hearing “no one knows if the crushed cars had people inside”. Well we’re fine over here... thanks for asking!!!!
Even though we were in the accident, at least we weren’t stuck in the air! Hope everyone was ok!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter