Anyone else given up on the possibility of cruising

I would definitely consider it before my husband would but he may never come around. He was lukewarm on cruising before (germophobe) so we may just be done, sadly. Regardless I’m sure it will be 2-3 years.

We still have a cruise on the fantasy for early October. It’s a private Turner Classic movie cruise. We are hoping to go. And we are booked on the May 2021 eastbound transatlantic cruise on the Magic. I really have no qualms about being on a cruise ship at this point. It will be very clean and most people will be cautious. There’s no wAy DCL or any other cruise line could afford to take off all of 2021. We are also rebooked on an Africa cruise/land tour in March 2021 that cancelled this past March.

... It will be very clean and most people will be cautious....

I think that's the crux of the matter. I don't think most people will be cautious. Look at how many people refuse to wear masks now. It only takes one person to infect many.

That said, we are seriously considering a river cruise September of 2021, under the assumption that travel will settle on a new normal. That's about the earliest I'm comfortable doing any sort of cruising. Until then, it will be hiking and other less populated pursuits.

I have a Carnival Cruise booked for Jan 2-10. I still owe $1100 due October. I am cautiously waiting to PIF as I want to see what’s going to happen and not have all my money tied up. I have previously tried to cancel but I would lose the deposit of $297. Not really sure what to do at this point. We would like to go but don’t want to have a less than relaxing experience. If we rebook we will do Thanksgiving 2021, they also told me there would be a change fee of $50 pp($150) added to my totally balance even though the 2021 cruise is significantly more expensive. Would you just rebook now, cancel all together or wait to see what will happen? Dilemmas..

Last edited:

I have a Carnival Cruise booked for Jan 2-10. I still owe $1100 due October. I am cautiously waiting to PIF as I want to see what’s going to happen and now have all my money tied up. I have previously tried to cancel but I would lose the deposit of $297. Not really sure what to do at this point. We would like to go but don’t want to have a less than relaxing experience. If we rebook we will do Thanksgiving 2021, they also told me there would be a change fee of $50 pp($150) added to my totally balance even though the 2021 cruise is significantly more expensive. Would you just rebook now, cancel all together or wait to see what will happen? Dilemmas..
Id reassess about a week before the penalty goes from deposit only to something greater.

Someone from the FB group took screenshots and reached out that cruise line attorney. I don't want to share the link here, but all he ever posts about are how terrible cruise lines are. I suspect he, and possibly the person who shared the screenshots, was trying to organize a group to sue DCL.
I knew that attorney was trying to drum up business as usual. I just never heard of any accusations by cruisers of Disney not doing what they could to prevent any spread. Of course, they could have quarantined all of us in our rooms, but from what we all knew on the cruise was that there were no people who were in question of having it on the ship. The only thing that surprised me on that cruise was that Cabanas was self serve for the first few days. As soon as everything started getting crazy on land, they shut down self service items. Oh, and the usually “hands free” door to the deck outside of Cabanas was not working until the last couple days of the cruise. Even though we were confirmed to have it after receiving notification from Disney that people tested positive after the cruise, I never felt that Disney did less than what they should have to keep everything clean, and to protect all onboard.

Even though we were confirmed to have it after receiving notification from Disney that people tested positive after the cruise, I never felt that Disney did less than what they should have to keep everything clean, and to protect all onboard.
I completely agree. Everyone was operating from the information that was available at that time.

The death stats per year for flu and pneumonia onset from flu is in the thousands per year in the Quebec Province. From what I can see there is little middle ground and you're either in the camp of let's put everybody into unemployment poverty lockdown or you're in the camp of live your life understanding there is bad things in life and you cannot go around living in fear. I hear malaria is deadly, does that mean everyone in Africa locks themselves indoors? No, they do not. If anyone wants to personal message me via this board I would be more than happy to do the back and forth further off thread but I doubt anything will change minds so we can all agree to disagree rather that hijack this thread any further. People die and people will continue to die and although it is sad, almost everybody who gets COVID will not die. If people are not comfortable with cruising, then don't cruise and wait for your vaccine. The COVID-19 vaccine should work just long enough until COVID-20 comes along, just like how ineffective the flu vaccine is.
Totally agree!!

I’m growing so discouraged. I really, really want to be able to sail in November. We’re in CT and COVID got pretty bad here very quickly. We’re now starting to open up and our numbers look quite good. This upcoming trip is what got me through 3 months at home, when the news was rarely positive. Now that FL’s numbers are getting worse and worse, I don’t know how I can justify traveling there when we worked so hard to stay safe at home. I’m feeling so many different emotions, but at the end of the day, it’s one trip- not the end of the world. It’s just that it was the ever so small bright light at the end of the tunnel and it’s hard to give it up.

I’m growing so discouraged. I really, really want to be able to sail in November. We’re in CT and COVID got pretty bad here very quickly. We’re now starting to open up and our numbers look quite good. This upcoming trip is what got me through 3 months at home, when the news was rarely positive. Now that FL’s numbers are getting worse and worse, I don’t know how I can justify traveling there when we worked so hard to stay safe at home. I’m feeling so many different emotions, but at the end of the day, it’s one trip- not the end of the world. It’s just that it was the ever so small bright light at the end of the tunnel and it’s hard to give it up.

I know that feeling. I wish there was a little light-somewhere. Every time I think of planning a bit of time away, the numbers in that place, the self quarantines etc. Doesn't seem relaxing or worth it. Discouraged.

I had planned to do a WDW vacation in lieu of a Disney cruise if it was cancelled (which it now is) but that changed once all those new guidelines, new procedures and removed activities/experiences were announced. Now we see the FL numbers rising and I just don't think I'll be going anywhere at this point until this is really controlled.

We moved our September cruise to January but I am seriously questioning the January cruise going. There was an article on the WSJ this week about how the CDC is unwilling to even start talks with the cruise lines about coming back online. That isn't a very good sign.

We were cancelled off a European cruise this July & have rebooked for the 9 night Southern Caribbean on the Fantasy next August.

Watching developments with interest, but it the ship sails then we’ll do all we can to be on it.

I'm pretty pessimistic that cruises will return in 2020. Cruise ships are eating grounds for things like this and I don't think anyone is gonna be willing to budge. And even if they did return later this year, I wouldn't go. You'd have to wear a mask and a lot of the experiences would be limited. It's one thing to sacrifice those things on a domestic land trip to like the beach or Disney World, but if I'm gonna spend all that money on a cruise (esp. if you're with Disney), I'm gonna do it right. Plus if you're going to ports in different countries, the boarding process is going to be different, and it's impossible to know what the current covid situation is in those places. I just think it's too risky.

If I had to guess, cruises won't be back until 2021. And honestly that's the earliest I'm willing to take any sort of vacation. I've been going back and forth on a WDW trip in '21. Just have to let it play out I guess

I know the feeling. Everything we looked forward to this year, from a wedding in Italy to a reunion with old friends, was canceled and our October cruise likely will be too. I'm trying to plan something for the end of 2021, likely not a cruise, but I'll have a big birthday around then and it would be nice to have a celebration to look forward to.

We still have a cruise on the fantasy for early October. It’s a private Turner Classic movie cruise. We are hoping to go. And we are booked on the May 2021 eastbound transatlantic cruise on the Magic. I really have no qualms about being on a cruise ship at this point. It will be very clean and most people will be cautious. There’s no wAy DCL or any other cruise line could afford to take off all of 2021. We are also rebooked on an Africa cruise/land tour in March 2021 that cancelled this past March.
I really wanted to go on that one!! Love classic movies! And DCL of course! But wasnt going to take an (unpaid) week off by myself. Although doesn't that sounds nice. Hope to hear about it!

We were cancelled off a European cruise this July & have rebooked for the 9 night Southern Caribbean on the Fantasy next August.

Watching developments with interest, but it the ship sails then we’ll do all we can to be on it.
We also had Europe booked for this summer and are on the 9-day next year! I am keeping my fingers crossed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter