2019 College Football National Championship ticket prices dropping like a rock

Not directly on topic, but I thought the people on this thread would be interested in this article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...b30450-04a6-11e9-9122-82e98f91ee6f_story.html

It talks about revenue and salaries for a lot of bowls and is focused on the head of the Outback Bowl who earns a million+ dollars.

The money in college football - even apart from the top 10 teams or so - is just astonishing.

Meanwhile those that generate the money, the players, get a swag bag worth about 500 bucks. We really need to take a look at our "non profits and the abuses thereof."

Honestly, no one. I just get tired of people complaining about it being the same teams. These are the best programs.

I'm not arguing they aren't the best. I'm just sick of seeing the same schools all the time. Nor do I know how to fix it. I mean, it's not like you can institute a salary cap or anything, since the players "aren't paid".

As an LSU fan we have to accept that coming in 2nd in the SEC is like winning it. Imagine being in BAMA's DIVISION and having to play them every year!

And people wonder why I never watch the playoffs or NCG. BAMA is BORING. Clemson is BORING.

Tired of both of them, but they get all the best recruits. No way to stop that.

Meanwhile those that generate the money, the players, get a swag bag worth about 500 bucks. We really need to take a look at our "non profits and the abuses thereof."

They get something far more valuable than money, they get an education. At most D1 schools that is worth $100,000+. Hopefully they are smart enough to take advantage of it and major in something useful.

Last edited:
if the industrial Midwest doesn't even get a shot, we dont care
Ummmm..wasn't Notre Dame in one of the playoff games? Isn't it in South Bend, Indiana? Or is South Bend kind-of like Austin, meaning the residents are too hoity-toity to think of themselves as residents of the actual state their city is in?

They get something far more valuable than money, they get an education. At most D1 schools that is worth $100,000+. Hopefully they are smart enough to take advantage of it and major in something useful.

Too bad many of those athletes major in the equivalent Underwater Basket Weaving.

Too bad many of those athletes major in the equivalent Underwater Basket Weaving.

Which is true but their own fault. I know athletics is a time commitment but plenty of people manage to go to college while having other time consuming commitments. They work full time, have families, young children, are caregivers for elderly parents, etc. Despite having other commitments that take must as much time as athletics they still manage to make their education a priority.

I have a demanding job and a toddler and am in graduate school for my MBA. If I can do that someone can play a sport and still study and graduate with a real degree.

Which is true but their own fault. I know athletics is a time commitment but plenty of people manage to go to college while having other time consuming commitments. They work full time, have families, young children, are caregivers for elderly parents, etc. Despite having other commitments that take must as much time as athletics they still manage to make their education a priority.

I have a demanding job and a toddler and am in graduate school for my MBA. If I can do that someone can play a sport and still study and graduate with a real degree.

The problem with many D1 athletes, particularly in football, is that if it weren't for their athletic talent, many of them would not be qualified for admission to the school. Many athletes have been promoted for sports from early grade school on up, with absolutely no regard to whether or not they learned the material. It's awful, really, and many of them never catch up. Being taken into an environment where they are academically over their heads is not really their fault; they have adults who should know better always telling them that it will work out fine.

My first job with LSU's athletic department was as a football tutor when I was just a freshman. I tutored English, and getting my guys through Freshman Comp was a herculean undertaking, because most of them could not read anything more difficult than Dr. Suess. They used to call me at all hours begging me to come over to Broussard Hall to read their assignments for them. (Not all athletes had personal tutors, only football and basketball players whose single-digit ACT score made it clear that they were not going to survive college classwork without help. Those sports made money for the school, and the Athletic department paid what it took to keep them academically eligible as long as they were playing. However, once they were cut or had done their 4 years, the tutoring was gone. I had guys break down in tears because they weren't drafted and suddenly realized that school was the only option left, but discovered that no one else was going to pay me for helping them anymore.)

You know, I am a big Ga Bulldog fan, but I, and most of those I know that are also fans, never expected our team to be in the Championship series. We did lose those games, and Notre Dame went in undefeated. Kind of, case closed.
It was more the talking heads that debated whether we belonged or not. Our coach was out there cheerleading to be included, but that is his job.

The problem with many D1 athletes, particularly in football, is that if it weren't for their athletic talent, many of them would not be qualified for admission to the school. Many athletes have been promoted for sports from early grade school on up, with absolutely no regard to whether or not they learned the material. It's awful, really, and many of them never catch up. Being taken into an environment where they are academically over their heads is not really their fault; they have adults who should know better always telling them that it will work out fine.

My first job with LSU's athletic department was as a football tutor when I was just a freshman. I tutored English, and getting my guys through Freshman Comp was a herculean undertaking, because most of them could not read anything more difficult than Dr. Suess. They used to call me at all hours begging me to come over to Broussard Hall to read their assignments for them. (Not all athletes had personal tutors, only football and basketball players whose single-digit ACT score made it clear that they were not going to survive college classwork without help. Those sports made money for the school, and the Athletic department paid what it took to keep them academically eligible as long as they were playing. However, once they were cut or had done their 4 years, the tutoring was gone. I had guys break down in tears because they weren't drafted and suddenly realized that school was the only option left, but discovered that no one else was going to pay me for helping them anymore.)

That sounds kind of sad. I know of quite a few athletic departments where there were of course corners cut in order to get star athletes on rosters, but where there was still an effort made to get student-athletes to graduate. It was mostly football and men's/women's basketball that seem to have the most leeway for poor grades. At least at one time at Cal it was on a quota system throughout the entire department. From what I heard, it was rare for any sports other than those three I mentioned to dip into the more severe quotas. The athletic dept could get any number of student-athletes who met minimum University of California eligibility. They had an average of 4 per year that they could use on NCAA minimum eligibility student-athletes.

I personally know of fifth year student-athletes with no more eligibility having full access to all athletic services including tutoring. I know of one student-athlete who had this strange issue of not coming back for her senior year (it was some really weird thing where it was in doubt if she went pro) but came back a few years later on the athletic depths dime to graduate.

It was really odd one year too. I remember going to a basketball game where I sat in my usual section. For whatever reason a bunch of football players were there, and some were heckling their athletic dept academic monitor (sitting in the visitor's ticket section) who was a graduate of the school of the visiting team (I think it was Howard). I asked them what the deal was, and one of the football players said that she "makes sure we go to class". One of the players there was Nnamdi Asomugha, who I know definitely graduated and probably didn't need that much help.

There are always the players who came back. I remember basketball player Kevin Johnson spent four years but didn't graduate. He played in the NBA and actually graduated 10 years after leaving. He became a two-term Mayor of Sacramento too. I don't know if there are necessarily that many success stories.

I'm still wondering what happened to JaMarcus Russell. Last I heard he was on the Purple Drank.

That sucks. I really hate to hear stuff like that. I knew about the tutors but never really thought about what happens to those kids who don’t make it & can’t just get their degree. As much as I think paying players will ruin college football, stuff like that makes me think we should change something. Perhaps giving scholarships & guaranteed help to get through to get their degree would be an idea. Also, as far as their lack of education before they get to college, that also gets into the issue of the deplorable public school system in Louisiana.

ETA: Was that under Saban? If so, did you work under any other coaches? Did that policy ever change? Also, were you an English major? I’m asking b/c I was for undergrad.

Last edited:
That sounds kind of sad. I know of quite a few athletic departments where there were of course corners cut in order to get star athletes on rosters, but where there was still an effort made to get student-athletes to graduate. It was mostly football and men's/women's basketball that seem to have the most leeway for poor grades. At least at one time at Cal it was on a quota system throughout the entire department. From what I heard, it was rare for any sports other than those three I mentioned to dip into the more severe quotas. The athletic dept could get any number of student-athletes who met minimum University of California eligibility. They had an average of 4 per year that they could use on NCAA minimum eligibility student-athletes.

I personally know of fifth year student-athletes with no more eligibility having full access to all athletic services including tutoring. I know of one student-athlete who had this strange issue of not coming back for her senior year (it was some really weird thing where it was in doubt if she went pro) but came back a few years later on the athletic depths dime to graduate.

It was really odd one year too. I remember going to a basketball game where I sat in my usual section. For whatever reason a bunch of football players were there, and some were heckling their athletic dept academic monitor (sitting in the visitor's ticket section) who was a graduate of the school of the visiting team (I think it was Howard). I asked them what the deal was, and one of the football players said that she "makes sure we go to class". One of the players there was Nnamdi Asomugha, who I know definitely graduated and probably didn't need that much help.

There are always the players who came back. I remember basketball player Kevin Johnson spent four years but didn't graduate. He played in the NBA and actually graduated 10 years after leaving. He became a two-term Mayor of Sacramento too. I don't know if there are necessarily that many success stories.

I'm still wondering what happened to JaMarcus Russell. Last I heard he was on the Purple Drank.
JaMarcus was one of those great college quarterbacks that just were not cut out for the NFL.

[snip]
ETA: Was that under Saban? If so, did you work under any other coaches? Did that policy ever change? Also, were you an English major? I’m asking b/c I was for undergrad.

WAY before Saban, it was when Dietzel was AD. History major ( I CLEP'd out of 12 hrs of English but wound up suffering through Comp anyway with those players.) I would hope the tutoring policy has changed by now, but I'm guessing that star recruits in profitable sports are still admitted even if they don't meet academic standards.

If you watched the bowl games, there were a ton of empty seats.

I think there really are just waaaaaay too many bowl games at this point. It used to be a big deal to go to a bowl game. Now they are every day, all day it seems. Nothing special that would make fans want to travel and spend money.

I completely agree. I love my alma mater but there's no way they should have gone to a bowl game this year and the travesty that was the Cheez-It Bowl proves this. More than half the team couldn't play due to either injury or being suspended/kicked out for bad behavior. We were using a quarterback for part of the game that could only use one foot and thus couldn't run because the other quarterbacks couldn't play.

As for student-athletes, I think it's a scandal that students are allowed to play on the team who shouldn't be at college at all. Those classroom seats are being taken away from applicants who can do the work. My dh majored in engineering which was one of the main weed out programs at our university. He was surprised to meet a football player in his freshman class and was even more astonished when the guy graduated with an engineering degree even though he played football during his entire 4 years in college. The engineering department never would have passed the guy if he hadn't made the grades. They took their jobs very seriously and often told the students that if you mess up someone could die.

Ummmm..wasn't Notre Dame in one of the playoff games? Isn't it in South Bend, Indiana? Or is South Bend kind-of like Austin, meaning the residents are too hoity-toity to think of themselves as residents of the actual state their city is in?

Mmm, Notre Dame attendees think they're better than everyone else EVER, not just Indiana residents. However, South Bend... I'm assuming you've never been there because no one who has been would describe the residents as hoity-toity.

Effort can vary widely from school to school. Sometimes effort won't get a kid through but there they still are. My kid has been involved in D1 sports (athlete, intern, grad asst, now full time employee) at two different D1 schools. One is a "very big" school with a "top name coach" and an "award winning" QB. He had constant tutors including a friend. Went through lots of tutors as they all gave up. Said he could barely read, no way he legitimately graduated high school or should be in college. He's pro now. It's all about money for the colleges, and pros for the kids ........ not about education at MANY programs. Football is often their bread and butter so backs are turned, about lots of things.

But you are right, other sports, other coaches stay on their athletes, make sure they are on track to graduate, take pride in their academic awards and average GPA. Those teams carry the school's overall average athletic GPA where there are sports who fudge the numbers.

Mmm, Notre Dame attendees think they're better than everyone else EVER, not just Indiana residents. However, South Bend... I'm assuming you've never been there because no one who has been would describe the residents as hoity-toity.

I've been there a couple times. ;)

WAY before Saban, it was when Dietzel was AD. History major ( I CLEP'd out of 12 hrs of English but wound up suffering through Comp anyway with those players.) I would hope the tutoring policy has changed by now, but I'm guessing that star recruits in profitable sports are still admitted even if they don't meet academic standards.
Oh yeah. That’s way before my time ;). I was a freshman when DiNardo was coach. I do think the policies have changed now at least as far as admissions. I know they still have tutoring, but that was a long time ago so hopefully things have changed. And to be fair, getting that degree now isn’t a guarantee of really anything anymore. Hence, why I went to grad school after majoring in English.

I completely agree. I love my alma mater but there's no way they should have gone to a bowl game this year and the travesty that was the Cheez-It Bowl proves this. More than half the team couldn't play due to either injury or being suspended/kicked out for bad behavior. We were using a quarterback for part of the game that could only use one foot and thus couldn't run because the other quarterbacks couldn't play.

As for student-athletes, I think it's a scandal that students are allowed to play on the team who shouldn't be at college at all. Those classroom seats are being taken away from applicants who can do the work. My dh majored in engineering which was one of the main weed out programs at our university. He was surprised to meet a football player in his freshman class and was even more astonished when the guy graduated with an engineering degree even though he played football during his entire 4 years in college. The engineering department never would have passed the guy if he hadn't made the grades. They took their jobs very seriously and often told the students that if you mess up someone could die.
I would argue the spots these players are taking are not really viable spots. Most of them major in general studies or something similar. They’re not keeping anyone out the engineering programs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter