Why do I torture myself?

TP bumped my week from 3's and 4's to 8's and 9's yet there is still a ton of FP availability a week out and tons of ADR availability as well. I think TP is not that useful anymore.

It annoys me to no end that they lead people to believe there are "slow weeks." Then they send an email like that and everything explodes with people freaking out.

I wish people didn't pay attention to crowd calendars.
And that is Mardi Gras week that the OP got the update about. Mardi Gras week has always been packed when I’ve gone no matter what week it falls in that year. But, crowd calendars often seen to overlook this until the last minute.

I stopped using crowd calendars several trips ago & have never looked back. I expect it will always be or feel crowded (and it is) so I’m never disappointed anymore. I used to get so annoyed when I thought I had picked the perfect week. I don’t understand why ppl refuse to believe so many of us who say repeatedly on these boards that it is always crowded now. Go when you want but expect crowds!

We are going to first week of March and this is concerning! We chose this week thinking it would be moderate crowds since people don't usually have spring break the first week of March yet. And now the week is all 10's when on every other crowd calendar that exists predicts 5-6? Isn't that a bit drastic? 10's every day? I'm trying to take it with a grain of salt since I think the reasoning on the blog post explaination sounds a little outlandish considering the first week of march is not traditionally spring break...it says:

"Thanksgiving 2018 was busier than expected. Our models treat that as evidence that other peak weeks will be busier too. That is partly why we see large increases during early March, a big week for Spring Break. However, the second half of March sees changes on this update in the downward direction."

Is the first week of March really a "peak week..."? I don't even think Disney thinks so considering the pricing.
It’s Mardi Gras week which is always packed. Many ppl & crowd calendars overlook this.

There’s no doubt it will be busy the first week of march. But I doubt 10s the first week of March, since touring plans is the only crowd calendar predicting 10s.

We went last year the week of Jersey week, which was also Veterans Day week. It was busy for sure, (FOP wait times were 210 minutes the whole week we were there) very busy in fact, but not what I would consider a 10. And I cannot see a week like the first week of March, that is traditionally predicted one of the lowest crowds of the year skyrocket to a 10. 7-8 maybe. But not 10.
Like a pp said it’s all subjective but Mardi Gras weeks are some of the largest crowds I’ve ever experienced & I’ve been Thanksgiving week, Memorial Day, spring break (not Easter week), summer, nye week etc. In my experience, Mardi Gras weeks are 2nd only to NYE crowds & about equal with Thanksgiving.

We were there over Mardi Gras in 2018 and actuals wound up being 8/10 & 9/10... every single person from La seemed to be there. Luckily y’all are easy to spot in your head to toe LSU gear and super friendly demeanors!
We were there too (of course) & it was packed. DH swore off Mardi Gras weeks for a long time after last trip!

And that is Mardi Gras week that the OP got the update about. Mardi Gras week has always been packed when I’ve gone no matter what week it falls in that year. But, crowd calendars often seen to overlook this until the last minute.

I stopped using crowd calendars several trips ago & have never looked back. I expect it will always be or feel crowded (and it is) so I’m never disappointed anymore. I used to get so annoyed when I thought I had picked the perfect week. I don’t understand why ppl refuse to believe so many of us who say repeatedly on these boards that it is always crowded now. Go when you want but expect crowds!

Yes I got tired of explaining Mardi Gras to people here and on Facebook. LOL

They don't understand that it's a different date every year I guess. Gotta love lunar holidays hahaha

Out of curiosity, for those that buy and use the crowd calendars, would you continue to use if your trip is at a 7/8 but ends up being at a 4/5?
On the same note would you continue to use and buy if it was the opposite scenario?
I didn’t buy it for the crowd calendar, but I’ve utilized the line app on almost every trip I’ve been on. And this trip I’ve used the reservation getter which has been a game changer for me. I only wish they come up with the same system for hard to get FP+.

Maybe someone with Touring Plans can tell us the actual MK crowd numbers for Wednesday 1/2, Thursday 1/3 and Saturday/Sunday 1/5 and 6. We chose Thurs. and Sun and were pleased. I looked Wednesday and saw 8 rides over 100 minutes.

Looks like Wed-Sat were all 10s. Sun it dropped down to a 7

Do people who attend Mardi Gras enjoy the festivities say Saturday-Tuesday and then head to Disney for a week? Just curious.

Do people who attend Mardi Gras enjoy the festivities say Saturday-Tuesday and then head to Disney for a week? Just curious.

Everyone I know leaves the weekend before Mardi Gras. Some schools go back on Wednesday and some are out all week.

The New Orleans airport will be pretty busy, so the sooner we get out the better :)

I didn’t buy it for the crowd calendar, but I’ve utilized the line app on almost every trip I’ve been on. And this trip I’ve used the reservation getter which has been a game changer for me. I only wish they come up with the same system for hard to get FP+.

A system like that might work from 60 to maybe 2 days before but day of they're going to be gone before a text could even be sent.

I’ve done both. The big weekend of parades is this weekend before Mardi Gras day. Most ppl I know do parades that weekend & head out on Monday.

A system like that might work from 60 to maybe 2 days before but day of they're going to be gone before a text could even be sent.

That has not been my experience. I have often used the touring plans reservations finder to find get an ADR on the same day in places like BoG for lunch and the Rose and Crown for a late evening dinner so we can watch Illuminations from their deck. There's no guarantee, of course, but it has worked for me many times. I wouldn't discount it for same day ADRs.

That has not been my experience. I have often used the touring plans reservations finder to find get an ADR on the same day in places like BoG for lunch and the Rose and Crown for a late evening dinner so we can watch Illuminations from their deck. There's no guarantee, of course, but it has worked for me many times. I wouldn't discount it for same day ADRs.

But the comment was about FP+, not ADRs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter