Will dogs be allowed at a DVC resort??

...and a quick update.....

If you have somehow MISPLACED your "Declaration of Condominium".... Member Services WILL send you an Official Copy of this. We have one on the way....

Actually when we first purchased into the membership, we were, adamantly, told that there are no pets permitted. When we informed them about allergies, they mentioned about the service animals. We then inquired about what we should do to ensure we don't receive a room after them. We were told that service dogs were kept, in most cases, on the first floor. They were quite sure about that and I had no reason not to believe them. This was over 15yrs ago.

However, in the beginning of our membership when I called to book it, I did speak with the CMs about this and I was told, each time, that there is no need to worry and I did not need to make this request. I was told, again, that they are usually assigned a lower floor and just to ask for higher floor. And, this time, they mentioned that there are very few guests who come with service animals that it should not be an issue for us. They also said that if we had allergy issues, we should contact the front desk and explain.

Although I will admit I was quite naive at that point and believed them, it's been 15+yrs and many many stays, with only one stay on the ground floor, and we've had no issues with pet allergies so far. Were we just lucky? Not sure, but adding the possibility of more pets in the rooms will likely have different consequences.

I'm told my allergies to pet hair & dander has likely worsened from repeated exposure. I have a dog with hair (not fur) that is bathed frequently and am fine.

I stayed @ Pop for 5 days near the end of my 16 day vacation the middle of October. Was assigned a HC room on first floor. Had no issues with allergic reaction, but the thought crossed my mind that I hoped a dog hadn't been in residence before us. After reading posts here, will ask from this point going forward but not as easy with the room ready system in place.

The law is the law, however, IMO medically-necessary pet-free rooms should also be instituted in every room category. Otherwise, a guaranteed deep-cleaning should be 'freely' 'offered if requested in advance. Don't see why this isn't an option to indicate when doing advance checkin online or when booking on the phone.

I lost count of how many service animals we saw in the parks this trip, far more than in July. I expect to see even more after Thanksgiving.

Found it troubling how owners were permitting other guests to 'pet their pets'. I thought the concept was you were to never touch a working dog? Makes you think. Found it interesting to see a few german shepherds wearing green training vests @ the TTC platforms.

All the service dogs I observed were well behaved

I would guess that 15 years ago the use of service dogs is not what it is today. Although the CM's probably do try to keep guests with service dogs on the bottom floor, maybe for ease of the guests in case of an emergency, by law the service dog and guests may be in any room that any guests can book. I personally do not think if the trial dog policy was at DVC, this would be at every DVC resort . IF (and BIG IF) dvc ever allows this to happen and if it would be at some resorts they would be ground floor. Just my guess much like many others are guessing about how many dogs could appear at a resort..

Let me say first that I did read your entire post. I read every posts and have not pushed ignore on anybody as I am open minded enough to read different opinions on a subject. I believe when we close our minds to others we stop learning and growing. There are many "what if" scenarios involved in the trial dog policy. Maybe all the bad things mentioned in your posts will happen and maybe the won't....time will tell.

Your bolded statement at the end is lumping every poster who is pro to the new trial policy in one camp and I know good and well many of us (myself included) have said we do understand allergies, fear of dogs, etc. I believe the pro side is just not thinking there will be a wild dog party at every resort complete with people purposely putting their dogs on other guests. Maybe try and think that IF(again BIG IF) dogs are allowed it just might be okay instead of just thinking it will be all bad.

I am missing why separate but equal rooms don't meet the letter of the law. The idea of a floor/section of a large resort for pets is employed at many hotels (i.e. Loews).

There is a huge difference between a trained service animal and a pet.

For many it's a small difference of less than $50 on the internet, wherein one can easily purchase a vest for their pet & proclaim them a service animal

Last edited:
I don't think that DVC will change any of the existing resorts to be pet friendly because of possible contractual problems. It's not at all like the other pet-friendly Disney resorts. At the regular Disney resorts people can simply choose a different resort to stay in, even if their most favorite resort is now dog friendly. People have ownership in the DVC properties and have certain privileges, including the 11-month booking window. They can't just change from their home resort at the 11-month window if they absolutely cannot be around dogs. It detracts from their fair use of their property (I'm not sure if that is the right legal term ;)).

I am on the pro-dog side of the the debate and I would love to be able to take a future dog with me (my current dogs no, one if too old and the other is too yappy). I would like to see dog-friendly language in the contract for new resorts. That way people would know what they are getting into when they buy into that resort.

...and a quick update.....

If you have somehow MISPLACED your "Declaration of Condominium".... Member Services WILL send you an Official Copy of this. We have one on the way....

and again....what does this have to do with Dogs POTENTIALLY being allowed on DVC property?

I don't want to sleep in a bed that a dog has slept in, I vote NO.
I just have to believe that sheets are properly sanitized b/c I wouldn’t want to sleep in a bed after some of the PEOPLE that I’ve seen walking around WDW before.

I don't think that DVC will change any of the existing resorts to be pet friendly because of possible contractual problems. It's not at all like the other pet-friendly Disney resorts. At the regular Disney resorts people can simply choose a different resort to stay in, even if their most favorite resort is now dog friendly. People have ownership in the DVC properties and have certain privileges, including the 11-month booking window. They can't just change from their home resort at the 11-month window if they absolutely cannot be around dogs. It detracts from their fair use of their property (I'm not sure if that is the right legal term ;)).

I am on the pro-dog side of the the debate and I would love to be able to take a future dog with me (my current dogs no, one if too old and the other is too yappy). I would like to see dog-friendly language in the contract for new resorts. That way people would know what they are getting into when they buy into that resort.
I was wondering if they might do this with the new CBR DVC coming.

I just purchased CCV in September, and on page 25 of the "declarations", it says, no pets allowed. So, I don't know how much clearer it
could be. I would vote NO for sure, as you KNOW IF they allow dogs, and had or have all the rules-- No pets in pool area, No pets in
restaurants, No pets in "whatever area", you KNOW that people would abuse it, break the rules, etc...

MY question-- WHO is going to monitor/enforce/deal with the rule breaker? CM? DVC Members? I could see arguments, possible
screaming, fights, etc in the public areas.... A can of worms would be opened up... I HOPE DVC will never entertain this idea.....

DeerH

I just purchased CCV in September, and on page 25 of the "declarations", it says, no pets allowed. So, I don't know how much clearer it
could be. I would vote NO for sure, as you KNOW IF they allow dogs, and had or have all the rules-- No pets in pool area, No pets in
restaurants, No pets in "whatever area", you KNOW that people would abuse it, break the rules, etc...

MY question-- WHO is going to monitor/enforce/deal with the rule breaker? CM? DVC Members? I could see arguments, possible
screaming, fights, etc in the public areas.... A can of worms would be opened up... I HOPE DVC will never entertain this idea.....

DeerH
This is easy for them to change if they want. Without input and without recourse.

Sent an e-mail to DVC...last week we witnessed dogs everywhere where they were not supposed to be .. on the BoardWalk, in the BoardWalk bakery. In the parks...have been visiting the world for more than 20 years...have not seen anything like this. A couple of new posters here seem to NOT be DVC owners. I've got nearly $100,000 tied up in DVC, plus dues. I encourage all DVC owners to contact DVC ...this is so unbelievable.

WDW decided on the new policy.

What new policy? This is the DVC resorts board. As of now, just as always, dogs (outside of service animals) are not allowed at DVC resorts. From the looks of the responses, most of us hope it stays that way. Can it be changed? Absolutely. Would that go against the majority's wishes? Absolutely.

What new policy? This is the DVC resorts board. As of now, just as always, dogs (outside of service animals) are not allowed at DVC resorts. From the looks of the responses, most of us hope it stays that way. Can it be changed? Absolutely. Would that go against the majority's wishes? Absolutely.
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the current new policy is b/c a select few wanted it. I know it’s not at DVC resorts & agree it should stay that way. I think the 4 trial resorts is enough.

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the current new policy is b/c a select few wanted it. I know it’s not at DVC resorts & agree it should stay that way. I think the 4 trial resorts is enough.

No. If you read the post I quoted, it will probably make more sense to you.

This is easy for them to change if they want. Without input and without recourse.

Well...... I wouldn't say without recourse.. Might have 1/2 or 2/3 of all DVC members upset about that change.. And, possibly selling DVC
and it "hits the bottom line"--aka $... Then you can bet the 'powers that be' would change the rule of dogs allowed...

DeerH

Well...... I wouldn't say without recourse.. Might have 1/2 or 2/3 of all DVC members upset about that change.. And, possibly selling DVC
and it "hits the bottom line"--aka $... Then you can bet the 'powers that be' would change the rule of dogs allowed...

DeerH
How would it effect their bottom line? Wouldn’t it just be new owners in this scenario?

DeerH
I trust Disney to do what is best for Disney.

How would it effect their bottom line? Wouldn’t it just be new owners in this scenario?

With resale prices so high, more and more people will decide that resale is not worth the hassle and will buy direct. If resale prices crumble, direct sales will take a hit.

DeerH
Obviously I was referring to the contractual component. The % that will be upset will be fairly small and the % that will want it will be fairly small. But the only way it hits the bottom line is if it affects the sales side, so those that aren't yet members and for add ons. It's unlikely someone would not buy retail due to this issue and the number of sales lost for current member add ons would be practically none. Current members getting upset and complaining or even selling does not affect the bottom line. I think this is like the valet parking issue, lot's of bark but no bite. While certainly the time to make preferences known is now, I doubt DVC does this and if they do, it is not difficult to do so reasonably esp at the larger resorts that don't have a ton of booking categories.

I think all we can hope for is that the trial period is an epic fail and that people are vocal about what they are seeing (rules not being followed, etc).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter