Why do Americans say "Craig" funny?

Ps. I'm firmly in the "MAH" camp ;-)

Oh, I just thought of something, quite funny actually, because it's to do with my name.

Jessica, it sounds SOOO good when an American says it. God I love it!
When Aussie's say it, (we are notorious for being lazy with our words, shortening everything) they leave off the "I" so it comes out more like "Jess-ca"
Now, because when I was a little Princess Jes, I liked to be a bit different, so I spell Jes with one "s".
Now, my immediate family don't call me Jes like the rest of the world, so they actually call me (and when in text, write it this way) "Jesca" because that's how it comes out.
Now, you want to hear something adorable, listen to my niece try to say "Aunty Jessie" so good!!
Aunty seshie!!!!!

Even Aussies wouldn't eat a mouthful of Vegemite.
I lean more to the heavy handedness of Vegemite, and the best way to eat it us on crumpets or English muffins with lots of butter.
You have one half with Vegemite, one half with peanut butter, then, put the top back on the bottom, the top with the peanut butter, and it will melt onto the Vegemite. It's a taste sensation!!!
I also think our peanut butter might be different from yours. Not as sweet. And we love a good crunch peanut butter!![/QUOTE]

Vegemite and honey or Vegemite and jam sooooo good

The only person I know who has ever drank Fosters was Granny!!! Bet the last can is still in dads fridge
That wouldn't surprise me.
I lean more to the heavy handedness of Vegemite, and the best way to eat it us on crumpets or English muffins with lots of butter.
You have one half with Vegemite, one half with peanut butter, then, put the top back on the bottom, the top with the peanut butter, and it will melt onto the Vegemite. It's a taste sensation!!!
I also think our peanut butter might be different from yours. Not as sweet. And we love a good crunch peanut butter!!

Vegemite and honey or Vegemite and jam sooooo good[/QUOTE]
I'd eat a spoonful of Vegemite!
Vege and honey is ok, but not as good as with peanut butter

Actually one last thing: what's up with your toilets?! (Also called a loo or dunny, but dunny is a bit country for me)
They're so large and long oval shaped and filled with water!! Freaked me out the whole time I was there

I noticed this too! I'm so glad its not just me. But the North America toilets are very different but quite comfy. Also in public toilets sometimes there's a gap in the stall door! I can see people walking past... its quite unerving.

Also "public restrooms" what do you do in there? Have a nap? :rotfl: In UK on maps its either shown as WC or just Toilet (classy I know)

I also think our peanut butter might be different from yours. Not as sweet. And we love a good crunch peanut butter!!
Vegemite and honey or Vegemite and jam sooooo good[/QUOTE]

I hadn't thought about this before... mixing vegemite/marmite with peanut butter or jam. I could image this could be quite nice... right, next time I go to my mum (who is a prolific marmite eater) I might try this.

I can't remember if i mentioned this before but UK peanut butter is also not sweet at all. Its actually quite savory. Our ingredients are usually just peanuts and a bit of veggi oil.

Oh OK i've got another one... In Australia you call a utlitity vehicle a Ute?? No idea how to spell it?

I think the equivalent in the UK is just a pick up truck.

Also in the UK we have Vauxhall and I know in Europe they're called Opal. So they have Opel Corsa/Astra e.t.c we have Vauxhall Corsa/Astra e.t.c. Same car, different name and badge.

What are they called in elsewhere?

Holden Astra :) Aussie as!
Haha, yes, we have the Astra. It was always Holden Astra (Holden being a part of General Motors I believe) but a few years ago, they stopped making them, and the Opel version came out.
Holden have just announced the return of the Astra.

So you have both Holden and Opel?? that's confusing! haha. I might have to google the history of these companies, it sounds like some company got took over and kept the Brand name or something.

What are they called in elsewhere?
We don't have Opal or Astra here. European makes?

A pickup here is called a pickup, or a truck or sometimes by the brand name eg Dodge (Ram) or Ford (Silverado).

We have loads of Sport Utility Vehicles on the roads which we call SUVs or sometimes by the brand name Jeep.

Every once in a while, we see a Range Rover and/or a Hummer but most are North American makes or Asian.

While North American car manufacturers used to dominate the market (Jeep, Ford, Chrysler, GM), Toyota, Honda, Kia have all become incredibly popular in the past 10 years. I have a used Chrysler SUV and personally prefer to support North American auto workers with my purchase. However, I have friends who have become brand loyal to Toyota (eg the compact Camry) and will buy nothing else. On some imports (eg Kia) the initial sticker price is priced somewhat lower than many North American makes but the parts for repair are still much higher.

Our best buy here for price & value has long been the mini-van. Never exciting or a status symbol but enduringly practical. Both North American & Asian makes including the Chrysler Town & Country or the Kia. Can often purchase new & fully loaded at the tail end of the year for under $20K. When I was a teenager, we had a Chrysler mini van. My Dad would embarrass me on a regular basis in front of my friends by referring to it as the "maxi wagon".

In most Cdn cities, the majority of cars now sport special snow tires for the winter to improve traction & stopping distance. However, they are expensive to purchase, must purchase all 4 to be useful and must pay labour at a garage to install and remove each year. There is a good argument that they work well for many imported rear-wheel drive compacts and sedans. However, I drive a front-wheel drive SUV, have 4 wheel drive as a plus, and have only known North American front-wheel drive vehicles. The key to winter driving in Canada is to slow down, slow down and, oh yes, slow down some more. Also to drive into your spins if you start to lose control on the ice. I have too many neighbours who get the snow tires on their imported BMWs and then hit the gas and ignore the winter driving conditions believing they can drive at full speed as if it were summer. A false sense of security, for some.

So you have both Holden and Opel?? that's confusing! haha. I might have to google the history of these companies, it sounds like some company got took over and kept the Brand name or something.
Well the Astra is a Holden or an Opel. I've only seen one Opel on the road in the 2-3 years it's been here though.

I drive a hyundai and it's awesome. Love it. Same parent company as kia

I dunno. Maybe it's the same reason some British person pronounced "duck" like a nasally, shortened "duke". If I hadn't seen the bird they were talking about, I would have had no idea. By the way, the peanut butter we eat has peanuts only in it. We grind it ourselves at the store from roasted peanuts. No sugar in it. Perhaps the variety of peanuts used is different here. They wouldn't be savory unless different spices were put in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter