Won't get a colonoscopy

I researched calorie intake and found that eating has the potential to cause weight gain and obesity. I decided to stop eating because the risk seemed too high. I'm sure I'll get people who will argue that I am overreacting but my research proves otherwise.

I had one last Monday with no problems. They did remove a polop. My motivation was seeing my Aunt's neighbor with a permanent colostomy bag.

Check out the doctor. Mine has been Board Certified since 1989. My health insurance already paid the claim, he got $319. Not that expensive. The anesthesia bill will be extra, that hasn't hit yet. In any case, no cost to me, it's considered preventative.

I've had both a colnscopy and an endoscopy. My colonoscopy was just because of my age. After drinking that awful stuff they give you the procedure itself was nothing, the doctor said I'll see you in 10 years and I said...not if I can help it. I'm not afraid though..,just hate the process. And your stomach is so flat, at least for a day!

The endoscopy was much easier. Had it because of heartburn but nothing there.

My husband has had a couple colonoscopies because of pre cancerous nodules. He has been fine but I'm glad he had them. I've had many friends who have had them and have heard of no problems before this.

I started getting them at 55. The first one found 3 polyps. So another was scheduled for 3 years later, that one had just one so the next was set up for 5 years, that one had 10, some pre-cancerous, so I'm back to the three year span again. They even gave me a series of pictures of them for my family album. :) I tried to find the best one to use on my personalized Christmas card, but, a number of people talked me out of it. BTW, there are no symptoms until it is too late. So good luck with that.

Also, most pedestrian deaths happen when people are crossing the road. If I were you I'd steer clear of being a road crossing pedestrian. It's dangerous, same thing with riding in a car.

Your odds of dying from colonoscopy is 1 in 3300

Car crash
1 in 113
(Hmm...bet you get in a car almost every day)

Cancer or heart problems
1 in 7

We take a 1:113 chance of dying to get to a procedure with a 1:3300 chance of dying to prevent a 1:7 chance of dying. If you think avoiding a colonoscopy is keeping you out of harms way you're quite mistaken.

I just believe the medical field hides how many people actually have complications from it. Perhaps they blame these complications on something else. With the medical field it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

That's a pretty bold statement to say without any proof to back it up. With that being said my wife works in the medical field with 18 plus years in a hospital environment. She's had hundreds if not thousands of patients who have had colonoscopies. She can't recall any one of them dying because of a colonoscopy. Does it happen, yes. Any procedure has a risk. Roughly .5% of all colonoscopies end in death and roughly 1% have severe complications. Very small chance for you since approximately 14 million are done per year.

And, if your having stomach issues, most likely they will do an endoscopy, not colonoscopy unless the endoscopy doesn't show anything abnormal.

Wow, I am so surprised at how condescending and argumentative people can be to just having an open discussion about an issue. My point was to see if anyone opted for another test instead, maybe someone had some insight at that. Sorry, but I do know of 3 people who did die after one and I won't just brush that off as "no big deal". To all that added to the discussion, thank you.

That's a pretty bold statement to say without any proof to back it up. With that being said my wife works in the medical field with 18 plus years in a hospital environment. She's had hundreds if not thousands of patients who have had colonoscopies. She can't recall any one of them dying because of a colonoscopy. Does it happen, yes. Any procedure has a risk. Roughly .5% of all colonoscopies end in death and roughly 1% have severe complications. Very small chance for you since approximately 14 million are done per year.

And, if your having stomach issues, most likely they will do an endoscopy, not colonoscopy unless the endoscopy doesn't show anything abnormal.

Maybe that is a "bold" statement, but let's face facts, the medical field is a big money maker for many. I will leave it at that. If you say that 1% have "severe complications", isn't that 1 out of 100? Just wondering, if that is the statistics your wife advises of or where you got that info from.

I had one last Monday with no problems. They did remove a polop. My motivation was seeing my Aunt's neighbor with a permanent colostomy bag.

Check out the doctor. Mine has been Board Certified since 1989. My health insurance already paid the claim, he got $319. Not that expensive. The anesthesia bill will be extra, that hasn't hit yet. In any case, no cost to me, it's considered preventative.

Even with the removal of the polyp they considered it preventive?

Ours flips to diagnostic if they remove anything and then we pay 20%. Of course that is still less expensive than treating colon cancer.

Maybe that is a "bold" statement, but let's face facts, the medical field is a big money maker for many. I will leave it at that. If you say that 1% have "severe complications", isn't that 1 out of 100? Just wondering, if that is the statistics your wife advises of or where you got that info from.
http://www.asge.org/assets/0/71542/71544/56321364-c4d8-4742-8158-55b6bef2a568.pdf

That was from my wife but her info was from some years back. What I provided you has stats from a more recent study and it's actually a safer procedure than my wife actually thought.

And you are right, it's a money maker for some.

Both DH & I have have it done. No issues. Well, except for the drinking a gallon of yucky lemonade on an empty stomach part.

The procedure itself - no problems.
Same here.

No issues whatsoever. The peace of mind was worth it to me. And, I will do it again in a couple of years with ZERO hesitation.

I researched calorie intake and found that eating has the potential to cause weight gain and obesity. I decided to stop eating because the risk seemed too high. I'm sure I'll get people who will argue that I am overreacting but my research proves otherwise.

Yes, eating is overrated. I applaud your decision. You should last at least 45-60 days without food, but better to die from starvation than risk the dangers of obesity!

Makes no difference to me if anyone else gets a life saving health screening. I get mine. I needed back surgery...there are major risks involved and if i went online to research the procedure (and i did), it was grim and brimming with horror stories. The alternative was a life of agony.

We all have choices to make.

Even with the removal of the polyp they considered it preventive?

Ours flips to diagnostic if they remove anything and then we pay 20%. Of course that is still less expensive than treating colon cancer.

I had one 5 years ago and they removed a couple polyps and it was paid 100%. I guess it depends on your insurance. They even paid for the prep from the pharmacy 100%, no copay. The slip showed $85, which is crazy for 2 six ounce bottles of prep.

I've had three, fourth next month. Polyps were removed last time. Cancer runs in the family, so I already feel nervous for putting it off six months due to my work schedule.

Nevertheless, I do wonder what happened to the days of barium X-rays, which seem far less invasive.

Just curious why you believe it is so evil for a doctor to make a salary? Do you go to work for free?
Did you go in debt to the tune of a quarter of a million dollars to learn your trade?
Are you paying exorbitant insurance just to do your job?
I do have to agree with you that there definitely some ignorant statements on this thread.

How have I been missing all these stories of people dying after colonoscopies?

I have a friend with a family history of colon cancer. She had hers today. It was not pleasant, but she feels so much better today knowing that is not a concern of hers right now.

The easiest cure for colon cancer is early detection. Colonoscopy is the go to diagnostic tool for that.
I found numbers slightly different from another poster: one in 3,500 to one in 5,000 mortality rate from colonoscopies. So it's not unusual that you don't know anyone who's died from one.

There is too much trust in the medical community. I mean, just on these boards I think most people would do anything their doctor tells them to do. Medical error - 3rd leading cause of death (though I think it is more like #1 - many go unreported as such).
Well, truly, the number one cause of death is life.
For me, it is not the procedure. I've already had it done once and know it's not that big of a deal. Unfortunately, I've heard one too many stories of perforation (and not on the internet, but just among people I know) that have given me pause. One in 1,000 or one is 3,000 is not "rare" enough for me
Okay, figure the OP knows of three deaths personally, and heard of three others. You've heard at least two. That's eight deaths. With a mortality rate of even 3,000 now 23,992 people can safely undergo colonoscopies.

Yes, I know that's not how odds work, but still - for every mortality, at least 2,999 patients are 'safe'.
Wow, I am so surprised at how condescending and argumentative people can be to just having an open discussion about an issue. My point was to see if anyone opted for another test instead, maybe someone had some insight at that. Sorry, but I do know of 3 people who did die after one and I won't just brush that off as "no big deal". To all that added to the discussion, thank you.
People have opinions. People have posted alternatives of a sort. Some people are blunt.
It's one out of a thousand. He didn't say 1%, he said .1%. And statistics have been updated, and procedures improved, over the years, making those statistics outdated.

It's your decision, but pat attention to some of the other numbers in this thread. According to this site http://www.nsc.org/learn/safety-knowledge/Pages/injury-facts-chart.aspx you have abetter chance of dying from any of these:
Heart Disease and Cancer 1 in 7
Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease 1 in 27
Intentional Self-harm 1 in 97
Unintentional Poisoning By and Exposure to Noxious Substances 1 in 103
Motor Vehicle Crash 1 in 113
Fall 1 in 133
Assault by Firearm 1 in 358
Pedestrian Incident 1 in 672
Motorcycle Rider Incident 1 in 948
Unintentional Drowning and Submersion 1 in 1,183
Exposure to Fire, Flames or Smoke 1 in 1,454 than from complications from a colonoscopy. Have you asked your physician about alternatives?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter