An Update on the Updates by TCD!!!

Donna, I'd love to hear your feedback about the tour! Maybe we'll tour week after next! :thumbsup2

I just checked out the pics...not exactly my taste either...but I think it would be cool for vacation!!

ok! i will report back with my thoughts/opinions. from the pictures, it's way too modern looking; of the DVC's, my favs are OKW, WLV and HH. I wish they'd make a DVC at the fort. wait, what am i SAYING, that would bring too many people over there, it's crowded already! but i DO wish they'd let us BUY a site with points!

TCD,i am loving this picture report of yours. I keep checking back to see what is up next. when do you leave? did you leave already? whatever happened to that bird? when is your next trip?

TCD,i am loving this picture report of yours. I keep checking back to see what is up next. when do you leave? did you leave already? whatever happened to that bird? when is your next trip?

As is often this case, this trip report has lasted longer than my actual trip. All of these photos are from my visit of October 3-6, 2008. The rest of the bird story is on page 6, post #80, above. It isn't that much of a story.

My next trip is two weeks from tomorrow (that's 15 days from today!). I'll just be finishing this TR by then ;).

TCD

We have already seen the first and third place winners for the TCD site decoration awards.

The winner (so far) is in the 700 loop, the third place recipient is in the 1900 loop. So where is the second place winner?

In the 300 loop, in site 303.

I am not sure if these people are in this site year round, but they have been there every time I have visited the Fort in 2008 (maybe they were away for the summer). They have been mentioned on these boards before. They are the ones with their own bronze site marker, complete with site number.

Anyway, they were working on their decorations last weekend:

FWPHOTOS040.jpg

FWPHOTOS041.jpg

FWPHOTOS042.jpg

This was enough to win them second place last weekend, and I don't think they are done decorating yet. I will check on them again on Halloween weekend, and give you an update.

TCD

Yes, they are there 12 mos. of the year and is a friend of mine. I will tell him he won second place, he'll be thrilled, lol. He even has a decorating crew to do it for him! I'm going over there this weekend to check it out in person.

As is often this case, this trip report has lasted longer than my actual trip. All of these photos are from my visit of October 3-6, 2008. The rest of the bird story is on page 6, post #80, above. It isn't that much of a story.

My next trip is two weeks from tomorrow (that's 15 days from today!). I'll just be finishing this TR by then ;).

TCD

I can't believe i missed that entire page along with pictures of mark's site 303!

when i saw the dump truck unloading that dirt, i was afraid to page down and see something white (aka the bird) in the dirt!

Yes, they are there 12 mos. of the year and are friends of mine. I will tell him he won second place, he'll be thrilled, lol. He even has a decorating crew to do it for him! I'm going over there saturday to check it out in person.

Really? All year? What is the story on these folks? Even at a reduced rate, I imagine this would cost them over $20K per year. Maybe not a bad way to spend your money, if you have a lot, but why do they do it?

Let them know that they still have a chance to move up to first place, as final judging will take place over Halloween weekend. Of course, I expect that there will be a lot more competitors by then.

TCD

Really? All year? What is the story on these folks? Even at a reduced rate, I imagine this would cost them over $20K per year. Maybe not a bad way to spend your money, if you have a lot, but why do they do it?

Let them know that they still have a chance to move up to first place, as final judging will take place over Halloween weekend. Of course, I expect that there will be a lot more competitors by then.

TCD

When you think about it, that's really not that bad. That's just under $2000 a month, that is your mortgage, utilities, cable, water, free transportation to over 47 square miles, a free movie every night, a swimming pool. Of course, they have the camper costs on top of that, but they would have that wherever they stayed.

TCD

Well he needs a place to escape to from the busy and hectic work week (FL resident). He knows he can go here and relax and get away from it all. He has caretakers and is well known to the fort people so even though he's not always there, someone is always keeping an eye on the place, watering the plants, etc., lights are on a timer. I think he renews it every 30 days. Who wouldn't do this IF they could; i know i would.
Heck of a nice guy too.

When you think about it, that's really not that bad. That's just under $2000 a month, that is your mortgage, utilities, cable, water, free transportation to over 47 square miles, a free movie every night, a swimming pool. Of course, they have the camper costs on top of that, but they would have that wherever they stayed.

You are right. It isn't really that bad, considering what a vacation home would cost in Florida (don't forget insurance and property taxes on top of the other things you mentioned).

Well he needs a place to escape to from the busy and hectic work week (FL resident). He knows he can go here and relax and get away from it all. He has caretakers and is well known to the fort people so even though he's not always there, someone is always keeping an eye on the place, watering the plants, etc., lights are on a timer. I think he renews it every 30 days. Who wouldn't do this IF they could; i know i would.
Heck of a nice guy too.

I'll have to say "hi" next time I'm there. I will respect this man's privacy, and not ask too much, but I am wondering if you know the general area of Florida where this man is from? There is a last name on the site marker, and I know some folks in my neck of the woods (Tampa Bay area) with the same last name, just wondering if there is any relation. If he needs someone with mad spy and counter-intelligence skills to keep an eye on things for him, I might know someone who could help out with that. ;)

TCD

You are right. It isn't really that bad, considering what a vacation home would cost in Florida (don't forget insurance and property taxes on top of the other things you mentioned).

I'll have to say "hi" next time I'm there. I will respect this man's privacy, and not ask too much, but I am wondering if you know the general area of Florida where this man is from? There is a last name on the site marker, and I know some folks in my neck of the woods (Tampa Bay area) with the same last name, just wondering if there is any relation. If he needs someone with mad spy and counter-intelligence skills to keep an eye on things for him, I might know someone who could help out with that. ;)

TCD

Sending you a PM; thanks for respecting his privacy on the boards.

Even at a reduced rate, I imagine this would cost them over $20K per year. Maybe not a bad way to spend your money...

I ran a spreadsheet to do the calculations and it comes to right about $26,000 per year for a preferred site and paying full advertised rate (taking into account seasons, weekend vs weekday rates, but estimating the Holiday upcahrges... too much work!). So yeah, right at $500 per week on average (or $2,166 per month). Now, if I could just find a way to rake in 2166 per month while sitting on my kiester! LOL

The Mickey and Minnie light on site 303, does anyone know how they are made. I been trying to find a place to buy them and realized that they must be made. So I went to Michaels yesterday to get supplies for our trip coming up and I am going to try and make someting that looks like them, but couldn't find the same hoops.

The Mickey and Minnie light on site 303, does anyone know how they are made. I been trying to find a place to buy them and realized that they must be made. So I went to Michaels yesterday to get supplies for our trip coming up and I am going to try and make someting that looks like them, but couldn't find the same hoops.

are you talking about the big round ones made from light rope? i will try to find out for you.:goodvibes

yes those are the ones I mean. We are going next week and I have been wanting to make them for a long time. The supplies I got at Michaels might come out nice (different than all the others I have seen). But I really like those. Thanks for trying to find out

In case you didn't know it, Florida is considered an battleground state for the upcoming Presidential election. In the past couple of weeks, Obama had a big rally right here in my hometown, and on Monday, Palin made an appearance in the town right next door.

The candidates are everywhere!

So, it really wasn't that big of a surprise when Barack himself stopped by our loop on this past Saturday for a visit. I think he and his family had a pop-up set up over on the 1500 loop.

You think I'm lying?

Would a photo or two convince you?

Here you go:

FW10308129.jpg

While we are looking at this photo, may I point out to you the skeleton lights displayed on the front part of the roof? They flash different colors, and play music, and run on two AA batteries. $9.99 at the local Walgreen's. There have been some questions on these boards about golf cart lights. These worked great! Also, please notice the cigarette dangling from Barack's mouth. That is a tribute to our friend Gator Dad.

OK, so where were we? Oh yes, Barack stopped by for a visit. He asked if he could take the cart our for a spin so he could cover some more ground. I said I guess that would be OK. Before you know it he was off!

TCD

I am honored to be thought of in one of your reports!

I am honored to be thought of in one of your reports!

What, are you kidding me? You are the grand Pooh-Bah on this Board!

I chuckle every time I see that Obama photo in your signature line!

TCD

OK, if you are still reading this trip report, I have a little reward for you.

You know from my post above that I was trying to figure out where the Headless Horseman might keep his horse in between scaring carriage riders.

What if I told you that there is a way for you to get a peak at the Headless Horseman without dropping $60 for a Haunted Carriage Ride, or $50 for tickets to MNSSHP?

First, promise me that you will not abuse this information. This is for us camping board members only.

So, where does the Headless Horseman hang out between the carriage rides?

I wonder what this temporary horse stable is doing behind the Settlement Trading Post?

FW10308267.jpg

FW10308269.jpg

That isn't usually there. Hmmmmmmm. :confused3 :scratchin :rolleyes1

And, if you happen to be sitting on the porch of Crockett's Tavern at just after sun down, and you see two figures dressed totally in black, casually walking by with a huge horse toward the Settlement Trading Post, you might start to wonder exactly what is going on here:

FW10308310-1.jpg

If you hang out right in the area of the sidewalk that goes into the 100 loop from the Settlement area, you might see some shadowy figures lurking around behind the Trading Post:

FW10308323-1-1.jpg

FW10308324-1.jpg

On second thought, I am not going to tell you where you might see the Headless Horseman for free. You will have to figure that out on your own. ;)

TCD

:woohoo: I think I know just where to take dd9 to tell her all about the Legend of Sleepy Hollow! ;) man, this is going to be a great trip!

I always worry that I will visit the Fort and not have something interesting to report back to my Disboard friends. Fortunately, it hasn't happened yet, and it did not happen on this trip . . .

On Monday morning, October 6, I was out for my morning patrol, and I came across a crew doing something to the 900/1000 loop bus stop.

Here is what I saw:

FW10308006.jpg

A closer look:

FW10308007.jpg

It was early in the morning. I would say about 7:15. It wasn't quite as dark out as these photos make it look, but the sun was barely up. What are these guys doing to the bus stop so early in the morning?

Here are some photos taken just a little later, when the sun was a bit higher in the sky:

FW10308009.jpg

FW10308010.jpg

What is this all about?

Are they decorating for Halloween?

Are they making the bus stops into screen rooms?

Wouldn't you like to know?

Well, have I ever left you hanging?

These guys were installing netting around this bus stop as a part of a pest control effort. This bus stop is infested with bats! These bats are an endangered species, so this exclusion technique is used to allow the bats to leave at night, but not return. They will have to find another place to live, but they are not harmed. I got this info from a castmember who was there supervising the whole operation.

Angry homeless bats roaming the Fort looking for a place to roost! :scared1:

Just in time for Halloween!

TCD

YES I have to add that when we were there in Sept we were waiting at that bus stop and it started to get dark first only one came out then 3 then like 8 then like 15 it was unbeleivable I have never seen soooo many bats come out like that it was neverending pretty cool though :) I wonder if they are doing all the bus stops but that explains why they were doing it in the dark can you imagine when its time to go back in :scared1: :eek: I sure would not want to be on that ladder thats for sure:laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter