• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2023 (Nov. 2-5, 2023)

The Springtime Surprise theme is also kinda dicey. If you asked me what Lion King, Up, and Peter Pan have in common I’d have a tough time answering but apparently it’s adventure.
Don’t forget lilo & stitch…

But back to W&D I’ve been doing the event since it added the 10k and My favorite 10k medal in years past was definitely 2018 fyi

Not signed up but just came here to say that the 5K medal might be one of the best things rD has ever done!
I love the Figment medal too - the 10K and half medals are...OK.
Now I wish I had signed up! Anyone know if TA's have bibs??

...and why does the 10k have only "support" characters while the rest have main characters? this is why I wish they'd show medals BEFORE registration opened.

...and why does the 10k have only "support" characters while the rest have main characters? this is why I wish they'd show medals BEFORE registration opened.
When they released the themes, the artwork for the 10k indicated that it would be the support characters (which a lot of people are excited about since Cogsworth/Lumiere are rare characters and this means there will likely be a character stop for them or they'll be at the start/finish area for pics.) Belle is already in heavy rotation with Princess weekend, and with the apparent theme of "feasts" for the weekend, the support characters used for the 10k make the most sense.

I’d say 2019 was the last time it was distinctly Epcot. The challenge medal was the 3 caballeros on the Mexico pyramid, the half was colonial Mickey with an apple pie, the 10K was Frozen-themed (also the weakest medal of the bunch). 2021 was villains, 2022 was . . . recent movies and the genie? I know the argument is that they won’t change anything if it keeps selling out, but for a company that places its history and traditions as an important value, you’d think they wouldn’t relegate Wine and Dine to miscellaneous grab bag.

2019 might have been my favorite theming and medals. I'm perfect fo the challenge and disappointed with the random theming. We (my running BFF and I) almost gave up perfect status, but we have a friend celebrating a milestone birthday during W&D and we normally celebrate with her every year at the race so we'll just keep trucking.

Was just in a meeting so wasn't able to post but just to add to this, here's the artwork from the initial announcement. I can't see them ever showing the medal designs prior to registration, my guess is that they don't want to risk showing anything prior to completing production just in case something goes wrong. They're still ahead of other race orgs I've run with in terms of showing medals... for the NYC Marathon I think they posted pics about a month prior to the race, just got an email today about another race medal and that race is happening in two months (and isn't sold out, so they're trying to push sign-ups).

IMG_0258.jpeg

There was a time when we didn't even get themes prior to registration. I can't imagine them showing medal designs prior to registration given how far out you register. We are lucky to get themes.

When they released the themes, the artwork for the 10k indicated that it would be the support characters (which a lot of people are excited about since Cogsworth/Lumiere are rare characters and this means there will likely be a character stop for them or they'll be at the start/finish area for pics.) Belle is already in heavy rotation with Princess weekend, and with the apparent theme of "feasts" for the weekend, the support characters used for the 10k make the most sense.
It was always an assumption that the 10k would be be our guest themed

Though between Belle being the 10k of this calendar years princess as well as featured in other years and Lumiere being the challenge theme in 16 & 18 it’s definitely an over used IP for RunDisney (though if cogsworth is at the start/finish all bets are off)
There was a time when we didn't even get themes prior to registration. I can't imagine them showing medal designs prior to registration given how far out you register. We are lucky to get themes.
Yep… I remember in 19 we were kind of sort of already musing costumes than key art got released that it was Olaf and we definitely flipped the script with what to do

Amen. Just settle on a medal themed to F&W and you don't even have to change it other than the year you print on it. I'd go back to either the inaugural 2012 or the 2013 and call it a day.
Might be harder to get as many repeat runners if the medal is basically the same every year, which would possibly impact Club runDisney sales, and we all know that $$ is Disney‘s primary motivator for basically everything

Might be harder to get as many repeat runners if the medal is basically the same every year, which would possibly impact Club runDisney sales, and we all know that $$ is Disney‘s primary motivator for basically everything

Maybe I'm an outlier but I run because of the course and location, not the medal. For years (decades?) they didn't change the full medal much at all. I don't think a race medal has entered into the equation for any destination race I've done.

I really don't think that is a factor.

My favorites are my first wine and dine - the luggage tag, passport, etc.
That was my first W&D too! I remember so much unique quality merch at the Expo.

Random aside... has anyone else noticed how they shrunk the magnet size. I guess it's easier to fit on a car now? I'm sure that was the reason, right?;)
20230718_210957.jpg

Yup, no one ever signs up for the medals.

It wasn't me who signed up for 4 years of marathons after my only marathon up until that point had been a disaster just for a medal. It was for a melee weapon...
I also didn't decide to do W&D this year solely because of Figment...

HOF-4-year-medal-1024x617.jpg
(Medal in question. It's over 9 inches tall.)

Honestly, a lot of people I've met outside of these forums who rundisney find the medals to be a huge motivator.

If they're going to do potentially their only race ever, they want something pretty to commemorate it with a theme that speaks to them.

Yup, no one ever signs up for the medals.

It wasn't me who signed up for 4 years of marathons after my only marathon up until that point had been a disaster just for a medal. It was for a melee weapon...
I also didn't decide to do W&D this year solely because of Figment...

View attachment 778932
(Medal in question. It's over 9 inches tall.)

Honestly, a lot of people I've met outside of these forums who rundisney find the medals to be a huge motivator.

If they're going to do potentially their only race ever, they want something pretty to commemorate it with a theme that speaks to them.
Oh I definitely run for bling. I don't typically run a race unless there is a medal. That said, I don't think knowing the medal before or after registration would make much of a difference for runDisney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter