2017 Calendar of Events & School Breaks and DLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed that The NAMM Show is not listed on the calendar, which is the largest Convention Center event held in Anaheim each year. Over 100,000 folks attend the private event, and causes a lot of Hotel rooms to be booked, and the fact that sponsors of the show rent out a lot of facilities, including the Hyperion Theater (no Frozen Shows that weekend) , ESPN Zone, and many Disney Hotel Convention rooms and more.

https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2017

Jr. Spirit Nationals are Feb. 25-26, 2017 at Hyperion Theater in DCA. Paradise Pier is the host hotel.

Just saw that Veteran's Day Official Holiday is not mentioned. While the true Veteran's Day is Saturday the 11th, the US Government has declared Friday, November 10th as the day off for workers, and also schools and much of the Financial system takes the day off.

Also not mentioned is Lincoln's BD, which is celebrated on Monday, February 13th in 2017. California, Arizona, Connecticut, New York, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri all choose to celebrate this holiday.

Last edited:
Noticed that The NAMM Show is not listed on the calendar, which is the largest Convention Center event held in Anaheim each year.
Thanks. When I created the calendar initially, NAMM had not yet posted their 2017 dates, so I left them off the calendar.

Jr. Spirit Nationals are Feb. 25-26, 2017 at Hyperion Theater in DCA. Paradise Pier is the host hotel.
Thanks!

Just saw that Veteran's Day Official Holiday is not mentioned. While the true Veteran's Day is Saturday the 11th, the US Government has declared Friday, November 10th as the day off for workers, and also schools and much of the Financial system takes the day off.
Okay, I modified Veteran's Day to note the observed day instead of the actual day.

Also not mentioned is Lincoln's BD, which is celebrated on Monday, February 13th in 2017. California, Arizona, Connecticut, New York, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri all choose to celebrate this holiday.
I hemmed and hawed about Lincoln's birthday and opted to forgo listing it because it didn't turn up as a holiday for very many school districts (for those that it did come up, I listed it down in the School break sections). Most seemed to take President's Day instead.

I hemmed and hawed about Lincoln's birthday and opted to forgo listing it because it didn't turn up as a holiday for very many school districts (for those that it did come up, I listed it down in the School break sections). Most seemed to take President's Day instead.

With such a detailed list, IMHO, I would add it with a comment such as (Limited US Holiday) to explain that not everyone gets the day off. Also interesting to note, this date is sometimes used as a "Teachers instructional" day, in where Students don't have to attend, but the school is officially open.

This tool, at least in California is used for things like some Religious Holidays", in where the school knows that a decent percentage will not attend due to the parents keeping them away from school. And since the school budget is based on student attendance, unexcused absences are an issue, and this is their workaround to not "officially" say we are taking the day off, say for a Jewish holiday, but still not worry about attendance, since it is only a day for Teachers to do prep or attend workshops.

A related issue is the Christmas Holidays, schools in the South West have found that a decent amount of students won't return until after Three Kings day (the 12th day of Christmas - January 6th). Seems like a large amount of Latinos return home to a foreign country to celebrate the Holidays and based on their culture and religion, celebrate the 12 days period, and won't return until after it is finished. So reviewing attendance trends, they decided to just extend the Christmas (well schools call it Winter Break now) to avoid the unexcused attendance and boost their budgets.

With the Utah convention on Thursday and Friday (Oct 19-20), do you think the Mon-Wed of that week will be crowded (16-20) and not so much the following week (23-27)? I'm thinking of going Oct 24-26...

Truthfully, I think it's a flip of the coin in terms of crowds. Some folks might opt to make a long week of it and take takes off before the UEA convention and others might opt to extend it into the next weekend.

FYI: VidCon is June 21-24 at the Anaheim Convention Center. Could explain why the AP blackout dates are during that time? I know that Disney day is going to be that Sunday the 25th. :) Thank you for the list! Hope this helps.

I've added Vidcon to the list. That unexpected blockout in mid-June seems so random, but there must be a reason...it's been happening for several years and doesn't always align with Vidcon's days or any other major convention, graduation ceremony, or event that I've heard about. Like many things that has to do with Disneyland's operating calendar...It's a mystery! :rotfl:

Thanks for this info! Looks like I was wrong about Spring Break. I thought our district was early this year, so everyone else would have it later and Disneyland wouldn't be as busy. Wrong! lol

It's interesting that our CA spring break isn't blocked out for our passes. I wonder how that will affect a trip if we went?

FYI: VidCon is June 21-24 at the Anaheim Convention Center. Could explain why the AP blackout dates are during that time? I know that Disney day is going to be that Sunday the 25th. :) Thank you for the list! Hope this helps.

Dang...our trip is the 21st - 29th (5 park days in there.) I am worried now. Grrr.

Riverside and Corona-Norco school districts together have 100,000 students and are within an hour's drive of the parks, unlike many of the Arizona districts which have a fraction of the students. Have you checked the state's list of largest districts? You're missing about 300,000 students across 6-7 districts. And some of them are a short drive away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter