Would I qualify for DAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooterbritches

Mouseketeer
Since my last visit to a Disney Park I have developed some pain issues that are exacerbated by standing for long periods, but also exacerbated by sitting for long periods. Sitting also causes a stiffness as well as the pain that makes it difficult to walk after I've been sitting. The best thing that I can do for myself is to be able to shift positions frequently (at least every 20-30 minutes). This means that a wheelchair is not really helpful for me. I actually get along pretty good, especially early in the day, but with repeated waits in line without the opportunity to shift positions, I will be ready to call it a day by noon.

I plan on arriving at rope drop so I can take advantage of low waits on the rides in the morning and using FP+ for rides in the afternoon, which will be great, but we cannot take our high school daughter out of school so we are going the week after Easter which is very busy. I'm afraid the waits in the lines will be long.

I do not want to rent a wheelchair as it will just be in mine and every body else's way because I won't need to use it but maybe half the time. If I used it the other half it would increase my pain and stiffness. We will end up pushing an empty chair through hoards of people. I'm sure everyone will be annoyed with that.

It would be so much better if I could get a DAS card and then do what my body needs to do while I'm virtually waiting whether that be sitting, standing, or walking.

My fear is that they will consider my disability to be mobility related and I will not qualify for a DAS card. I know no one can guarantee me what they will say, but I sure wish I could know because it would alter my plans a lot. I won't be renting a wheelchair even if I don't qualify, but will just do the best I can and leave the parks early. I would need to make plans for afternoon activities somewhere else if they end up not qualifying me for DAS. (We are staying off site and won't have that glorious pool area to hang out in for hours in the afternoons.) But, I won't know until I get there whether they qualify me or not. So frustrating!

As you said, no one here can tell you for sure, but my guess would be no, as this is a mobility issue.

Generally "waiting" in line means more or less constantly moving, albeit slowly. Or moving then stopping. Then moving then stopping. A rollator is relatively inexpensive, smaller and less obstrusive than a wheelchair, and allows you to sit in line when needed, stand at other times, and walk at other times.

Generally "waiting" in line means more or less constantly moving, albeit slowly. Or moving then stopping. Then moving then stopping. A rollator is relatively inexpensive, smaller and less obstrusive than a wheelchair, and allows you to sit in line when needed, stand at other times, and walk at other times.
Do you know if they rent these at Disney or an offsite place? I've actually never heard of it and will have to research what it even is.

A Rollator is a rolling walker with a seat. My MIL has one and they are fantastic.

ETA: Disney Moms Panel says these types of walkers are not rented in the parks but there are places in Orlando that rent them.

I actually think a lightweight portable chair would work better for me. When I looked up rollator on amazon, some of these portable chairs came up. There are some that can compact down really small and I can carry them in a bag. Outside of the lines, a rollator or a wheelchair will just be a pain in a large crowd, especially since it will be of benefit to me only minimally. But thanks for the suggestions. It lead me to some other ideas. Now I just need to figure out how to take my portable chair through the lines at Universal that don't allow loose articles and bags.

What you describe typically falls under a mobility issue. Of course no one can answer but every time this comes up the person comes back to complain that they were denied a DAS. You can use a cane with a stool, a rollerator, or a wheelchair. You don't have to use the wheelchair and can chose to push it or sit in it. It also guarantees that you can keep moving with the speed of the queue while you are sitting or standing. Disney does not allowed fold up chairs, lawn chairs, or camping style chairs.

as other have said I do not think you will be able to get a DAS card I think some type of mobility device is what you need if you get a wheel chair you can push it some and sit in it some you would be surprised at how many people do this if you do not want a wheel chair a roller can do the same thing but I think this would be harder to use for your needs as lines for in the most case are slow mover stops for a few seconds

What you describe typically falls under a mobility issue. Of course no one can answer but every time this comes up the person comes back to complain that they were denied a DAS. You can use a cane with a stool, a rollerator, or a wheelchair. You don't have to use the wheelchair and can chose to push it or sit in it. It also guarantees that you can keep moving with the speed of the queue while you are sitting or standing. Disney does not allowed fold up chairs, lawn chairs, or camping style chairs.
Well, ok, the small portable folding chair plan goes out the window. I'm using my touring plans to come up with a plan that will get me the best possible before lunch. We'll have lunch and then leave the park if I feel badly. I saw one of those cane things on amazon too, but it was flimsy and got bad reviews. I remember in 2002 I took my DD to MK and I brought a small portable chair to wait for the parade with (not in lines cause I didn't have issues then) and no one said anything to me. I've since given that chair away. Is it in lines that they're not allowed or is this something new since 2002?

You aren't allowed to have folding chairs inside the park, period. I don't know how you managed to get the previous one past security.

The PPs have given you the usual reasons why you would likely not be given a DAS. You've rejected the idea of both a wheelchair or rollator. I'm not sure what other advice we can offer, other than organizing your park plan to maximize use of FPs, visit rides that build up long lines early in the day to minimize standby waits, and alternate rides with shows that will get you off your feet for a while.

that was over a decade ago. chairs have not been permitted for many years. I am in a wc part time.. I can do groceries without it but cannot do my local zoo or the mall. stand/push it when you need to stand/walk and sit in it when you need to sit in it

they are not allowed in the parks at all

I would get a roller or a wheel chair there are so many people at disney that do not need them at home and it will help you you could walk for some and then sit and maybe have your daughter push you. this will allow you to be in the park all day and you will be able to enjoy your self

also they are taking benches out of the park there are few and fewer places to sit if you had a wheel chair or roller you have a set any where that you many need it.

for the most part the roller wheel chair will not be in the way the only time I can see is right after wishes the parade but there is a very easy way to get around this just stay where you are for about 5 to 10 minutes and then leave or go where you want

you can also use trying plans to go to the park with the lest crowds go early and book your FP for peak times at the park normally it starts to get busy around 10:30 to 11 have a nice meal some where so you can rest some dose not need to be long and then maybe do one land at a time that way you do not have to go from one land to another and it would help you with going in and out of crows

also crowds are estimated at a 5-6 for most of the first week of april so if you are worried about being in peoples way I would not in the lest.

Last edited:
1) You might get lucky with an individual CM.
2) But, (solely) my guess is this is a mobility issue and not within DAS standards.

For what it's worth, I use a rollator when I'm in the parks as a guest and I don't find it to be in the way hardly at all. The most annoying thing about it is trying to get it on and off the parking trams by myself - and there's usually a kind stranger willing to help. When there's not, I manage. :)

I wouldn't worry about what everyone else is worried about. If a wheelchair solves your issues and gets you through the day, even if it's not your favorite option, I'd do it. You can sit when you need to sit, stand when you need to stand, and shift positions when you need to shift. Try for the cane/chair if you're really against it.

I'd definitely expect them to be a bit more strict on DAS hand outs the week of Easter since with higher crowd times comes higher DAS periods as it is.

Thanks for trying to help me everyone. I don't know who on here is disabled or not, but the FIRST time you have to give up your independence and feel like you are a burden to others is hard. So many things going through my mind like "Oh great, I get to wear out my daughter and have her push me everywhere." or "If I were to buy a rollator what do I need to do to get it on the plane (will it cost me extra?) or "I'm already on an extreme budget, now I get to have the extra expense of renting a wc or rollator." I'm sure to some, it seems like I'm being a pain and not being open to any suggestions, but please be patient as I deal with this FIRST time I might have to let go of my pride and use a wc. It's not the easiest thing to do! I want to have control and take responsibility for my own health issues and not have to affect others so much. Plus, because my options take away my control, it's a little maddening too. But, I am appreciative of the information and suggestions. I would not have known that portable chairs were not allowed if I hadn't have had this conversation and it would have been a disappointing surprise to find that out in the parks.

We are spending two days at Universal and two days at Disney so by the time we get to Disney, I might very well need that wc. I just need to wrap my brain around it that I'm only 52 and having to use these things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter