WISH Away the Pounds July Challenge - Everyone Welcome!!

Crazy day today. Eating has been way off for the last couple days. Today I tracked despite crummy eating. I'm okay if i stop now and its almost midnight so I only plan on water anyway before I go lay down. Tomorrow I have a lot to get done in prep for dd's 11th birthday party Sunday. And I haven't even gone to get her gifts yet. I've been contemplating and think I figured out what I'm getting.

I spent the morning watching my friends son while she had a meeting for some important stuff for him. He is 15 but special needs and gets into stuff so we watched a show and then he went off to work on the puzzle on the table. But I was so tired. I napped after he left. Still tired so hope that means I can fall asleep quick enough.

I will try to catch up tomorrow if I have time. Or later if I can't get to sleep. ;) Otherwise I might just be on in morning long enough to give my weigh in. I forgot this morning.

Hope everyone has a good weekend if I don't come on much till Monday. :goodvibes

qotd: my computer because that's where you guys live! I'm not really a tech person. My jawbone/up band died and I still haven't figured out how to fix it. I use MFP but only sporadically (I've been good this week ;)). If my foot ever gets better and I can run again I've got a pretty slick watch gadget I like.

Had Greek yogurt again for breakfast today plus a banana muffin I made yesterday. It seems to hold me all right. I get hungry around 10:30 but just ignore it until lunch time. I tell myself something I learned on here, "hunger isn't an emergency."

Yes it is amazing how many nice folks live in computers, Linda! :rotfl:

Your breakfast sounds yummy! :cool2: I know my breakfast will hold me until lunch if I have a good serving of protein.

I'm using the FitBit Zip, the Aria WiFi scale, and a food scale to measure portions. Only had the Aria and Zip for a few days but so far loving them. Walked 5 miles yesterday, and so far another 3 miles today!

Also, I'm on SparkPeople, so I tied the FitBit and SparkPeople together to import data to each other.

Nice to have your data tied together on your various apps! :cool2: And kudos for all those miles -- I noticed you've been racking up the minutes on the exercise thread. :thumbsup2

Hi everyone!

We are back from an *amazing* trip to Aulani. WOW. The pictures and the reports don't do it justice - we loved every minute! We were in a DVC 1-bedroom and had great room for all of us, including a balcony with a view of the Pacific. Friends of ours staying there at the same time were completely randomly put in the studio next to us (!!), so we ended up using the shared door a lot.

I hit a grocery store and stocked up on breakfast foods. That helped a lot with eating well. But...yikes. I was great the first few days and then pretty well fell off the wagon the longer we stayed, foodwise. I ran four times while we were there, though, for a total of 14 miles (along the ocean walk, aahhh). My WI tomorrow will be pretty disastrous, but it would have been worse without the exercise!

Sounds like a wonderful time in Hawaii, Liz! :cool2: I bet a lot of that water was from traveling and will be gone lickety-split! Kudos to you for running in paradise. :cool1:

Morning all! Weigh-in this morning put a small smile on my face because I am a SAMER! Even after some not-so-wonderful eating last weekend on the Cape, I still managed to hold my own! Sure, I would have loved to be down a bit, but this was truly a blessing (plus we had dinner LATE last night and I was concerned how that would show up today). And if I can hold strong, I can hopefully count on losing just ONE MORE POUND before we leave on vacation. I hate the thought of going on vacation exactly at the mid-point of my maintenance range.... it really gives me no wiggle room. But of course, that means no cake or treats today on DH's birthday. But it will be worth it!

Yay for maintaining and enjoying yourself, Pamela! :yay: I know that you will be strong and still have a good time as part of your plan for vacation. ::yes:: Have a great time at the aquarium! :fish:

QOTD Friday, July 25, 2014: What is your strategy for eating on vacation?

My strategy for vacation is exercise and most importantly, get right back on track when you return. :thumbsup2 I managed to maintain for a 2 week cruise last summer so I know I can manage for a 5 day trip next week.

Sorry fo rbeing so absent. Work has become even worse - and is going to be that way until the first week of August... :crazy2:

I am still going to try to get your last week's weights updated tonight and then this weeks weights updated tomorrow, so we have both sets and can see the change.

I am also happy to host again in August.

I thought to try out something different though. Instead of having people coach and post QOTD, I think it would make more sense to have a new discussion question being discussed every three or four days on a set schedule. If I don't post daily I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the many questions and some would have been interesting. Also, maybe if it is less connected to a day, it might spark more discussion?

Anyway, since I think it is not going to work out to have coaches remember when it is time to post a new question, my idea was to ask people to submit questions of the day by PM to me, the host, and I would then post them according to a schedule. So maybe those who don't feel up to coaching, feel encouraged to submit a question, maybe on something that they would be interested to hear opinions on?

What do you all think?

Thanks so much for hostessing again, Magdalene! :flower3: And for hostessing this month, too. :thanks:

I like your idea about spreading out the QOTD -- we will have to think of a new name for them. :rotfl: Those responsibilities could even be split up between a couple of people. I'll PM you a couple of QOTD ideas. :flower3:

Crazy day today. Eating has been way off for the last couple days. Today I tracked despite crummy eating. I'm okay if i stop now and its almost midnight so I only plan on water anyway before I go lay down. Tomorrow I have a lot to get done in prep for dd's 11th birthday party Sunday. And I haven't even gone to get her gifts yet. I've been contemplating and think I figured out what I'm getting.

Enjoy those birthday celebrations for DD this week-end, Melissa! party:

QOTD: On vacations I try to hit grocery stores and buy lots of fresh fruit since we usually just drive to places semi close to us. We also usually stay at hotels that include breakfast and I try to have yogurt and eggs (but I do love making my own waffle once or twice!).

Yesterday I was successful with plan B exercise! I got up very early and went to swim at the Y. Came home, showered, ate (I had popped a breakfast casserole in the oven before I left) and the whole family was on the road by 7 AM! :drive: Went where we were supposed to be then went to in laws's new place in the retirement center and had Subway. Popped in and quickly saw a couple other relatives then headed for home about 4 PM. I was starving so we stopped at a town (Sisters) and got pizza slices. Not the healthiest, but I just got a cheese one. Got home around 8 PM and the family totally vegged! :rolleyes2

DS1 checked his email on the drive home and I do believe that boy has a job! So happy. The month he's been home from college I keep asking him how he was going to pay his rent next year if he didn't get a job?! Maybe the problem is solved. :thumbsup2

DS2 has a big meeting today with a bunch of people from our church. He's the "token teenager" (actually there's another one) on the committee trying to find a new leader. He's been frantically reviewing applicants and asking us tons of questions and muttering under his breath ("this isn't even a real sentence!" "what the heck is that supposed to mean?!"). I think they hope to narrow the field somewhat today.

I have nothing official on my list today. Now that it's not raining I will do laundry, lots and lots of laundry! :laundy:

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend!

So, these are LAST WEEK'S results:

Flossbolna (Magdalene) 24%
lisa0711 (Lisa)
jillbur (Jill) 80%
JennStars9 26%
glss1/2fll (Linda) 17%
purplekicks 24%
desiree71081 124% Congratulations!!!
myweegirls (Liz) 63%
DisFam95 16%
GrandAdmiralStrife 70%
LadyRayado 25%
Rose&Mike (Rose) 43%
mainemooncat (Elizabeth) 67%
FireflyFi (Fiona) 25%
beno44
BernardandMissBianca (Buffy)
Zoesmama03 71%
happysummer 30%

Sorry for the delay! But I wanted to have them posted as quite a few of us managed to post a loss for the first time (including me!!) and Desiree has reached her goal!! Congratulations!

I hope this is an incentive to be good this weekend for all of you!

This week's results will be posted on Monday!

Lisa, thanks for your feedback on my ideas about changes! I shall look forward to getting a PM. Maybe we would have one "weight host" and one or two "question hosts". And I agree, we need a new name for the QOTD. I am wondering whether it makes sense to have a set schedule for those, like Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday? Or maybe even two days a week? I think Monday there is more to talk because people like to reflect how their weekend went, so Tuesday would be good to start off the week. And then having Thursday (or Friday if only two days) as kind of the motivation question to take with you into weekend. A Saturday question could be a fun, maybe even a Disney question...

My weekly check in, and I thought I'd catch up on a couple of QOTD's. :)

QOTD Wednesday, July 23, 2014: It's Woo Hoo Wednesday! Give yourself a big "woo hoo" for helping yourself to be healthy and share something that you did this week to help you with your goals.

A great question, because it prompts you to think about the good things you've done for yourself. It's funny how you don't even need to try to tell yourself the bad things you have done, those thoughts will just appear all on their own :mic: at least they do for me!

So at the time this question was posted I found that I was on the way of kicking a couple of unhelpful habits. I used to start every morning with a bit of chocolate. Not a huge amount, but I always kind of justified it as something to start the day (too settle my stomach, uh huh) as I was at least a few hours away from having breakfast after the long commute into, and start time at, work. I've stopped that :goodvibes and now don't even really notice the change.

At the time I had also stopped eating into the night. After dinner, there would regularly be a routine of dessert, snack, second dessert, second snack... :rolleyes2 But I managed to stop just at dinner. I've slipped a couple of times since - the eating is more to do with stress, and is mostly just a way to wind down at the end of the day. I know I love the zone out effect mindless eating can give, and it's going to be a harder habit to give up, but I'm positive that I'll be able to reduce the frequency significantly! ::yes::

QOTD Thursday, July 24, 2014: It's Tech Thursday. Share any technology that helps you with your healthy lifestyle. It could be an app, a kitchen gadget or even your high tech sneakers.

I bought a vacuum sealer a week or so ago, and I LOVE IT! hahaha, I live on my own, so storing food is very important to both not waste food or money. I've vacuum sealed salsa, pasta sauce, grated cheese (not sure if that is going to defrost as grated cheese, or one big mishapen blob lol), marinated chicken, marinated pork, diced beef. I've always been a person with a million small packages of food in the freezer, but now I know they'll last a lot longer!

QOTD Friday, July 25, 2014: What is your strategy for eating on vacation?

I guess I've been lucky, as my last couple of holidays have been so active, even though I let my eating run wild I usually come back lighter. That's probably a reflection of just how inactive I am in my day job :worried:

Two years ago I had my first trip to America, so it was all omg mac and cheese or fries with everything, meals that were about twice the size I was used to, cherry coke! I don't think I weighed myself before or after, but I know my clothes were looser.

Last year I went to Japan. Just prior to that, I was still struggling with the lap band, it was much too tight. I had it loosened just before I went away, so I went from weeks of eating almost nothing, to suddenly being able to eat almost anything I liked. I did try and make sure I included healthy foods in my diet, which was reasonably easy in Japan. They seem to be very diet and weight conscious, so you can find healthy options relatively easy. I remember buying apple slices and bebe (baby) cheese from the combini stores for breakfast, and some of the softest and freshest pre made sandwiches I've ever eaten for dinner a couple of nights I was too tired to do anything else.

The common thing with both of them was the walking, walking, walking! That energy expenditure obviously adds up...! Still, I think I've matured a bit in the last couple of years, and even if I give myself a bit of room to play, I try and keep reasonably healthy if only to keep the energy levels up and not get sick while away.

So I know I've mentioned here earlier that I don't really like the idea of monitoring everything I'm eating. Well, yesterday I downloaded MFP. And...I think I really like it...! :rolleyes2 I realised that I was pretty much flying blind - I had no idea how much I was eating, in terms of calories, or even how much I should be eating. Just eat less, right? I think following my mum around the supermarket during my teenage years studying food labels really put me off the idea, but the app makes it so easy.

It was all going well yesterday, and I got to the end of dinner and still had a lot of calories leftover. So I was tossing up between stopping there, or having dessert. I had some pudding leftover from having relatives over for dinner the night before. I didn't really feel like I needed it, but if I didn't eat it, it was getting to the point of needing to be thrown out. So I hit the complete button at just at the end of dinner, and it came up with I could lose 7 kilos over 5 weeks if I kept eating at this level. Awesome! So then I thought I'd check just how much damage the pudding would do. It's a gourmet pre made thing, so it had been loaded on the app, but looks like an individual has loaded it. It was listed at 138kj for 100g. Hey, that's not too bad! So I ate it. And then while I was eating, I thought that can't be possible...138kj for a dried fruit filled chocolate pudding?? I had another one stored in the cupboard and checked the label - 100g is 1381kj!! Argh! Whoever loaded these numbers missed a digit, and so I actually ate 10 times the amount! :faint: So I hit the complete button again, and suddenly I could lose 3 kilos over 5 weeks grrrr...oh well, today is another day!

tl:dr I'm becoming a convert to MFP, but geez you've gotta watch any less popular foods are actually listed correctly!

So encouraging to see all those colours! :goodvibes have a great weekend everyone :grouphug:

Morning all!! Had a good time in Boston yesterday. It was SO EXCITING to see DD at the Aquarium. She got to feed some of the animals in the Giant Ocean Tank.... which was really the fulfillment of a lifetime dream, I'm sure! Here is a picture of her doing a target feeding of a Kemps Ridley sea turtle.......

ry%3D480

and of her feeding Myrtle the Turtle (I believe she is a green sea turtle who is over 90 years old!). She under the platform that DD is standing on.....

ry%3D400

HOW COOL IS THAT!!??

We had lunch together (I packed up a nice healthy WW lunch for us to share) and then we both headed to her school and loaded up a bunch of small pieces of furniture and other things she can live without for one more week. Then she had to go to work on her OTHER internship project and I headed home. I got home earlier than anticipated, so it was nice not to be exhausted and getting home real late.

Eating was MOSTLY OP yesterday, until I had one last treat before bed... but even with that, I was still okay and WILL have a good week! :thumbsup2

SO MUCH to do around this house this week, so I will get started now! Off to grab coffee and get the laundry and dishes moving along! TTYL...........P

Yesterday I was successful with plan B exercise! I got up very early and went to swim at the Y. Came home, showered, ate (I had popped a breakfast casserole in the oven before I left) and the whole family was on the road by 7 AM! :drive: Went where we were supposed to be then went to in laws's new place in the retirement center and had Subway. Popped in and quickly saw a couple other relatives then headed for home about 4 PM. I was starving so we stopped at a town (Sisters) and got pizza slices. Not the healthiest, but I just got a cheese one. Got home around 8 PM and the family totally vegged! :rolleyes2

DS1 checked his email on the drive home and I do believe that boy has a job! So happy. The month he's been home from college I keep asking him how he was going to pay his rent next year if he didn't get a job?! Maybe the problem is solved. :thumbsup2

DS2 has a big meeting today with a bunch of people from our church. He's the "token teenager" (actually there's another one) on the committee trying to find a new leader. He's been frantically reviewing applicants and asking us tons of questions and muttering under his breath ("this isn't even a real sentence!" "what the heck is that supposed to mean?!"). I think they hope to narrow the field somewhat today.

I have nothing official on my list today. Now that it's not raining I will do laundry, lots and lots of laundry! :laundy:

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend!

Hooray for Plan B, Linda! :yay: I was just reading about Sisters in Sunset Magazine. Hope DS1 got a job and it sounds like DS2 is taking his responsibilities very seriously -- I hope they pay attention to his input because it sounds like he has some good points!

So, these are LAST WEEK'S results:

Flossbolna (Magdalene) 24%
lisa0711 (Lisa)
jillbur (Jill) 80%
JennStars9 26%
glss1/2fll (Linda) 17%
purplekicks 24%
desiree71081 124% Congratulations!!!
myweegirls (Liz) 63%
DisFam95 16%
GrandAdmiralStrife 70%
LadyRayado 25%
Rose&Mike (Rose) 43%
mainemooncat (Elizabeth) 67%
FireflyFi (Fiona) 25%
beno44
BernardandMissBianca (Buffy)
Zoesmama03 71%
happysummer 30%

Sorry for the delay! But I wanted to have them posted as quite a few of us managed to post a loss for the first time (including me!!) and Desiree has reached her goal!! Congratulations!

I hope this is an incentive to be good this weekend for all of you!

This week's results will be posted on Monday!

Lisa, thanks for your feedback on my ideas about changes! I shall look forward to getting a PM. Maybe we would have one "weight host" and one or two "question hosts". And I agree, we need a new name for the QOTD. I am wondering whether it makes sense to have a set schedule for those, like Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday? Or maybe even two days a week? I think Monday there is more to talk because people like to reflect how their weekend went, so Tuesday would be good to start off the week. And then having Thursday (or Friday if only two days) as kind of the motivation question to take with you into weekend. A Saturday question could be a fun, maybe even a Disney question...

Kudos to everyone for all those pretty chaning colors! :rainbow:

I think a Tuesday, Thursday health related question and a fun week-end question might do the trick. We will still need to come up with a new name for them. I'm not very good at this kind of stuff -- so far I found a word hebdomadaily that is synonymous with weekly -- not very catchy. :rotfl2:

So at the time this question was posted I found that I was on the way of kicking a couple of unhelpful habits. I used to start every morning with a bit of chocolate. Not a huge amount, but I always kind of justified it as something to start the day (too settle my stomach, uh huh) as I was at least a few hours away from having breakfast after the long commute into, and start time at, work. I've stopped that :goodvibes and now don't even really notice the change.

At the time I had also stopped eating into the night. After dinner, there would regularly be a routine of dessert, snack, second dessert, second snack... :rolleyes2 But I managed to stop just at dinner. I've slipped a couple of times since - the eating is more to do with stress, and is mostly just a way to wind down at the end of the day. I know I love the zone out effect mindless eating can give, and it's going to be a harder habit to give up, but I'm positive that I'll be able to reduce the frequency significantly! ::yes::

Two great strategies for some simple changes that will bring big results in your healthy lifestyle! :cool2:

Tracking is a pain but multiple studies show it yields twice as much weight loss as not tracking -- that is a big difference! :thumbsup2

Morning all!! Had a good time in Boston yesterday. It was SO EXCITING to see DD at the Aquarium. She got to feed some of the animals in the Giant Ocean Tank.... which was really the fulfillment of a lifetime dream, I'm sure!

Your DD looks like a pro, Pamela, and I know she is having a fabulous time this summer! :fish: And excellent job staying OP while you were travelling! :cool2:

Partying done. Now I gotta recover. LOL As an introvert I've gotta get back my energy. Probably will waste too much time research, reading and doing stuff online now for half the night. :lmao: So started with FB and now here. ;) All while watching Grey's but I switched to The Walking Dead.

My dd had a good party but I'm glad its done. I sent off some of the left over cupcakes. Now I have to avoid them the next couple days. Too much sugar and carbs today.

If all goes well she and I will do the Insanity fit test tomorrow. I'm curious how it will go. Then I'll be modifying a lot I'm sure.

Morning all! Is it possible to feel other's PANIC through ESP??? DD is literally ready to hit maximum meltdown right now, and I SWEAR I am feeling her panic! Her SURF group (the internship she stayed on campus for this summer) presents their project on Friday at URI. She moves out AND we go on family vacation at the Lake on Saturday. She will have to work remotely for the Aquarium and for her other project during that week, but at least she will be there with us most of the week (she does have to go to Boston for one day mid-week). Then we return home Saturday and she leaves for 10 days in Ireland and Scotland to attend the International Marine Congress and present the other project she has been working on. And then, of course, she gets a precious 3 days at home before moving back to school for the fall semester. If I am feeling this.....:scared1: feeling, I can't imagine how she is feeling!!!

I've been spending a bit of time organizing the stuff she has been sending home a bit at a time since the spring, so that when it IS time to load up the car to go back to school everything isn't in a heap. So hopefully knowing that will help her relax just a bit. And other than her own clothes, she doesn't have to worry about anything for vacation. And HOPEFULLY she has just the clothes she needs for her trip abroad, because there is literally NO TIME to shop if doesn't have it.

Anyhoooo..... just venting here! It helps me organize my thoughts to see it all in writing here!

Had a good weekend, got a lot done on Sunday, despite the rain. DH finished building the raised garden beds he has been working on for weeks.... so I'm glad he is done AND I can get my side of the garage back! Ate well and stayed mostly OP. Won't do a lot of grocery shopping, as we need to use stuff up before we go away.... and that, of course, will mean that most meals this week will end up being a hodge-podge of this and that. Through an odd variety of events, we have ended up with 5 dozen eggs in the fridge.... so I see a lot of omelets and egg pies in our future this week! :thumbsup2

Off to eat breakfast and get this busy day moving along!...............P

Helloooooooooo??? Anybody home?? Where is everyone?

Are we coach-less at the moment? I think so.... so I'll post a QOTD in a bit, just to keep things moving!!

I having been organizing and cleaning and am feeling really good about all of the dust bunnies I've made homeless!! :rotfl2: I have one more shelf to dust and then just need to put clean sheets on DD's bed and vacuume her room and it will be ready for her (brief) return.

Then I'll get a few suitcases from the attic to start packing for vacation AND to have one ready for DD to pack for Scotland... she will literally have a few hours to do it the day before she leaves!! But I'm dashing out tonight to hit Target and make sure she has everything she will need.

The day keeps going back and forth between showers and bright hot sun.... kind of nuts. And we had $526 worth of organic compost delivered for the new raised garden beds.... but they aren't fully ready yet, so the compost must sit for now. But it will be a GREAT workout to move it from the driveway to the back yard after vacation!! :thumbsup2

Off to post a QOTD to hopefully keep things movingt here!..........P

Unofficial QOTD for Monday, July 28, 2014:

What to eat when there is NOTHING to eat!!

So you haven't had time to shop.... or the grocery budget is blown and it isn't the end of the month yet.... or you are leaving on vacation in 4 days and want to clean out what's left in the fridge ;) . So what do you make that is still healthy, delicious, nutritious, and on plan? How good are you at Kitchen Magic? What are your "go-to" meals when the fridge and pantry are looking sparse?

I've got a pretty slick watch gadget I like.

Had Greek yogurt again for breakfast today plus a banana muffin I made yesterday. It seems to hold me all right. I get hungry around 10:30 but just ignore it until lunch time. I tell myself something I learned on here, "hunger isn't an emergency."

Hunger is your body telling you it needs something though - a smart choice not a bag of chips or cookies. My personal opinion is it's not good at all going between meals w/ nothing. The fittest and healthiest people I know all eat small 'meals' throughout the day or have a healthy snack. Eat and apple, piece of cheese, handful of almonds - something between meals.

A fitness guy explained your metabolism like a fire. How do you keep a fire going strong? You feed it periodically w/ small kindling. If you ignore the fire for too long then set a big log (meal) on it the fire will go out.

Snacking has a bad connotation to a lot of us but it's what you choose that makes all the difference. You need to eat between meals!

Is your job limiting you? That I understand! I don't; have a desk job or a job w/ flexibility to stop when I want and am all over the place so I have to keep snacks with me.

What's you slick watch gadget?? I'm looking for something to monitor my workouts and check my HR etc?

------------------------

So far so good today. Had a delicious green smoothie for breakfast. Got stuck running errands at lunch and at the mall w/ the kids at Chickfila. I had the 8 pack nuggets in a pinch. I did still 1 small fry from my son but that's a HUGE accomplishment that 1 did not turn into 2 -3 - 4 :cool1:

I have a b-day coming up so feeling more motivated. My foot is almost healed - tried jogging the other day and it didn't kill me but I;m still afraid of doing too much. My DH has been cycling lately so I might try and go out on a ride w/ him sometime.

I guess my goal for the end of the month is to be the same as where I started at the beginning after gaining several lbs earlier from being out of commission.

So you haven't had time to shop.... or the grocery budget is blown and it isn't the end of the month yet.... or you are leaving on vacation in 4 days and want to clean out what's left in the fridge ;) . So what do you make that is still healthy, delicious, nutritious, and on plan? How good are you at Kitchen Magic? What are your "go-to" meals when the fridge and pantry are looking sparse?

I am not the person to be answering this. That's when my panic sets in and 'try' to resist picking up the phone - I guess it's open the laptop now - to order a pizza!

I try to keep a few spare dinners in the freezer or I have some chicken breast from Costo (ind wrapped) that cook perfect from frozen and just add some spices on top.

Stew or soup is always a good way to use up a bit of this and a bit of that. As long as I have some homemade veggie broth in the freezer, or a bottle of tomato/vegetable juice, or some beef stock, I am ready to make soup! Stir-fry is another great way to use up bits and pieces and a good way to blend canned, fresh, and frozen foods together.

I try to keep at least ONE frozen green vegetable on hand for emergencies, usually either broccoli or green beans.... but when I have to use the emergency veggies, I know we are down to bare shelves!

Sometimes I call it buffet night and just put out a counter full of small bits, pieces, and individual servings..... not necessarily lots of things that go well together, but everyone can pick and choose.... and if it doesn't seem like enough to feed us all, I might make a large cheese quesidilla and cut it into wedges to go along with it.... we almost always have low carb tortillas and some sort of cheese on hand.

Yesterday's lunch for DS was a serving of hummus and the last of the pretzels (which he complained were getting stale :rolleyes2), a serving of raisins, a bowl of applesauce (next to last serving) and a slice of cheese toast (made with the last slice of whole wheat bread). Not exactly perfect, but it filled the belly and cleaned up some bits and pieces. Breakfast and lunch today will be similar attempts to use stuff up.

Hunger is your body telling you it needs something though - a smart choice not a bag of chips or cookies. My personal opinion is it's not good at all going between meals w/ nothing. The fittest and healthiest people I know all eat small 'meals' throughout the day or have a healthy snack. Eat and apple, piece of cheese, handful of almonds - something between meals.

A fitness guy explained your metabolism like a fire. How do you keep a fire going strong? You feed it periodically w/ small kindling. If you ignore the fire for too long then set a big log (meal) on it the fire will go out.

Snacking has a bad connotation to a lot of us but it's what you choose that makes all the difference. You need to eat between meals!

Is your job limiting you? That I understand! I don't; have a desk job or a job w/ flexibility to stop when I want and am all over the place so I have to keep snacks with me.

I agree with everything you said...... however, I am hungry a LOT of the time. I believe I make really smart choices most of the time with my Points, I eat lots of fruits and veggies and lean proteins, I try to have a small snack between breakfast and lunch and another between lunch and dinner.... however, I am still hungry OFTEN. True hunger with belly growling. Honestly, I've learned to live with it or feeds it carrots.

What's you slick watch gadget?? I'm looking for something to monitor my workouts and check my HR etc?

------------------------

So far so good today. Had a delicious green smoothie for breakfast. Got stuck running errands at lunch and at the mall w/ the kids at Chickfila. I had the 8 pack nuggets in a pinch. I did still 1 small fry from my son but that's a HUGE accomplishment that 1 did not turn into 2 -3 - 4 :cool1:

I have a b-day coming up so feeling more motivated. My foot is almost healed - tried jogging the other day and it didn't kill me but I;m still afraid of doing too much. My DH has been cycling lately so I might try and go out on a ride w/ him sometime.

I guess my goal for the end of the month is to be the same as where I started at the beginning after gaining several lbs earlier from being out of commission.

Definitely nothing like a birthday to keep the motivation running!! I also had a French Fry accomplishment last night at Five Guys with DS!! WOOHOO to the moms!!

I am not the person to be answering this. That's when my panic sets in and 'try' to resist picking up the phone - I guess it's open the laptop now - to order a pizza!

I try to keep a few spare dinners in the freezer or I have some chicken breast from Costo (ind wrapped) that cook perfect from frozen and just add some spices on top.

I guess that is a HUGE benefit to living in the boondocks!! Our nearest ANYTHING for food is 8 miles away and it is a local pizza/sub shop. We probably order from them about once every few months.... mostly for DS. I've definitely lost my taste for their pizza. There is ZERO food delivery where we live and if we wanted to eat out (other than the small local "grille"....:crazy2: yuck) it would mean a 30 mile drive into a larger town to go to anything (Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Chili's, Five Guys, Applebee's, etc). So we, by default, eat VERY LITTLE take-out or restaurant meals. Last night's Five Guys was a bribe to get DS to run errands with me!!:rotfl:

Morning again all!! Another day here in paradise!:rotfl2: Dust bunnies are mostly banished from my kiddos' rooms!!:cool1: And I bought every conceivable OTC medicine for DD's trip abroad, plus some snacks to share with her travel buddies. But I forgot to buy her an electric adapter.... the ONE THING I actually had on my list!!!!!!! I'm going to plan to buy it when I am traveling on Thursday.

Today is my WW meeting day, so I'll get some chores done this morning, but then need to spend some time getting prepared. And of COURSE... if I don't start packing for my vacation, I will end up forgetting something!

I'll hold off on a QOTD for now, since things have been SO QUIET and only two of us answered yesterday's! .......................P

My dd had a good party but I'm glad its done. I sent off some of the left over cupcakes. Now I have to avoid them the next couple days. Too much sugar and carbs today.

If all goes well she and I will do the Insanity fit test tomorrow. I'm curious how it will go. Then I'll be modifying a lot I'm sure.

Good luck with Insanity! :cheer2: Sounds like the party was a success! :thumbsup2

Morning all! Is it possible to feel other's PANIC through ESP??? DD is literally ready to hit maximum meltdown right now, and I SWEAR I am feeling her panic! Her SURF group (the internship she stayed on campus for this summer) presents their project on Friday at URI. She moves out AND we go on family vacation at the Lake on Saturday. She will have to work remotely for the Aquarium and for her other project during that week, but at least she will be there with us most of the week (she does have to go to Boston for one day mid-week). Then we return home Saturday and she leaves for 10 days in Ireland and Scotland to attend the International Marine Congress and present the other project she has been working on. And then, of course, she gets a precious 3 days at home before moving back to school for the fall semester. If I am feeling this.....:scared1: feeling, I can't imagine how she is feeling!!!

I've been spending a bit of time organizing the stuff she has been sending home a bit at a time since the spring, so that when it IS time to load up the car to go back to school everything isn't in a heap. So hopefully knowing that will help her relax just a bit. And other than her own clothes, she doesn't have to worry about anything for vacation. And HOPEFULLY she has just the clothes she needs for her trip abroad, because there is literally NO TIME to shop if doesn't have it.

Anyhoooo..... just venting here! It helps me organize my thoughts to see it all in writing here!

Had a good weekend, got a lot done on Sunday, despite the rain. DH finished building the raised garden beds he has been working on for weeks.... so I'm glad he is done AND I can get my side of the garage back! Ate well and stayed mostly OP. Won't do a lot of grocery shopping, as we need to use stuff up before we go away.... and that, of course, will mean that most meals this week will end up being a hodge-podge of this and that. Through an odd variety of events, we have ended up with 5 dozen eggs in the fridge.... so I see a lot of omelets and egg pies in our future this week! :thumbsup2

Off to eat breakfast and get this busy day moving along!...............P

Sounds like busy times at your house, Pamela. I think you will all be ready for a vacation. :beach: What a great summer your DD has had! :fish:

Breakfast for dinner can usually still be easily pulled off when the larder is bare before vacation -- that is what we are having tonight! :thumbsup2

Kudos to you for maintaining while you were injured! :yay: Glad that the foot is almost healed. :flower3:

sparkpeople.com is doing a consistency challenge for August:

Pinpoint the aspects of your healthy lifestyle that could use some fine-tuning and really focus on those. Have you been tracking your food as carefully as you should? Have you really been giving it your all during your workouts? Have you been letting mindless snacking get the best of you? Be honest with yourself to find the areas of your routine that need some extra help. Then, make a commitment to work on those little things consistently for the next month.

Here is the link for info on how to join if you are interested http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=back_on_track_a_consistency_challenge_for_august

I am heading off for vacation -- going to Iowa where DH's family has had a cottage for over 120 years. :beach: So I will see you all on the August thread!

Sounds like busy times at your house, Pamela. I think you will all be ready for a vacation. :beach: What a great summer your DD has had! :fish:

It has been a busy one for her, for sure..... but she has had some great experiences, made some great connections, and definitely done some PERSONAL growing as well (driving herself to Boston, learning to use public transportation, learning to live with roommates). But I'm starting to think that school might sound relaxing after this summer!:rotfl:

sparkpeople.com is doing a consistency challenge for August:

Pinpoint the aspects of your healthy lifestyle that could use some fine-tuning and really focus on those. Have you been tracking your food as carefully as you should? Have you really been giving it your all during your workouts? Have you been letting mindless snacking get the best of you? Be honest with yourself to find the areas of your routine that need some extra help. Then, make a commitment to work on those little things consistently for the next month.

Here is the link for info on how to join if you are interested http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=back_on_track_a_consistency_challenge_for_august

I DEFINITELY need some consistency in a few areas! What a great idea and a great way to finish the summer strong!! Thanks for sharing that!

I am heading off for vacation -- going to Iowa where DH's family has had a cottage for over 120 years. :beach: So I will see you all on the August thread!

Have a WONDERFUL, RELAXING, enjoyable vacation!! See you in August!!..........P

Ooh, I just ordered Insanity! And a set of pushup bars to hopefully save my wrists. I loved, loved, loved my Jillian DVDs (30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30), but I am so burned out on them - I can recite her audio along with her now. :/ I wanted another program with a lot of variety and a bit more challenge, especially because I've really let the cross-training part of my exercise slip - and it shows in my weight loss and my overall tone. I'm still running 3-4 times a week and getting ready for Dumbo, but I need to get stronger overall. I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

With my telework schedule, today's the first day since Hawaii that I've been back on campus in an office. UGH. I did remember to make a lunch last night - and bring it this morning! - so I'm looking forward to taking a real lunch break with my Kindle later today. And with DDs at Camp Grandma, DH and I will likely head out for dinner and a movie again tonight. Luxury!

XO
Liz

I started using the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD this morning. Only made it 10 minutes in, if that. :mad:

However, there is good news to report: With 2 days remaining in the month, and despite my being sick for 10 days and not being able to exercise, I have HIT MY WEIGHT GOAL for the month!

Ooh, I just ordered Insanity! And a set of pushup bars to hopefully save my wrists.

XO
Liz

I just started my 21 Day Fix (another beachbody) dvd yesterday - and I can hardly stand up from the chair/toilet :goodvibes!! Holy smokes!! Lots of great moves - the side hopping then squat to reach ground w/ 1 hand I think killed my booty - but it needs it. Tonight is arms. I like how it's 5 different workouts. I'm like you and get so tired listening to the same spiel over again. I added the bonus disc so it's 7 workouts plus an abs one. I'm not sure I can keep up w/ the Insanity one but it looks good.

Had 2 green smoothies today and a healthy snack of some nuts (had a few extra though later :worried:). Just went to Chipotle since getting off work I had nothing planned for dinner. I swear prep is key! If it was just me I could eat my grilled chicken and veg every night but everyone else gets so tired of that. I had the soft tacos w lettuce and I caved and added cheese. I did their nutrition builder on their website and thought black beans might be healthier but they had more calories than the cheese. I'm sure they're cooked w lard. We skipped the chips and guac too so that was an accomplishment. My ds11 is watching his choices too and he didn't even argue about not getting it.

Well I'm off to do the next DVD!! Arms tonight! So I wont be able to type tomorrow!

I started using the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD this morning. Only made it 10 minutes in, if that. :mad:

However, there is good news to report: With 2 days remaining in the month, and despite my being sick for 10 days and not being able to exercise, I have HIT MY WEIGHT GOAL for the month!

That is WONDERFUL news!! Congrats on making it for the month! Now ready to make a big commitment for August???

I just started my 21 Day Fix (another beachbody) dvd yesterday - and I can hardly stand up from the chair/toilet :goodvibes!! Holy smokes!! Lots of great moves - the side hopping then squat to reach ground w/ 1 hand I think killed my booty - but it needs it. Tonight is arms. I like how it's 5 different workouts. I'm like you and get so tired listening to the same spiel over again. I added the bonus disc so it's 7 workouts plus an abs one. I'm not sure I can keep up w/ the Insanity one but it looks good.

Is 21 Day Fix a BL DVD?? It sounds like something I might like! ETA:.... duh.... I see you said Beachbody. Where does one find these? Target?

Had 2 green smoothies today and a healthy snack of some nuts (had a few extra though later :worried:).

What do you put in your green smoothies??

Just went to Chipotle since getting off work I had nothing planned for dinner. I swear prep is key! If it was just me I could eat my grilled chicken and veg every night but everyone else gets so tired of that. I had the soft tacos w lettuce and I caved and added cheese. I did their nutrition builder on their website and thought black beans might be healthier but they had more calories than the cheese. I'm sure they're cooked w lard. We skipped the chips and guac too so that was an accomplishment. My ds11 is watching his choices too and he didn't even argue about not getting it.

Well I'm off to do the next DVD!! Arms tonight! So I wont be able to type tomorrow!

Actually, I believe all of the beans at Chipotle now are vegetarian.... so while they might have a lot of added fat, it isn't lard any more (recent change at my local Chipotle at least). I do love Chipotle though! I get a salad bowl.... start with romaine on the bottom, add some brown rice and some beans, then skip the meat, put on lots of fajita veggies (usually ask for EXTRA), then some mild salsa and a dollop of guacamole if I am feeling indulgent (although it adds a LOT of calories/Points... but healthy fats!) and that is it! I skip the dressing, the meat, the cheese, and the sour cream... and it is STILL a huge treat!

Good job skipping the chips.... they are always SO TEMPTING!! I read something recently about the NI at Chipotle and the new tofu offering actually has more fat/calories than the chicken.... if you are going for meat, chicken is the "lightest" option they have.

How WONDERFUL that DS is making smarter choices! It is never to early to learn to eat SMART!

Morning all! I told myself I could sit here in my pajamas sipping coffee until 8 am and then I had to DASH to get stuff done here.... but my Mom called and we have talked for the last 25 minutes.... so I need to adjust my coffee-sipping schedule accordingly!!:lmao:

Last night's WW meeting went well, but honestly, sometimes it is like PULLING TEETH to get my members talking! I don't know what I am doing wrong!

Well.... I told DS that he was to set his alarm clock for 8 am and get up early to help me..... and I actually hear someone up.... wonder if it is him or DH????

What's on the menu today, you ask?? EGGS!! We are overflowing with eggs and they need to be eaten before we leave on vacation! I hard-boiled a dozen yesterday, so those will be for snacking probably. I am going to go pull out my mandolin slicer and cut up the remaining onions and peppers and get those sauteeing for omelets this morning! No fruit left in the house, so we might as well eat veggies! I have one home canned jar of peaches in the house and I will probably open that up today for a snack if I get craving fruit too much. It does have a tiny bit of added sugar, but very little. And we have frozen berries for the yogurt.... but other than that.... we are definitely in the PRE-VACATION stage in the fridge! :rotfl:

TTYL.......................P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter