Would I qualify for DAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are ways to raise the handles of a wheelchair so one does not get hunched over pushing it. There are extenders, etc. There's no rule stating one has to stay in the wheelchair for any length of time. It's just there when needed, especially at WDW where there is very little open seating around the parks, and none in line. Also, even using the FP+ queue, etc, there are other times where there is a lot of standing still, or where one would need to have a little space maintained to pace.

I understand that there are ways to make the wheelchair route slightly less painful for me. But I know my injury very well, Disneyland very well, and the circumstances under which I am going very well, and the DAS is a much better option to allow me to stay healthy and enjoy the park.

My real point is that lumping together everyone who has any issue walking or standing without taking into account any other factors and having a single accommodation for them makes no sense. It's like lumping people who are blind and deaf together under the label "sensory issues" and having a single accommodation for them as well. In my case, a wheelchair doesn't help at all. It would just become a thing I'm pushing around all day. Thus, it's not a "reasonable accommodation." The DAS, on the other hand, sounds like it would be the perfect because it would allow me to spend more time in motion than no accommodation, and wouldn't burden me with a piece of furniture that my young son would use but I really wouldn't (their "accommodation). So it sounds like my only option is to have plenty of pain medication at the ready and expect my time to be fairly limited. Doped up was not how I had hoped to spend my boy's first trip to DL.

If I sound frustrated, it's because I am. Every trip (probably 2 dozen over 25 years) has been a gamble for me because of my invisible handicap and because they cannot look at documentation (which I have always carried with me). Back when they had the GAC, it meant I was at the mercy of whichever CM I got and how they felt or perceived me. Most of the time it worked out, but sometimes it didn't. Now the new system seems to have left me out entirely--precisely because it's taken discretion out of the system by creating a class of people that is actually very diverse. (sigh)

Scooterbritches:

I have a similar problem: sciatica and arthritis in my hips and back. The problem isn't walking--regular walking is actually really therapeutic. It's standing or sitting still for any length of time . Basically, a wheelchair or ECV is out because if I'm in it too long, I lose the ability to walk AT ALL for the day--a risk I cannot run while travelling. Pushing a wheelchair would also exacerbate the problem because I'd be hunched over rather than walking upright. "Mobility issue" is a bit to broad a term for everyone who cannot stand in a line, and "wheelchair" isn't a solution for everyone they put under that broad term. :( Seems like they are doing a good job at trying to tailor accomodations for many people...having a kneejerk reaction to this one seems a bit odd.

I think that the number of people with a condition that causes them to need to be in motion most of the time is pretty low. You can stand in a line, but it needs to be moving quite a bit, is that right? I'm struggling to come up with a way they could accommodate you, other than giving you immediate access to rides, which is most likely out of the question.

Here is the thing with the new DAS system: You need to be able to explain what kind of accommodation you need. And I'm not sure what solution they can offer for someone who has to be in motion most of the time.

I understand that there are ways to make the wheelchair route slightly less painful for me. But I know my injury very well, Disneyland very well, and the circumstances under which I am going very well, and the DAS is a much better option to allow me to stay healthy and enjoy the park.

My real point is that lumping together everyone who has any issue walking or standing without taking into account any other factors and having a single accommodation for them makes no sense. It's like lumping people who are blind and deaf together under the label "sensory issues" and having a single accommodation for them as well. In my case, a wheelchair doesn't help at all. It would just become a thing I'm pushing around all day. Thus, it's not a "reasonable accommodation." The DAS, on the other hand, sounds like it would be the perfect because it would allow me to spend more time in motion than no accommodation, and wouldn't burden me with a piece of furniture that my young son would use but I really wouldn't (their "accommodation). So it sounds like my only option is to have plenty of pain medication at the ready and expect my time to be fairly limited. Doped up was not how I had hoped to spend my boy's first trip to DL.

If I sound frustrated, it's because I am. Every trip (probably 2 dozen over 25 years) has been a gamble for me because of my invisible handicap and because they cannot look at documentation (which I have always carried with me). Back when they had the GAC, it meant I was at the mercy of whichever CM I got and how they felt or perceived me. Most of the time it worked out, but sometimes it didn't. Now the new system seems to have left me out entirely--precisely because it's taken discretion out of the system by creating a class of people that is actually very diverse. (sigh)
Some one who can not see or hear may not qualify for a DAS it is base on need

There is no 'lumping' - Disney is just not giving out the DAS to people with mobility issues as there are other ways to handle mobility issues.

You wouldn't have to push the wheelchair around if you didn't need it - you could leave it in stroller parking for a time. If you had others with you, they could push it too.

Thre are many solutions for mobility issues. Disney is stating that the guest has the ability to access those solutions to use in the park. "Reasonable Accommodation" is all they have to offer. They do not have to offer you the ability to stay in the parks all day, etc.

OP, I am so glad you have access to a walker with a seat, as I was reading through the thread I kept going back to that being what I thought would suit you best. In addition to my other issues I have severe spinal OA and a bulging disk and know well how hard it can be to walk again after sitting for a while. Due to many issues I have...fore-arm crutches, a walker/rollator, wheelchair and ECV and I use them all at different times for different things. I am actually younger than you by your stated age and have been using all of these aids for over 10 years and I can clearly recall how upset I was when being forced to use them, it is very hard to admit you need help. It took me years of missing out on activities with my family before I admitted it and am so happy for you that you have found something that you think will work for you. No matter how hard it is to find what you need and allow yourself to use it, it is much harder to "watch from the sidelines" and not enjoy the life you have!!

There is no 'lumping' - Disney is just not giving out the DAS to people with mobility issues as there are other ways to handle mobility issues.

You wouldn't have to push the wheelchair around if you didn't need it - you could leave it in stroller parking for a time. If you had others with you, they could push it too.

Thre are many solutions for mobility issues. Disney is stating that the guest has the ability to access those solutions to use in the park. "Reasonable Accommodation" is all they have to offer. They do not have to offer you the ability to stay in the parks all day, etc.
But herein lies one of the issues....
Yes,They are required to make reasonable accommodation for the disabled person. But, If said person cannot push the wheelchair, it is not the responsibility of others to take care of that. What if that person wanted to separate from their party? Disney has made a guest DEPENDENT on others when it is not necessary if they were to potentially meet that guest's need in a more appropriate way. They are "pigeon holing" all mobility issues and it isn't right.

Yes,They are required to make reasonable accommodation for the disabled person. But, If said person cannot push the wheelchair, it is not the responsibility of others to take care of that. What if that person wanted to separate from their party? Disney has made a guest DEPENDENT on others when it is not necessary if they were to potentially meet that guest's need in a more appropriate way. They are "pigeon holing" all mobility issues and it isn't right.

EVCs don't require any pushing.

EVCs don't require any pushing.
Not everyone is suited to drive an ECV nor feels comfortable driving one.!! ;)
Plus the difference is you cannot get off and push it the same as a wheelchair. And have the seat there when you need it so it is not the same. Not an equal comparison. :)

Yes, they make you responsible for your disability in part. If you were going anywhere else, would you expect the accommodations to be any different? Going to the grocery store, would you expect someone at the store to push your cart or would you bring a helper with you? Would you expect to go straight to the cashier when there are 4-5 people already waiting in each queue?

I feel like people just forget reasonable responsibility when they go to WDW.

the OP found a way to make disney work for her and it is a free answer with what accommodation disney will most likely tell her to use with what her disability is. The resion why Disney do not just give you DAS cards to every one who wants one and makes them use another resonail accommodation is because when they had the GAC the line were too long ( I think it was sue has a pend thread with small world the stand by time was 25 minutes and the wheel chair line was much longer about an hour) I have seen other examples of this too so ignorer to help more people they made more lines assessable and introduced the DAS card ( and the whole hiring a disabled person is not the reason for it this just made them move quicker ) and now they have it so if your disability can be accommodated with a mobility device then this is what disney will tell you to use. This is to prevent the longer lines that would take place as the FP making a good number of people unable to do disney at all ( on recent trips I have even had to get out of line when using the FP/ DAS card. and please remember the grass is not alway greener on the other side. one type of accommodation should not allow anyone instant assess to rides.

I am not sure when the OP is going to disney or if they allured have been but I do hope they have a great time and get to do ever thing that they plane to do and have many more fun trips to disney

Not everyone is suited to drive an ECV nor feels comfortable driving one.!! ;)
Plus the difference is you cannot get off and push it the same as a wheelchair. And have the seat there when you need it so it is not the same. Not an equal comparison. :)

I mean, I think we've established that being comfortable with the suggestion doesn't really matter. It's available and it would work. You can't push it, but you can park it. If the person needs a seat readily available at any given time, then it's a wheelchair. Being upset someone they're traveling with might have to push them now doesn't really matter. It's the only way to give them an available seat unless they take it upon themselves to bring another tool. But it's up to them.

No solution is going to be 100% perfect. We've seen plenty of times here even a DAS has its hang ups.

I think the biggest thing I see is people saying a DAS would allow them to move around outside the line as needed with a minimal wait in the FP line. Which is great, but what if that FP line is stopped? If you can't stand still at all or need to sit as needed, what happens then? A bunch of pain, but you'll just deal with it? So it's bad enough to ask for an accommodation but not so bad you can't deal with it when needed?

That's just the way it goes. I don't really know what else to say. Id agree that there might be a few mobility instances that a DAS would be better, but even just on this board the amount of people that say they need to either be in constant motion or have the ability to stop and start is pretty great. When I think about the small fraction of people the DIS represents at wife I imagine that'd be a ton of DAS being handed out - exactly what they want to avoid.

Last edited:
I mean, I think we've established that being comfortable with the suggestion doesn't really matter. It's available and it would work. You can't push it, but you can park it. If the person needs a seat readily available at any given time, then it's a wheelchair. Being upset someone they're traveling with might have to push them now doesn't really matter. It's the only way to give them an available seat unless they take it upon themselves to bring another tool. But it's up to them.

No solution is going to be 100% perfect. We've seen plenty of times here even a DAS has its hang ups. with my disabilities I am still trying to make things work for me with the DAS no it is not perfect yes I do need things it dose not provide yes I still struggle a lot will any thing at disney be perfect no but we have to take what disney gives us and find a way to make it work for us. there are time I can not do something because I can not even get a return time. ( the area is too crowded I would love to be able to go to a kiosk and get a return time)

I think the biggest thing I see is people saying a DAS would allow them to move around outside the line as needed with a minimal wait in the FP line. Which is great, but what if that FP line is stopped? If you can't stand still at all or need to sit as needed, what happens then? A bunch of pain, but you'll just deal with it? So it's bad enough to ask for an accommodation but not so bad you can't deal with it when needed? my last trip I was having a really good day so I went on a ride that had a 25 minute wait ( without using the DAS card from walking on to going past the merge part took maybe 5 minute ( I never stopped walking ) after that point it was take 5 steps stop for any where from 5 to 10 minute ( the line took 45 minute and yes I did have problems after the ride) any one that needed to be constantly moving would have had a very hard time with a FP/DAS card on this one. I also have a friend that I go with a lot she has said you do more standing after the merge point then before it.

That's just the way it goes. I don't really know what else to say. Id agree that there might be a few mobility instances that a DAS would be better, but even just on this board the amount of people that say they need to either be in constant motion or have the ability to stop and start is pretty great. When I think about the small fraction of people the DIS represents at wife I imagine that'd be a ton of DAS being handed out - exactly what they want to avoid. yes this is what disney is trying to avoid and people are so used to having a disability and then having a pice of people that had you have a disability on it they are used to going up to a ride showing there paper then getting right on it ( and I an not saying this is what people her are saying) but disney has said people with mobility/ need to sit / need to move need a mobility device and it you have one you do not need a paper that say I have a mobility problem since you can see it. I also remember one poster saying they did not want to use a wheel chair because they had the same problem ad the OP and they were at the parks and had to sit there was no sets and they were in a great deal of pain the husband found a wheel chair but I think that ruined the rest of the day.

I could not agree any more with this poster I had to add my own thought to it ( in red) and what I have exsprinced I think we all need to relise that no one person with a disability goes to disney and has the perfect accommodation the other side might go wow they have it perfect but in fact they do not we are a group of people that have a disability that is trying to find a way to make it work. would any accommodation be perfect no it would not be dose disney have a policy on what they will do yes they do now we have to take what disney is offering us and find a any to make it work for us and out needs.

By changing the rules for people with mobility issues, Disney is only encouraging guests to embellish their disabilities. They don't require proof, so anyone with Google and a bit of selfishness can tell them they have any number of conditions that would prevent them from waiting in lines. It isn't right, but I am sure it happens every day. The same people who rented a disabled person back in the old days will be creative with their excuses to get a pass. There really is no good way to prevent the abuse.

Wheelchair and ECV are not the only mobility options. Those are the only options WDW has as onsite rental, but WDW allows people to bring a large variety of mobility devices into the parks without renting onsite. One may rent offsite or borrow from a friend/relative or bring their own. Of off the top of my head other devices allowed include walker, rollator, knee-walker, cane, cane seat, crutches, forearm crutches and stroller; not all are appropriate for all needs and it is the responsibility of the individual to obtain the allowed device that best suits his/her needs.

A rollator works for many people and solves a few potential issues suggested: not being able to drive an ECV, not having a pusher for a wheelchair, not wanting to sit or stand for long periods, preferring to walk, wanting independence to separate from the traveling party.

Wheelchair and ECV are not the only mobility options. Those are the only options WDW has as onsite rental, but WDW allows people to bring a large variety of mobility devices into the parks without renting onsite. One may rent offsite or borrow from a friend/relative or bring their own. Of off the top of my head other devices allowed include walker, rollator, knee-walker, cane, cane seat, crutches, forearm crutches and stroller; not all are appropriate for all needs and it is the responsibility of the individual to obtain the allowed device that best suits his/her needs.

A rollator works for many people and solves a few potential issues suggested: not being able to drive an ECV, not having a pusher for a wheelchair, not wanting to sit or stand for long periods, preferring to walk, wanting independence to separate from the traveling party.
You missed my point. Wheelchair, rollator, whatever it is on wheels... a person who can't push a rolling item can't push a rolling item...regardless of the variety. And what person do you know of that has been successful using crutches in the park for an entire day???
Thankfully I know the ins and outs of the DAS and have never had an issue. But I believe that they have pigeonholed all mobility issues. You do not have to agree but that does not make me wrong!

Last edited:
Yes, they make you responsible for your disability in part. If you were going anywhere else, would you expect the accommodations to be any different? Going to the grocery store, would you expect someone at the store to push your cart or would you bring a helper with you? Would you expect to go straight to the cashier when there are 4-5 people already waiting in each queue?

I feel like people just forget reasonable responsibility when they go to WDW.
Uummm...actually have you seen the signs at the stores that offer assistance to disabled shoppers??? Saying if you need help to please ask and one of the employees will assist you with whatever needs you have???
I guess I need to snap a few photos and post them on here to show you how the stores offer to help a disabled shopper....At least around here!!!!

No solution is going to be 100% perfect. We've seen plenty of times here even a DAS has its hang ups.

I think the biggest thing I see is people saying a DAS would allow them to move around outside the line as needed with a minimal wait in the FP line. Which is great, but what if that FP line is stopped? If you can't stand still at all or need to sit as needed, what happens then? A bunch of pain, but you'll just deal with it? So it's bad enough to ask for an accommodation but not so bad you can't deal with it when needed?

That's just the way it goes. I don't really know what else to say. Id agree that there might be a few mobility instances that a DAS would be better, but even just on this board the amount of people that say they need to either be in constant motion or have the ability to stop and start is pretty great. When I think about the small fraction of people the DIS represents at wife I imagine that'd be a ton of DAS being handed out - exactly what they want to avoid.
. The problem with using "what if the go line stopped" logic is that it applies to anyone usins das for any reason, whether it's a child who seizes in the heat or a child who has a melt down when forced to wait or someone in pain when standing still too long. I agree that most mobility issues don't require a DAS, but I do think there are some that might.

. The problem with using "what if the go line stopped" logic is that it applies to anyone usins das for any reason, whether it's a child who seizes in the heat or a child who has a melt down when forced to wait or someone in pain when standing still too long. I agree that most mobility issues don't require a DAS, but I do think there are some that might.

I think the meltdown and heat issues can be swayed. You can't really much for someone that can't stop, IMO.

The accommodation for someone with difficulty in line is to make the line as short as possible. What do you do for someone that can't stop or needs to sit?

I wouldn't equate helping someone shop for an hour two with being in a theme park for hours on end. Sorry if it sounds mean but Disney shouldn't be expected to offer that type of assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter