Would you consider this line cutting?

? :confused3
Of course I am not going to cut random people b/c I feel that "sense of entitlement" that we walk about so much here on the DIS, but kids needing to go potty/get changed, I feel there's an excpetion.

Sorry I am not seeing where I said I had a problem with a parent leaving a line to take a child potty.

Indiana Rose Lee said:
Whining because you can't have the same experiences as someone else is childish. If one doesn't want to go solo, don't go. Nothing necessitates going to Disneyworld alone. There aren't any victims. There are just differnces.
sigh... Victims??????? Just like you, I want to go to Walt Disney World. I do go. I will continue to go.
I know nobody who has (a) the same travel interest (b) the same vacation schedule (c) the same budget as I (d) with whom I want to travel. Therefore, I must go alone. On the rare occasions I have been with people - not entire trips, but a day here, an evening there - we have stayed together; or we have started the day together and split into smaller groups; or (the night before Pleasure Island closed) I waited on the patio at Adventurers' Club on an ECV while my friends waited in line, and when they got to the door we all entered together - so there was NO question about when it was our "turn". We did that by choice, in consideration of all the OTHER Guests. We weren't at Walt Disney World, or at Pleasure Island, or at Adventurers Club, alone. We were there with thousands of other Guests.

Therefore, I'm having a difficult time understanding why other people refuse to be considerate of their fellow Guests: "It's MY table and you can't have it, I don't CARE if my food won't be here until ten minutes after you're done eating!"; "It's MY vacation and if I want to hold spaces in line for my nineteen little cousins so they can go on other rides and show up here at the last minute I will and the HECK with you having to wait for the next show!"; "I was here first and I'm going to lie flat on the curb and take up six spaces so nobody else can have a front row view of the parade, deal with it!"

Explain, again, why the solo parent with small children, or the solo traveler - the Guest who doesn't have the advantage of numbers - is relegated to second-class status, or, worse, told not to go to Walt Disney World, by those with larger parties???? Trust me, despite your experience, any 'perks' you recall from traveling solo - and was that TRULY solo, or simply without kids/spouse but instead meeting up with friends? - are far outweighed by the negative experiences / treatment recieved from larger groups.

Well when I see "wait in line like everyone else" those people who left are no longer "waiting in line like everyone else"

I honestly think you are just looking to argue. Sigh.

Most of us see there is a difference between pushing past people to gain a spot in line when you were not up there to begin with, and having to leave for an emergency potty break. Do you really not understand the difference? In the first, you never had a spot and therefore are adding a body to the line. In the second, that child already had a spot, therefore is not adding an additional person to the line when they come back.

Which would you rather have 100 people pushing in front of you to catch up to their families, or 100 people leave for a potty break and then rejoin the line where they left? It is simple math really. Would you rather have an additional 100 people in front of you or the same number of people in front of you?

Awwww. I get it. Lol, we are obviously not going to see eye to eye due to your not having experienced both. You choose not to attempt
to see the other side. I've lived both sides.

Awwww. I get it. Lol, we are obviously not going to see eye to eye due to your not having experienced both. You choose not to attempt

You are assuming where you shouldn't.:rolleyes:

No matter how you slice it, it is rude to push past people in line in order to gain a spot you were never in. That is the definition of Line Cutting, and a pretty rotten thing to do to others. If you want to ride together, then enter the line together, not in parts. Easy.

Say it with me...

"I am in Disney, the happiest place on earth. IF a FP runner or mommy with a little one who had to go potty has to cut me to catch up with their family in line ahead of me, I will not be upset. I will be happy that I have a meal in front of me and a drink in the scorching heat."

Seriously, can't we just be happy that we're in Disney? There's people that will never get to have this experience. Are there times that I get annoyed at Disney if someone shoves me without saying excuse me? Yes, but does it ruin my vacation? No! If people are sitting at a table waiting for another person from their party to arrive with food while I have my tray in my hand, o well, its life, I am sure someone is getting up soon or I'll find a bench.
Its life, just enjoy your Disney vacation.

Say it with me- "I will be kind to others and wait just like everyone else. Just because I am on vacation does not mean a vacation from common sense".

I will realise I am at the Happiest place on Earth-but so are these OTHER people. I will set a good example for my child and SHOW them how to be patient. I will enjoy the time I spend with my family on vacation (isn't that kind of the point?):thumbsup2

I honestly think you are just looking to argue. Sigh.

Most of us see there is a difference between pushing past people to gain a spot in line when you were not up there to begin with, and having to leave for an emergency potty break. Do you really not understand the difference? In the first, you never had a spot and therefore are adding a body to the line. In the second, that child already had a spot, therefore is not adding an additional person to the line when they come back.

Which would you rather have 100 people pushing in front of you to catch up to their families, or 100 people leave for a potty break and then rejoin the line where they left? It is simple math really. Would you rather have an additional 100 people in front of you or the same number of people in front of you?

Nope, not looking to argue.
Look at the 2 quotes above. After what I had said the poster after me replied (IMHO) kinda snarky. Like as though perhaps I was being rude? But whatever, guess it's all subjective. So in Aug, I'm just going to enjoy myself like I always do. :yay:

Say it with me...

"I am in Disney, the happiest place on earth. IF a FP runner or mommy with a little one who had to go potty has to cut me to catch up with their family in line ahead of me, I will not be upset. I will be happy that I have a meal in front of me and a drink in the scorching heat."

Seriously, can't we just be happy that we're in Disney? There's people that will never get to have this experience. Are there times that I get annoyed at Disney if someone shoves me without saying excuse me? Yes, but does it ruin my vacation? No! If people are sitting at a table waiting for another person from their party to arrive with food while I have my tray in my hand, o well, its life, I am sure someone is getting up soon or I'll find a bench.
Its life, just enjoy your Disney vacation.

Say it with me "I still need to have manners even when I am in WDW."

It's interesting that you've experienced both types of travel, yet refuse to consider now that solo parents traveling with small children who can't be left alone (in a line, at a table, etc) and solo travelers are your equals, not second-tier visitors to be beaten to tables, to be taken advantage of in your party's ability to be in two places at once when we can't...

I try really hard to be considerate of all of the rude and inconsiderate people around me. We live in a society of ego-centric people, and I hope I am not one of them!! I try to teach my children to return rudeness with kindness. I love Disney and refuse to let what others do ruin my mood. When I start getting irritated when I get pushed or shoved, , it is a sign that I NEED A BREAK !!!!! Hopefully there will be a table at a QS that I can rest at while my DH gets me a cold soda!:rolleyes1

It's interesting that you've experienced both types of travel, yet refuse to consider now that solo parents traveling with small children who can't be left alone (in a line, at a table, etc) and solo travelers are your equals, not second-tier visitors to be beaten to tables, to be taken advantage of in your party's ability to be in two places at once when we can't...

Not everyone can have the same experiences. I don't get why everything in life has to be "fair." It is impossible. If you travel alone you can carry your food. If you travel with kids you have to balance your and theirs. Should they make you carry extra stuff just to make it fair? A lame example I know but I am just illustrating a point. Everyone makes due the best they can.

I find it interesting that you feel a solo traveler will always have a hard time with these things. Neither DH or myself have ever had an issue with this and we've both traveled solo as well as solo parent with child. Heck DH took our older DS when he was 2.5, all by himself and never had any troubles at all and a 2.5yr old is no help at all when it comes to finding a table! LOL

I've done it both ways and found solo travel to be a breeze in comparison to getting 6 people around and fed. I guess it's all about perspective and experiences.

And I can say for certain I've never been trampled by any kids (other than my own ;) ) when lining up for characters.

And with that I'm signing off as we're having a major t-storm w/ lightening all over the place. Going to go hide under a blanket with the kids now! :eek:

Give it time. I am sure they will call me the same. They can't right now though because they stepped off line to get a drink and a fastpass.:rotfl:
No. Food. Or. Drinks. In. The. Attraction. Lines. Eat BEFORE you get in line - and drink after you exit the attraction, thereby cutting down on the emergency potty runs.

See what you made me do? I detest when people make a sentence out of each individual word simply to emphasize their point :rotfl2:

[/QUOTE]
delmar411 said:
I find it interesting that you feel a solo traveler will always have a hard time with these things.
Well, I have the added disadvantage of trying to do all this with an ECV - something I haven't wanted to stress until now (yes, I realize I mentioned it, once, not in relation to any attraction or food venue). So most of the time I get to:
Navigate the line for food
Order/pay
Get tray of food
Hold tray with one hand
Steer and operate throttle with other hand, including 90º turn to exit food counter
Start search for table
Continue balancing tray with left hand (no, the ECV isn't constructed to balance the tray, and I don't care to wear my food)
Steer and drive with right hand
Proceed slowly through and around table area, avoiding people, avoiding chairs sticking out in 'walk'way, peering around seated people for empty or soon to be empty tab- oops, don't run over the little kid who just ran in front of you! Oh, there's a group of people getting up... phooey, while they were walking across my path, that couple who just walked into the restaurant grabbed the table... inch way around dining room further. Stop to rest exhausted left arm. Try changing hands; hold tray with right hand, steer with left. Table sighting! Rats, if that lady hadn't pushed her chair away from the table and blocked my path, I might have had a place to put the tray...

No, really, I'm NOT exaggerating. Been there, done that. When somebody can validly explain to me how it's reasonable - not fair, merely reasonable - that I have to wait until, or come back at, 8 PM to eat dinner at a table in a counter service location when all the multi-person parties are able to hold empty tables for twenty minutes before they even have food (while I'm circling around WITH food but no table for twenty minute); or why I have to wait in line twice if I have a 'bathroom emergency' but groups can simply catch up with the rest of their party... well, I'll drop out of this thread.

Most of those complaints have more to do with the ecv, and the invisible nature of such. I have done disney in an ecv alone before. Three days at DL. There were rides I couldn't ride because I couldn't transfer alone, etc. I ordered food or drink based on what I could deal with on my own. I could complain about not having the same experience or enjoy the fact that when all the benches were full I could park my cart under a tree and enjoy a mickey bar.

I have never had a 20 minute wait at a qs restaurant at Disney. 5, yes. But that is due to good planning on my part. That 5 minutes in our lives consists of finding enough chairs to huddle around a single table, Getting the little ones settled, making room for my mom and her ecv, etc. That time would be taken to do those things regardless of when we start. The table will be occupied for the 20 minutes. It isn't shortened if we waited the extra 5. The time just comes off the other side. That is what you don't realize, not having experienced it.

Per single parents with kids, I have run around as a single with 9 kids including one with severe disabilities. You just take the circumstances, and deal with them. You plan well, and roll with what life throws your way. Would that parent benefit from having their kiddos set up when the food comes. Yes. Do you always have someone to do so? No. So, you make a picnic, find a chair without a table, keep the kiddos in the stroller. See the line, whip out the snackie bag, and wait an hour. Whatever. It is not difference than dealing with the same issues outside of Disney. Most moms or primary care dads know the ropes and how to deal with them.

I know that you will not agree with my post. Seeing two sides of an issue is difficult.

ps. In my world if you have a bathroom emergency you are welcome to rejoin the line. But that is how I see the world.:) It is about being kind and having compassion. And, my family will be the first to grab a door, offer a chair or to carry something for you, or to step back and clear space in a crowd. They understand a brother in a wheelchair with cp, a grandma in a wheelchair due to complications from chemo, and a mom who is occasionally confined due to my issues.

My vacation happiness has nothing to do with getting a table or a place in line. We have had too much real tragedy to do anything but smile, be grateful, and appreciate the opportunity to be with one another.

The parties of one or two absolutely don't have the same opportunity to walk around and prereserve a table. The parent traveling with just young children absolutely doesn't have the same opportunity to grab a table in advance that larger groups do.

It's not a preference. It's taking advantage of one's party size to the detriment of others, with zero consideration of those others.

Respectfully, the table in your dining room is your table; the table in my kitchen is my table. The table in Cosmic Ray's? That's Walt Disney World's table.

ok ok you shamed me into not doing this anymore.........:headache: OK NOT REALLY....we have never not been able to find tables at wdw...we were at comic rays in April and the place was almost empty...people have VERY dif thoughts on this subject and people are not going to change their minds so be it.We will continue to get a table while we order and you can continue not to and think its rude.
There are no signs up and not really a rule (maybe they ASK people to get the food first when it is real busy who knows but they are not going to start kicking people out for it)...its just another one of those things that random people think they can control.It takes a whole 2 minutes for one of us to go through the line without the kids so if people want to whine that they should get that 2 minutes fine go ahead....and if it sooo rude man there are ALOT of rude people at wdw because there were people saving tables in every place we went in.I did not see one person walking around with a tray of food because they could not find a table.

Am I the only one who thinks this thread wandered into the pointless and ridiculous several pages ago?

This group think this is rude... another group thinks it isn't, but this is... another group agrees with the first, but only to a certain extent... the fourth group agrees with none of the above, and proposes this...

Arguing here on the board won't result in anyone's mind being changed, or from people having differing opinions on what is and is not acceptable behavior. The problem is, everyone does not follow the same "Miss Manners" rule of conduct. That's just not going to happen.

The best advice is from those who say to just enjoy your time in spite of the perceived or real rudeness of others because bottom line, you can't do anything about it anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter