Why we didn't get any free souvies as resort guests:

As I said, a token gift would have been a nice gesture for the 50th celebration.

They were charging rack rates for all rooms and the cost of a pin or even a magnet is minimal, yet it would have been 'magical' for the many ultra loyal Disney fans who were there to celebrate a milestone anniversary. Sometimes even a minimal expenditure can return much more to a business in terms of goodwill. Don't they teach that in business school anymore? Or is it just a brutal, make the money, disregard the customer mantra? Doesn't seem like a good long-term business plan.

Again, I am trying only to compare the current Disney experience to the precedent that Disney has set in the past. so with that in mind, I agree with the OP. In October 1999 at the start of the Millennium Celebration, we received special Luggage Tags prior to our stay at the Yacht Club. So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that it would have been a smart business decision for Disney to give a small 50th anniversary keepsake to customers who are paying full rack rate to stay on property. I mean seriously, how much could it have hurt their bottom line to include a small luggage tag or pin with every room reservation.

You guys I went to a pizza place the other day and I was SO pissed that they didn't bring me a free cannoli that I never asked for. Absolutely outrageous.

Well Capt. it’s funny that you chose that example because that’s exactly what my local family owned pizza place did on their 25th anniversary. They gave an assortment of cookies and cannolis with every pie they sold on that day. It’s just good customer service that pays off in the long run.

Boski, your outrage is misdirected.

I have complained to Disney about services and I have been compensated many pinsworth. The pin is not about money.

I wouldn't write over a pin. Today I wrote GS an email complimenting an exceptional CM today. Hope the CM sees it.

Also I'm not sure why my complaint is less valid than any complaint on these boards. My complaint would probably be the quickest/easiest fix. Are you listening, Mr. Chapek?

Philosophically though, there are posters here thinking that I am ridiculous for wanting a free commemorative pin for my once every 50 years rack rate anniversary stay, but there is not similar outrage that a CEO earns mega millions while CMs work like dogs for peanuts. It's really weird. Surreal.
So if all guest staying on property were given a pin you'd be cool with that and wouldn't have made this thread? What kind of pin are we talking? Like that set thats in there? Or could Chapek just break each set down and give each room just one?

As I said, a token gift would have been a nice gesture for the 50th celebration.

They were charging rack rates for all rooms and the cost of a pin or even a magnet is minimal, yet it would have been 'magical' for the many ultra loyal Disney fans who were there to celebrate a milestone anniversary. Sometimes even a minimal expenditure can return much more to a business in terms of goodwill. Don't they teach that in business school anymore? Or is it just a brutal, make the money, disregard the customer mantra? Doesn't seem like a good long-term business plan.
I mean we got a pin set at AKL once (I think?) because there was some kind of resort construction going on. And by the fact I can’t even remember which resort, you can see it didn’t even affect my trip. But zilch for this does feel….tone deaf. I’m afraid that kind of magic is gone for a while, as long as the CEO is in “recovery mode” and busy “maximizing monetization” (or whatever the phrase was, from the warnings call) versus making magical experiences for guests.

I can remember Disney putting pins in the room on special occasions. I wish they would have done that, but knowing the way management operates, I wasn’t surprised they didn’t.

I mean we got a pin set at AKL once (I think?) because there was some kind of resort construction going on. And by the fact I can’t even remember which resort, you can see it didn’t even affect my trip. But zilch for this does feel….tone deaf. I’m afraid that kind of magic is gone for a while, as long as the CEO is in “recovery mode” and busy “maximizing monetization” (or whatever the phrase was, from the warnings call) versus making magical experiences for guests.

We got a set of pins in our room at WL once because the resort was undergoing construction.

ETA: if I recall, they had little hammers and construction gear - they were cute...

Last edited:

So if all guest staying on property were given a pin you'd be cool with that and wouldn't have made this thread? What kind of pin are we talking? Like that set thats in there? Or could Chapek just break each set down and give each room just one?
I'm using the term 'pin' to = any trivial commemorative gift. When I saw that $500 pre-order I just really felt the corporate greed and it was sad.

A little souvie something on 10/1 would have been magical, sorry you don't see it that way.

It's like this pixiedust: :welcome: :hug: :smickey:

That costs Disney literally zero. A lot of people who went are AP holders, Disney loyalists, who probably didn't need it, or resellers who didn't want it, likewise media and bloggers who were not interested. Whatever. Not a trinket in the room, sad for the prices being charged, my opinion.

Carry on cheerleading.
It would also have zero value to anyone who had already purchased it for the week. If Disney wanted to rebate $70 to those people I'd have some respect for that.

People seem to be getting fixated on the fact that the OP didn't get some sort of trinket which is understandable given the post however it really does miss the point. Disney has always attempted to promote themselves as beyond the standard business, they weren't focused solely on the profit, it was about the magic. Little touches such as small gifts helped promote that because as a customer we knew they weren't obligated to offer such things so it made it seem like Disney really was about more than just the bottom line. It was malarkey of course but as long as guests walked away from their experiences feeling they had gotten more than they paid for there was an accumulation of goodwill towards the brand. Recent moves have made some guests look at Disney as just another you-get-what-you-pay-for-and-nothing-more business. I still expect I will enjoy my upcoming trip but when I look at it as just another financial decision it makes it harder for me to justify spending a lot of money on future trips. I doubt I'm alone in beginning to look at a Disney vacation as more of a financial decision and it will be hard for me to justify the high cost when there are other quality options out there competing for my disposable income.

Last edited:
Is housekeeping going into rooms everyday now? If so, then yeah, this would make sense. At the same time, how do you tell which guests went to MK that day vs. people that avoided it and went to the other 3 parks? I think that’s why they try to give those things away to the people that actually attended the event.

I was there for the opening of Pandora and Galaxy’s Edge and I don’t remember anything being in our room either.
I believe that while they don't do housekeeping every day, they do still do daily room checks.

Funny, a few times when I was staying at the All Stars there was an envelope on the bed, with my name typed in a pretty script font, and inside a very nice notecard with a gold Mickey embossed on it welcoming me to the resort. Next to it was a little gold mesh bag filed with a few gold foiled Godiva chocolates.

Once when I was at POFQ, they left one of those flat cardboard puzzles on my bed,

If they can do this on a regular day for a regular person, they can certainly do something for resort guests on this momentous anniversary.

My math may be imperfect, but...

There appear to be 36,555 rooms in WDW resorts.

Assuming rooms were 100% occupied on Oct 1st, if WDW spent $5 per room for a token gift per room, that would cost them about $183,000.

WDW revenue averages (I'm told) $19.68 million per day.

So that $5 token gift (that I think would have generated far more than $5 of Magic-created lifetime goodwill per family) would have cost them $183,000/$19.68M, or about nine tenths of one percent of one day's revenue.

Seems like a bargain to me. But I'm not Bob Chapek, so...

And just like most of the 50th merch, it was probably all bought up by resellers. Soon coming to an eBay near you for $1500 a pop.
Yep. Couldn’t find the new Starbucks mugs. Ridiculous. I hope they make millions of them and they’re available for the next 18 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter