2017 Calendar of Events & School Breaks and DLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riverside and Corona-Norco school districts together have 100,000 students and are within an hour's drive of the parks, unlike many of the Arizona districts which have a fraction of the students. Have you checked the state's list of largest districts? You're missing about 300,000 students across 6-7 districts. And some of them are a short drive away.
I can add those districts to the list. When I created the original list, I went with the top 10 districts in CA at that time plus any district that folks specifically mentioned in the thread. For the other states, it was the top 3 to 5 districts, plus any that were specially mentioned.

Added dates for Three Kings' Day Celebration, Lunar New Year, Holiday closures, and miscellaneous other events.

San Juan Unified in the Sacramento area (and the 11th largest district in the state) will start back on August 10th in 2017.

You should add Showstopper Dance Competitions to the calendar. They are at the Disneyland Hotel. These competitions are huge and will put lots of dancers and families in and around the area. Impacts the hotels and restaurants for sure. Not all the dancers go into the parks but they do offer discounted park tickets to attendees.

Feb 17-20, April 7-9, May 26-29 and July 19-23.

http://www.goshowstopper.com/

LA Unified changes its mind, and school will start on August 16th in 2017...

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-edu-lausd-school-academic-20161214-story.html
Thanks (the article was interesting); I checked the LAUSD website and they still haven't posted the 2017-2018 calendar yet. Hopefully they'll publish the full 2017-2018 calendars soon.

San Juan Unified in the Sacramento area (and the 11th largest district in the state) will start back on August 10th in 2017.
Thanks; added San Juan to the calendar.

You should add Showstopper Dance Competitions to the calendar. They are at the Disneyland Hotel. These competitions are huge and will put lots of dancers and families in and around the area. Impacts the hotels and restaurants for sure. Not all the dancers go into the parks but they do offer discounted park tickets to attendees.

Feb 17-20, April 7-9, May 26-29 and July 19-23.

http://www.goshowstopper.com/
Thanks; added the dates to the calendar.

This week's Anaheim Bulletin was talking about how the expansion of the Convention Center was right on track for a September opening. But they also mentioned that one of the first large conventions that will use the new space, the American Heart Association meeting, which will be held in Anaheim November 11th through the 15th.

http://www.pr-medicalevents.com/congress/aha-2017/

So we will have a major weekend, a Disney Half-Marathon, the convention, and the start of the Christmas Holiday season at the Resort. I think it will be a packed weekend, and expensive Hotel Rates.

This week's Anaheim Bulletin was talking about how the expansion of the Convention Center was right on track for a September opening. But they also mentioned that one of the first large conventions that will use the new space, the American Heart Association meeting, which will be held in Anaheim November 11th through the 15th.

So we will have a major weekend, a Disney Half-Marathon, the convention, and the start of the Christmas Holiday season at the Resort. I think it will be a packed weekend, and expensive Hotel Rates.
Good to know. We're planning a trip for early November, so we'll be sure to be out of there by the 11th!

Thanks for this wonderful list. We are planning on going September 13 - 16, 2017, so I'm thinking this may be a bit of a sweet spot in terms of crowd levels (at least for DLR standards). Crossing my fingers this ends up being the case. I've only ever been on high volume days.

Thanks; I added it to the calendar!

Does anyone know how much impact the lunar new year celebrations have on attendance, either the first weekend (jan 20) or the actual new year weekend (jan 28)?

Since Disney has started to offer a special event for the Lunar New Year, expect some heavier than average crowds due to the event.

But I would be more worried about the impact of the NAMM Show (largest convention in Anaheim, plus a major Motocross event at Angel Stadium.

And then on the 28th, the West Coast Championships in Dance/Cheer at the Convention Center.

These will have a big impact on the park crowds

Thanks, but where are you seeing the west coast championships on jan 28th? I'm not able to find it here or on the anaheim convention center website calendar.

Can I ask how the "Disneyland Half Marathon" will affect things (e.g. Thurs Aug 31)? Do they close off areas? Extra crowds?
We're already selected this as one of our days (Tues - Fri of that week) and so just wondering how we'll be affected. Thanks.

Thanks! Added it to the calendar.

Can I ask how the "Disneyland Half Marathon" will affect things (e.g. Thurs Aug 31)? Do they close off areas? Extra crowds?
We're already selected this as one of our days (Tues - Fri of that week) and so just wondering how we'll be affected. Thanks.
I do think you'll see a ramp up in the crowds as the Disneyland Half Marathon weekend begins. I would check out the Official 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon thread; the Dis'ers in that thread should be able to give you a pretty good sense of how things are on marathon weekends (I've only been once and it was noticeably crowded and I would avoid driving to the parks on race day mornings if at all possible).

Thanks for compiling this figment. One small correction, the October break for Chandler, AZ actually runs through the 17th, not the 13th. The first day back to school is October 18th. I mention this because a lot of people (such as myself in the past) book their trip through the weekend and leave on Monday or Tuesday instead of heading home on Sunday like we would if we only had the week. Also the March break runs through the 27th. Thanks!

Thanks! I corrected it on the calendar. I think when I was scanning the calendar, I missed the "x"'s on those dates!

OK, the craziness at LA Unified continues, they tried to make a three year plan, and end up deciding on just one year (2017-18)

Here is the official calendar.

file:///C:/Users/darkb/Downloads/Board_Approved_Single_Track_Cal_2017-2018.pdf

Main Dates... (Calendar is a bit confusing, so I am adding weekends and Unassigned days to the Holiday periods.)

School starts on Tuesday, August 15th

LAUSD is giving students the day off on September 21st. (While they won't admit it, it is due to the Jewish Holiday, Rosh Hashana, aka Jewish New Year).

Thanksgiving Break is November 18th through the 26th

Christmas break will be December 16th, 2017 through January 7th, 2018.

Easter Break will be March 24th through the April 2nd, 2018. (Easter is April 1st, and yes, students will get Monday the 2nd off).

Summer Vacation starts on Friday, June 8th. (Last day of class is June 7th).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter