Wonder Heading Back to Port Canaveral?

Or a transfer of crew with 28 days which may have occurred for both recently.

It isn't just a simple transfer, see red category criteria:

Red Ship Criteria
  • One or more cases of confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-like Illness within the past 28 days, or
  • Ship received ship-to-ship transfers from a ship that had confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-like illness within the 28 days before the transfer occurred, or
  • If land-based crew embarked, they were not immediately quarantined for 14 days upon embarking the ship, or
  • During the past 28 days, the ship missed one or more weekly submission of the EDC form.

It isn't just a simple transfer, see red category criteria:

Red Ship Criteria
  • One or more cases of confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-like Illness within the past 28 days, or
  • Ship received ship-to-ship transfers from a ship that had confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-like illness within the 28 days before the transfer occurred, or
  • If land-based crew embarked, they were not immediately quarantined for 14 days upon embarking the ship, or
  • During the past 28 days, the ship missed one or more weekly submission of the EDC form.
We know there were cases on the Wonder after the WBPC, and none of the crew was allowed to leave after that. So it's possible they still (or recently enough) had cases in the crew members, so the Wonder could legitimately be a red ship now. If they did a transfer of crew in Barbados, that would make the Dream red too. These just hasn't been any news about why they were both in Barbados at the same time (or even why the Dream left Port Canaveral at all, because the Caribbean crew is supposed to have been transferred to the Fantasy and already dropped of).

We know there were cases on the Wonder after the WBPC, and none of the crew was allowed to leave after that. So it's possible they still (or recently enough) had cases in the crew members, so the Wonder could legitimately be a red ship now. If they did a transfer of crew in Barbados, that would make the Dream red too. These just hasn't been any news about why they were both in Barbados at the same time (or even why the Dream left Port Canaveral at all, because the Caribbean crew is supposed to have been transferred to the Fantasy and already dropped of).

They were in Barbados for repatriation of crew, about 400 crew total between the two ships.

http://www.loopnewsbarbados.com/content/disney-repatriates-400-crew-dream-wonder-ships-barbados
The government of Barbados is allowing the cruise lines to use Barbados to repatriate crew members to other countries via repatriation flights, as well, so the crew members let off may not all have been from Barbados. [obviously the receiving countries have to be on board with this and there have to be flights available etc etc]

Note too in the article it said the Dream is coming back to Barbados next weekend.

My GUESS is that they were using Barbados to fly at least some crew home.

See article below for more info about repatriation floghts from Barbados by cruise lines: http://www.loopnewsbarbados.com/con...repatriation-flights-after-crew-members-death

Last edited:
I have said this before, but the need to quarantine any crew coming on board for 14 days - and the fact that any positive tests restart the 14 days - suggests a minimum sail date is at least 28 days after they start re-embarking crew.

As they are still in repatriation mode, and many crew come from places with outbreaks, I think we are at least 3 months or more out from sailing.

The CDC protocols right now apply only to crew. None of these apply to a passenger sailing yet. But you gotta bet that ships still Red and Provisionally Red are a long way from being Green for crew, and there certainly isn't going to be a warm welcome to homeport and embark guests for a ship that cannot manage documentation of Green for crew protocols.

Business wise I don't think changing the PIF date to one month prior helps at all. It doesn't give them enough time to know how many crew members they need onboard and if they don't need as many how to get them off the ship on time.

I agree about the being able to make changes closer to without penalty.

2021 is booking well and don't think they need to drive "traffic" as you say. There are some European dates and Alaska dates in 2021 that don't have many choices left.

Them suspending new reservations doesn't help them keep afloat. The more people pay deposits the more they can still run their business. It is purely a business plan.

They have delayed releasing fall 2021 itineraries. So that is something at least.
My 2 cents.

I think the PIF change will help people that dont want to cancel but are worried about committing to sailing without knowing what that experience will look like once it resumes.

2021 is booking well, but I trust those numbers as far as I can throw them. September 2020 was booking well too but a look at available cabins and it looks like a ghost ship. I think 2021 numbers are people who have moved cruises or booked early but I just don’t think the cruise industry will be anywhere near capacity in 2021-2023 (both for virus and economic reasons). At some point when they reopen they will need to drive business again.

By continuing to allow reservations they are continuing to extend the 125% credit (that has to stop at some point), and most of the deposits they are having to return as cancellations. If they are using incoming deposits to float their current business the whole thing is going to collapse with all the refunds they are paying out. They really hurt goodwill by accepting reservations and losing some flexibility to change to shorter cruises/different ports etc like WDW is with moving everyone’s room bookings.

Between our 2 cents we have 4 cents 😃

Some people cannot cruise again in the window to take advantage of the FCC, especially if they already had a cruise cancelled and so their window is shorter because it runs from the original cancelled sail date. For example one poster on here had a wife who was newly pregnant at the start of the 15 month window--and 9 months plus 6 months (minimum infant age) means that 15 months won't work. In less extreme examples, another person mentioned that they had very limited windows each year in which they can take vacation and even with 25%, the 2021 cruise in their vacation window would be much more expensive given Disney's seasonal pricing.

I see what you are saying, but I was referring to no financial reason for ME not to go ahead and PIF and see what happens.

Wonder is stopping at Puerto Cortes, was scheduled to arrive today not sure if she'll make it before the end of the day, Port Canaveral is final destination after Honduras.

Some sad news from the Wonder :-(

Disney Wonder cruise ship worker dies at sea, will be tested for COVID-19
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article243767627.htmlarticle dates: June 24, 2020 06:50 PM , Updated June 24, 2020 09:01 PM

In addition to the sad news about the passing of the crew member, some additional information about the ship per the article:

- "At least 255 people on board the Disney Wonder have tested positive for COVID-19 since March 1, the CDC said, making it among the largest known cruise ship outbreaks."

- "The last positive COVID-19 case on board was on May 8, according to the company. The ship has fewer than 300 crew on board."

Some sad news from the Wonder :-(

Disney Wonder cruise ship worker dies at sea, will be tested for COVID-19
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article243767627.htmlarticle dates: June 24, 2020 06:50 PM , Updated June 24, 2020 09:01 PM

In addition to the sad news about the passing of the crew member, some additional information about the ship per the article:

- "At least 255 people on board the Disney Wonder have tested positive for COVID-19 since March 1, the CDC said, making it among the largest known cruise ship outbreaks."

- "The last positive COVID-19 case on board was on May 8, according to the company. The ship has fewer than 300 crew on board."

There was a related article that was put out by a law firm in which they stated "Our firm is aware of at least three passengers on the Disney Wonder who later died due to COVID-19."

This is the ship that we are supposed to do our first Disney cruise on in December.

There was a related article that was put out by a law firm in which they stated "Our firm is aware of at least three passengers on the Disney Wonder who later died due to COVID-19."

This is the ship that we are supposed to do our first Disney cruise on in December.

That is terrible, but I'm not sure I'd hold it against the ship. We went on the Wonder this past December and loved it. Hope you get to go!

So sad to hear this news. I hope all is well with the rest of the crew.

Stay Safe!

With all of that, it doesn't make sense that the Wonder is the only DCL ship that is green on the CDC color coded thing.

With all of that, it doesn't make sense that the Wonder is the only DCL ship that is green on the CDC color coded thing.

They only update the list once a week. Every Tuesday at 9am ET. That color should change early next week.

If this is the first death of a person on the ship, I can't imagine what the crew is thinking about. I feel terrible for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter