Will dogs be allowed at a DVC resort??

Rather than repeat all this - going to direct DVC Owners to this post....
https://www.disboards.com/threads/current-situation-dvc-and-dogs.3641848/

Please - read YOUR "Declaration of Condominium". It is a significant portion of your CONTRACT.

I agree. Everyone should look at their specific contract. However, as mentioned before, this contract is not to protect it's members, it's for the benefit DVD/DVC. I'm not an attorney, but I'm sure DVC can find a way to get around this. Without being hysterical, it would be prudent for members to let them know our concerns.

I also believe that most members don't frequent these forums and thus could be unaware. However, if DVC is getting all these emails, I would think they would send out a notice or post on the website and blogs to reassure the members.

I'm sure this is not the first time members have significant concerns. In 15+ yrs of my membership and with all the changes that have happened with DVC policy and benefits, this is only my second time sending an email of concern. So, I'm hoping that my email (and others like mine) would send a signal to them that there's an issue here that needs to be addressed. As I mentioned, a mere reassurance would suffice.

"12.9 No Pets. All pets are prohibited. No pets of any type are allowed on condominium property."

I doubt DVC begins to allow dogs. More than 12.9, dogs in rooms will cause much more damage over time.

That would increase MFs.

I think a large point of the current trial is Disney trying to monetize this trend of people believing they have to take little FruFru everywhere with them.

How does Disney monetize that with DVC properties?

They can't change the point charts to charge more per night for dog rooms. (Well maybe they could but they'd have to decrease the charts for non-dog rooms. I might actually not mind if my average trip was 10-15 points less.)

DVC adding fees would be a new thing and far more dangerous as precedent than dog-enabling.

I dont see how Disney can monetize this in DVC.

And far more compelling as a legal challenge than 12.9 would be challenging the additional MFs that would almost certainly result.

When I sent a pro dog trial policy message to Disney execs one of the responses I got back was from a DVC exec as I had mentioned in the message we were stockholders and DVC members.

Agree with you that when sending a message pro or con hysteria will probably not get the proper notice...just my thoughts.

Yes, exactly. Even though DVC resorts are not included in the trial period, it's very important for them to hear from members. It's much better to voice your concern now than to wait until it's too late and DVC has invested a lot into its implementation and, therefore, would more reluctant to back out of the idea.

I think a kindly worded email about your concerns would be appropriate during a trial period. This is the whole point of a trial period.

I copied Ken Potruck on my letter to Iger, Kalogridis,and Chapek. I included my thoughts on animals not only in the DVC, but the entire walkways around the lake and to the Studios. My husband will also be sending a note.

I agree. Everyone should look at their specific contract. However, as mentioned before, this contract is not to protect it's members, it's for the benefit DVD/DVC. I'm not an attorney, but I'm sure DVC can find a way to get around this. Without being hysterical, it would be prudent for members to let them know our concerns.

I also believe that most members don't frequent these forums and thus could be unaware. However, if DVC is getting all these emails, I would think they would send out a notice or post on the website and blogs to reassure the members.

I'm sure this is not the first time members have significant concerns. In 15+ yrs of my membership and with all the changes that have happened with DVC policy and benefits, this is only my second time sending an email of concern. So, I'm hoping that my email (and others like mine) would send a signal to them that there's an issue here that needs to be addressed. As I mentioned, a mere reassurance would suffice.
They can unilaterally change the POS in this situation but they would hav to change it to allow pets I believe.

They can unilaterally change the POS in this situation but they would hav to change it to allow pets I believe.

And this is what I'm concerned about and the main reason why it's important to contact them.

Yes, it's possible to change the booking process to add yet another category assuming this would guarantee that only pets are to be assigned to these rooms, but we all know that they will not leave a room empty should there be less guest with pets...as with accessible rooms.

As someone suggested before, if there are enough interest with DVC owners, they should build a new resort specifically for this purpose. No need to change any contracts. No need to create an issue. They can make their profits by pricing these rooms appropriately. Although I think this would be the issue. I'm not convinced that the majority of the pet owners would appreciate the increase in cost.

I honestly can't tell what the point of OP is.

Are you saying Disney's new pet policy is against the condo bylaws? If so -- go check the Disney policy. They haven't rolled it out to DVC resorts...so there is no contract violation yet.

See https://www.disboards.com/threads/will-dogs-be-allowed-at-a-dvc-resort.3640629/

This would be the point. A number of DVC owners are concerned. All I've encouraged them to do is READ their "Declaration of Condominium". This is part of their existing CONTRACT.

And this is what I'm concerned about and the main reason why it's important to contact them.

Yes, it's possible to change the booking process to add yet another category assuming this would guarantee that only pets are to be assigned to these rooms, but we all know that they will not leave a room empty should there be less guest with pets...as with accessible rooms.

As someone suggested before, if there are enough interest with DVC owners, they should build a new resort specifically for this purpose. No need to change any contracts. No need to create an issue. They can make their profits by pricing these rooms appropriately. Although I think this would be the issue. I'm not convinced that the majority of the pet owners would appreciate the increase in cost.
There really isn't much they can't change. I am not thinking it likely they will do this with DVC because of the maintenance fee component. But it's a risk we all take to play in their sandbox.

I received a voicemail from DVC in response to my email concerning the trial period for the Pet Pilot program. He said that at this point it has not expanded over to DVC but would forward all of my concerns (which include health reasons) to the executives involved in making further decisions on the Pet pilot program. What I got from this message was essentially DVC was not ruled out, only that it is not included in the current trial.

His comments did nothing to alleviate my concerns. He left his name and phone contact should I have further concerns. I will definitely be giving him a call. PM me for his info if you wish to leave a phone message.

Are pro-dog folks in this thread and others actually comparing dogs vs kids?

It's Disney World, folks...the place was built for kids, and kids at heart.

The expectation of EVERYONE at WDW is lots of people (especially children) having fun. If your expectation is anything other than that, you might want to re-think your choice of vacation venues. There are plenty of places that do not cater to children, but Disney certainly isn't one of them.

Time and place for everything. Kids "fit" at WDW. Always have. Pets do not. Never have.

Are pro-dog folks in this thread and others actually comparing dogs vs kids?

It's Disney World, folks...the place was built for kids, and kids at heart.

The expectation of EVERYONE at WDW is lots of people (especially children) having fun. If your expectation is anything other than that, you might want to re-think your choice of vacation venues. There are plenty of places that do not cater to children, but Disney certainly isn't one of them.

Time and place for everything. Kids "fit" at WDW. Always have. Pets do not. Never have.

I believe the comparison is with kids (and for that fact loud rowdy adults!) making noise/ rowdiness in the hallways. I did make a statement on this thread that I do think my Greyhounds are better behaved than some kids and I stick by that statement especially after our stay last week at WL CL.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I am sure mine won't be changed as I will probably not change anybody else's either.

Last edited:
I believe the comparison is with kids (and for that fact loud rowdy adults!) making noise/ rowdiness in the hallways. I did make a statement on this thread that I do think my Greyhounds are better behaved than some kids and I stick by that statement especially after our stay last week at WL CL.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I am sure mine won't be changed as I will probably not change anybody else's either.

Oh, make no mistake....I wasn't attempting to change opinions here. I was simply addressing the "loud kids" non-issue.

It's Disney World. It was designed for people (mainly kids and kids at heart) to have fun. Fun can be noisy, in general. Much more often than not at WDW. If there is a different expectation at Disney, then WDW is probably not the vacation for them.

Fun doesn't include allergies, fleas, shedding, dander, barking, poop/urine in public areas, and odors....for ANYONE. Yeah...I get it...no one in favor of dogs at the resorts has any of those issues with their dogs. :rolleyes: None of these are an issue to YOU, but I can assure you that they are to others.

I'm not anti-dog at all. We have a miniature schnauzer who is as well-behaved and loved as any dog in the world, and he is part of the family.

My son is past the age of being "loud", but I enjoy the heck out of seeing others' children, or even adults, have the time of their lives at Disney. That's what WDW is all about. It brings a smile to my face. If someone is out of line, I report it. I cannot imagine anyone with a smile on their face seeing someone's dog urinating or taking a dump on the lawn at a resort...even if it is cleaned up by the owner.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts