Wonder Heading Back to Port Canaveral?

Have you not figured out that DCL might not yet KNOW what they are going to do? As someone tried to explain to you in another thread, they have a lot to consider, and it's not just the passenger, they have to be mindful of the crew, the port staff, and the citizens of the countries and states that they will visit.
Would you rather they just cancel the rest of 2020? Would you feel better knowing you have no chance of going on your upcoming cruise? Maybe they are trying to salvage part of the latter part of this year. But they don't even have crew repatriated that have been stuck on ships without passengers since March. Can you not give these people a break? Not to mention, with the various travel restrictions currently in place, they aren't going to be able to re-staff the ships at the drop of a hat.
Maybe they are waiting for the various governmental agencies in many countries to let them know when they can have the ships staffed properly?
This virus might not be affecting you or your state as badly, but it is affecting a lot of people, it is not just a bad flu, a lot of people have died in a short period of time, and it needs to be taken seriously. (still-- and I'm as tired of all the precautions as anyone, and am missing a cruise, another vacation, and many plans with family and friends, as we ALL are.)
Of course, DCL and the parks all want to get back to some semblance of normal, but in the meantime, we all just need to deal with it. Don't assume you're going to sail (on any line). Don't assume it's going to be like old times with crowds of people everywhere. You might have to wear a mask. These are not normal times.
But DO take some responsibility and either just plan to wing it for now, or cancel/reschedule your cruise. Seems to me that having a plan is better for you than not knowing.

I’ve been a DCL fan for over a decade and have given them an absurd amount of my travel dollars and am normally pretty forgiving of them. But I think their lack of information combined with some inflexibility with PIF and cancellations at the same time they continue to accept new reservations is a really bad look and as a customer and shareholder I’m disappointed.

You can’t have it both ways where you ask for customers to be flexible and expect changes but remain completely inflexible with PIF and refunds for those currently past PIF

-At a minimum I think cancellation penalties should be waived until 14 days prior to sailing at least until they’ve released their modifications (asking people to lock in non refundable cruise fares without knowing what kind of experience we might be getting is ludicrous).
-PIF should be extended until 1 month before sailing to give people time to evaluate the situation closing to the date.
-OBC should be extended through 2022 (they are going to need to drive traffic once they reopen anyway)
-If there are any cruises still on the books that they know aren’t happening, they need to cancel them and release peoples money so people can make other plans for their vacations.
-It would also be a good idea I’d they suspended taking new reservations for 2020 until they can figure out a reopening date. Continuing to accept new reservations is digging themselves into the same hole WDW is in with shifting reservations/resorts and for DCL potentially ports and length.

Business wise I don't think changing the PIF date to one month prior helps at all. It doesn't give them enough time to know how many crew members they need onboard and if they don't need as many how to get them off the ship on time.

I agree about the being able to make changes closer to without penalty.

2021 is booking well and don't think they need to drive "traffic" as you say. There are some European dates and Alaska dates in 2021 that don't have many choices left.

Them suspending new reservations doesn't help them keep afloat. The more people pay deposits the more they can still run their business. It is purely a business plan.

They have delayed releasing fall 2021 itineraries. So that is something at least.
My 2 cents.

I've been watching you guys all post about where the DCL ships are...

Is the general consensus that are they repatriating/dropping off their crew? Or are there other thoughts on why they're hitting all of these ports?

I've been watching you guys all post about where the DCL ships are...

Is the general consensus that are they repatriating/dropping off their crew? Or are there other thoughts on why they're hitting all of these ports?
I also think she's dropping off crew. Maybe some to that port, and others who are able to get flights from there to where they live.

Some people feel she (and the Dream) may be picking up crew to start up cruising again, but I think that's a long shot.

Seriously, the idea that DCL is sending ships to "pick up" crew in preparation to resume sailing next month is pretty impractical and ridiculous, they're STILL trying to get crew members HOME off ships which is why they're sailing around the Caribbean, I know that there are people that frequent this board that are certain that they're going to get on board a ship in July and August, but I just don't see it happening, the fact that the CDC hasn't lifted the No Sail Order which expires on July 24, doesn't mean that after that date the cruise lines including Disney will automatically start filling up ships with passengers and set sail. First off travel restrictions from foreign countries to the US are STILL in place, this includes Canada, UK and other European countries. Second many of the countries that DCL sails to on the Caribbean cruises have YET to open ports for cruise ship passengers and some have placed bans until well into this fall. Third DCL isn't going to let a single passenger on board the ships until they can absolutely guarantee as close to a virus free safe environment as possible and set up safety and health protocols to protect passengers and crew members. The Wonder and Dream are in the process of getting crew members home or to ports that will allow them to disembark so they can get flights home from there. That's it.

Last edited:
Seriously, the idea that DCL is sending ships to "pick up" crew in preparation to resume sailing next month is pretty impractical and ridiculous, they're STILL trying to get crew members HOME off ships which is why they're sailing around the Caribbean, I know that there are people that frequent this board that are certain that they're going to get on board a ship in July and August, but I just don't see it happening, the fact that the CDC hasn't lifted the No Sail Order which expires on July 24, doesn't mean that after that date the cruise lines including Disney will automatically start filling up ships with passengers and set sail. First off travel restrictions from foreign countries to the US are STILL in place, this includes Canada, UK and other European countries. Second many of the countries that DCL sails to on the Caribbean cruises have YET to open ports for cruise ship passengers and some have placed bans until well into this fall. Third DCL isn't going to let a single passenger on board the ships until they can absolutely guarantee a safe, virus free environment and set up safety and health protocols to protect passengers and crew members. The Wonder and Dream are in the process of getting crew members home or to ports that will allow them to disembark so they can get flights home from there. That's it.
There is just no way DCL or anyone else will be able to guarantee a virus free environment if a virus is present in society.

There is just no way DCL or anyone else will be able to guarantee a virus free environment if a virus is present in society.
Granted the specificity of the comment was vague, so I corrected it. It still has the same impact on what I was trying to say. Thanks.

DCL isn't going to let a single passenger on board the ships until they can absolutely guarantee a safe, virus free environment and set up safety and health protocols to protect passengers and crew members. The Wonder and Dream are in the process of getting crew members home or to ports that will allow them to disembark so they can get flights home from there. That's it.

Meanwhile DCL continues to market and sell their Dream July 31st cruise. Yes, we all have to find out from outside sources instead of DCL just being up front.

Dream and Wonder both are still provisional red, per the CDC. In other words, cases within 28 days or not filing paperwork to prove otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter