An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have been reading and participating in with this thread, it sounds like there are three big camps of people, with a full spectrum falling between those three groups.
1. No way am I going to tolerate this policy.
2. I get it, but don't like it, and hope it improves.
3. It doesn't bother me whatsoever.

None of the three groups is more right or wrong than the others. I personally fall into the second because I am a mapper, as are my children. I can completely understand the viewpoints of the other two as well, though. I am not sure how much discussion this when there are such different viewpoints will benefit us all, but it is also interesting to participate in this conversation.

From what I have been reading and participating in with this thread, it sounds like there are three big camps of people, with a full spectrum falling between those three groups.

None of the three groups is more right or wrong than the others. I personally fall into the second because I am a mapper, as are my children. I can completely understand the viewpoints of the other two as well, though. I am not sure how much discussion this when there are such different viewpoints will benefit us all, but it is also interesting to participate in this conversation.
Yes, I agree.

I also don't like this policy but I understand that others don't mind it. No one is wrong or right. Whether this is seen as differing values or opinions or whatever, the question is still how best to handle this for those who don't like it. At least that's why I read the thread.

Gang, please be careful what you say. I said nothing, absolutely nothing about intelligence, or being hysterical or not. Please read carefully:

I said "we have two entirely different value systems." Nothing else. I implied nothing else. Sheesh.

Welcome Home!

I read that post perfectly. What you said was clear. It was insulting. And does nothing to further your position.

I want to add that I think no one has said anyone was an idiot for being upset about the room checks. I have even said that I wouldn't be thrilled if I was in my room with a migraine and they came knocking. I'm not over the moon thrilled with the room checks, but they don't bother me. That is my opinion. You may have a different opinion, which is fine. But it is not fine to strongly imply that someone lacks values if they don't hold the same opinion as you.

We should be able to discuss this matter in a civil manner. People who are bothered AND people who are not bothered.

Edit #3 on the original post has been put up. Thanks to pattyw for sharing the comment we all agree describes this policy to a T.

Welcome Home.

I am curious as to what you are trying to accomplish by updating the 1st post? Since you only update it with views that are consistent with yours, is it to give any newcomers the appearance that all 49 (as of this post) pages of this thread have come to a consensus?

I want to add that I think no one has said anyone was an idiot for being upset about the room checks. I have even said that I wouldn't be thrilled if I was in my room with a migraine and they came knocking. I'm not over the moon thrilled with the room checks, but they don't bother me. That is my opinion. You may have a different opinion, which is fine. But it is not fine to strongly imply that someone lacks values if they don't hold the same opinion as you.

We should be able to discuss this matter in a civil manner. People who are bothered AND people who are not bothered.
I don't see how saying someone has different values means that someone lacks values. I must be missing that somehow.

I hope that this thread isn't closed.

I don't see how saying someone has different values means that someone lacks values. I must be missing that somehow.

Seriously? That whole post was an insult. Pretty much "You don't think the way I do, so you lack values". And I know I am not the only one who reads it that way.

He may as well have added "Bless your heart".:rolleyes:

I read the comment as some people place high value in not having to worry about potential disruptions and others place high value in not letting things that may or may not happen worry them. There's nothing wrong with either position. Different people think different ways. I really don't think he was trying to insult anyone. I would like to see this thread remain open and like that people on both sides post on here as it helps us all to understand how each side feels.

I think that the word values means different things to different folks and therefore the reactions.

Values means ...

"the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something"

"a person's principles or standards of behavior; one's judgment of what is important in life"

It is what someone holds important to themselves, and I think OP was stating that what is important to him is not the same as what is important to someone else. Each person makes decisions on their choices based on what they value in all aspects of life. While we may not understand someone else's values, we need to just worry about our own and what impacts our lives.

I don't think anyone can lack values; we all hold a value to everything in our life.

I think that is close to how I would put it ..... I guess I would be falling in between. I think when folks say they "get it" is where I don't fit. Disney's problem is not my problem (I don't believe this has to do with Las Vegas) and I wish they would implement processes that could actually address the problem. So I get what Disney's problem is, but I don't like that I am being punished for it. I do hope it improves because I'd like to stay at Disney again. I experienced this in January, it was a negative experience so my April trip was moved offsite. I have a summer trip booked offsite. I had booked offsite in Sept, switched to POP, but think I will move it back offsite. I am having a hard time finding "value" in a Disney resort particularly since I feel like they don't value me with the new policy.

Last edited:
I think when folks say they "get it" is where I don't fit. Disney's problem is not my problem (I don't believe this has to do with Las Vega) and I wish they would implement processes that could actually address the problem. So I get what Disney's problem is, but I don't like that I am being punished for it. I do hope it improves because I'd like to stay at Disney again.

Even though I stated that I fall into group 2, I actually think I side with your viewpoint. When I say "I get it", I mean "I submit to it". I don't think those room checks will make much of a difference in anything, and they are a major inconvenience. Unfortunately, like taking our shoes off at the airport, once one "safety" measure is put into place, it is really hard to remove it, even if it is way more inconvenient than it is useful. I would love for this to go away, but would also be willing to settle for a major improvement in its implementation before I decide that Disney is no longer for me.

Last edited:
Even though I stated that I fall into group 2, I actually think I side with your viewpoint. When I say "I get it", I mean "I submit to it". I don't think those room checks will make much of a difference in anything, and they are a major inconvenience. Unfortunately, like taking our shoes off at the airport, once one "safety" measure is put into place, it is really hard to remove it, even if it is way more inconvenient than it is useful. I would love for this to go away, but would also be willing to settle for a major improvement in its implementation before I decide that Disney is no longer for me.

I'm not done with Disney but I may be done with their hotels, as my signature says, over 135 onsite stays. :sad1: My experience in January was not good. My trip in April offsite was met with legit DND sign and a note to use it and they will not bother me. I had no one stalk me like Disney, or bother me in my hours in the hotel room - every day.

I understand they are likely under great pressure to address issues, but I just wish Disney would do something that would actually be effective in solving their problem. But it's all good, at least offsite I feel good about what I am getting for my money.

Last edited:
Why can't this just be a conversation where people can dismiss and disagree?
If disagree is the opposite of agree, why isn't discuss the opposite of cuss?

Now, back to our regular programming:
and I wish they would implement processes that could actually address the problem.
I would love for this to go away, but would also be willing to settle for a major improvement in its implementation before I decide that Disney is no longer for me.

Very seriously, what would you each (and others) suggest. Be realistic. They're not going to abandon the procedure.

If disagree is the opposite of agree, why isn't discuss the opposite of cuss?

Now, back to our regular programming:

Very seriously, what would you each (and others) suggest. Be realistic. They're not going to abandon the procedure.

They could consult their counterparts at the other hotels that are handling things differently, swandolphin for instance, and I believe some said the universal hotels. I personally am not sure what the overall strategy is at the other non-Disney hotels but it doesn’t appear to be knocking or entering daily including sometimes after you first arrive when DND/RO signs are up.

Disney seems to me to be trying to up their security game for whatever their reasons are by mostly using what’s already in place, housekeeping, as the first line on this but not deviating from how they already do their HK rounds. Let’s get by with the least expensive approach and see if we can get by with that. Throw the spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks kind of thing. To me it’s not really a new strategy, it’s piggy packing housekeeping. Then and only then, if they can’t get in the room, start calling and send the “security” patrols in. Just my opinion and YRMV.

I believe several here have said installing more cameras at resorts and improve the monitoring system. We have cameras all over our neighborhood, and on our property. It’s amazing what gets noticed, reported on to other neighbors and acted upon. Daily. Hourly.

They could consult their counterparts at the other hotels that are handling things differently, swandolphin for instance, and I believe some said the universal hotels. I personally am not sure what the overall strategy is at the other non-Disney hotels but it doesn’t appear to be knocking or entering daily including sometimes after you first arrive when DND/RO signs are up.

Disney seems to me to be trying to up their security game for whatever their reasons are by mostly using what’s already in place, housekeeping, as the first line on this but not deviating from how they already do their HK rounds. Let’s get by with the least expensive approach and see if we can get by with that. Throw the spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks kind of thing. To me it’s not really a new strategy, it’s piggy packing housekeeping. Then and only then, if they can’t get in the room, start calling and send the “security” patrols in. Just my opinion and YRMV.

I believe several here have said installing more cameras at resorts and improve the monitoring system. We have cameras all over our neighborhood, and on our property. It’s amazing what gets noticed, reported on to other neighbors and acted upon. Daily. Hourly.

I think they are using housekeeping for the check to keep the interruptions to a minimum. Who here would rather have 2 knocks on the door instead of 1? Not me. I'd much rather they not send security around in addition to housekeeping.

And who here knows how many cameras are in place at the resorts? Who here can say they don't already have that part of security in place? I'm betting not a single poster can say they know exactly what sort of security measures Disney has in place.

Sorry, just offering my suggestions. Just a bunch of guesses for all of us, right?

I just really liked how swandolphin handled it. Really. Liked.

Again just my opinion.

I'm sorry if I came across as giving you a smack down, that wasn't my intent! I just think it is easy to sit on a message board and say Disney should do this, or Disney shouldn't do that. But none of us know what they really are doing.

I've always assumed unless I'm in my room I'm on camera. That seems to be the one thing they have in abundance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter