Would you consider this line cutting?

ms_missy66

Official WDW Addict
This is my 10th trip to WDW and over the course of the last two weeks, I've seen at least ten people do something that I consider line cutting.

A few family members will get in line while, hypothetically, Dad will run off to some cart to get drinks. Then Mom and the kids are half-way through the line, Dad does this "excuse me, pardon me...my family is up there" deal to join them.

On some occassions it hasn't really bothered me - especially when the fmaily is like two parties in from the end. Or there Dad's presence doesn't really hold up the line because of the ride seating. It's when Dad (or whoever) brings six more people with him. We were getting on the Kilamanjaro Safari the other day. There were eight people from a party about to load the vehicle when they stopped the whole show so that another nine people from their party in various parts of the line could join them. I mean, seriously? It didn't appear that anyone needed special help. None of them were small children, perhaps separated from their parents. What's annoying me most is that the CMs aren't saying anything. I'm not sure why they wouldn't ask the ones about to board to step aside until the rest of their party makes it through the line.

We're definitely that family who has Dad run to get Soarin' fastpasses while we head to Test Track. I've gotten in line a few times, hoping he'd join us quickly, but when he didn't, I'd excuse us and get at the end again. 90% of the time, we just wait at the end. So what is up with this new phenomena? It's so prevelant this trip!

Am I just being impatient or is this cutting? And just for the record, I have yet to feel like it was a big enough to deal to throw a hissy fit about it. I'm just annoyed. At Kilmanjaro, random people were hollering out to the CM, "I'm with their party too!" LOL

I would say yes with most circumstances unless they had a GAC or a medical need that required them to get in and out of line. Which could be the case as not all medical needs are visible.

But it's happened to us so frequently - usually with teens saying 'oh my friends are up there' that we won't let them ahead of us and tell them their friends can move back and join them. Or they'll sometimes play the "I'm from another country" card.

What's a GAC? And you're totally right about not all medical conditions being visible. We heard some folks behind us complaining about a family that was let in the front of the line at Astro Orbitor...until they saw they all had Make-A-Wish buttons on. :-(

What's a GAC? And you're totally right about not all medical conditions being visible. We heard some folks behind us complaining about a family that was let in the front of the line at Astro Orbitor...until they saw they all had Make-A-Wish buttons on. :-(

Guest Assistance Card - it's not a front of the line card at all, some times people get the incorrect impression that it'll bump them to the front or some how magically shorten wait times and it doesn't do that. But it is useful for those who are disabled and getting those needs accomidated.

GAC = Guest Assistance Card. It's a document provided by guest services that assists cast members serving the guest. There's more about this on the DisAbilities discussion board.

We always wait for each other before entering the line. If DH takes DS6 to the restroom, DS12 and I wait for them and we all get in line together. On most rides, a couple of minutes won't make a significant difference. I don't see the point in letting them cut in line and annoying people to shave 5 minutes off my wait time.

We just got back last week and to be honest, it was annoying. A few times I would just announce "line cutter coming through" and the cutter would at least have the good grace to look sheepish while they cut and I felt better.

One person (or even two - like a Mom taking a child to the potty) dont bother me. It's the large groups that do it that get on my nerves.

Yes. Whether or not it bothers me doesn't matter. Getting in line anywhere but the end is cutting in line.

A parent who leaves the line to take care of the needs of a child, needs a drink, needs to potty, diaper needs changing ect doesn't bother me in the least. It has happened to all of us at some point no matter how well we have planned. I am bothered by Dad waiting in line while mom and the kids do something else and expecting to have them join him later, and by a group of peole pushing through to join a group already in line.

Yup! I would consider it line cutting too! And I would be irritated, especially if it was a long wait! To quote my kids "it's just not fair!!"

my daugher is still working on potty training but looks old enough to be trained because she is big for her age... last time we had to work our way back to my husband in the fairy autograph line due to potty issues... I got the NASTIEST looks from a couple of people... but why should we have to wait in line twice? so long as hubby stays in line while we deal with issues.... I felt terrible as it was the nasty looks just made it so much worse.

My DH had to jump out of the middle of the line twice this last trip to take DS to the restroom. DD and I just waited in the line (same spot) and let people pass by us until they came back to join in (there happened to be an easy exit/entrance spot at each of the rides I am talking about, so no, he didn't have to make his way in/out of a huge line). People didn't seem to mind. I just explained to them to go on ahead of us, due to the situation. When it is hot outside, you want your kids to stay hydrated and drink, but that also means trouble with small bladders and long lines. Oh, and we made sure if we had to stand in a long line, the kids went to the bathroom BEFORE we got in it...so this was another trip on top of the one before we even got in the line. Things like this don't bother me, but getting out of lines for drinks or snacks probably wouldn't set right with me (unless, of course, they are buying for me and everyone else) :rotfl:

This is a topic that is soo rehashed on these boards, but really does need addressed at the parks.
No one should be able to move ahead in line. Not for any reason. Flame suit on, but really..moving up in line is cutting, even if its to be with your friends or family. I mean, who ELSE would you be meeting. Of COURSE its your party. YOUR party left you behind. You cannot hold someones place in line at a place as busy and as hectic as disney.
If it were a line at a bar, it would be a different story. People would not put up with it at all.Could you imagine? how about if it was at McDonalds, or the bank?
The only reason its not enforced it because its Disney and no one wants the conflict. Its time for people in line to start making a fuss about it, because it is out of place. It really could affect the posted wait times, if each person in line were met by someone else who had something better to do than hold their own place in line.
I wont have it. I wont get thrown out of the parks for protesting, but believe me, i wont have that.

OP here and I just spent the evening in MK. In just these few hours, three separate groups of people did this nonsense at Small World, two separate groups did it on Snow White, a whole family did it at Tomorrowland Speedway and two people did it at Buzz Lightyear. In six hours, I saw it EIGHT times! Combining all of my trips, I've literally spent months of my life at WDW and it's never been this bad.

If someone would say to me, "Oh shoot, my little one has to go potty. Would you mind?" Heck no. Been there and had that same little one doing the pee pee dance at the front of a line. No biggie. This family on Tomorrowland Speedway literally crowded and pushed us and kept trying to edge around us. We were putting up a good defense in blocking until hubby got loose coming around a corner and literally five of them went by. Then we were up on the overpass where the two lines separate. All ten of so of them decided that was a better option and literally took down the chain and walked in front of another family. The Dad made a big announcement, "Would anyone else like to change lines and get in front of us?" The cutting family acted oblivious.

Then on Buzz Lightyear, we were cruising up the fastpass line. A woman and her two children hops out of the longer 50 minute line, comes up to the front of the FP, makes this big show about now having any and then, right in front of the CM, climbs back over into the general line...20 minutes or more ahead of where she started two seconds prior.

Tomorrow is our last day so I won't let it ruin anything for me, but I've got my "No, I won't excuse you, but your party is welcome to meet you behind us" all tucked away in my pocket, ready for quick use next time I get the opportunity. My girls are the ones that are having the hardest time with it. :-(

On a totally unrelated note, we were on the bridge to Tomorrowland this evening and had the BEST view of Tink flying during the fireworks! Then 30 minutes later, my younger DD went to Toon Town to meet the fairies and she was just over the moon. Those two things made my trip!

I'm shocked by how upset everyone is by this. We are getting ready for our first trip so I have no prior experience and maybe it is a major problem, but I'm just surprised by how angry and rude everyone seems. I wouldn't ever think of sending one person ahead while the rest of our group did something else and then get in line at the end and walk past everyone to the front. I would have most of the party wait in line while I or someone else did something quick and then joined the rest shortly. I go to Six Flags every 2 weeks or so and this has never been an issue for me or anyone else. My mom may stop at a cart outside the ride to grab a soda and then join the kids and I in line a few minutes later. If anyone ever blocked the way and wouldn't let her up with us and told her to have us come back to meet her I would think that person was extremely rude! To my knowledge this has never been considered rude, I have let people pass me and I have passed others, not really a big deal in life. I agree it would be annoying if a large group was going past to meet 1 person and it was a significant space between them and their group, but I would just think they were jerks as they went by. I'd never try to keep them behind me. What kind of a horrible line waiting experience is that for you when people who are annoyed with you are constantly trying to wiggle around you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter