Would I qualify for DAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not saying this is the situation with the OP, I'm not going to judge based on a thread. But as I read this and other threads, about heat, or unable to walk miles throughout the day, or age etc...

Isn't part of the answer to reset your own expectations? I know for instance even a trip to the mall could be uneventful for my Mom or could require extended periods of sitting due to pain. A trip to Disney would require a wheelchair but depending on the day she may get up and wait on line. I know when I go to WDW, not being as young as I use to, the heat really gets to me, so I avoid midday at the parks or adjust our plans for the day.

Uummm...actually have you seen the signs at the stores that offer assistance to disabled shoppers??? Saying if you need help to please ask and one of the employees will assist you with whatever needs you have???
I guess I need to snap a few photos and post them on here to show you how the stores offer to help a disabled shopper....At least around here!!!!
and the store can chose how they help the disabled some will walk around with you and help you out some will ask you to do what you can then you go and tell them what you need help with then they get you the things you needed help with ( like if you are in a wheel chair and can not reach something) some will have you give them your list of what you need. so depending on the store time of day the accommodation could be different.

I have a friend in a wheel chair most of the time they tell her to shop and if she need help getting something she is to ask. I have another friend who is blind they most of the time will walk around with her and she will tell them what she needs some if they are really busy she gives them a list and they will grab things for her ( I think she tell them before she comes or only come at slow times) dose this mean they have to walk around with my friend in a wheel chair and help her out like they do my friend who is blind no if my friend in a week chair wants someone to walk around with her can she ask yes can they say no yes just like disney can say no to some one who want one kind of accommodation

but what does this have to do with mobility standing sitting too long this is what disney says just about 95% of the time so people with mobility walking standing need to use the tools disney will give them to enjoy as much of there day as they would like.

I wouldn't equate helping someone shop for an hour two with being in a theme park for hours on end. Sorry if it sounds mean but Disney shouldn't be expected to offer that type of assistance.
You are missing my point!! By forcing a particular accommodation on certain people they are making them dependent on others thereby taking their independence away from them which is wrong IMO. Again, my opinion, you don't have to agree with it, but it does not make me wrong.

and the store can chose how they help the disabled some will walk around with you and help you out some will ask you to do what you can then you go and tell them what you need help with then they get you the things you needed help with ( like if you are in a wheel chair and can not reach something) some will have you give them your list of what you need. so depending on the store time of day the accommodation could be different.

I have a friend in a wheel chair most of the time they tell her to shop and if she need help getting something she is to ask. I have another friend who is blind they most of the time will walk around with her and she will tell them what she needs some if they are really busy she gives them a list and they will grab things for her ( I think she tell them before she comes or only come at slow times) dose this mean they have to walk around with my friend in a wheel chair and help her out like they do my friend who is blind no if my friend in a week chair wants someone to walk around with her can she ask yes can they say no yes just like disney can say no to some one who want one kind of accommodation

but what does this have to do with mobility standing sitting too long this is what disney says just about 95% of the time so people with mobility walking standing need to use the tools disney will give them to enjoy as much of there day as they would like.
Another poster started this comparison, NOT ME!! I just stated what I have seen stores do as an accommodation because that other poster implied one would be responsible for bringing their own assistant and I begged to differ with them on that point. Maybe you should be asking DisneyOma why she used that as a comparison since she brought it up first?? ;)

In the end, I just feel bad for the people who deserve one, but I am finding (and recommending) that with the Internet there are SO MANY other places people can go besides the Dis for help!! They are getting more lenient on DAS handouts. I am seeing it when I renew mine. I haven't been asked any questions since the first time I got a DAS and I have renewed it over a dozen times.

Last edited:
You are missing my point!! By forcing a particular accommodation on certain people they are making them dependent on others thereby taking their independence away from them which is wrong IMO. Again, my opinion, you don't have to agree with it, but it does not make me wrong.

Another poster started this comparison, NOT ME!! I just stated what I have seen stores do as an accommodation because that other poster implied one would be responsible for bringing their own assistant and I begged to differ with them on that point. Maybe you should be asking DisneyOma why she used that as a comparison since she brought it up first?? ;)

In the end, I just feel bad for the people who deserve one, but I am finding (and recommending) that with the Internet there are SO MANY other places people can go besides the Dis for help!! They are getting more lenient on DAS handouts. I am seeing it when I renew mine. I haven't been asked any questions since the first time I got a DAS and I have renewed it over a dozen times.
was just add to what you said about store and that they can chose how they help people with disabilities and they can chose what kinds of help they give them is all I am not saying you are right or wrong or any thing like that I ws just adding to what you were saying.

I got my first DAS card right after it came out that time was a living H--- you get the point to get one infect I left with out one then was back with in an hour because I was having too many problems and it pretty much ruined the day for me the next time it took a little explaining but the CM listen to me ( and I know a little better what I need to say what happens to me extra then I did the first time) then after the first two times it was just been can i have a das card or I need to renew my DAS card. I wish they would ask more question to get one renewed. I have also been when someone in wheel chair has come up and say they are disabled and need the disability pass, I have been there when people with no apparent disability ( and yes I do not some are not seen I look like I do not have a disability until I start to have problems) and ask for the disability pass, my favorite one was the main who said I do not want to wait in lines what can you give me. now I did not stay around for the whole conversation and 2 of these time I was having a complete meant down so I could have misses something so I am not sure if they were asked / gave more information to the CM.

OP's question has been asked and answered. OP returned to indicate she would be using a rollator.

Arguing over what appears to be hypothetical situations, preferences or opinions is not helpful to anyone. As has been stated many times, WDW's general response with regards to mobility or stamina issues is to suggest use of a mobility device. It appears this accommodation is appropriate for the vast majority of mobility/stamina concerns. If any given individual has further needs, complicated needs, and/or finds the mobility device does not solve the challenges -- WDW welcomes that person to return to Guest Relations and discuss the specifics of why it doesn't work; further accommodation would be determined on a case-by-case basis.

I think the thread has run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter