Why do Americans say "Craig" funny?

What about drizzle? As a term for describing light rain...
Yes. Both in Canada & the US. We also have freezing drizzle plus freezing rain plus sleet. Oh, we get all the fun, freezie stuff in the Northeast. :-) This is when we need a double, double in Canada. Sadly, not a double shot of booze. Which, we probably need with the freezies. But a double, double is actually a Canadian Tim Horton's coffee that has two shots of cream and two shots of sugar. Personally, its a little too sweet for me . . . more like a thin dessert coffee.

Do you get Snowmageddon in the UK? Guessing this isn't an event in Australia :P But possibly in the alpine areas of NZ for the kiwis?

Yes, we definitely use that term

And this one.
So a drizzle is a misty rain, but when it's light rain, not misty but small drops, not heavy rain, we call that "spitting" which out of context, it's gross! Lol

Ah yes, quite right. Drizzle is misty rain and light but non misty rain is spitting...

It usually spits before a big deluge of rain lol.

Do you get Snowmageddon in the UK?

No! what is Snowmageddon... it sounds amazing.

In the UK we get 4 inches of snow and the whole country basically stops. We just can't handle it very well. its hilarious and hugely frustrating at the same time.

Snowmageddon (also known as Snowzilla) is a big blizzard lasting several days that leaves a ton of snow. We've had too many snowmageddons over the past few years. They seem to like Ontario, the Maritimes and the US East Coast way too much. Because we get significant snowfall every year, our municipal budgets earmark significant $ for snow removal, sanding and salting of roads.

Re other weather events, we do get small twisters in Ontario. While not widespread (and nothing like the tornadoes in the American midwest & south), they are certainly destructive in the small path they follow.

At least we haven't had a Sharknado! Well, not yet o_O

How did everyone feel about Craig pronouncing his name on the trip last week?
I thought it was typical "I get and appreciate Craig's sense of humor, especially when it's self deprecating" funny, especially when he did the "Scottish pronunciation bit". :)

Last edited:
Apparently what we call a kebab is different in the states too.

A Greek gyros (with the shaved neat) is a kebab in Victoria (other states call it something else) but if it has chunks of meat, it's a souvlaki.
Also, meat on a skewer, cooked on the BBQ can be called a kebab but usually just a "skewer"
"Grab some chicken skewers for the Barbie"

Some older gen people call the skewers that have capsicum and onion as well, shaslicks.

I have heard the term "shashlik" used for meat/vegggie combinations (not sure if skewered or not) by some "Slavic" people - which is part of my ancestry.

My dad calls them a shaslick.
All I can ever think of is "shishkabob" from Edward Scissor hands.
But then, a Shishkabob (my spelling is terrible) is more Indian/Middle Eastern is it not?

Jes - OK I think I finally got a handle on how you pronounce Craig. It's like "kreeg" but with a short "e". Something like the German word for war - "krieg". As in blitzkrieg. Did I get it? Finally?? Or is it still a work in progress? LOL.

ps our buddy BagoLaughs from this thread wrote an incredible Disney Trip Report a few months ago. If you haven't already checked it out, its under "Disney Trip Reports" and titled "Lets just do everything . . ." and first started Oct.7.15. Wow! She had one incredible vacation. :-) And that girl can write!

This thread is so informative and fun! I'm American and live in the US. Sometimes the words we use for certain things can vary a lot based on what part of the US you live in. Here are a few examples:

Soda / fizzy drinks:
  • soda
  • pop
  • Coke
Sandwiches with big thick rolls/bread, meat, vegetables:
  • sub
  • grinder
  • hoagie
Athletic shoes: (often called trainers in the UK)
  • sneakers
  • tennis shoes
Machine that spits out water when you press a button:
  • water fountain
  • in Rhode Island, it's a "bubbler"
Standing in line, waiting your turn for something:
  • on line
  • in line
  • if you're at WDW or Disneyland, queue
How we greet each other:
  • How are you? (but we really don't want an answer, this is like saying "Hi")
  • Wassup?
  • 'Sup?
  • Howzit? (very common in Hawaii)
  • sometimes you'll just get a head nod in your direction and a "Hey!"

Other fun terms in American English:
  • a car park is called a "parking garage" if it's a multistoried structure. Otherwise, it's a "parking lot."
  • When we go to a big building with a bunch of movie screens to see a movie, we call it "going to the movies," not the cinema.
  • When an American uses the word "quite," it means "a lot." so the phrase, "That movie was quite good," they're saying "the movie was really good!"
  • Sometimes, people will say "Oh I am so STOKED to see Star Wars!" This means that they're excited. Common in CA where I grew up...big surfer culture.
  • "No problem" = "I'm happy to do this for you" and "You're welcome."
  • "Bye Felicia" = "That person is really annoying and irritating and I wish that he/she would just leave me alone." It comes from a 90's movie called "Friday."
Words that mean "good" or "great":
  • awesome
  • wicked
  • hella (as in "that movie was hella cool")
  • sick
  • good
  • great
  • fantabulous
Words that mean, literally "nothing":
  • nothing
  • zero
  • zip
  • zilch
  • nada
  • nil

One more!
Words that mean "crazy":
  • nuts
  • nut job
  • nutter
  • 5150 - this is a reference to a particular section of California state law that states the conditions under which someone can be put in an involuntary psychiatric hold. In every day use, one would say, "Did you see that crazy lady at Walmart? She's a total 5150."
  • crazy
  • crackers
  • schizo
  • psycho
  • insane
  • weird
  • batsh** crazy (not your regular crazy, but REALLY crazy)
  • whack job

Love the PPs post. Think I just drilled up an old(er) thread and have "Released the Kraken!" Didn't really mean to get it rolling again. Just when you think its safe to go on the DIS Boards. Here we go . . . :-)

Jes - OK I think I finally got a handle on how you pronounce Craig. It's like "kreeg" but with a short "e". Something like the German word for war - "krieg". As in blitzkrieg. Did I get it? Finally?? Or is it still a work in progress? LOL.

ps our buddy BagoLaughs from this thread wrote an incredible Disney Trip Report a few months ago. If you haven't already checked it out, its under "Disney Trip Reports" and titled "Lets just do everything . . ." and first started Oct.7.15. Wow! She had one incredible vacation. :-) And that girl can write!
Haha nope... It's like "Cray-g" like day but remove the d and add Cr and a g on the end.
I need to work out how to record it and post for y'all to listen to!

This thread is so informative and fun! I'm American and live in the US. Sometimes the words we use for certain things can vary a lot based on what part of the US you live in. Here are a few examples:

Soda / fizzy drinks:
  • soda
  • pop
  • Coke
Sandwiches with big thick rolls/bread, meat, vegetables:
  • sub
  • grinder
  • hoagie
Athletic shoes: (often called trainers in the UK)
  • sneakers
  • tennis shoes
Machine that spits out water when you press a button:
  • water fountain
  • in Rhode Island, it's a "bubbler"
Standing in line, waiting your turn for something:
  • on line
  • in line
  • if you're at WDW or Disneyland, queue
How we greet each other:
  • How are you? (but we really don't want an answer, this is like saying "Hi")
  • Wassup?
  • 'Sup?
  • Howzit? (very common in Hawaii)
  • sometimes you'll just get a head nod in your direction and a "Hey!"

Other fun terms in American English:
  • a car park is called a "parking garage" if it's a multistoried structure. Otherwise, it's a "parking lot."
  • When we go to a big building with a bunch of movie screens to see a movie, we call it "going to the movies," not the cinema.
  • When an American uses the word "quite," it means "a lot." so the phrase, "That movie was quite good," they're saying "the movie was really good!"
  • Sometimes, people will say "Oh I am so STOKED to see Star Wars!" This means that they're excited. Common in CA where I grew up...big surfer culture.
  • "No problem" = "I'm happy to do this for you" and "You're welcome."
  • "Bye Felicia" = "That person is really annoying and irritating and I wish that he/she would just leave me alone." It comes from a 90's movie called "Friday."
Words that mean "good" or "great":
  • awesome
  • wicked
  • hella (as in "that movie was hella cool")
  • sick
  • good
  • great
  • fantabulous
Words that mean, literally "nothing":
  • nothing
  • zero
  • zip
  • zilch
  • nada
  • nil

One more!
Words that mean "crazy":
  • nuts
  • nut job
  • nutter
  • 5150 - this is a reference to a particular section of California state law that states the conditions under which someone can be put in an involuntary psychiatric hold. In every day use, one would say, "Did you see that crazy lady at Walmart? She's a total 5150."
  • crazy
  • crackers
  • schizo
  • psycho
  • insane
  • weird
  • batsh** crazy (not your regular crazy, but REALLY crazy)
  • whack job
A lot of that is similar in Australia.
We call shoes you'd wear while running or at the gym "runners" and converse chuck Taylor or vans are sneakers.
We call a parking garage a parking lot
Instead of "no problem" we say "no worries"
And very often instead of hello or hi, we say "how you goin?" Often with no actual answer required or the same in return.
What you'd call a sub or hoagie, we'd just call a roll. Like, unless you go to subway specifically, you'd say "do you want a salad roll?"
We also use bubbler but that's a regional thing in the state or Queensland. In Victoria we say a water fountain or a drinking fountain.
We say "in line" or "queue" and we "go to the movies" also.
We say "quite" a lot also and something I think is very localized in Melbourne/Victoria is to say "heaps"
"Yeah that's heaps good"
Something my dad hated was when I'd say "massive" or "heaps" before a contradicting word:
"Yeah it was heaps small"
We use all the words that you listed for good except hella and fantabulous, they're a bit outdated here.
We also casually swear quite a lot.
The C bomb gets thrown around in casual conversation and depending how it's used can mean a positive thing or a negative thing
A sick---- is a good thing "did you see Johnno skull that while beer? He's suck a sick----"
Then there's "dumb----" and that's self explanatory.
I dislike the word in general but sometimes its necessary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter