An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm personally glad that more people than ever came to see the shiny new things at WDW. I doubt that most travelers visit the parks that often so it's good that more of the public learns about Disney pricing and crowds. If most are ok with all of that then so be it but I'm not convinced that the general public will be ok in the long run.

Besides there is no way that most people are bottomless pits of money. I see that statistics are being thrown around but it's also true that credit card debt is skyrocketing once again. Maybe a lot of people are paying for luxuries such as Disney trips in that manner. If so that isn't sustainable.

I'm personally glad that more people than ever came to see the shiny new things at WDW. I doubt that most travelers visit the parks that often so it's good that more of the public learns about Disney pricing and crowds. If most are ok with all of that then so be it but I'm not convinced that the general public will be ok in the long run.

Besides there is no way that most people are bottomless pits of money. I see that statistics are being thrown around but it's also true that credit card debt is skyrocketing once again. Maybe a lot of people are paying for luxuries such as Disney trips in that manner. If so that isn't sustainable.

Lots of new expensive additions completed in the last couple years with a handful of new rides. I am financially conservative by nature and profession. I think the costs of a Disney vacation have risen too quick. I remember not so long ago when the stock market and economic sank. DVC foreclosures were fast and furious. The DVC resale prices dipped to less than half of what some resale purchasers paid for earlier. Easily could happen again. That was when Disney started converting unused CRO rooms to DVC as mentioned above. I am not a doomsday person but as someone closing in on retirement, I dread the impact of sinking equities. I am very diversified. And wary.​

Last edited:
Edit #3 on the original post has been put up. Thanks to pattyw for sharing the comment we all agree describes this policy to a T.

Welcome Home.

Edit #3 on the original post has been put up. Thanks to pattyw for sharing the comment we all agree describes this policy to a T.

Welcome Home.

Ok. Now you're getting me to get behind this a bit more. If the approach is "Look, I don't like this, but I also know it's not going away. Now how can we make this work within my schedule?" I would be happy to be part of a mass letter, survey, etc.
It would be wonderful if we could just call down and say DND for the next 3 hours or something along those lines. Pretty much any awful things aren't going to happen over the course of 3 hours during the afternoon, and Disney can still proceed with their security theater.

It's outrageous that anyone needs to organize a staff meeting just to have an undisturbed nap in a hotel on vacation. Disney's "solution" is offensive to me.

I think I found the original post!!
@Jen1995 I requoted your post because it is the best summation of the absurdity of this policy. I wanted to find your post to credit you!

I think I found the original post!!
@Jen1995 I requoted your post because it is the best summation of the absurdity of this policy. I wanted to find your post to credit you!

I hate to be picky but can you tell me if Jen1995 said this in this thread or some other one? Also, can you share the post number please? I will be referring this on the original post.

Welcome Home!

Well, not to be picky, but I am sure not everyone agrees. I don't.

Allison:

I can not take credit for the following words. I believe @Jen1995 said the following:

"It will affect my stay because now I have to sit and wonder when, if at all, I will hear someone banging on my door demanding entry. Hard to relax while you are sitting there wondering if you will be awakened 5 minutes after you drift off to sleep. So unless Disney announces a change, I don't need a crystal ball to know that yes, this will negatively impact my vacation whether or not someone bangs on the door. Remember the Dread Pirate Roberts from Princess Bride? "Good night Wesley, I'll most likely kill you in the morning." The joke is that of course he is going to stress Wesley out even though the Dread Pirate Roberts never killed him. So Disney saying "We will maybe bang on your door while you are in the bath and scare the dickens out of you, and then call incessantly until you get your butt out of the bath and open the door" no one is going to have a very relaxing bath, whether or not Disney ends up doing anything during that particular trip"

If that is not on your radar then, Allison, we have two entirely different value systems. I don't want to even worry about when OR if Disney will want to inspect my room. I want my privacy. Period. I personally believe most people would. The reason I sign off of every one of my posts with the words "Welcome Home" is because Disney wants you to feel at home when you are staying with them. Trust me, this new policy does not make me feel even remotely comfortable as when I am home. So, I am merely reminding Disney of their DVC slogan and how they are damaging it with this new policy.

Welcome Home!

Lots of new expensive additions completed in the last couple years with a handful of new rides. I am financially conservative by nature and profession. I think the costs of a Disney vacation have risen too quick. I remember not so long ago when the stock market and economic sank. DVC foreclosures were fast and furious. The DVC resale prices dipped to less than half of what some resale purchasers paid for earlier. Easily could happen again. That was when Disney started converting unused CRO rooms to DVC as mentioned above. I am not a doomsday person but as someone closing in on retirement, I dread the impact of sinking equities. I am very diversified. And wary.​
I so don't want to think about the cost differences between my 2011 trip and my 2017 trip :scared: and I don't even want to think about the next trip double :scared::scared:.

Gang, please be careful what you say. I said nothing, absolutely nothing about intelligence, or being hysterical or not. Please read carefully:

I said "we have two entirely different value systems." Nothing else. I implied nothing else. Sheesh.

Welcome Home!

OK, guys - I've left this thread open because I wanted to have a place for people to ask questions on the new policy, and this thread was the least contentious of the bunch. I'm willing to leave it open if the arguing stops. If not...well, someone else will start a thread with a question on room checks one of these days.

I also want to remind everyone that there's one set of standards for what can be posted on a thread: the DISboards guidelines. Within that set of rules, all opinions are welcome on all threads, and all posters are to be treated respectfully.

As you can see from my post just before yours Lynne, I too agree with you that these comments went too far. And I said so. I am trying to self police so you do not have reason to shut this thread down. I hope you appreciate that. I believe the information and comments have, generally, been thought provoking and well thought out. I hope a couple of bad seeds do not justify shutting down this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter