Wow - More of a Difference Than I Expected!

SarahC97

DIS Veteran
We're a value family. We like to go to Disney frequently, so we try to stay in the least expensive accommodations on property as possible. We have no complaints about the values -- love them.

But our last trip we took our niece, so we had a family of 5. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and I have to say -- I was shocked. I just did not expect there to be such a large difference between the values and the moderates. Everything was just so much nicer from the finishes to the beds to the landscaping. I feel kind of silly for being so shocked about it, but here I am. And I didn't think I would, but I absolutely loved the multiple bus stops. Getting off the bus at the end of the day and literally walking 30 seconds to the door of our room was awesome.

This isn't to say we won't stay at a value ever again. I have a special place in my heart for them and I'm sure we will, but I think I will try and budget moderates from now on, especially as my small kids grow older. Makes me afraid to take the leap to Deluxe -- we may never go back!

We have found the biggest difference is between Values and Moderates. We don't feel as much of a difference between Moderates and Deluxes. But yes, once we experienced going to a Moderate we have not gone back to the Values. Although we would stay Value again, we now budget for a Moderate.

We have 'graduated' from AllStarMu to POR to S/D ending up as dedicated Board Walk devotees on rented DVC points. Two trips ago our DVC owner couldn't get us a standard view studio for our whole 9 days so we bumped ourselves up to pool/garden view and now were hooked on that. We agree that the biggest jump was from value to moderate but the indoor corridors and superior themeing Sealed the deal for BW plus location, location, location.

I'm not a fan of the values mostly because they seem more hectic and noisy than the moderate/deluxe resorts. I will stay one night in a value but I'm a fan of the deluxe resorts, mostly the Epcot resorts. I will stay in the moderates though, I have an upcoming trip in a week at CSR. My only complaint about them is you have to ride the bus everywhere, if they would put a moderate within walking distance of Epcot/HS I would so be there.

Getting off the bus at the end of the day and literally walking 30 seconds to the door of our room was awesome.

Wow, lucky. Didn’t have that sort experience the two times we stayed at POR! And we really like the place, but we drive now. No buses.

I’ve never stayed value but after doing a deluxe after years of moderate stays I don’t even want to go back to moderate. I rented points for BWV next trip. We will most likely do POFQ for two nights before our BWV stay but I would prefer a deluxe.

In the future I think we will do deluxe or offsite.

I have never done values and we mostly stay at the Poly. We are going for a quick 4 day trip in January and staying at a value. Hopefully we will like it.

We have found the biggest difference is between Values and Moderates. We don't feel as much of a difference between Moderates and Deluxes. But yes, once we experienced going to a Moderate we have not gone back to the Values. Although we would stay Value again, we now budget for a Moderate.

I agree. A value is a themed motel; the moderates are where Disney properties start feeling like resorts. We still stay value sometimes because we've had some pretty commando trips and the resort amenities don't matter when it is just a place to sleep between EMH nights and rope drop mornings, but for us the moderates are the "sweet spot" between price and amenities. I feel like with the deluxes the main advantage over the mods is location, and while that can be nice it isn't something we're willing to pay the premium for every time. The mods have the amenities we care about, specifically the better pools and queen size beds.

I agree except I do see a huge difference between moderates & monorail deluxes mostly b/c of transportation & room size. We love Poly & just find it hard to go back to moderate now. But, we recently stayed in Beach Club & didn’t see to much difference betwen that & POR.

I agree except I do see a huge difference between moderates & monorail deluxes mostly b/c of transportation & room size. We love Poly & just find it hard to go back to moderate now. But, we recently stayed in Beach Club & didn’t see to much difference betwen that & POR.

We just booked a night at the Poly at the end of our next trip -- I'm afraid I'll never want to go back to anywhere else!

We just booked a night at the Poly at the end of our next trip -- I'm afraid I'll never want to go back to anywhere else!
That happened to us! I didn’t even like GF. Thought it just felt like an overpriced POR. IMO, Poly has the most unique decor. And it has the best transportation too in my opinion. Monorail to MK, walk to TTC or monorail to Epcot, & first to p/u on bus for DHS & AK.

Booked the Poly for our first family trip in 2007. Decided to splurge as we thought it would be a once-in-a-long-time trip (kids were 3 & 5). Thought we might go once then when they were young and then once older so do it right. Well....fast forward to our 6th trip booked for next November, all at the Poly! We've traveled with other who have stayed elsewhere and so visited, but nothing compares for us. We feel like we get the fun, a little hectic Disney vacation and the relaxing, laid-back tropical vacation all in one.

So, yes, be careful with any splurges, you may end up hooked!!

We did a crazy leap. After multiple trips only at Values, we got a 2bedroom Villa at Saratoga Springs. And then cemented the difference by staying our last night at All Star Music lol. The Villa was REALLY soundproofed well. My kids couldn't even hear us telling instructions from the master bedroom. I joked that I got more tired walking back and forth within the Villa than I did in the parks!

It was very nice, but if the price is right, we'll be back in the Values in the future.

We're a value family. We like to go to Disney frequently, so we try to stay in the least expensive accommodations on property as possible. We have no complaints about the values -- love them.

But our last trip we took our niece, so we had a family of 5. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and I have to say -- I was shocked. I just did not expect there to be such a large difference between the values and the moderates. Everything was just so much nicer from the finishes to the beds to the landscaping. I feel kind of silly for being so shocked about it, but here I am. And I didn't think I would, but I absolutely loved the multiple bus stops. Getting off the bus at the end of the day and literally walking 30 seconds to the door of our room was awesome.

This isn't to say we won't stay at a value ever again. I have a special place in my heart for them and I'm sure we will, but I think I will try and budget moderates from now on, especially as my small kids grow older. Makes me afraid to take the leap to Deluxe -- we may never go back!

We've never stayed at a value, but have stayed mod and deluxe and there is definitely a difference between the categories. Glad you had a great time and enjoyed POR :).

Booked the Poly for our first family trip in 2007. Decided to splurge as we thought it would be a once-in-a-long-time trip (kids were 3 & 5). Thought we might go once then when they were young and then once older so do it right. Well....fast forward to our 6th trip booked for next November, all at the Poly! We've traveled with other who have stayed elsewhere and so visited, but nothing compares for us. We feel like we get the fun, a little hectic Disney vacation and the relaxing, laid-back tropical vacation all in one.

So, yes, be careful with any splurges, you may end up hooked!!

We feel the same way about the Poly! We like trying different resorts and have loved all of the ones we've tried, but the Poly will always be our favorite :goodvibes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!