An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Included in the perfectly legit responses to this thread are threats to leave. Why describe them as a waste of breath?

If it is truly just a threat unless Disney changes something, nothing will change as a result of them. Hence, a threat that serves no purpose, or a "waste of breath".

Like I pointed out earlier, I loved your approach to this situation and look forward to trying it out myself. Without this discussion, that would not have been brought to my attention.

I thought the suggestions from the DVC rep were worth sharing. Even though she herself sounded a bit doubtful, thus her suggestion to obtain the names of the managers you talk face to face to about timing of room checks.

Definitely a strategy though.

If it is truly just a threat unless Disney changes something, nothing will change as a result of them. Hence, a threat that serves no purpose, or a "waste of breath".

I agree Disney may change nothing, and I really have doubts about the strategy I outlined. Others are reporting elsewhere it isn’t working.
So I guess all the discussion here may be fruitless, probably many DIS threads, doesn’t mean in my view that it’s all a waste of breath.

I agree Disney may change nothing, and I really have doubts about the strategy I outlined. Others are reporting elsewhere it isn’t working.
So I guess all the discussion here may be fruitless, probably many DIS threads, doesn’t mean in my view that it’s all a waste of breath.

Yep- haven't much faith in what the CM's tell us. And to quote another poster about this subject-

It's a shame you have to organize a staff meeting for an afternoon nap!

With over

Haha between us there have been over 8000 messages. I am pretty sure at least 1000 of mine have just been words that were lost in the wind. I am not at all trying to shut down conversation, please don't take my comments that way. I just wanted to point out that collecting responses from 20 people about a topic we have no control over isn't going to lead to much of a response from Disney, not that they are not allowed to do it or to tell them to stop.

Ben E N:

Anyone in the top management of Fortune 500 companies have, in the past, known that during the beginning portions of a poll each vote represented early readings. One top manager once told me that a single vote would be representative of 100 times or more for each single vote. So, while you have the edge on the precise count, what that count represents is way more important than what you give it credit for.

Welcome Home!

This begs the question.... Are there any reports of guests having their day disturbed by the trash service since the policy was implemented?

(Maybe I should ask on the DVC board?)

I do not think it has anything to do with trash. I read of two separate accounts where a husband and wife were getting it on and after one or two knocks, they went in anyway. Those were not DVC rooms, however.
But still, your room should be private during that time you are in there showering or undressed for any reason.
I cannot confirm that really happened; just what I read.

On another note, when we were there in April, we were horrified by a sign on a door. I went to fill up our mugs with coffee and somebody put a sign on a door that said, "we are in here (profanity) so don't come in".
When we came back down the hall to our room there were 2 (I assume by attire) managers and the piece of paper balled up in one of the guys hands. Glad my daughter was not with me to see that.

It’s all good. Definitely not trying to marginalize anyone’s post. I just thought the one about organizing a staff meeting hilarious.

Ben E N:

Anyone in the top management of Fortune 500 companies have, in the past, known that during the beginning portions of a poll each vote represented early readings. One top manager once told me that a single vote would be representative of 100 times or more for each single vote. So, while you have the edge on the precise count, what that count represents is way more important than what you give it credit for.

Welcome Home!

I think typically we on the Dis think we have more impact than we do. We are still only a small small part of the group of people that visit WDW. People venting on a message board don't have as much impact as customers that take the time to write/email/call whatever company they have issue with.

Well, the data I am looking at is actual park numbers, not anecdotal responses from individuals. I am sure Disney cares about each individual to some degree, but when there are tens of millions of people visiting their parks every year, they have to look at the larger picture. Here is a recent report about their attendance numbers, compared to Universal's.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/05/19/disney-worlds-top-rival-is-losing-momentum.aspx

Here is the most significant paragraph taken from it, posted on May 19th.

"There's a disruption in the narrative of the theme park war that's been brewing for decades in Central Florida. Comcast's (NASDAQ:CMCSA) Universal Orlando had been gaining ground on Disney (NYSE:DIS) in Florida, closing the attendance gap every year since the game-changing debut of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in 2010.

Comcast's streak came to an end in 2017. Neither company releases annual attendance data across its parks, but industry watcher Themed Entertainment Association does. Its annual global attendance report was released on Thursday, and it shows that Universal Orlando grew its turnstile clicks by just 2% to 19.747 million last year. Combined attendance at Disney World's four theme parks rose 4% to hit 55.872 million visitors."

So with all the 'terrible' things Disney is doing, attendance grew there at double the rate of Universal.
I'm not cheering for these changes to take place - I dislike them just as much as the next person. I am just trying to be practical in my approach to them. We all have the choice to stop going to Disney, but the threat of our doing so means not to much to them when they took in 2.25 million new visitors last year alone.
Do keep in mind in 2017 Pandora opened at Disney. I would expect a bump this year with Toy Story land and then a larger one with Star Wars. People do like new shiny things.

Universal is on the verge of opening another whole new park. Nintendo is supposed to come to Orlando and Jurassic World as well.

Do also keep in mind that in 2016 all 4 parks had a drop in attendance and in that same time period Universal's IOA attendance grew by 6.5% and Universal's Studios attendance grew by 4.3%. Universal Hollywood, which opened Harry Potter there in 2016, attendance grew by 13.9%.

Regardless I think people's points are just that it's a cautionary tale. The Recession changed quite a lot on how we spend our money. One of the first things people did when the recession started was cut out vacations and unnecessary travel not only due to gasoline costs but costs up all over. Wariness over gasoline costs and reliance on it spurned vehicles not reliant on gasoline, etc. Heck when we were building our house in 2013 our area was still recovering labor-wise from the Recession as when the housing market went some home builders and laborers left our area and never returned. Now we're in a housing boom in our area with lots of new homes being built.

Both companies have to take care that they keep themselves in check. I don't think either company will fail when it comes to another Recession but who will be better prepared with their clientele I'm more concerned that Disney is pushing the envelope way further in recent years.

Do keep in mind in 2017 Pandora opened at Disney. I would expect a bump this year with Toy Story land and then a larger one with Star Wars. People do like new shiny things.

Universal is on the verge of opening another whole new park. Nintendo is supposed to come to Orlando and Jurassic World as well.

Do also keep in mind that in 2016 all 4 parks had a drop in attendance and in that same time period Universal's IOA attendance grew by 6.5% and Universal's Studios attendance grew by 4.3%. Universal Hollywood, which opened Harry Potter there in 2016, attendance grew by 13.9%.

Regardless I think people's points are just that it's a cautionary tale. The Recession changed quite a lot on how we spend our money. One of the first things people did when the recession started was cut out vacations and unnecessary travel not only due to gasoline costs but costs up all over. Wariness over gasoline costs and reliance on it spurned vehicles not reliant on gasoline, etc. Heck when we were building our house in 2013 our area was still recovering labor-wise from the Recession as when the housing market went some home builders and laborers left our area and never returned. Now we're in a housing boom in our area with lots of new homes being built.

Both companies have to take care that they keep themselves in check. I don't think either company will fail when it comes to another Recession but who will be better prepared with their clientele I'm more concerned that Disney is pushing the envelope way further in recent years.

Good points. I think people will continue to be drawn to these parks due to new shiny things than they will be driven away by moves like room checks, but that is entirely opinion on my part. There are obviously tons of moving parts involved in how these parks operate, and it is fun to take a look at them and see how they break down.

Ben E N:

Welcome Home!

I'm just trying to point out that this move was not made to increase customer satisfaction, so the happiness of 20, or even 20,000 people, really isn't going to have any impact on their decision.
I think the feedback that we should be collecting and passing on is more of what snappy is bringing up, and that is how to make this less painful for all involved.
I get where Disney is coming from with these room checks. Personally, I think it is more security theater than it is actually looking out for our best interests, but I understand from a PR standpoint why they are doing it. I do not like the idea of being woken up from a nap, though, and would love to find a way to work with them as they implement this new policy instead of telling them "I don't like it", as that will not garner much of a response.

Good points. I think people will continue to be drawn to these parks due to new shiny things than they will be driven away by moves like room checks, but that is entirely opinion on my part. There are obviously tons of moving parts involved in how these parks operate, and it is fun to take a look at them and see how they break down.
For some they have migrated away from Disney due to the room checks-some for good and some just for a break- but the room checks to me personally would be more an opt to not stay onsite if looking at generalities.

All the other things-the upcharges, the crowds (which even during slow times the wait times have been shown to be pushed up higher directly due to Disney staffing levels on purpose), the costs, the specialty viewings, etc they all can sorta combine to push people to not come back with any one thing even the room checks can just push people to their own personal breaking point. These are the type of things that concern me in regards to overall viewpoint should another Recession happen.

I do agree it's interesting to look at it.

There may be some visitors that would pay inflated Park prices simply to reduce attendance, I personally never met them.

I really doubt there are tons of people who went to Disney and demanded that they charge more money to keep others out, but you see it being done in many places across the country and world, with positive feedback.

This can be seen, partially, in the success of Disney After Hours and similar events. Thousands of people paying $120 or so for 3 hours in a much less crowded Magic Kingdom. It was limited to spring for the last couple of years, but now they have released even more dates.

Concerning the "Success" of the Up-Sell events:

Keep in mind that Disney used to have MORE Extra Magic Hours (EMH) for resort guests. These were stripped away and brought back as up-charge events. Resort EMH used to clear out the crowds and free up the rides for resort guests. Now guests are paying a premium to stay on (or in some cases near) property with fewer perks and higher prices.

At some point more and more people are going to be forced to do the math and decide that a Disney vacation is an over priced affair. Return guests are doing the math and deciding if Disney is worth the high cost, especially when compared to how much more you get at other vacation spots.

When you have a pricing model where more and more of your offerings are being stratified as up-sells, that strategy tends to hit a wall with your customers and there is push back. I'm betting that the "success" of the EMH up-sell is only being added on to the bill that a brand pays when there are an accumulation of multiple negatives experienced by customers.

Again I feel that this is a short term, pump up the stock price, erosion of brand quality for short term gain, under the current park leadership. As much as we all love Disney, the company must struggle to remain relevant with consumers. I view these up-sells and price gouging and reduced/poor quality customer service as only a short term financial "success" that is actually a negative that will drive customers away from the Disney Brand, long term.

Keep in mind that if the parks are too crowded all Disney has to do is limit the number of people having access with block out dates and phased park closings like they do for holidays. The fact that guests paid full price for tickets during the first couple of months of the year and had to deal with reduced staffing and partial closure of rides is another cheap shot that park leadership took to pump up the stock price. Of course this move was also intended to create an artificial need for after hours paid events and higher ticket prices in an effort to abate the artificially created long lines and "over crowding". These are the kind of cheesy moves that customers catch on to. No one likes to be played for as a sucker and Disney is in dangerous territory if they think that guests won't catch on in this age of social media.

So in my opinion EMH success is relevant, especially when you are burning your customers with your success.

~NM

Concerning the "Success" of the Up-Sell events:

Keep in mind that Disney used to have MORE Extra Magic Hours (EMH) for resort guests. These were stripped away and brought back as up-charge events. Resort EMH used to clear out the crowds and free up the rides for resort guests. Now guests are paying a premium to stay on (or in some cases near) property with fewer perks and higher prices.

~NM

What I remember is people posting how wonderful EMH was, because so few people were in the park. Doesn't take a genius to know that spending money to run a park when few people are in it is bad business. And there have been a few upsells that didn't work, such as the Pirates and Princess parties. If Disney can bring in more money by offering something that guests are happy to buy, I have no problem with it.

Yep- haven't much faith in what the CM's tell us. And to quote another poster about this subject-

It's a shame you have to organize a staff meeting for an afternoon nap!

That line is priceless. Anyone know who came up with it? As we are already over 900 posts, I am going to add very small additions to the original post to give people an idea of what is going on in the thread. I would, therefore, like to give credit to who said this line when I quote them. Please include post number please.

Yes, that had to be the best comment on this entire thread!

That line is priceless. Anyone know who came up with it? As we are already over 900 posts, I am going to add very small additions to the original post to give people an idea of what is going on in the thread. I would, therefore, like to give credit to who said this line when I quote them. Please include post number please.

Thx- I wasn't sure which thread I read that post. I would give credit to that poster if I knew where to find it. I thought her post was the best I have read anywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter