Why do Americans say "Craig" funny?

ps I have enjoyed a glass of white wine this afternoon & believe this may be helping my linguistic skills. :-) In the immortal words of Jimmy Buffett (a North American icon like Elvis & John Cash), it is 5 o-clock somewhere!

Yep, nailed it!!!
Ok so another Aussie thing, I after your wine afternoon, I'd probably call you a pi--head. Lol
This could get dangerous, girl! At first glance, I thought it said "piggy head". Then I counted the spaces. Nope. Not so bad. We're cool :-) Off to apply more wine.

I thought Craig rhymed with Meg - more like Crehg than Crayg. Has @Teleclashter chimed in yet? It's his name, so he'd know best, right?
I don't mean that y'all say it "wrong" just different, going by the way it's spelled, Aussies say it that way, but Americans accent or something means it's said completely differently, not wrong, but different.
If Craig was born and bred down under, he would say it like I say it, but he wasn't, so he says it the way he does.

He did however say it once in a show similar to how we say it, and joked (or was serious? Who knows right? It's Craig after all) about it being Irish or Scottish.

Here's a different one . . . my grandparents and parents always enjoyed a cup of tea with dinner. We have a Canadian brand called "Red Rose" which is a blend of orange pekoe. This is our family's stock tea. However, my brother and I aren't big into drinking tea at all. When in university, I had the Sleepy Time herbal tea and such but now for dinner I either have a glass of wine or water. The habitual tea drinkers seem to have died out with my parents generation. Princess Jes (Australia) and BagofLaughs (England), do you still habitually drink tea with dinner every night or has your generation also lapsed/lost this old British Empire tradition?

Here's a different one . . . my grandparents and parents always enjoyed a cup of tea with dinner. We have a Canadian brand called "Red Rose" which is a blend of orange pekoe. This is our family's stock tea. However, my brother and I aren't big into drinking tea at all. When in university, I had the Sleepy Time herbal tea and such but now for dinner I either have a glass of wine or water. The habitual tea drinkers seem to have died out with my parents generation. Princess Jes (Australia) and BagofLaughs (England), do you still habitually drink tea with dinner every night or has your generation also lapsed/lost this old British Empire tradition?
Certainly not with dinner, but a cup of tea after dinner (or coffee in my MIL's case) is common.
My dad doesn't drink coffee, he's a tea man, and he always had a cup of tea after dinner.
I'm a mid-morning tea drinker, and I have MANY different types of tea at home, Earl Grey being my favourite.
But I'm also a "coffee in the car on the way to work" gal. Love coffee, and not that stuff the Yanks drink. ergh!
Melbourne is well known for being the Coffee capital of Australia, serving the most amazing coffee and having countless cafe's on every corner. We have a wonderful selection.
But as I said, I do love my tea! Loose leaf where I can, I cant stand the taste of the paper bags anymore, but if I'm desperate, I'll drink it.

Not the stuff the Yanks drink???
I have 100% kona or Joe's Dark. I grind it fresh each morning and use a french press. Kona Cafe has spoiled me. I can't do convenience store coffee.

But I'm also a "coffee in the car on the way to work" gal. Love coffee, and not that stuff the Yanks drink. ergh!

By yanks, do you mean the 'whole' of the US??? If so, no, we don't all drink the same type/kind coffee. I'm a deep south girl and we love our dark/french roast - definitely not the kind you grab on the way to work!! :goodvibes We also like our tea 'iced' and sweet!!! :thumbsup2 'And', we also say y'all, and end lots of words with 'r' (winder (window) tomater (tomato). No, actually most of us don't speak like that, but lots of 'ole timers' still do! :) There are so many ways to speak in the good ole US of A depending on which area you live in!

I am a Chock Full 'O Nuts, French Roast addict, and have hooked many others, sometimes to my financial detroment, by being WAY too generous with my pods! :sunny: Sam - friend of mine is a diehard Red Rose tea drinker, but does find it hard to locate at times, here in the U.S. (didn't know it was a Canadian brand). And Jes - when I used to drink tea (haven't in awhile), one of my faves was Earl Grey! :)

Last edited:
By yanks, do you mean the 'whole' of the US??? If so, no, we don't all drink the same type/kind coffee. I'm a deep south girl and we love our dark/french roast - definitely not the kind you grab on the way to work!! :goodvibes We also like our tea 'iced' and sweet!!! :thumbsup2 'And', we also say y'all, and end lots of words with 'r' (winder (window) tomater (tomato). No, actually most of us don't speak like that, but lots of 'ole timers' still do! :) There are so many ways to speak in the good ole US of A depending on which area you live in!
Oh no! I don't grab a crappy brew on the way to work. I use my Nespresso machine and pop it in a travel mug!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter