Accident at Disneyland Paris

First I wish the boy all the best and that he will get well soon. :hug: But what you have said is right. We as parents have the duty to have a look at our children and to take care of them. We always put our two daughters in the middle of us and told them to remain seated at all times until we tell them to get out. Its hard to judge about the accident when you are not there and as we all know kids could be very impulsive but the parents must keep an eye on them. In the past I saw a lot of people who stand up to switch places inside these boats for a better photo opportunity. :scared1: not only in POTC....even in IASW :scared1: This accident....as horrible as it is and again I wish the boy and his family all the best .... is not Disneys fault. It starts with smoking and rude behaviour inside the waiting lines and it could end in an accident when you and/or your children will not follow the rules.

I totally agree with you!

We have seen kids standing up on rides and it frightens me. Our DD is sat in the middle or on our laps with our arms tight round her. Of course she would love to stand on some rides to get a better view but I won't let her.

If rides like splash mountain don't need restraints something like POTC certainly doesn't.

As we do not know the facts on this little boys accident, I'm not assuming the parents were at fault and not watching their child. But having been on POTC many times, I find it difficult to understand how this could happen without the child standing up on the seat (as he was only 5, he wouldn't be very tall)

Many, many times when we've been on POTC, Le Pays des Contes de Fées or Small World, Cast Members have had to order children to sit down on the boats. Usually, the parents just sit there and ignore the advice. On our most recent visit, while on Small World, there was an English speaking family, and their children were constantly mis-behaving on our boat...putting their hands in the water, trying to reach across to the displays, then while waiting to disembark, they were standing up. Fair play to the Cast Members, they told & told them to sit down, trying a few different languages. Eventually, the CM, practically screamed at them in English (AGAIN) to sit down, and they finally did!!

Rules are there for reasons, and as I say, we do not know if this child was standing up, but it should be a reminder to parents who DO let their children flaunt the rules, that there can be VERY serious consequences.

I've been reading the reports in the press today about the accident and this one from the Telegraph gives the best account so far.

Boy 'fighting for life' after accident at Disneyland Paris

Five-year old boy was seriously injured when he was crushed by a boat after falling out of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride

A five-year old boy was “in a critical condition” after an accident at Disneyland Paris — Europe’s top tourist attraction.

Police said the boy, from Montpellier, southern France, and whose first name is Iban, was “fighting for his life” at the Necker children’s hospital in Paris.

The accident occurred when the child fell out of a boat in the amusement park’s Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.

Anna Chazareix, the officer in charge of the investigation, said the boy, "accompanied by his father, lost his balance when the boat was arriving at the end of the ride".

He "fell and found himself stuck under the boat" in the water, she added, before his father and others pulled him out.

The dark ride takes visitors through a battle-scarred fortress, a dungeon and out into a “Blue Lagoon”. It is a slow-moving ride that does not require wearing safety belts.

During the ride, the boy leaned back and somehow fell out of his boat and was hit by another just behind. The child’s father immediately jumped out to recover him, but not quick enough to prevent the accident.

“He was stuck between the platform, with his chest compressed, and the boat,” said commander Fabrice Delin of the Codis emergency services for the Seine-et-Marne department, where the park is situated.

The father reportedly managed to free his son and emergency services arrived quickly on the scene. The child was transferred to Necker hospital at 5.45pm local time.

A Eurodisney spokesman confirmed that an accident with a five-year-old had occurred. “The incident happened late afternoon. Our emergency services intervened rapidly to provide first aid. The attraction is temporarily closed and we are at the family’s side,” she said.

A police inquiry has been opened to work out whether the accident was due to carelessness, negligence from Disney agents or whether safety failings of the attraction itself.

There have been a number of accidents in the past five years in Disneyland Paris.

In November 2008, a 21-year old man suffered serious head injuries after falling seven metres from the Crush’s Coaster spinning ride.

In April 2011, five people were injured, one seriously, when fake rocks hit their train on the Big Thunder Mountain roller coaster.

In October, 2010, a 53-year-old cleaner, subcontracted to Disney, became trapped underneath a boat on It’s a Small World when the ride was inadvertently switched on while it was being cleaned. The man was taken to a hospital where he later died.

In December that year, a 12-year-old boy was paralysed from the neck downwards after going on The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror freefall ride at the Disneyland Paris Walt Disney Studios amusement park. He later recovered.

In January this year, four people were lightly injured when two coaches collided after becoming uncoupled in the Disneyland Railroad ride.

Disneyland Paris is Europe’s top tourist destination, attracting 16 million visitors last year — twice the number who scaled the Eiffel Tower - but it has failed to make profits since it was set up 20 years ago.

I have also seen reports in the French press and on-line by CMs saying the boy was standing up on the seat when he lost his balance and fell backwards.....

Slightly off topic but how did someone fall out of crush's coaster, I thought you were strapped down in this ride?

I asked a CM this morning and they said the boy stood up at the point just before getting off of the boat, I guess the shunt off the boat behind pushed him overboard! I hope he's ok :(

Hope the boy recovers but it is hard to fall out unless you stand before you come to a stop. I personally cant see this being Disney's fault but we shall see

This is a very tragic accident and must have been horrific for all present, I've read posts on facebook and other forums, with some blaming the parents and others blaming dlp.

As I understand - it was the little boy and his dad only, so maybe they had the entire seat to themselves, children do things we wouldn't even think of doing and do them quickly. For all we know he stood up, ran to the end of the seat before dad could grab him and at the precise time the other boat hit and we all know from experience it can be quite a jolt.

As mentioned by another poster I don't think POTC has ever had any similar accidents at any of the parks and has a 100% safety record at DLP. All the risk assessments and safety regulations in the world can't account for freak accidents, we can learn from them, but as I look at it, the warnings are there with the sign in the boat and the audible warnings about remaining seated Disney have themselves pretty much covered and to be honest I think the majority of us would find it a shame to have lap belts or bars installed. When you weigh up how many people have ridden POTC without incident the risk is miniscule, but a serious of unfortunate events leads to a great tragedy.

I read last night that the child had been taken off the "critical" list, lets' hope and pray that he makes a full and speedy recovery and that others who read the story will take heed from it.

Disneyland Paris posted the following on their Facebook page this afternoon

We have learned of improvements in the health of little Iban, a young boy involved in yesterday’s accident on Pirates of the Caribbean. This news is a relief, even if we must remain cautious. We are with the family and we are offering them all the support necessary at this difficult time.

We are working closely and ...fully with the authorities to understand what happened. An expert appointed by the authorities is at the attraction which has been closed until further notice for the investigation to be conducted correctly and carefully. As you know, safety is our utmost concern at Disneyland Paris. We are systematic about safety and our procedures are among the strictest in the industry.

We would like to thank the teams and the authorities for the quality of their work and the speed with which they reacted. We would also like to thank our guests for assisting the emergency teams and sending encouragement.

It's a relief to hear that the little Iban is improving. Lets hope for a speedy recovery.

It's a relief to hear that the little Iban is improving. Lets hope for a speedy recovery.

In all the discussions about whos fault this accident was....this is the important news.

Hope little Iban will get well very soon....only this counts.

:hug:

Slightly off topic but how did someone fall out of crush's coaster, I thought you were strapped down in this ride?

There have been two accidents on Crush's Coaster that I am aware of. I don't know which one the paper is refering to in the article. But one of them was when a Cast Member from the maintenance department fell when carrying out daily maintenance on the ride in the early hours of the morning.

The other I think was when a guest experianced a panic attack while on the ride and managed to free himself from the restraints and then jumped off it while it was moving.

Just read that Iban is out of hospital and back at the Santa Fe with his family, fantastic news :thumbsup2

Oh and potc should reopen tomorrow :goodvibes

Just read that Iban is out of hospital and back at the Santa Fe with his family, fantastic news :thumbsup2

Oh and potc should reopen tomorrow :goodvibes

Excellent news, hopefully they'll be giving him some extra magic at some point in the future, they have been great this time round publicly acknowledging it and keeping people updated, so hats off to them.

I was eating at Blue Lagoon during the time of the accident, the lights went up very quickly and everyone was removed from the ride. At that time we had no idea what was going on and just assumed the ride had broken down.

I hope the little boy involved makes a speedy recovery, but I hope parents take note and understand that rules are there for a reason and that reason is safety.

I was eating at Blue Lagoon during the time of the accident, the lights went up very quickly and everyone was removed from the ride. At that time we had no idea what was going on and just assumed the ride had broken down. I hope the little boy involved makes a speedy recovery, but I hope parents take note and understand that rules are there for a reason and that reason is safety.

Yes except for what has been published makes it look like the parents did nothing wrong. What has been published (rightly or wrongly) in the French local press is that the little boy stood up when the ride stopped to get off but his boat was jolted from behind and he was knocked off. Please don't be so quick to point the finger at parents. Not all parents are neglectful and sometimes accidents happen even under the best conditions of supervision.

Yes except for what has been published makes it look like the parents did nothing wrong. What has been published (rightly or wrongly) in the French local press is that the little boy stood up when the ride stopped to get off but his boat was jolted from behind and he was knocked off. Please don't be so quick to point the finger at parents. Not all parents are neglectful and sometimes accidents happen even under the best conditions of supervision.

For your information I wasn't pointing fingers at the parents, I was just saying that this should encourage parents to be more wary of their children and the safety rules.

So maybe you need to read things properly before pointing the finger and accusing people of saying things that they didn't say.

For your information I wasn't pointing fingers at the parents, I was just saying that this should encourage parents to be more wary of their children and the safety rules.

So maybe you need to read things properly before pointing the finger and accusing people of saying things that they didn't say.

:thumbsup2

Apperently same thing happened in It's A Small World last night.
According to the CM who came to "rescue" us. Our boat stopped, the music stopped, all boats in front of us kept going.
All boats behind us, were dragged backwords, to a safer place where people could step onto the decor, and to be led out through backdoors.

There was an ambulance and a firecar/policecar at the back (couldn't tell which one, but definatly an ambulance was there).

We got evacuated pretty quickly, the CM's definatly knew what to do, and kept everyone calm, asking people if we were alright and such.
(specially me, as I have a panic disorder, which I told him/showed my EAC, so they got me out first)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter