WOW - SW - what happened?

These are the posts I made about the WGA fares disappearing & then coming back for,my trips last May & December. Sorr, I don't know how to link to them in my iPad.

View attachment 303001. View attachment 303002

This makes me feel a bit better. I've never booked on Southwest. But, when prices came out, my husband and I discussed it. When I was ready to book, I wanted to be home on my own computer, not at work. When I looked at 1pm they were all $95 bucks. When hubby went to book an hour later, it was at $295 each! We couldn't justify that and right now, they're at $368 (and that's for all four, if you put in one, you get $246!) I'm really upset by this and I keep stalking the websites for all airlines. I'm hoping they come down, although I'm not optimistic!

This makes me feel a bit better. I've never booked on Southwest. But, when prices came out, my husband and I discussed it. When I was ready to book, I wanted to be home on my own computer, not at work. When I looked at 1pm they were all $95 bucks. When hubby went to book an hour later, it was at $295 each! We couldn't justify that and right now, they're at $368 (and that's for all four, if you put in one, you get $246!) I'm really upset by this and I keep stalking the websites for all airlines. I'm hoping they come down, although I'm not optimistic!

This happened to me last week. The day the flights came out for August I check them and from PVD it was $99 each way. I had no time to book them but knew I could 45 minutes later. I go back on in 45 minutes and the price from MCO to PVD was still $99, but the price from PVD to MCO was now $274!!! So I book our flight home and have been waiting for flights from PVD on our date to go back down and have also been checking other airlines. Now our flights down to MCO are over $300 per person on SWA, but jetBlue just came out with decent prices and I just booked them for our family of 4.

This happened to me last week. The day the flights came out for August I check them and from PVD it was $99 each way. I had no time to book them but knew I could 45 minutes later. I go back on in 45 minutes and the price from MCO to PVD was still $99, but the price from PVD to MCO was now $274!!! So I book our flight home and have been waiting for flights from PVD on our date to go back down and have also been checking other airlines. Now our flights down to MCO are over $300 per person on SWA, but jetBlue just came out with decent prices and I just booked them for our family of 4.

This is my problem! I got great flights going down, but coming back is too much! I'm so discouraged and mad at myself! Now I'm just watching and stalking!

We always book the first flight out. Actually my dd is going with her bf to Miami in two weeks and their flight is also at 6 am. My husband just arranged a car to bring them to the airport so they can get there at 4 am.

I love the first flight out. Planes are there from night before and very very rarely do we ever have a delay.

Unless crew didn’t get enough ‘down time’ from late arrival night beforehand.

The few times it’s happened to us over the years not an huge issue, as I rarely plan anything urgent first day. when cruising always attempt to arrive day prior.

Once moved to next NS flight out less than 2 hours later with their apologies. Few other times longer delay, offered refund, decent compensation and choice of connecting or later direct flight

Shocked
Non stop flights are gone

Prices are 'sky' high

Plane changes (increase the luggage, seat drama, please)

Stupid changes - MCO > FLL? Really?

We have competition, though. New airline in town - hopping over there now

Is this thread still on topic? I think this Motley Fool article describes what happened. Southwest had about 10 years of really favorable fuel costs over it's competition. That seems to have disappeared around 2010, and they actually fared worse in their fuel cost hedging strategy over the last few years. https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/07/25/southwest-airlines-gets-burned-by-fuel-hedges-agai.aspx

I have heard of others, under the same circumstances, who just present a valid legal picture I.D., with the name on the reservation matching to the name on the I.D.; or, you can call Southwest Customer Relations - 855-234-4654. Since you had problems with the reservations agent's help, last time, I would call this number, instead, and explain the situation and last experience. The reps at this number are problem-solvers.
Well, that's the thing, the name on the ID will not match the name on the account and I don't know if she has the old ID anymore. That's why I thought that just either canceling or changing might be easy and the best way to go. And with your info, I got a little confused and I wasn't sure which would be best to not lose the fees paid by cc. Now I'm wondering, if I was changing the ressie, if her name would be able to be changed at all anyway, and I'd actually have to cancel and rebook correctly. Anyway, I guess I'll have to try or call the number you gave me. Sorry I was so late getting back, wasn't able to get on to reply back. Thanks so much for answering!

Well, that's the thing, the name on the ID will not match the name on the account and I don't know if she has the old ID anymore. That's why I thought that just either canceling or changing might be easy and the best way to go. And with your info, I got a little confused and I wasn't sure which would be best to not lose the fees paid by cc. Now I'm wondering, if I was changing the ressie, if her name would be able to be changed at all anyway, and I'd actually have to cancel and rebook correctly. Anyway, I guess I'll have to try or call the number you gave me. Sorry I was so late getting back, wasn't able to get on to reply back. Thanks so much for answering!
I would definitely call. You do not want to lose any funds or have to pay more for a ticket. Southwest Customer Relations can help with that, as well as do the name change, which you cannot do. I hope it all work out well.

A lot of comments about cut backs on nonstops to MCO out of the Northeast cities - WN has struggled at times to get things established. PHL was resistant to move away from US/AA. EWR is struggling today as UA has been putting up a good fight. Closer to home, DTW use to have a nonstop that went seasonal and rarely makes it back for any length of time thanks to DL, Spirit, etc.

We fly out of Albany, NY. We have always (the past five years we've gone, including last month) had a choice of three non-stops both ways. We just decided to book a trip for Halloween and it's looking like Southwest now has only one non-stop a day/way. Going down isn't bad but it's looking like coming home the only non-stop is 8 pm. I was pretty surprised, the flights are always full when we take them.

I still have direct flights from DCA, but with bad timing.

I've had flight prices change within the couple of minutes between looking them up and booking them.

I think the days of Southwest being a Low-Cost airline are long gone. But a long time ago, they were very cheap compared to the legacy airlines, because Southwest did a long-term deal for its fuel. So when the oil crisis hit, Southwest was sitting pretty with its unbreakable contract for fuel. Thus, low prices.

I'm still getting one ways for under $80. Some were around $50. That's pretty low cost...but you have to be lucky to grab those. on the other hand I've gotten two flights with Jet Blue that were $40.

I think the days of Southwest being a Low-Cost airline are long gone. But a long time ago, they were very cheap compared to the legacy airlines, because Southwest did a long-term deal for its fuel. So when the oil crisis hit, Southwest was sitting pretty with its unbreakable contract for fuel. Thus, low prices.

Not to mention when they bought out Airtran, and as soon as they could pull out of whatever airports they had contracts with they did. I have an airport 15 minutes away that I have gotten Airtran/SW flights with quick layover in Atl. Now I have to Either go an hour away for long layover flights, in Chicago, Dc, or Philly. Or hour and a half for Non stops. Of course depending on the times it will be non stops with a 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 year old.

Throughout the travel industry (airlines, hotel corporations, etc) over the last several years, we've seen this shift where they have really disregarded the leisure/vacation traveler and are solely catering to business travelers. All the major hotel operators (Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, etc) have tailored all of their various brands to different types of business travelers. Airlines have eliminated many routes - like to/from MCO, as many have attested to in this thread - that are vacation destinations in favor of routes that most people would think wouldn't be popular but have more demand from business travelers.

I'm seriously starting to get nervous about next week:scared:

I looked at the last week in September, departing and returning on a Friday, which are the days we would most likely be travelling, and YIKES!!!...almost $600 round-trip PER PERSON!!:scared1: Are you serious?? If we decided to do Saturday-Saturday instead, it would only be $500 per person, with a 3-hour layover on the way down and a 3.5-hour layover on the way home...fun times:sad2:.

At these prices and schedules, it's not looking too promising for a round-trip on SWA for this trip. I have 37K points which should (hopefully) be enough to cover one-way tickets for the three of us...but now I'm not so sure. In the past, a one-way fare in October was around $180 on the high end. Now I am seeing the LOWEST fares in September at $195.

My dad has offered to drive us to Detroit so we can fly non-stop on Delta (8pm flight) and the total cost for that flight would be $488. We could take the same flight but catch it at 5pm out of Grand Rapids, FLY to Detroit and sit for two hours before it departs at 8pm to Orlando, and it would cost $545. My first thought was the extra $57 to fly out of our local airport was no big deal, but my dad offered to take us (free, won't even let me pay for gas!) and I HATE the take-offs and landings so the idea of a 2-hour drive vs. a 2-hour layover sounds so much better to me. Either way, we'd have to pick up the kids from school at 3pm and head straight to the airport, either GRR (15 minutes away) or DTW (2 hours away). The girls would be exhausted and I think they would be more likely to catch a snooze on the 2-hour car ride to Detroit vs a 2-hour layover in the airport.

Oh, man....this is so nerve-wracking....I just know that if SWA doesn't come through with a schedule or prices that don't work, I will end up pulling the trigger with Delta and once I do that, it's a done deal since their cancellation and change policy is...well...there are none. I'll also have to decide if we want to drive to Detroit (which, incidentally, we have done several times so it's no big deal for us) or go out of GR. I guess I will see what happens....

I looked at the last week in September, departing and returning on a Friday, which are the days we would most likely be travelling, and YIKES!!!...almost $600 round-trip PER PERSON!!:scared1: Are you serious?? If we decided to do Saturday-Saturday instead, it would only be $500 per person, with a 3-hour layover on the way down and a 3.5-hour layover on the way home...fun times:sad2:.

At these prices and schedules, it's not looking too promising for a round-trip on SWA for this trip. I have 37K points which should (hopefully) be enough to cover one-way tickets for the three of us...but now I'm not so sure. In the past, a one-way fare in October was around $180 on the high end. Now I am seeing the LOWEST fares in September at $195.

My dad has offered to drive us to Detroit so we can fly non-stop on Delta (8pm flight) and the total cost for that flight would be $488. We could take the same flight but catch it at 5pm out of Grand Rapids, FLY to Detroit and sit for two hours before it departs at 8pm to Orlando, and it would cost $545. My first thought was the extra $57 to fly out of our local airport was no big deal, but my dad offered to take us (free, won't even let me pay for gas!) and I HATE the take-offs and landings so the idea of a 2-hour drive vs. a 2-hour layover sounds so much better to me. Either way, we'd have to pick up the kids from school at 3pm and head straight to the airport, either GRR (15 minutes away) or DTW (2 hours away). The girls would be exhausted and I think they would be more likely to catch a snooze on the 2-hour car ride to Detroit vs a 2-hour layover in the airport.

Oh, man....this is so nerve-wracking....I just know that if SWA doesn't come through with a schedule or prices that don't work, I will end up pulling the trigger with Delta and once I do that, it's a done deal since their cancellation and change policy is...well...there are none. I'll also have to decide if we want to drive to Detroit (which, incidentally, we have done several times so it's no big deal for us) or go out of GR. I guess I will see what happens....
There may be a sale though coming up that could reduce the price.

We booked our airfare initially on 2/23/17 which was release day for a departure of 9/8/17 non-stop and coming home date of 9/17/17 non-stop. Going down on Friday was $186 and coming back up on a Sunday was $186 PP. Sale came out on 3/31/17 and new price was $139 going down PP and $159 coming back home PP.

Can't tell you the prices you'd get at all but just keep in mind sales happen.

*We were impacted by Irma though and we were able to change for no additional airfare amount to come back home on 9/18/17 rather than 9/17.

Though the October flights are not yet available for Frontier, you might want to keep them in mind. Frontier does offer nonstops from GRR-MCO a few times per week. You may want to sign up for emails, so you can get their promo codes. Frontier charges extra for checked bags and larger carry-ons.

I think if you are able to go online very early next Thursday, you might just snag a fairly good Southwest fare. Just a suggestion, if you don't already do so, book flights as one-ways - much easier to make changes, if needed.

We just decided to book a trip for Halloween and it's looking like Southwest now has only one non-stop a day/way.

How could you even see the times for halloween? You can't book anything past Oct. 1st until next week when the new flights are released.

Throughout the travel industry (airlines, hotel corporations, etc) over the last several years, we've seen this shift where they have really disregarded the leisure/vacation traveler and are solely catering to business travelers. All the major hotel operators (Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, etc) have tailored all of their various brands to different types of business travelers. Airlines have eliminated many routes - like to/from MCO, as many have attested to in this thread - that are vacation destinations in favor of routes that most people would think wouldn't be popular but have more demand from business travelers.

You seem unaware that Orlando is a huge business and other convention center.

You seem unaware that Orlando is a huge business and other convention center.

The airlines make a lot of money from last minute business travel. Convention visitors are probably not last minute and can shop around. Cities that eliminated non-stops, like Grand Rapids, probably don't have a large business travel demand to Orlando. One time my boss asked me to step in for him at a meeting in New Jersey, I got a call 2 days before. My PIT-EWR ticket was almost $900. That's the big moneymaker.

Another factor is frequent business travelers tend to favor the legacy carriers because of first class benefits and international travel. To be honest, I've never flown SW on business even though they get my leisure business.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter