Will dogs be allowed at a DVC resort??

I will argue that allowing service dogs (beyond being required by law) is a different thing entirely anyway.

When a pet owner undergoes multiple weeks of partnership training and understands their animal to be a $20k asset charged with protecting their well-being, their care and management of that partner animal is at a different level than you see with most pet owners. If every pet owner met the standard that fully trained service animal partners are held to, it would be a different thing. Allergies are still an issue, but every other behavioral and poop concern? Nope.

Not all service dogs cost that much and not all service dog and owner pairs go through all that training. You're thinking of the highly specialized dogs like seeing eye dogs. There are other service dogs who don't come from that sort of situation.

We were all told no pets at dvc when we bought but if you actually read the contract it is stated that this does not apply to service animals.

Of course it doesn't. Service dogs aren't considered pets.

I'm going to encourage DVC OWNERS to examine their "Declaration of Condominium". MANY of these are similar, across existing DVC Resorts. They are NOT identical.

In the case of the "Declaration of Condominium" for VWL (now BRV), the pertinent section is article 12.9. I've enclosed a screen cap of the article, as the "Declaration of Condominium" for VWL is large.... most Websites will refuse to upload it.

YOUR "Declaration of Condominium" is part of your existing CONTRACT. Unilateral changes to a CONTRACT can indeed be made - they may also be CHALLENGED in a Court of Law, as a Contract Violation.

Phone calls with Member Services: Yes, these have occurred. As with any Phone Call? They can not be documented. I've encouraged WDW to POST a public Statement on this issue, for THEIR benefit. MANY people that MAY be potential DVC buyers are WAITING to see what the real DVC Contract will be.

It's really a bad idea to muddy the Contract, with a number of new DVC Property sale offerings pending....
Confusion on the part of the buyer often results in "I'm going to wait" situations. Bad for potential buyers, WORSE for the seller.

Please - examine the "Declaration of Condominium" that YOU accepted, as part of YOUR DVC Contract.
This can easily be changed if they wanted though I don't think it overly likely they will go the pet route. Anything can be challenged legally, being successful is another matter and I'm confident one couldn't successfully challenge if it were changed.

For those saying there's no indication this may come to DVC I'm afraid you are wrong. On one of the Disney Facebook pages about 4 weeks ago a member had been on the member's cruise and was invited to a cocktail party with Ken Potrock. At that get together they were asked what they thought about dogs being let in DVC. That guy was shot down in flames, accused of inventing the story, Disney would never allow dogs in rooms at hotels etc. He is now having the last laugh as he was obviously reporting accurately.
I believed him at the time and emailed Ken Potrock as did a number of others. I received a call from Me Potrocks' office thanking me for my feedback which would be listened to. Note- no denial of that conversation or the fact DVC have considered the policy.
Don't make your voice heard now, and the only option could be a group attempting litigation to stop DVC unilaterally amending the declaration of condominium.

Dean,

Sorry for my ignorance, but if DVD wanted to make the change, they would have to change article 12.9, right? Would that change need to be voted on by the condominium association of each of the sold out resorts?

Dean,

Sorry for my ignorance, but if DVD wanted to make the change, they would have to change article 12.9, right? Would that change need to be voted on by the condominium association of each of the sold out resorts?
I don't think any change in this area would need to be voted on. To be voted on it'd have to be a change that clearly directly affected the majority of the membership negatively. While I'm sure some will try, I don't think such a change could be thus argued and I don't think the maint fee angle or allergies would satisfy that requirement. Especially since I'm sure they'd set up certain rooms. It's a lot like when they removed smoking, some that were in favor wanted to argue this was a contractual right taken away but clearly they weren't successful.

I don't necessarily agree. I can't think of a category they've changed (micromanaged) off hand such that it makes it unworkable in this area. Plus it creates more work for them if they make it too restricted with their current setup.

I utilize other timeshares and I'm thinking of one with Bluegreen that has at least 9 different 1 BR booking categories and six 2BR categories. The difference is they actually make direct reservations to specific units though you don't know what unit you're getting. They can change them around and often do but this is how the system keeps up with what's available and what's not. You know if you're getting a 1 BR with 538, 590, 602, 863 or 920 sq ft. You know if you're getting a King or 2 doubles in the 1BR and if you're getting a jetted tub or not. Obviously it'd take an overhaul of the reservation system, one that's unlikely to happen short term, but it's certainly very workable to even track it down to a single room without too much trouble from a reservation standpoint.

They've created them - VAKL conceirge and value is the prime example - or any VGC room. OKW near HH isn't unworkable, but I don't think dedicated dog buildings would be either - it would be similarly scaled.

True, but OKW is not well suited for pets. Since all but 3 buildings have no elevator, they would likely require a ground floor room. And at OKW ALL ADA rooms, except in the 3 elevator buildings, are also on the ground floor.

Why would they need a ground floor room? My dogs take stairs, and dogs that are smaller can be carried.

They've created them - VAKL conceirge and value is the prime example - or any VGC room. OKW near HH isn't unworkable, but I don't think dedicated dog buildings would be either - it would be similarly scaled.
But these were up front, not after the fact which was my point. Clearly the concierge and value were special situations as well.

This is pretty interesting......

Administration and Management: In addition to your mandatory membership in the Club upon your purchase of an Ownership Interest in a DVC Resort, you will also automatically become a member of the condominium association and/or the vacation owners association, as applicable, for your Home Resort. Your membership in the applicable associations is governed by the governing documents for your Home Resort including the Declaration of Condominium and/or the Plan Declaration and by the Bylaws of each association. The associations are the entities responsible for the overall management and operation of the DVC Resorts. The associations are not owned by TWDC or any affiliate or subsidiary of TWDC; although, they are effectively controlled by DVD. This control by DVD of the associations arises out of the fact that the Master Cotenancy Agreement appoints DVD as the “representative” of each Unit in each DVC Resort. This means that even after a majority of the Ownership Interests in a DVC Resort have been sold, DVD will control all association matters unless and until DVD is removed as representative by the owners of at least sixty percent (60%) of the Ownership Interests in a majority of the Units in the DVC Resort. DVD will be authorized to cast the vote for a given Unit at association meetings in whatever manner it deems appropriate provided that DVD is acting on behalf of the cotenants as a whole pursuant to its duties under applicable law; and further provided that DVD may not cast a Unit’s vote at an association meeting with respect to certain specific matters without the written consent in advance of such meetings by the owners of sixty percent (60%) of the Ownership Interests in that Unit. This authority extends to the election of the board of directors of the association, as well as to other matters. At least sixty percent (60%) of the Ownership Interests in at least a majority of Units would be required in order for the Members to exercise any significant control over the association. Therefore, as a practical matter, the Owners of Ownership Interests in the Units in each DVC Resort will probably be unable to remove DVD from control of the association throughout the term of the DVC Resort. There are also other limited grounds upon which DVD may be removed as the voting representative of any particular Unit (or from all Units in the DVC Resort, depending upon the votes by Owners). In addition, DVD may not cast a Unit vote as the representative of a particular Unit in a manner that would affect the Owners of the DVC Resort as a whole in a materially adverse way. Each Property Management Agreement is for an initial term of either three (3) or five (5) years and contains terms for automatic three year renewals. Under Florida’s Condominium Act, the Management Company may not be removed as manager of Copper Creek Villas & Cabins, Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bunaglows, the Grand Floridian Resort, Bay Lake Tower Resort, the Animal Kingdom Resort, the Beach Club Villas, the Wilderness Lodge Resort, the Vero Beach Resort, the BoardWalk Villas, the Saratoga Springs Resort or the Old Key West Resort except by the concurrence of seventy-five percent (75%) of the voting interests in the DVC Resort other than the voting interests of DVD if Members other than DVD have assumed control of the association, or if Members other than DVD own not less than seventy-five percent (75%) of the voting interests in the DVC Resort. In addition, pursuant to Florida's Vacation Ownership and Timesharing Act, the Management Company may not be removed as manager of those DVC Resorts unless at least sixty-six percent (66%) of the Members voting (which must be at least fifty percent (50%) of all votes allocated to Members), vote to discharge the Management Company. Under California law, the Management Company may not be removed as the manager of the Grand Californian Resort except upon the vote or written assent of a majority of the voting power residing in Members other than DVD. Pursuant to the Property Management Agreement for the Hilton Head Resort, the Management Company may not be removed as manager of that DVC Resort unless at least sixty-six percent (66%) of the Members eligible to vote at a duly called meeting (which must be at least fifty percent (50%) of all votes allocated to Members), vote to discharge the Management Company.

Seems it would be highly unlikely that DVD would be removed as the managers and therefore the holder of any vote of the condo assoc.....hence meaning they can pretty much vote the way they see fit....in fact....it states that. Not sure how this can be legally challenged with such a specific set of criteria in which they can be removed....and getting the percentages required would seem almost impossible......

For those saying there's no indication this may come to DVC I'm afraid you are wrong. On one of the Disney Facebook pages about 4 weeks ago a member had been on the member's cruise and was invited to a cocktail party with Ken Potrock. At that get together they were asked what they thought about dogs being let in DVC. That guy was shot down in flames, accused of inventing the story, Disney would never allow dogs in rooms at hotels etc. He is now having the last laugh as he was obviously reporting accurately.
I believed him at the time and emailed Ken Potrock as did a number of others. I received a call from Me Potrocks' office thanking me for my feedback which would be listened to. Note- no denial of that conversation or the fact DVC have considered the policy.
Don't make your voice heard now, and the only option could be a group attempting litigation to stop DVC unilaterally amending the declaration of condominium.
I’m curious what the reaction was on the cruise when they were asked if DVC should allow dogs.

Coming from someone with pet allergies in their family, trust me....any allergy special cleaning is not sufficient.

So do you make sure to always request a room that has NOT had a service dog in it? I'm at Kidani right now, and there's at least one service dog here-a big black german shepherd type dog (obviously not exactly a german shepherd though, since it's all black). I even rode on the bus with him the other day-a first for me, since I've never been on a Disney bus with a dog before. But it just reminds me that there HAVE been dogs in DVC rooms already.

The problem with allowing pets is the compounding of dander. Let’s talk about this service dog. How long are they actually in the room? How many days? Time of year? (Shedding fur season?) All of these scenarios account for the amount of dander left in the room. Some react to small amounts some to larger. Just no way to know, everyone reacts differently.

This is pretty interesting......

Administration and Management: In addition to your mandatory membership in the Club upon your purchase of an Ownership Interest in a DVC Resort, you will also automatically become a member of the condominium association and/or the vacation owners association, as applicable, for your Home Resort. Your membership in the applicable associations is governed by the governing documents for your Home Resort including the Declaration of Condominium and/or the Plan Declaration and by the Bylaws of each association. The associations are the entities responsible for the overall management and operation of the DVC Resorts. The associations are not owned by TWDC or any affiliate or subsidiary of TWDC; although, they are effectively controlled by DVD. This control by DVD of the associations arises out of the fact that the Master Cotenancy Agreement appoints DVD as the “representative” of each Unit in each DVC Resort. This means that even after a majority of the Ownership Interests in a DVC Resort have been sold, DVD will control all association matters unless and until DVD is removed as representative by the owners of at least sixty percent (60%) of the Ownership Interests in a majority of the Units in the DVC Resort. DVD will be authorized to cast the vote for a given Unit at association meetings in whatever manner it deems appropriate provided that DVD is acting on behalf of the cotenants as a whole pursuant to its duties under applicable law; and further provided that DVD may not cast a Unit’s vote at an association meeting with respect to certain specific matters without the written consent in advance of such meetings by the owners of sixty percent (60%) of the Ownership Interests in that Unit. This authority extends to the election of the board of directors of the association, as well as to other matters. At least sixty percent (60%) of the Ownership Interests in at least a majority of Units would be required in order for the Members to exercise any significant control over the association. Therefore, as a practical matter, the Owners of Ownership Interests in the Units in each DVC Resort will probably be unable to remove DVD from control of the association throughout the term of the DVC Resort. There are also other limited grounds upon which DVD may be removed as the voting representative of any particular Unit (or from all Units in the DVC Resort, depending upon the votes by Owners). In addition, DVD may not cast a Unit vote as the representative of a particular Unit in a manner that would affect the Owners of the DVC Resort as a whole in a materially adverse way. Each Property Management Agreement is for an initial term of either three (3) or five (5) years and contains terms for automatic three year renewals. Under Florida’s Condominium Act, the Management Company may not be removed as manager of Copper Creek Villas & Cabins, Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bunaglows, the Grand Floridian Resort, Bay Lake Tower Resort, the Animal Kingdom Resort, the Beach Club Villas, the Wilderness Lodge Resort, the Vero Beach Resort, the BoardWalk Villas, the Saratoga Springs Resort or the Old Key West Resort except by the concurrence of seventy-five percent (75%) of the voting interests in the DVC Resort other than the voting interests of DVD if Members other than DVD have assumed control of the association, or if Members other than DVD own not less than seventy-five percent (75%) of the voting interests in the DVC Resort. In addition, pursuant to Florida's Vacation Ownership and Timesharing Act, the Management Company may not be removed as manager of those DVC Resorts unless at least sixty-six percent (66%) of the Members voting (which must be at least fifty percent (50%) of all votes allocated to Members), vote to discharge the Management Company. Under California law, the Management Company may not be removed as the manager of the Grand Californian Resort except upon the vote or written assent of a majority of the voting power residing in Members other than DVD. Pursuant to the Property Management Agreement for the Hilton Head Resort, the Management Company may not be removed as manager of that DVC Resort unless at least sixty-six percent (66%) of the Members eligible to vote at a duly called meeting (which must be at least fifty percent (50%) of all votes allocated to Members), vote to discharge the Management Company.

Not trying to be rude, but if you want anyone to read this use the paragraph break.

The problem with allowing pets is the compounding of dander. Let’s talk about this service dog. How long are they actually in the room? How many days? Time of year? (Shedding fur season?) All of these scenarios account for the amount of dander left in the room. Some react to small amounts some to larger. Just no way to know, everyone reacts differently.

As someone with dog allergies, I completely agree that it's the build up of dander that's the concern. I'm finding more and more that hotels are allowing pets and not limiting them to certain rooms (Marriott Residence Inns have been our favorite but many don't restrict pets to certain rooms).

My DH and I took an anniversary trip to San Francisco last year and rented an apartment through HomeAway. Although the post clearly stated no pets allowed, as soon as we entered the apartment, I could tell there had been a dog there. Turned out the owners frequently stayed in the apartment with their dog! Went round and round with HomeAway, booked a hotel room instead, and received a partial refund. Long story, but the point is that transparency is important!

If Disney had a very clear-cut policy with only certain rooms allowing pets and pets not allowed in common areas, as well as consistent enforcement of policies, I wouldn't worry. Given the mixed messages reported and lack of info forthcoming from Disney, I am concerned. I think it's smart to voice our opinions before they even begin to think about changing the pet policy at DVC reports. Thanks to those who have posted contact info!

So do you make sure to always request a room that has NOT had a service dog in it? I'm at Kidani right now, and there's at least one service dog here-a big black german shepherd type dog (obviously not exactly a german shepherd though, since it's all black). I even rode on the bus with him the other day-a first for me, since I've never been on a Disney bus with a dog before. But it just reminds me that there HAVE been dogs in DVC rooms already.

Actually when we first purchased into the membership, we were, adamantly, told that there are no pets permitted. When we informed them about allergies, they mentioned about the service animals. We then inquired about what we should do to ensure we don't receive a room after them. We were told that service dogs were kept, in most cases, on the first floor. They were quite sure about that and I had no reason not to believe them. This was over 15yrs ago.

However, in the beginning of our membership when I called to book it, I did speak with the CMs about this and I was told, each time, that there is no need to worry and I did not need to make this request. I was told, again, that they are usually assigned a lower floor and just to ask for higher floor. And, this time, they mentioned that there are very few guests who come with service animals that it should not be an issue for us. They also said that if we had allergy issues, we should contact the front desk and explain.

Although I will admit I was quite naive at that point and believed them, it's been 15+yrs and many many stays, with only one stay on the ground floor, and we've had no issues with pet allergies so far. Were we just lucky? Not sure, but adding the possibility of more pets in the rooms will likely have different consequences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter