Wow - More of a Difference Than I Expected!

I find everyone's opinions interesting, we have done moderate 4 times and are staying deluxe (AKL) next June but my daughter has suggested AoA and the deluxe meal plan for our 2021 trip. Every trip I take 1 day to resort hop and while we have never stayed at a value I thought all of them except All Stars Sports looked interesting.

Ultimately you book what your resources can handle. In my 20s I recall going to the Boardwalk and looking in the hotels thinking wow, wish I was wealthy like these people. I still had a great time and we lived to our means. Just like I used to enjoy my $2000 car, even though I had to change the oil and spark plugs myself and run it with remoulded tyres.
Nowadays I'm lucky enough to hold a senior position in a $400m a year company, so I can afford DVC.
But if it all went away I'd happily book Pop (we stayed in budget motels on 192, any Disney resort was a luxury) and have a great time. I am somewhat spoilt now and I enjoy the DVC, but this doesn't necessarily equate to having happier or better vacations.

I actually prefer the values over the moderates and don't find much of a difference between them at all.

My quietest stays, best bus transportation, and most convenient locations to the foodcourt have been at Pop. I do love POFQ though.

I actually prefer the values over the moderates and don't find much of a difference between them at all.

My quietest stays, best bus transportation, and most convenient locations to the foodcourt have been at Pop. I do love POFQ though.

See, I'd take an All Star any day over Pop. Not a terrible experience, but it felt so crowded there.

See, I'd take an All Star any day over Pop. Not a terrible experience, but it felt so crowded there.

I guess it depends on where your room is located at Pop. Our lakeview rooms have always been so peaceful. :goodvibes

We've stayed at Music twice and while it was a really good experience, we just loved everything about Pop so much more.

We stayed at a moderate our first family trip and a value on our second and didn’t think the differences were worth the cost.

We are staying at the Poly DVC on our next trip because it is dd’s birthday trip and her only request was not having to share a bed with her sister. We will see how we fell about the value of staying there.

Interesting thread. We are different. We started at values years ago. I loved it because I am just low maintenance but DH always complained (too crowded, no proper lobby, hated the pool/bar area, just everything, yada yada yada). So after 3 years at values I caved to be able to go to wdw and we switched to deluxe. Did that for about 8 years. The last 3 years of deluxe DH started complaining about deluxe quality and crowding (hates the way the dining plan brings in large crowds so that it is not really "your" resort- we found this was the worst at GF), so we took a break and stayed off site for 3 years which he loved but I missed Disney. On a whim last year we booked a last minute POR-- kids loved it and honestly not much of a step down from deluxe besides transportation. There was a huge plus at POR: less people at the resort who were not actually staying at the resort. Then we happened to book an all star night on our way to a cruise. Kids said it was their favorite resort of all time. "Why can't we stay here when we come to wdw?" Lol. DH looked at me and just sighed. Next up Deluxe, but only to appease DH. And I thought guys were supposed to be easy going. :P

We are a value family as well. last year I looked into renting DVC and it ended up being cheaper than POP. OMG...going from all star sports to AKL was like winning the lottery. we can't always find DVC availability but when we do it's definitely a treat!

I think Port Orleans Riverside is the best Moderate. Grounds are lovely, rooms good. It's close to some of the deluxes. If I was a cash stayer I'd happily stay there over a deluxe if the savings were good enough.

My family and I agree that there is a pretty large jump between the values and mods and then a nice manageable jump between the mods and deluxes. We don't stay in the values anymore. Last time we stayed in one (ASMo), we did so because my daughter had been begging to stay there. After that, even she was saying that she preferred the other resorts and didn't want to stay there again. To us, the things we value are much better at mods than values.

We stayed at POP in 2010 and loved it. We enjoyed the theming and colors and being in the bubble. Upgraded to POR for our 2015 trip at it was so beautiful. And now, we are DVC members. But if I were out of points and staying on cash, I would have no problems staying at POP. Being at a value is STILL being at Disney, and I'll take that any day :flower1:

My first stay was at Dixie Landings, in '99. When we returned, 18 months later, it was PoR! I've stayed there probably 5 or 6 times so far. I love it there. It is my favorite moderate. But, Disney is starting to price it out of my budget. I own DVC at both BWV and BLT, and like to stay there if at all possible. But, I tend to go to WDW a lot, so my points don't cover all my stays!! I tend to head to a value resort. Just returned from a three night stay at Pop, added to the end of my BWV stay in order to hang out with some friends. I have no issue with the value resorts...other than not being able to eat decently in my room! But, having the coffee maker helps that a bit.
But, the theming at values isn't as nice as at the moderates. And there are no table service restaurants at values, or hot tubs. I don't much care about those, so that's a wash for me. I do love to just walk around PoR...it's so lovely. BUT....don't book it thinking it's going to be a quick walk to your room from the bus stop. Yes, there are four stops around the resort. But, depending on where you are located, it can be a lengthy walk from the bus to your room. The only time I've had a less than a few minute walk was the one time I was in bldg 14, right behind the food court. I could see the buses at the main platform in front of the gift shop...just had to walk out my door, cross the small parking lot and I was there. But, other than that, usually a longer walk. We preferred to just grab a quick bite to eat in the morning, at the food court, then get the bus at the main stop.

Our 20 years of Disney began as a young married couple staying at the Days Inn Florida Mall on Priceline, so the first time we splurged to POFQ a few years later, it was fantastic. Since then, we have bounced up and down the spectrum, from Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Poly and Swan/Dolphin, peppered with AS and Pop, and even the moderates POR and CB. Our latest family trip was at AoA Cars rooms, and we have a parents only trip planned for Beach Club. Wow, that's a lot! But it is spread out over 20 years, so I'll cut myself some slack :)

Through all of this, I've learned several things:

1. We enjoy all of the Disney hotels - just differently. I seem to relish the Deluxe resorts more as a couple. With the kids in tow, it seems to matter much less.
2. As long as we have budgeted properly and we haven't thinned the budget to cram in a higher level room, vacation is very relaxing for us at any resort.
3. Like most people on here have noted, the prices really have risen dramatically in the last 5 years or so. Our upcoming Beach Club trip is a 3 night getaway from the kids. It would be much harder to afford a full week trip at a Deluxe now than it was just a handful of years ago. With five of us, we are much more inclined to look at something like Vistana (which we like very much).

I agree. A value is a themed motel; the moderates are where Disney properties start feeling like resorts. We still stay value sometimes because we've had some pretty commando trips and the resort amenities don't matter when it is just a place to sleep between EMH nights and rope drop mornings, but for us the moderates are the "sweet spot" between price and amenities. I feel like with the deluxes the main advantage over the mods is location, and while that can be nice it isn't something we're willing to pay the premium for every time. The mods have the amenities we care about, specifically the better pools and queen size beds.
Ditto:thumbsup2
Totally agree with your "sweet spot" reference. We always price out all 3 levels and even though we can afford a deluxe we have, most of the time, picked a Mod over it. We have no issues with taking buses everywhere and rarely have any problems with them. We have stayed at a handful of deluxes and both of the monorail resorts. GF is our families favorite resort, but for us we have a very hard time justifying the $150-200+ more per night that deluxes cost over a Mod.

I'll take this as an indication that we should never book a moderate. We are currently happy with the accommodations and savings provided by the values. I don't want to spoil that. :rolleyes1

That was my plan but going on a short notice trip and all the values were full so moderate is where we are going, luckily it is Coranado Springs and it's full of construction so maybe it won't give us that moderate shine.

We have found the biggest difference is between Values and Moderates. We don't feel as much of a difference between Moderates and Deluxes. But yes, once we experienced going to a Moderate we have not gone back to the Values. Although we would stay Value again, we now budget for a Moderate.

We felt a huge difference between mods and deluxes, especially when we stayed at the Contemporary and the Yacht Club. A lot of it for us is due to the ease of access to the parks, but I also thought the Contemporary rooms were the nicest of any Disney resort we've stayed in so far. We also liked having a balcony or patio, and having the rooms open to the interior of the resort instead of outside like a motel.

I remember our very first trip at a moderate. POR as well. I was overwhelmed at how different it was from the All Stars. I wasn't prepared for that and have not returned to a value. Actually, we passed ROFR today at OKW, so we have came a long way.

Then we happened to book an all star night on our way to a cruise. Kids said it was their favorite resort of all time. "Why can't we stay here when we come to wdw?"
Most Guests can't understand that some Guests actually prefer the Values to the Mods and Luxes,but it is true(not to mention the SAVINGS-MANY extra Mickey Premiums!lol).:)

And Disney has really been PLUSSING the Values in recent years with the additions of Mini-fridges,full-size hair dryers,Pool Towels,expanded Room Delivery menu,higher quality toiletries,etc. and also current little extras like the Yoga Classes at All-Star Movies and the Live Music on Friday nights at All-Star Music.

Also,Pop Century and AoA will be 2 of only 3 Resorts with Gondola service to Epcot and DHS.:)

Most Guests can't understand that some Guests actually prefer the Values to the Mods and Luxes,but it is true(not to mention the SAVINGS-MANY extra Mickey Premiums!lol).:)

And Disney has really been PLUSSING the Values in recent years with the additions of Mini-fridges,full-size hair dryers,Pool Towels,expanded Room Delivery menu,higher quality toiletries,etc. and also current little extras like the Yoga Classes at All-Star Movies and the Live Music on Friday nights at All-Star Music.

Also,Pop Century and AoA will be 2 of only 3 Resorts with Gondola service to Epcot and DHS.:)

Which means the savings won't be as high anymore. I think with all of the additions, especially the Gondola, we will see prices that will be more in line with moderates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter